Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Archtype] Jund B/G/R

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

[Archtype] Jund B/G/R

So I did a search and I saw a few threads trying to get this conversation going but alot of them are old. I would like to get this thread going to start some conversation.

For the most part this color combination is unexplored, and I'm not totally sure why. The colors go well together and make up for the weakness of the other.

A few sample lists.

Sligh Style

Beats
    4x Goblin Guide
    4x Dark Confidant
    4x Tarmogoyf
    2x Grim Lavamancer
    1x Eternal Witness
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    2x Thrun, the Last Troll

Reach/Removal
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Chain Lightning
    3x Maelstrom Pulse

Disruption
    4x Thoughtseize
    3x Blightning

Tutor
    3x Sensei's Divining Top

Land
    4x Wooded Foothills
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Taiga
    3x Bayou
    1x Badlands
    2x Forest
    2x Mountain
    1x Swamp

Rockish:

4x Birds of Paradise
    4x Dark Confidant
    4x Tarmogoyf
    1x Thrun, the Last Troll
    2x Eternal Witness
    1x Scavenging Ooze

Removal/Reach
    4x Lightning Bolt
    3x Maelstrom Pulse
    3x Go for the Throat

Disruption
    4x Thoughtseize
    3x Hymn to Tourach
    3x Blood Moon

Misc:
    3x Green Sun's Zenith
    2x Liliana of the Veil

Land
    4x Wooded Foothills
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Taiga
    2x Bayou
    1x Badlands
    3x Forest
    1x Mountain
    3x Swamp

Feel free to give feed back on the lists but they are more to open up discussion. I plan on doing tests on the Sligh list.

Cards that should/could be considered:
    Bloodbraid Elf
    Cabal Therapy
    Pernicious Deed
    Life from the Loam
    Fireblast
    Dismember
    Keldon Marauders

Possible cards for the Sideboard:
    Pyroblast
    Red Elemental Blast
    Firespout
    Engineered Plague
    Extirpate
    Surgical Extraction
    Krosan Grip
    Ancient Grudge
    Last edited by Brushwagg; 11-17-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: [Archtype] Jund B/G/R

From my brief experiment in the goodstuff archtype discussion:

IBA JUND

1 Ooze
    1 Witness
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Dark Confidant

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Pernicious Deed
    4 Lightning Bolt

4 Wasteland
    18 Lands

Mar 2007
    RI

I had a list together a while ago that worked sort of off the CA idea of Standard/Type 2 Jund - it was solid against "Fair" decks ie agro and control, it gets hosed by combo w/o Blue's counters or White's hate bears. It was something along the lines of...

Creatures 16
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Eternal Witness
    3 Bloodbraid Elf
    2 Veteran Explorer

Spells 21
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Hymn to Torach
    3 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Unearth
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Terminate

Land 23
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Bayou
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Swamp
    2 Forest
    2 Taiga
    2 Badlands
    2 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Mountain

SB had...
    Extirpate
    Blood Moon
    Jund Charm
    RE/Pyro Blast
    Ancient Grudge
    Darkblast

Mega Shark VS. Giant Octopus!
    Jan 2009

I posted a deck I titled "Tacky Aggro" recently that I've been testing for a while. And I mean recently.

3 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Forest
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Mirri's Guile
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Taiga
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Hypnotic Specter

//SB
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    4 Ancient Grudge
    4 Deathmark
    2 Duress
    4 Pyroblast

I like this list because it has some pretty wacky ways of dealing with the opponent's threats while still being aggressive. Admittedly, I'd probably like to do something about the 1-of Maelstrom Pulse, but I don't really know whether it would be good as a 2-of or if it should just be put back in the deck (and what to do with the slot that would be opened or closed).
    feefox: each card in hand!!!!
    ridicolous
    only fortune

I've been working on a control deck of jund colors for awhile now. It askews some of the cards that'll undoubtedly get me flamed for omitting in order to survive until the mid to late game. Its all about incremental advantage and grinding out wins.

