[Article] Cook's Kitchen: Changing Tempo

Aug 2006
    Hudson Falls, NY

Re: [Article] Cook's Kitchen: Changing Tempo

Neat article.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Nice article and analysis. At first sight it seems a bit hard to manage your mana with all those BB costs and only 19 lands compared to TA usual of 22/23.
    Also i couldn't help but imagine how such a deck would have been with snapcaster red and delver black (and note too feel more black than blue, but whatever). Curse you wotc.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Awwww, I thought he was actually going to have a deck using Flash Reaver again for a minute. I used to love that card. It just screams ballsy by playing it at all.

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

How are you liking no basics?

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

I like the article, and I love the Grixis Tempo list. I also happen to have the entire thing sans maybe a REB lying around somewhere here, so I think I will sleeve it up and give it a spin! :)

Thanks for writing this up, good work!

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Would definitely love to see an actual tournament report with this baby.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Smother > GFTT/Dismember.

That is all.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I've been running Ubr Dreadstill lately, and I've been sold on not running green for quite a while. Lately I've been tempted to cut Dreadnoughts for Delvers entirely to make the deck more consistent (but less explosive). (-4 Delver of Secrets, +4 Phyrexian Dreadnoughts, -1 flex spot, +1 Trickbind.

I agree with Bryant that Green is unnecessary, and that both red (Grim Lavamancer, Lightning bolt) and black (Dark Confidant or Tombstalker, removal (see below) ) offer more to the deck than green and Tarmogoyf.

I'm on the fence about Go for the Throat vs. Dismember vs. Ghastly Demise to supplement Lightning Bolt. I think that it comes down to a metagame call; if you expect to play against Affinity, you can't run Go for the Throat; if you expect to see Tombstalkers and Dark Confidants, you can't run Ghastly Demise. If you expect to see Knight of the Reliquary, you are better off not running Dismembers. I would take these slots and metagame appropriately, with extra removal in the board.

Either way, I think that Ubr is a better color choice than Urg or Ubg.
    InfoNinjas

Bryant Cook

I ran the deck in our Syracuse local tonight and went 5-0 through the swiss beating Dredge, Maverick, Enchantress, RUG, and Bant. Then forced the top 4 playoffs and lost to RUG.

I lost to myself in top four for not being aggressive enough. My opponent mulled to five and my hand was...

Stifle, Wasteland, fetchland, Delver, Hymn, REB, and REB. I decided to play Fetchland, pass. Hoping that I could Blast his first turn cantrip, Delver, or Stifle a fetchland. Instead we sat there while he drew lands and I didn't. I probably should've been more aggressive. Oh well.

Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I ran the deck in our Syracuse local tonight and went 5-0 through the swiss beating Dredge, Maverick, Enchantress, RUG, and Bant. Then forced the top 4 playoffs and lost to RUG.

I lost to myself in top four for not being aggressive enough. My opponent mulled to five and my hand was...

Stifle, Wasteland, fetchland, Delver, Hymn, REB, and REB. I decided to play Fetchland, pass. Hoping that I could Blast his first turn cantrip, Delver, or Stifle a fetchland. Instead we sat there while he drew lands and I didn't. I probably should've been more aggressive. Oh well.
    How are your matchups against Maverick and Bant? I take it that KotR is a handful pre-board, of course, but otherwise?

Also, have you tested much against Snapcaster.dec - I found that with TA (where I played 4 Delvers, 4 Goyfs, 3 Tombstalkers) it was really difficult to keep a threat on the table against StPs with flashback. The threat density in this deck is more or less the same as in my TA, with the difference that this doesn't run Ponder to find them, or an additional threats (Jace) in the board.

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Interesting Article.

Question is if Terminate is good enough to risk having awkward casting costs.

The best thing green has to offer (at least for BUG) is pernicious deed. Anyway deed is nedded for BUG to beat creature based matchups and is much stronger in BUG control than TA. Question is if bolt & lavamancer make that much difference that the sweeper is not needed.

Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Quote Originally Posted by catmint View Post
    Interesting Article.

Question is if Terminate is good enough to risk having awkward casting costs.

