4 Volcanic Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Bloodstained Mire

You could tweak the manabase a bit, and it's actually strangely challenging designing a two color manabase without Wasteland. I like the 2x basic Island for a few reasons. It's a great turn 1 Leadoff with Delver, It helps us against Wasteland, we're playing 4x PoP+Snapcaster!, and you'll usually see a cantrip to shuffle the Island away when you naturally draw one if it's bad. 19 solid lands and 7 cantrips. This deck is the most consistant... ever? I dunno, but it's super annoying to play against. I thought my Ooze combo build would wreck it, but we've split the games. Price of Progress is an absolutely absurd card, which Snapcaster only makes better. I could Duress it away from him, but he often found another one and went (Eot Price for 6-8, Untap Snapcaster->Price for 6-8, GG). I was wrong about Force to an extent, because here we actually have a 2 card combo from turn 4 on in Legacy now. Delver puts them into range so nicely too! ;D cheers...

Re: U/R Aggro-Control

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    My snap at a Fow+Daze build. It actually looks pretty solid :P

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Price of Progress
    3 Force of Will
    3 Daze
    4 Spell Pierce
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder

4 Volcanic Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Bloodstained Mire

You could tweak the manabase a bit, and it's actually strangely challenging designing a two color manabase without Wasteland. I like the 2x basic Island for a few reasons. It's a great turn 1 Leadoff with Delver, It helps us against Wasteland, we're playing 4x PoP+Snapcaster!, and you'll usually see a cantrip to shuffle the Island away when you naturally draw one if it's bad. 19 solid lands and 7 cantrips. This deck is the most consistant... ever? I dunno, but it's super annoying to play against. I thought my Ooze combo build would wreck it, but we've split the games. Price of Progress is an absolutely absurd card, which Snapcaster only makes better. I could Duress it away from him, but he often found another one and went (Eot Price for 6-8, Untap Snapcaster->Price for 6-8, GG). I was wrong about Force to an extent, because here we actually have a 2 card combo from turn 4 on in Legacy now. Delver puts them into range so nicely too! ;D cheers...
    Counter-Burn Style of Deck submitted to the OP. Credit Given. Thanks Troopatropp. Can you give a basic Run down of how the deck was played against Your Ooze Combo so I can add its Match-Up to the OP? Thank You.
    Last edited by Beatusnox; 11-29-2011 at 01:31 AM.
    Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

When your heart won't beat, your eyes go black
    There's a light in the tunnel and you can't turn back
    Your friends can't save you, your family's gone
    You're waiting on your judgment at the foot of the throne
    Will you beg for some mercy? Will you cop some pleas?
    Will you stand on your own or get down on your knees?
    Will your angels release you from where demons dwell?
    Will you make it into Heaven or go right back to Hell?
    Only time will tell

Troopa, in my counterburn list I only ran 3x grim lavamancers, I was wondering, do you find yourself running into them too much? Also, why the lack of Magma Jet? I suppose your list doesn't really have any room for it, after playtesting with Force of Will do you find it to be a must-have, perhaps dropping a lavamancer for a fourth?

I don't know why I overlooked price of progress in my counterburn list, it would have sped up the games tremendously..

I personally believe in Running 4 Lavamancers. I like 1 drops and I would rather my opponent counter a Lavamancer than a Price of progress, so almost using it as "look at me I'm dangerous!!!"

Kich, how would you configure the mana base for the deck you have on page one, I would like to use it as the Burn Example list.
    Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

Only time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Beatusnox View Post
    I personally believe in Running 4 Lavamancers. I like 1 drops and I would rather my opponent counter a Lavamancer than a Price of progress, so almost using it as "look at me I'm dangerous!!!"

Kich, how would you configure the mana base for the deck you have on page one, I would like to use it as the Burn Example list.
    I can get on board with that. Generally, I lean towards having 20 land in a land-light deck, I've run 18 and I found the difference noticeable. Given that we aren't running wasteland (which I feel is correct),

Lands: 20
    4x Volcanic Island
    4x Scalding Tarn
    2x Misty Rainforest
    2x Arid Mesa
    5x Mountain
    3x Island

-- Burn variants running Fireblast need to be able to consistently sac mountains, so the 5/3 split leans in favor of mountains over islands. You could justifiably lean the non R/U fetches towards mountains as well but that may be overkill.

