Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Introducing: Grinding Station

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Re: Introducing: Grinding Station

Quote Originally Posted by spacecaptain View Post
    Im looking to learn how to play combo in legacy and this deck looks like a great starting point. I have sleeved it up and goldfished a bit, but never seem to be able to reliably storm for 20. I'm sure its because I dont understand all the interactions between the cards in this deck. Jona, have you recorded any of your games playing this deck? I'd love to see what the typical lines of play are.
    I don't play on MTGO, so there are no videos. What Dark Ritual said is mostly right though, you can't really goldfish this deck, but not for the reasons he stated. If you want to learn the deck, play against Canadian Threshold a lot. It's a good matchup, but only if you play well. It teaches you to read your opponents and, since they have an actual clock, gives you a good feeling for when to go off. Also, they can interact with pretty much anything you can do, which teaches you to play around multiple things. Them having a multitude of (soft-)counters also gives you a good sense how to sequence your spells.

It's also important to know when to go off against Maverick of Stoneblade. Usually you should avoid getting hit with equipment. The postboard plan is the one you can more or less reasonably goldfish, but that's not hard. Still, goldfishing them is what you're looking to do most of the time.

Regarding cantrips, I almost never cast Gitaxian Probes before my combo turn, but that depends on how I'm looking to go off. They're crucial for regular storm chains, so you should hold onto them. If you're looking to go off with Past in Flames or Ad Nauseam though, you can cast them to be faster.

The other cantrips depend. I like to keep at least one of them for my combo turn (preferably a Brainstorm), but excess copies get cast early. Note that Burning Wish can count as a cantrip, if you're only looking to use it for +1 storm. Again, this is only true if you're going for the naural storm ten kill, which I do most of the time.

Mini Tendrils, almost never. I don't remember using it even once over the last few tournaments. It's still reasonable against UR Delver and Burn though. I tend to play very aggressively with Empty the Warrens though. Whenever I open it, I try to go for it turn one.

I'd like to see how the metagame shakes out after AVR though - I think Grinding Station might not be the best deck in the format anymore, and that sucks because it was so easy to win with it. I think it depends on how much people are willing to beat combo with Maverick and if people are running Thunderous Wrath. That card is pretty good, although the downside of being quasi-sorcery is nice for combo players.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...1&iddeck=59740

interesting PiF-hybrid using Manamorphose, I'd squeeze in Probes and some number of Tendrils, so you can kill from hand more often and dig efficiently after PiF

-why was initial idea of multiple PiF in Grinding Station abandoned? I play 2 in regular Ant and its great

This deck looks interesting, and it may be SIMILAR to what I am playing. My list is very different, but I will share.

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    1 Preordain
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Duress
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Cabal Therapy
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 LED
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Grim Tutor
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Scalding Tarn
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    2 Island
    1 Swamp

SB
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Xantid Swarm
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Echoing Truth
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Dread of Night
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek

I have played TES, ANT, and High Tide in quite a few tournaments, and I can easily say that this Storm list works best for me. I don't choose to draw with this deck (like I see it says in the OP). I don't play a set of Tendrils. I find that the deck is too slow with more than 1 Tendrils, and you have enough Storm with the Tutor loop which is more consistent anyways. Playing the Grims gives you both more Tendrils and more Past in Flames and I think 2-3 Grim Tutor is optimal in this deck. So I don't know if my list actually qualifies as "Grinding Station," but it seems similar enough.

For me this deck plays better than ANT against anything other than fast combo decks like Belcher. Even in the ANT "mirror" you are often able to win on attrition in the discard war, but it is a coinflip if your opponent is good. Having the Empty the Warrens in the deck really helps in some matchups, and having the option to turn 1 12+ goblins after you Probe and assess the situation is very good. Don't underestimate Cabal Therapy + goblin tokens; that has won me many games.

Change the SB to suit your needs. I like the Xantid Swarms because they are a necessary evil against Show and Tell. I would say 80% of my Show and Tell opponents bring in Leyline of Sanctity, so I always board in the Swarms as well as the Echoing Truth, and that helps trump the Leylines. Otherwise, you are going to have to make some goblins blind and pray, and that usually doesn't work out... This combo deck is slow like ANT, so I like the Surgicals for Tin Fins, Reanimator, and TES.

The list is very tuned; I play a lot of Legacy locally, and travel occasionally (top 8ed a Legacy GP, 9th at the last SCG Invitational, just trying to prove I have a little experience :) ). I am always changing the SB based on which way the wind is blowing in the metagame, and the 2 slots I mess with are the 1 Thoughtseize main (which used to be a 3rd Therapy) and 1 Preordain main (which could be a 3rd Grim, but sometimes you need more discard...). Please test it, and let me know what you think!