Land:
    3x wasteland
    3x grove of burnwillow
    3x forest
    2x swamp
    2x mountain
    2x verdant catacombs
    2x wooded foothills
    2x bloodstained mire
    1x taiga
    1x badland
    1x bayou

Creatures
    4x elvish visionary
    4x eternal witness
    4x bloodbraid elf

Planeswalkers
    2x garruk wildspeaker

Instants/Sorceries
    4x duress
    4x thoughtseize/IoK
    4x terminate
    4x maelstrom pulse
    2x krosan grip
    4x punishing fire

Artifacts
    3x Sensei's Divining Top

Its got hard match-ups against burn, show and tell, and to a lesser extent MUD, but its tons of fun to play because you always have options. Garruk is actually really strong cause his +1 allows for lots of p.fire recursion which clears the board for his overrun to turn the weenies into killers. In order to increase the creature count I've been experimenting with -2 thoughtseize and -3 tops for +4 corrupt court official (bringing it down to 60 cards), with mixed results.
    Hope this helped,
    -Mono

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

If I was playing in the SCG meta I'd play Bloodbraif Elf + Choke maindeck

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

@Hymn: I found the BB to be a little hard to hit without BOP. I was playing but I cut it right away.

@Storm Combo: This is probably going to be the hardest match-up. They can just win befeore you play anything. But if the deck can preform some early hand surgery and follow up with some quick beats and burn I think it can win before Storm can recover. I'm going to test this match-up but I'm still going to say it will end in their favor.

@Most other decks: Other then Storm, this archtype has alot of tools to fight evwerything else. I'm looking foward to testing.
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

Jan 2009

I've won against storm, but it wasn't easy. I had incredible luck with starting sevens and I knew I was playing storm before hand (because the player told me). IoK is what really pulled me through in G1 and G3.
    ridicolous
    only fortune

With SFM/batterskull being the most common kill condition out there, don't underestimate K.Grip as a MB option. Its the only thing that kills batterskull before they can bounce to their hand, and dodges junk like spell pierce, FoW, and daze all days.

I think the strongest thing that this deck could potential break would be a Burning Wish board. BRG provide alot of sorcery options that would fix its worst match-ups real quick. Its something that I haven't explored very much, but I probably should be.

@Hymn: you could run half of Rise // Fall. Storm combo doesn't run that many lands so it should basically be a Hymn most times
    Last edited by Mono_Thematic; 11-17-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Jan 2009

I think that if I were to choose between Rise // Fall or Hymn to Tourach I would go with Hymn. Double black is not the problem, it's the double colored mana.
    Also regarding Batterskull, running K. Grips or Ancient Grudges MD might not be worth it considering it isn't that easy to get into play w/o SFM, which is in bolt range.
    ridicolous
    only fortune

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

Also regarding Batterskull, running K. Grips or Ancient Grudges MD might not be worth it considering it isn't that easy to get into play w/o SFM, which is in bolt range.
    To add to this a well placed discard spell deals with it also.

As I said before I feel the weakest match is Storm combo, and I'm fine with that. With the small number of it showing up I'm not totally worried about it. The decks I would look at is Stoneblade, RUG (Thresh and non), Reanimator, Merfolk, Goblins, Junk and Zoo. All those decks your chances of facing are the greatest and I feel these colors can deal with all.

Double black is not the problem, it's the double colored mana.
    No the problem seemed to be the double Black on turn 2, and allowing my list to run smooth. Thats why I went with Blightning, but I'm still considering Cabal Therapy.

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

Glissa, The Traitor + Engineered Explosives. Run that, along with Stronghold, and that seems like a pretty solid Rock foundation and not as mana intensive as Deed.
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

Jan 2009

Yeah, I'd say that engineered explosives is an option (in a control build), but Glissa doesn't seem very good.