This allows you to pretty easily avoid playing non basics in the event of wasteland issues / back to basics.

If I was running 19 lands I'd drop a blue fetch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    I can get on board with that. Generally, I lean towards having 20 land in a land-light deck, I've run 18 and I found the difference noticeable. Given that we aren't running wasteland (which I feel is correct),

Lands: 20
    4x Volcanic Island
    4x Scalding Tarn
    2x Misty Rainforest
    2x Arid Mesa
    5x Mountain
    3x Island

-- Burn variants running Fireblast need to be able to consistently sac mountains, so the 5/3 split leans in favor of mountains over islands. You could justifiably lean the non R/U fetches towards mountains as well but that may be overkill.

This allows you to pretty easily avoid playing non basics in the event of wasteland issues / back to basics.

If I was running 19 lands I'd drop a blue fetch.
    I agree with heavier mountains here. You almost never have double Blue to hit, but often times double red. Will edit the list on to the main page. Also does anyone know if it would be possible to change the thread title to U/R Snapcaster instead of U/R Aggro Control? Some forum softwares allow regular users to do so and some not, this one seems to be not.
    Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

Only time will tell

Nov 2011
    Finland

Hello everyone. Nice to see lists and discussion about this kind of deck. I think these cards have a lot of potential in legacy right now. Here is a burn oriented list that I will be working with as soon as I get my Volcanics from the mail.

Lands: (20)

3 Scalding Tarn
    3 Arid Mesa
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Volcanic Island
    5 Mountain

Creatures: (13)

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Delver of Secrects
    3 Grim Lavamancer
    2 Snapcaster Mage

Spells: (27)

4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    3 Rift Bolt
    2 Lava Spike
    2 Fire // Ice
    4 Fireblast
    4 Price of Progress

Sideboard: (15)

3 Pyroblast
    2 Smash to Smitheneers
    1 Shattering Spree
    2 Volcanic Fallout
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Echoing Truth
    3 Pyrostatic Pillar

I dont think I need a basic Island because this list has only ten spells that require blue mana and only one blue mana each. What do you guys think?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I am reading this at work, so pardon my short reply - Voidmage Prodigy can sac every dude in the deck (besides a transformed Delver) and would give the deck a way to diversify its threats/counters. Ie, Mancer isn't amazing in every matchup but a hard counter is usually great. Same with a somehow 'unflipped' Delver.

Also I miss Fish/r and it was one of my favorite decks and it played that dude, and I would win when I played that dude, and that was back when there were only like 2 playable Wizards and now there's a lot more. Seems good anyway.

Mar 2007
    RI

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I am reading this at work, so pardon my short reply - Voidmage Prodigy can sac every dude in the deck (besides a transformed Delver) and would give the deck a way to diversify its threats/counters. Ie, Mancer isn't amazing in every matchup but a hard counter is usually great. Same with a somehow 'unflipped' Delver.

Also I miss Fish/r and it was one of my favorite decks and it played that dude, and I would win when I played that dude, and that was back when there were only like 2 playable Wizards and now there's a lot more. Seems good anyway.
    Voidmage Prodigy seems worse than Patron Wizard and idk that either of them are viable.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post

Voidmage Prodigy I had not even heard of this card. Definitely a 'Goodstuffs' for the control and, possibly even counter-burn. At worst he can sacrifice himself and its a counterspell on a body. Maybe a metagame card like many of the others.

Progdigy only requires patron u in a two color deck, only needing double and not triple of a single color can be a huge difference. Will try to make a list to test it more thoroughly.
    Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

Only time will tell

I just played the list vs landstill on cockatrice absolute pwning. Nice list overall, I feel however like I always wanted to fetch basics rarely did I want to fetch a volcanic. What are you looking at for the s/b? I think mine is something like...

4x Mindbreak Trap
    1x Spell Pierce
    2x Crypt
    1x Relic
    3x Red Elemental Blast
    2x Hurkyls Recal
    2x Echoing Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    baghdadbob, you're Team Scrubbad's spirit animal.

Quote Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
    I just played the list vs landstill on cockatrice absolute pwning. Nice list overall, I feel however like I always wanted to fetch basics rarely did I want to fetch a volcanic. What are you looking at for the s/b? I think mine is something like...

