Page 13 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] U/R Delver

Re: [Deck] U/R Delver

Quote Originally Posted by millerd33 View Post
    I really like this list... question is why +1 island vs +1 mountain or +1 fetch?
    I always seem to fetch Moutain first, but I'd rather naturally draw a blue source. I dont like running too many more fetches than fetchables so I dont want another fetch. Ive actually been playing 3-3 on basics and only two Volcanics. I always seem to play around Wasteland and I only really want the dual for a T1 Goblin Guide/Lavamancer with Daze back up.

Nov 2011
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by videogamer99 View Post
    I always seem to fetch Moutain first, but I'd rather naturally draw a blue source. I dont like running too many more fetches than fetchables so I dont want another fetch. Ive actually been playing 3-3 on basics and only two Volcanics. I always seem to play around Wasteland and I only really want the dual for a T1 Goblin Guide/Lavamancer with Daze back up.
    Quoted for 100% truth.
    I run 6 basics and 3 volcanic with only 7 feteches and 3 wastelands. I almost always grab a basic first, and you should not be keeping a 1 land hand, so it's not like you don't know which land to fetch, etc.

It is meta dependant though, so if your in a game/area without Wastelands, then by all means grab a Volcanic first.
    Cheers

And if you enjoy other Magic The Gathering sites try out www.mtgfanatic.com

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by SupREME-10 View Post
    Quoted for 100% truth.
    I run 6 basics and 3 volcanic with only 7 feteches and 3 wastelands. I almost always grab a basic first, and you should not be keeping a 1 land hand, so it's not like you don't know which land to fetch, etc.

It is meta dependant though, so if your in a game/area without Wastelands, then by all means grab a Volcanic first.
    I couldn't operate like that, I usually keep one land hands that function because of fetches. I agree with fetching basics but the 6 basics to 7 fetch ratio wouldn't work for me because of how necessary the option of getting a volcanic is if you don't have a cantrip or second land in my opener.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cox View Post
    I couldn't operate like that, I usually keep one land hands that function because of fetches. I agree with fetching basics but the 6 basics to 7 fetch ratio wouldn't work for me because of how necessary the option of getting a volcanic is if you don't have a cantrip or second land in my opener.
    I'm not sold on cutting volcanics either. I've tried about 10 games with 3 volcanics and an extra island and didn't really seem to notice any advantage it gave me.
    "It is not to be thought that the life of darkness is sunk in misery and lost as if in sorrowing. There is no sorrowing. For sorrow is a thing swallowed up in death. And death and dying are the very life of the darkness."

Jan 2012
    PA

I tend to have most problem against W/G Maverick. What is the line of play and sideboard I should be using to give a better chance to beat these types of decks?

Nov 2011
    Milan, Italy

pack some artifact destroying cards (spree, smithereens), then keep your bolts for when they cast their creatures that are a pain, i even kill the hierarchs at the beginning to avoid them having too much mana too early...

I tend to have most problem against W/G Maverick. What is the line of play and sideboard I should be using to give a better chance to beat these types of decks?
    They tend to rely on their Ooze/Knight against you. Bring some submerge and Lavamancers (remove your creatures in response when they try to Ooze) and some Price of Progress.

Jul 2011
    Canada

You simply have to take care of their lifegain: Jitte, Ooze and StP, especially when they have white mana left and a big knight. So postboard the key is Sulfuric Vortex and Spell Snare is usually a good call. Usually I don't care about one drops, cause the bolt or chain lightning is better off in their faces.

I would also fetch VI first or love to start out with Island into Delver or Cantrip, cause that way you pretend to have daze!
    Gobbos: Kings of flavortext!

Jan 2012
    PA

Is there any way to fit lotus petal in here? With all our filtering and shuffle effects is there room for these little gems to speed us up a turn?

Sample mana base:

3 Volcanic Island
    1 Island
    2 Mountian
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Lotal Petal

this deck is already really fast.
    "It is not to be thought that the life of darkness is sunk in misery and lost as if in sorrowing. There is no sorrowing. For sorrow is a thing swallowed up in death. And death and dying are the very life of the darkness."

Re: [DTB] U/R Delver

There doesn't seem to be a "best" list out there right now, but this seems likely because the deck is so metagame dependent. It can wreck super developed metas with price of progress, or it can own scrubby metas by running more burn/counters (depending on need). Very flexible. Has anyone tried a more targeted burn approach? While keeping the MD FoW?

I was thinking something like this:

18 Land
    1 Island
    2 Mountain
    4 Volcanic Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Bloodstained Mire (necessary?)
    4 Mishra's Factory/Wasteland

13 Creatures
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Goblin Guide
    3 Grim Lavamancer
    2 Snapcaster Mage

14 Burn
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    3 Incinerate
    3 Fire/Ice

7 Counters
    4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Snare

8 Dig
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

15 Sideboard
    3 Submerge
    3 Smash to Smithereens
    3 Spell Pierce
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Red Elemental Blast

I haven't played this in a tournament yet, I'm just looking for ideas and suggestions.

I like the factories as additional beats, but I also recognize that wasteland is probably more useful. This could just be my Landstill past rearing its ugly head, wanting more threats.

