Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: YES! Tom LaPille is gone!

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Re: YES! Tom LaPille is gone!

First announcement upon his replacement - Unhinged and Unglued now legal for tournament play.

:O!

Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterGuy View Post
    Can we get a recap of his various stupid statements?

I'm familiar with his feelings on Great Sable Stag and Modern but what is the gentleman's agreement thing?
    The "gentleman's agreement" was the reason why Mystical Tutor decks weren't completely dominating tournaments smaller than GPs. Basically, when the stakes were relatively low, players agreed to not play their ridiculously overpowered, broken, dominating Mystical Tutor decks and instead play worse decks that were more fun or something.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    The "gentleman's agreement" was the reason why Mystical Tutor decks weren't completely dominating tournaments smaller than GPs. Basically, when the stakes were relatively low, players agreed to not play their ridiculously overpowered, broken, dominating Mystical Tutor decks and instead play worse decks that were more fun or something.
    What about Modern and Great Sable Stag? I missed (or forgot) about those, too.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    What about Modern and Great Sable Stag? I missed (or forgot) about those, too.
    Great Sable Stag was his "ultimate Solution" to Blue and counterspells in Legacy and he called people basically dumb Not to run it.

Modern topic is pretty new. You can find it on the mothership.

He wonders why Control is unplayable in modern but doubts it Could have anything to do with his B&R management that anhilated control and combo. Then he asumed that the fact that nobody plays modern in paper is only because that people are to dumb to create Decks themselves but want "guidance" from pro's aka decklists for netdecking

@Barook:
    Lived in Regensburg before moving to Berlin. Ya should know me ^^
    Last edited by Lemnear; 11-19-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Hallelujah
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Great Sable Stag was his "ultimate Solution" to Blue and counterspells in Legacy and he called people basically dumb Not to run it.
    That's hilarious.

But to be fair, the hoser that would be required to be the "ultimate solution" to blue and counterspells in Legacy would need to be dirt cheap (read: free), uncounterable, fitting into every deck (while also screwing you over if you play blue) and so incredible devestating that they couldn't print it, simply because it would ruin Standard.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Modern topic is pretty new. You can find it on the mothership.

He wonders why Control is unplayable in modern but doubts it Could have anything to do with his B&R management that anhilated control and combo. Then he asumed that the fact that nobody plays modern in paper is only because that people are to dumb to create Decks themselves but want "guidance" from pro's aka decklists for netdecking.
    Which is sad, because I have some inside knowledge about what most of the pros are going to be playing today and it's not all that fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Cabal Therapist
    Jul 2010
    Dortmund, Germany

Great merciful gods, the best message this year! Finally!

Geile Scheisse!
    This man is a truthspeaker! You deserve a beer - if you see me in Ghent, you may present yourself to me as The Speaker of Truths and I will buy you a beer of choice

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    For reference:

For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Mental Misstep your....oh wait
    Dec 2010
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Coming soon, D&D 5th Edition: top-down designed with a 1950s-era gangster feel! All dice are replaced with coins to flip! All previous classes replaced with: Dames, Irish Mobster, Mafioso, Crooked Cop, FBI, and lovable elderly shopkeeper that gets gunned down in crossfire.

Also @Kevin: wtf is that video man? Quit making me feel old by reminding me that I absolutely loathe everything that appeals to teenagers.
    I think even the teenagers loathe that damned video.
    "Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

The first match on google if you search "Tom La Pille" in germany is a website of a anti-baby pill...just sayin.
    In response...Hypothek!

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Really? When I perform a Google search for "Tom La Pille" (German websites), the first result is the wikipedia entry for "people in the star trek universe"

2nd entry is for the Tour de France.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

Not on my computer.
    Could have been a coincedence though, I dont have the best Comm./Pop-Up blocker.
    Anyway, lmao as I saw it.
    In response...Hypothek!

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Move to Community.

Feel It
    Oct 2010
    Mtgthesource.com, where else? :)

I didn't read much of TLP's articles and utterances, but from what I did read (Gentleman's Agreement, Great Sable Stag, Dredge, Double-Faced cards) it certainly seems that it is a good thing that he is no longer involved in the MtG decision-making process.

The one thing that I feel is one of the worst things ever conceived is the Double-Faced cards (only 2nd to changing the card face in 2003- Imo, the most loathed and, by far, the worst and most gut-sinking decision made in the history of the game). I recall reading that it was Toms' idea and, should that truly be the case, he should have gone more than a year ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post

Oh ya, there was that SCG article with a deck called Laxstorm. If you ask me, it reminds me more of a laxative brand and not the player (no offence to Ari Lax).

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

On the double-faced cards, I'm starting to think that they're just using new templates for each new expansion to mess with the people at Magic Set Editor. I start making a ton of high quality proxies for use at home to test legacy and play casually. In a relatively short time span, we've had the new 4-ability planeswalker for jace 2.0, the colorless template for eldrazi, the phyrexian mana symbol, and now double-faced cards. Compare this to all the older expansions which worked perfectly fine (probably better), and they didn't need new templating tricks. In fact, they even eliminated the few useful things that they had invented, namely Tribal and the gravestone icon for flashback. It's like they're trying to change as much as possible with each new expansion, and for no conceivable reason.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    It's like they're trying to change as much as possible with each new expansion, and for no conceivable reason.
    Except to print new cardboard for people to buy.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

It's the time of year to reflect on things you're thankful for and this tops my list. Also, when Xmas comes around, this will be the best present of the year as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

So you know, I'm Glad he is off of magic, but at the same time, also glad he wasn't fired. I have a feeling that he has known for a while he was going to move to DnD so he volunteered to say the 'stupid crap' that wizards needed someone to say so they could have a scapegoat
    Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

When your heart won't beat, your eyes go black
    There's a light in the tunnel and you can't turn back
    Your friends can't save you, your family's gone
    You're waiting on your judgment at the foot of the throne
    Will you beg for some mercy? Will you cop some pleas?
    Will you stand on your own or get down on your knees?
    Will your angels release you from where demons dwell?
    Will you make it into Heaven or go right back to Hell?
    Only time will tell

Thread Information