Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Dark ascension]Faithless Looting

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

[Dark ascension]Faithless Looting

The preview card from Dark Ascension included with the new Mtg comic about the adventures of Planeswalker Dack Fayden:

Faithless Looting
    Sorcery
    Draw two cards, then discard two cards
    Flashback

During the Great Designer Search 2, Mark Rosewater talked about giving these kind of effects to red, and the idea had a lot of supporters, so it was just a matter of time something like that would get printed. I wasn't expecting a card this good, though. Comments?
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Re: [Dark ascension]Faithless Looting

Will push Burning Vengeance as a real deck in standard.

Will see modern play, in a U/R storm variant and/or Twin of course.

Not sure about legacy. the only two decks that use careful study are dredge and reanimator. You would still prefer a blue card in those decks though because of the mana base. Probably replacing tireless tribe in non manaless, non led dredge. Will also probably spawn some sort of Past in Flames storm combo deck, but then again almost all those types of decks uses blue and has access to study anyways, and nobody is using study in any sort of storm combo.

I can see dumping your yard using:
    Careful Study
    Faithless Looting
    Ideas Unbound

Combo on turn three with Past in Flames, not that exciting; but hey, people will try to do it because of novelty.

Feel It
    Oct 2010
    Mtgthesource.com, where else? :)

Yeah, a solid upgrade to Careful Study that isn't really splashable in Reanimator and probably inferior to CS in Dredge. I hope that Red gets more of these type of effects. That's exactly the type of cards that the colour needs to see being printed.
    Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post

Oh ya, there was that SCG article with a deck called Laxstorm. If you ask me, it reminds me more of a laxative brand and not the player (no offence to Ari Lax).

I could definitely see Reanimator going 3 colored. The decks been wanting a second careful study ever since Mystical got banned. I mean, testing will tell, but I think this could really make the deck stronger

With Flashback, this card could form the engine of a R/G Madness deck, for example. It's nice to see looter effects in Red. I wonder if they are exclusively Red now or shared with Blue.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Ice View Post
    Yeah, a solid upgrade to Careful Study that isn't really splashable in Reanimator and probably inferior to CS in Dredge. I hope that Red gets more of these type of effects. That's exactly the type of cards that the colour needs to see being printed.
    Why would it be inferior in Dredge?
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I think it fits right into Dredge's plan and can easily replace Careful Study. The only land that it doesn't fit well into with is Cephalid Coliseum for color reasons - but as I understand it, it's usually wrong to lead with Coliseum first anyway.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

Cephalid Coliseum only taps for blue. CC probably shouldn't be removed from the deck. You really want your draw spells to be blue if at all possible (Winds of Change doesn't see play, in large part, because it isn't blue). If you aren't playing LED Dredge, it doesn't look like Faithless Looting is worth using in Dredge. I'm going to try to remove CC and go for a heavier red splash and see what happens anyways.

peace,
    4eak

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Might enable some kind of Bloodghast Dredge that plays more mana.

Also a red-based Reanimator deck with Burning Wish might want this, but that may not be the right direction for that deck.
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

I see it as a straight upgrade in dredge as well. Perhaps if you played a strictly blue/black version, it might be worse, but most decks already use a majority of multicolored land. If not, the fact that you can flash it back definitely makes it worth splashing for. It is perhaps twice as good as careful study due to the flashback.

This kind of card is very tempting for my monored imperial painter deck. It really hurts for card selection. I currently use sensei's divining top, but this could make a nice addition in small numbers. Welder also allows some tricks with the discarded cards, and it has the prophetic stompy mana cost of

Also, I've been tooling around with a fun monored storm deck in legacy with burning inquiry and moon effects. It might just get there some day.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Might enable some kind of Bloodghast Dredge that plays more mana.

Also a red-based Reanimator deck with Burning Wish might want this, but that may not be the right direction for that deck.
    That sounds kind of cool. Like a Reanimator and Teen Titans mashup. R/B would give you a solid mana base and Burning Wish sounds good.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Pithing Needle naming Vizzerdrix
    Jun 2009
    NYC

Have you guys played with this card yet?

It's bonkers - it actually CHANGES the rules of tempo.

This was clearly a mistake. They ought to think about banning it.
    Only posts when drunk.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post

Can you post more content? This almost sounds like you're trolling.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Hey! I don't need someone to tell me this card is super good to know it even before playing it. There are cards that have hidden potential, but this card is pretty blunt about it. If you aren't going to pick a playset, you're doing it wrong, and that is all I've got to say about this card.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Can you post more content? This almost sounds like you're trolling.
    Yeah i've tested it in some lists and it's hardly a gamechanger...

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Yeah i've tested it in some lists and it's hardly a gamechanger...
    THe question is, which lists? Without the 75 you guys are basing your opinions on, your opinions don't add much to the discussion. I'm not saying this card sucks. I'm saying that forum posts should have substance and simply saying "omg this card rox" isn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post

Indeed, we'll see an emergency banning shortly after Dark Ascension's release if they don't do a last minute fix.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Could it be used in a Zoo or Aggro Loam type deck? Draw two cards, pitch two lands? It doesn't seem bad with KotR, Terravore, and Countryside Crusher. Granted, it's still no Sylvan Library.

Seems pretty strong in some sort of Past in Flames deck also.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    THe question is, which lists? Without the 75 you guys are basing your opinions on, your opinions don't add much to the discussion. I'm not saying this card sucks. I'm saying that forum posts should have substance and simply saying "omg this card rox" isn't good enough.
    I've tried it in loam lists and tried it with some MUD style decks with welder. But i'm guessing the others are just trollin' because it's what the cool kids on the block do.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

It's inferior to CS in LEDless dredge, and better than CS in LED dredge. That said, smart players will play all 8 copies, imho. The consistancy of the swiss army knife is too good to pass.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Thread Information