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Your list is rather similar to the newer lists we played. I didn't get to play much in general lately and mostly played Team America or BURG, but a friend of mine has been rather succesful with this list:

4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Sensei's Divning Top

4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Rain of Filth

1 Bayou
    1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island

4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Duress
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Ponder
    3 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Thoughtseize

//Sideboard
    1 Helm of Awakening
    3 Carpet of Flowers
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Chain of Vapor
    1 Burning Wish
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains

Personally, I don't like the Leyline package and prefer to have two Ad Nauseams in the board (it's nice to have a way to go off with few resources against BUG decks and it's also better in combo mirrors in my opinion). Other than that, the deck is pretty strong. I'm kind of working on a new list though and might end up sharing it after Bazaar.

I guess it's Helm of obedience instead of awakening no ?

Jun 2013
    Hasselt, Belgium

Does anyone have an up to date list for this deck? Thanks!

It's helm of obedience + balck leyline.

I can also imagine to put ad nauseam in the sideboard and swap the deck postboard into Ant against some archetypes

- Team RUG-STAR Berlin -

Jun 2011
    Dortmund/Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Jin Gitaxias View Post
    Does anyone have an up to date list for this deck? Thanks!
    The list is still the same, the board differs though.

4 Brainstorm
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Duress
    4 Infernal Tutor
    1 Rain of Filth
    3 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Bayou
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp

Sideboard
    2 Chain of Vapor
    1 Ad Nauseam
    4 Dread of Night
    1 Burning Wish
    2 Krosan Grip
    4 Abrupt Decay
    1 Swamp

I don't really get the burning wish in the sideboard ,what is the reason behind it?

- Team RUG-STAR Berlin -

Dec 2010
    Eindhoven, the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by sawatarix View Post
    I don't really get the burning wish in the sideboard ,what is the reason behind it?

- Team RUG-STAR Berlin -
    Surgical Extraction

Colonizer of Dreams

Aug 2009

You can also bring it in, when you board in Ad Nauseam for the faster matchups to swap another cmc 4 card for a cmc 2 card.

What happened with the 4 Burning Wish build,which seems to be grinding stations origin

- Team RUG-STAR Berlin -

Sry for double posting,

Are there any good finished in the last couple of months with this deck?
    Are there any changes or anything new to this deck?

Nov 2014
    Drammenn Norway

Closest to my mind would be Pascal's MKM victory in Rome

Sep 2006
    Gent / Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by Madsk View Post
    Closest to my mind would be Pascal's MKM victory in Rome
    2 more lists at Praag
    http://www.pragueeternal.com/prague-...ay-legacy.html

And again Pascal Wagner so I'm guessing Rome was no coincidence ;)
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what's for lunch.

http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=17543&iddeck=132038

Two "Grinding Station" at Lille's top16.

May 2019
    San Diego

why is it called grinding station?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Cuz it's grindy.
    -rob

May 2019
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Cuz it's grindy.
    fair enough

May 2019
    San Diego

4x Infernal Tutor
    1x Dark Petition
    2x Past in Flames
    2x Tendrils of Agony
    1x Empty the Warrens
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Cabal Ritual
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Lion’s Eye Diamond
    1x Chrome Mox
    3x Preordain
    4x Ponder
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Duress
    2x Thoughtseize
    2x Cabal Therapy
    1x Wipe Away
    2x Underground Sea
    1x Volcanic Island
    1x Badlands
    4x Polluted Delta
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    2x Swamp
    1x Island

Sideboard (15):
    1x Karakas
    2x Tormod’s Crypt
    1x Surgical Extraction
    2x Hope of Ghirapur
    1x Spell Pierce
    1x Flusterstorm
    1x Chain of Vapor
    3x Echoing Truths
    1x Ad Nauseam
    1x Massacre
    1x Thoughtseize

Ive been playing this list, which I guess qualifies as Grinding Station. I have found that green tends to be unecessary and just adds in too much variance, as well as succeptibility to wasteland which is prominent in my meta. I aslo found that I never seem to want to take a creature of thoughtseize, and am considering just using duress. When do people bring in Ad Nauseam? I have tried bringing it in against other combo decks and decks like lands which are combo/prison, but really do not find it effective, and would rather play like nights whispers or even Echo of Eons honestly.

Thread Information