I'm getting tired of Wasteland, since it leads to annoying times against decks that can use it better and is also completely useless against decks that play basics (well not completely). I've decided to test:
    -4 Wasteland
    +4 Mishra's Factory
    Because I like running 22 lands for consistency and less vulnerability to land hate/targeted discard. Factory is a mana sink that can help late game against a lot of decks (I like it in Pox). So yeah, that's what I'm testing now.
    ridicolous
    only fortune

Just gonna plug one of my favorite cards Destructive Flow. I have no idea if it's worth the deckbuilding restrictions but with allied and enemy-colored fetches now it may be feasible.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by bowvamp View Post
    Yeah, I'd say that engineered explosives is an option (in a control build), but Glissa doesn't seem very good.
    How about running her as a GSZ target along with a few copies of EE?

Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    How about running her as a GSZ target along with a few copies of EE?
    I guess this all comes down to if BowVamp approves... we'll just have to wait and see ^^

It doesn't seem like a bad idea. I honestly never played rock builds in Legacy, but with cards like Witness, Pulse, and control shell it seems pretty good. Although, I don't see why you wouldn't use Sensei's Divining Top if you're gonna go that route too. I hate this whole archetype, why did I post here LOL... oh yeah, I'm bored.
    --Ihsan's Shade

Jan 2009

Also, I love destructive flow! That card might be a little hard to run, but I remember the Flow Rocks list I used to play in extended and it was incredibly devastating back then.

Also, sorry if I come off prickish, I wasn't saying "I disapprove" so much as I was saying that I was unsure of how useful Glissa would be. I guess with GSZ, her mana cost becomes much less prohibitive.

Sorry that you feel that way about Jund, MJ. Also, if you don't like the rock version you could run a more controlling version with less creatures, or a Sligh-like list. I think this thread is just for most everything BRG that isn't Aggro Loam.
    ridicolous
    only fortune

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Jan 2009

Heh, just giving you crap. Actually, one pet card of mine that actually could fit in a more control mid-deck build is Drop of Honey.

It'd obviously mean you'd have to change the curve a bit, dropping out all the mana elves, but the card's a beast at messing up tempo against aggro it literally plays right into your favor if you'd running Deed/EE and some recursion engine.

Creatures like Thrun, Goyf, Tombstalker and Witness come to mind. As long as you're at least tied for creature with greatest power it works as sort of a one-sided Abyss which will just wreck most tribal. Actually, considering Drop says "destroy" and doesn't target, the idea of locking a Thrun on board with one seems hilarious against a weenie deck, I think that's pretty much game over then.

I'm not really sure if Destructive Flow is worth it... it seems like a badass card, but like the mana base correction and fact that it's only one land at a time beginning of their upkeep seems kinda mediocre, almost makes me think why not just SB Bloodmoon for w/e you'd really actually need that? I dunno, for its cost it needs 2 upkeeps and targets to be better than stone rain :/
    --Ihsan's Shade

Dec 2010
    Montreal

The Sligh idea isn't a bad one at all. I could see a tricolored burn deck perform well with a splash of green for Goyf, Kird Ape, and some sideboard KGrips while black offers Bob and Bump in the Night. Sort of like a Zoo deck with more direct burn, here is what I have in mind:

Creatures (20)
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Kird Ape
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dark Confidant

Spells (20)
    4 Bump in the Night
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Lightning Bolt

Lands (20)
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Badlands
    4 Taiga

A more rock style deck is what is interresting me the most though. I don't think Destructive Flow is a possibility with 3 colors, the opportunity cost this card implies is too great for its effect (alike Suppression Field). The main issue with a BGR deck is that choosing red over white is a downgrade in almost every aspect. For example:

-Swords to Plowshares becomes Terminate;
    -Vindicate becomes Maelstrom Pulse;
    -Noble Hierarch becomes Birds of Paradise;
    -Qasali Pridemage becomes Vithian Renegades;
    -Stoneforge Mystic becomes Grim Lavamancer;
    -Knight of the Reliquary becomes Bloodbraid Elf;

and that is excluding all the sideboard hate that white provides that actually gives midgame decks a chance to fight back against combo. What red has best to offer are moon effects and direct damage spells. The first one is only good in 1-2 colors deck and the second one is most effective in faster, all-in-ish strategies. I really can't think of a red package that would warrant a red splash in a BG deck over blue or white.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Thread Information