The best thing green has to offer (at least for BUG) is pernicious deed. Anyway deed is nedded for BUG to beat creature based matchups and is much stronger in BUG control than TA. Question is if bolt & lavamancer make that much difference that the sweeper is not needed.
    Not that I think it is completely transferrable, but when I played UBr Tempo Faeries with Tombstalkers, Bitterblossom, Vendilion Clique and Spellstutter Sprite over the creature package that this UBr Tempo list has (the rest is rather similar), I used to run the rather awkward removal package of 3 Bolts, 1-2 Smother and 2 Terminate, and Terminate was fine during the months when Reanimator was really popular around here, since all of their creatures ignore both Bolts and Smothers (though Iona still turned off Terminate all the time).

However, KotR is indeed a problem for the deck pre-board, but there are numerous ways for it to deal with her post-board, and the BR casting cost means that it is that much more difficult to flash Terminate back with Snapcaster Mage than Dismember or Smother/GftT would ever be, at least that's what it looks like to me on paper.

Terminate could warrant testing though, but I don't think I will try and cram in a 20th land just to swap out GftT/Dismember.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Good article and interesting list. Maybe you should make a thread for Grixis Tempo in the Developmental Decks forum.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

I came to the same conclusion that this is one of the best tempo decks at the moment. I started to play UBR Stiflenought, but cut Dreadnoughts and Jace.

/ Lands
    3 [ON] Polluted Delta
    1 [U] Island (2)
    3 [B] Underground Sea
    4 [B] Volcanic Island
    4 [TE] Wasteland
    4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire

// Creatures
    4 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
    4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
    3 [TO] Grim Lavamancer
    4 [ISD] Delver of Secrets/Insectile Aberration

// Spells
    3 [4E] Lightning Bolt
    3 [SC] Stifle
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    3 [DIS] Spell Snare
    3 [NE] Daze
    4 [MM] Brainstorm
    3 [AP] Fire/Ice
    3 [M10] Ponder

I performed pretty well in a local tournament 4-2 and made top 8.

Matchups: 2 x Burn, Stoneblade, Counterbalance/Punishing Controll, Affinity, RUG

I would play 2 Fire/Ice and 4 Lightning Bolts now.

Bryant Cook

The problem with your list is that there are only four beaters and zero creatures that can block and live. It really loses the tempo element. Also, black with no Hymn to Tourach? Card is ridiculous.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by miko View Post
    I came to the same conclusion that this is one of the best tempo decks at the moment. I started to play UBR Stiflenought, but cut Dreadnoughts and Jace.

/ Lands
    3 [ON] Polluted Delta
    1 [U] Island (2)
    3 [B] Underground Sea
    4 [B] Volcanic Island
    4 [TE] Wasteland
    4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
    There is no reason to play Bloodstained Mire over Scalding Tarn in your list.

Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Sleeved up the Grixis Tempo deck and took it for a spin around my local play group today, with some neat results, I like how the deck plays - and the Grixis colours joins together so many cards that I want to play (Lavamancer, Tombstalker, Hymn, Brainstorm - it's almost like cheating).

I didn't think too highly of Mental Note (and even called it Mental Misstep a couple of times) before, I used to run it as a 3-of back in the day when I played Birdshit in Vintage, which was basically a progenitor for the classic UGw Threshold in Legacy. However, today it was simply awesome, T3 Tombstalker against Reanimator, Brainstorm into Mental Note is basically an Ancestral for UU which also feeds your graveyard for Lavamancer etc. I love the card, and I was happy to grab it out of my old binder again.

However, I think the manabase could use some work. For some reason, I was either manaflooded or colorscrewed all day, and I don't know how to fix that - perhaps with more shuffling :P I also hate the Badlands, mulling to six and opening Badlands + 5 spells or Badlands, Wasteland + 4 spells is a nightmare. I think it is a neccessary evil to be able to cast Hymn and Lightning Bolt reliably. I have the same love-hate relationship with non-blue duals in other Tempo decks, like Bayou in TA, for example.

Overall, the deck is a blast, and the board is fine, although I'm thinking about cutting the singleton EE for something like another Submerge, having 1-ofs with only Brainstorm to find them seems clunky. Submerge, by the way, is a total beast, and I don't think I would go below 3, at least not here where KotR decks, Loam decks and Junk still are quite popular.

2 Spell Pierce
    3 Submerge
    4 Pyroblast (instead of REB in the off-chance that you need to target a land in order to feed a Tombstalker or a Lavamancer)
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Surgical Extraction

I think this is what I would sleeve up if I were to go to a tournament today.

Thread Information