I also like to take a more Sligh approach: burning blockers to let my guys go through. So no PoP or Fireblast. I really like fire/ice since it can hit two creatures, or tap something and draw me a card. It also pitches to FoW. I just don't see a downside.

Am I approaching this completely wrong?
    "There are some who call me...Tim"

How can you run wasteland + fire/ice and not daze??
    You can keep the opponent low on lands with waste, and tap a land in his upkeep with the ice part of fire/ice.. His plays will be constantly threatened by our daze..
    In addition, running 4 wasteland in a 18 land-deck seems a little risky, even if we run 8 digs (Canadian can do it because it plays stifle).
    Personally, I'll cut 3 incinerate and:
    1) add 2 daze and a land/fetch to your list;
    2) run 3 wasteland in a 18-land shell, and add 2 daze + 1 fire/ice;
    3) run 3 wasteland in a 18-land shell and add 3 daze.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

So, no lie, Vapor Snag is actually really good in this deck. You don't know what ballin is until you've Vapor Snagged a Reanimated Jin-Gitaxias.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Jan 2012
    PA

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    So, no lie, Vapor Snag is actually really good in this deck. You don't know what ballin is until you've Vapor Snagged a Reanimated Jin-Gitaxias.
    I played 2 Vapor Snag in a tourny last weekend and it was ok. I found the games I used it to bounce guys to get through with damage were the games I was already winning. I am testing the reanimator matchup tonight so I will see how game 1 goes and with the echoing truth's in the SB for 2 and 3.

I played 2 Vapor Snag in a tourny last weekend and it was ok. I found the games I used it to bounce guys to get through with damage were the games I was already winning. I am testing the reanimator matchup tonight so I will see how game 1 goes and with the echoing truth's in the SB for 2 and 3.
    Why would you consider Echoing truth over Vapor Snag and vice versa? I think Vapor Snag really helps slow opponents down and helps add in that extra bit of damage (which I know is minimal) but the 1 point matters more in tempo then it does in other decks. Just my opinion.

Jan 2012
    PA

Quote Originally Posted by aznepyon7 View Post
    Why would you consider Echoing truth over Vapor Snag and vice versa? I think Vapor Snag really helps slow opponents down and helps add in that extra bit of damage (which I know is minimal) but the 1 point matters more in tempo then it does in other decks. Just my opinion.
    I like hitting all copies of a card. I will pay the 1 extra colorless to hit every goblin token, more then 1 cage, Leyline, knight. For 1 extra mana it can be a game changer. Also it hit's non-land permanent not just creatures.

Jul 2011
    Canada

I like hitting all copies of a card. I will pay the 1 extra colorless to hit every goblin token, more then 1 cage, Leyline, knight. For 1 extra mana it can be a game changer. Also it hit's non-land permanent not just creatures.
    What would you cut vor vapor snap? Burn? Counter? Creatures? i think the deck is very tight right now independent which philosophy you put in there...

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBopper View Post
    What would you cut vor vapor snap? Burn? Counter? Creatures? i think the deck is very tight right now independent which philosophy you put in there...
    I believe the discussion of which bounce spell to use is purely related to sideboard options.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Jan 2012
    PA

Quote Originally Posted by BigBopper View Post
    I was not running force in the main deck (something after that tourny I fixed first)

The deck I ran with a report is post #184 of this thread (page 10)

If I were to try to free up 2 spots in most decks now the part that would prob hurt the least would be going down to 2 price of progress and cut to 3 spellsnare/daze.

On page 12 videogamer99 posted a list I like a whole lot. That is the list I plan on testing tonight. It packs all the goodies people seem to go back and forth on. The only change I would prob make would be to the sideboard because echoing truth has been just so good to me in my meta. I would prob take out the pyroblasts.

EDIT: @edward I tried 2 snags in the main deck in an attempt to force through extra points and i would say it was not good or bad. Easy card to side out. But the games I actually cast it were games I was winning hands down without them.

Jul 2011
    Canada

I was not running force in the main deck (something after that tourny I fixed first)

The deck I ran with a report is post #184 of this thread (page 10)

If I were to try to free up 2 spots in most decks now the part that would prob hurt the least would be going down to 2 price of progress and cut to 3 spellsnare/daze.

On page 12 videogamer99 posted a list I like a whole lot. That is the list I plan on testing tonight. It packs all the goodies people seem to go back and forth on. The only change I would prob make would be to the sideboard because echoing truth has been just so good to me in my meta. I would prob take out the pyroblasts.

EDIT: @edward I tried 2 snags in the main deck in an attempt to force through extra points and i would say it was not good or bad. Easy card to side out. But the games I actually cast it were games I was winning hands down without them.
    I believe I could find 2 spots MD for something like Vapor Snag, especially since I still run a single Fire/Ice, which I'm not convinced of, but it nicely imprints in Force, which I play the whole playset. I also play 4 Grim lavamancer, which could be reduced to 3, but I also think Lavamancer is a better topdeck in lategame than vapor Snag, especially when you're out of cards and drawing for the win.
    Another question is, which beater would you clear the way for? Goblin guide? Snapcaster? Usually delver has a free way or you blow up opposing flyers. And hindering a knight or goyf to attack is not the right play I think.
    I'm also currently playing 2 PoP and sometimes I miss playing a 3rd one. I'm not sure if it would be nice to have one more, though...

Thread Information