4x Mindbreak Trap
    1x Spell Pierce
    2x Crypt
    1x Relic
    3x Red Elemental Blast
    2x Hurkyls Recal
    2x Echoing Truth
    Which List are you testing? It seems like a pretty good catch-all sideboard. from the 4x Mindbreak trap I would guess you are not playing the control or counter-burn variants.
    Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

Only time will tell

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by Beatusnox View Post
    I agree with heavier mountains here. You almost never have double Blue to hit, but often times double red. Will edit the list on to the main page. Also does anyone know if it would be possible to change the thread title to U/R Snapcaster instead of U/R Aggro Control? Some forum softwares allow regular users to do so and some not, this one seems to be not.
    It's mostly about the natural draw. I haven't found a reason to fetch more than 1 basic Mountain yet, and have rarely wished that my basic Island were a Mountain. Considering Wasteland as well, getting stuck with an untapped Mountain is rarely useful, whereas the Island keeps Spell Pierce and Brainstorm up. Lightning Bolt, being an answer for permanants, could at least be casted later. If you're mana screwed, and all you have is the basic Mountain, and you're staring at Ponders and Brainstorms in your hand, you're not going to be very happy.

That being said, his list has VERY little need for a basic Island, as he's just all out Burn + B-storm/Delver/Snappy, so I agree as well. It's important to not take manabase construction in absolutes, imo. This deck has so much flex, and the lands are always a reflection of what you need to cast. Well, that's all for now. Fuck homework! :P

Oh, and Grim Lavamancer is more important to this deck than any other, like Zoo or something. It's either 3 or 4, because they're lackluster in multiples, but I think he's a huge part of the deck's gameplan. I like to bait the removal on him, and follow it up with a Delver that eats 6-12 points of life. It's just really important that you've got another critter to keep pressure after removal. Force is another story, and I wouldn't want to play more than 3. Maybe you board one, idk, but the card is hit or miss. Sometimes you have to cast it bad, like removing a Snapcaster Mage that you need later. If you don't see multiples at the same time, you go minus 2! in cards, and then you're really counting on PoP to win it for you. If you expect a 40% combo metagame? by all means, but I already MD 4 Pierce. 3 Daze/3 Fow has been just enough free counter for me.

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    It's mostly about the natural draw. I haven't found a reason to fetch more than 1 basic Mountain yet, and have rarely wished that my basic Island were a Mountain. Considering Wasteland as well, getting stuck with an untapped Mountain is rarely useful, whereas the Island keeps Spell Pierce and Brainstorm up. Lightning Bolt, being an answer for permanants, could at least be casted later. If you're mana screwed, and all you have is the basic Mountain, and you're staring at Ponders and Brainstorms in your hand, you're not going to be very happy.

That being said, his list has VERY little need for a basic Island, as he's just all out Burn + B-storm/Delver/Snappy, so I agree as well. It's important to not take manabase construction in absolutes, imo. This deck has so much flex, and the lands are always a reflection of what you need to cast. Well, that's all for now. Fuck homework! :P

Oh, and Grim Lavamancer is more important to this deck than any other, like Zoo or something. It's either 3 or 4, because they're lackluster in multiples, but I think he's a huge part of the deck's gameplan. I like to bait the removal on him, and follow it up with a Delver that eats 6-12 points of life. It's just really important that you've got another critter to keep pressure after removal. Force is another story, and I wouldn't want to play more than 3. Maybe you board one, idk, but the card is hit or miss. Sometimes you have to cast it bad, like removing a Snapcaster Mage that you need later. If you don't see multiples at the same time, you go minus 2! in cards, and then you're really counting on PoP to win it for you. If you expect a 40% combo metagame? by all means, but I already MD 4 Pierce. 3 Daze/3 Fow has been just enough free counter for me.
    I also find that Lavamancer is also huge against many of the U/W/x stoneforge decks out there. Burning equip targets in response to moving to equip can give us the edge to fight through any possible disadvantage that can be caused by a batterskull on the table. Can also be combined with a lightning Bolt to kill the token outright if needed. Tomorrow I should be able to spend all day testing match-ups for the Control and Aggro-Control variations I will post results and some lines of play against what I played.
    Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

Only time will tell

My current build. Control is completely in the side. The 2 slots i am not sure about are the Lava Spikes. I am thinking about Hellspark Elemental or that Barbar in this slot. Any other ideas?

// Lands
    4 [R] Volcanic Island
    3 [A] Island (2)
    3 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
    3 [ON] Polluted Delta
    4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
    2 [U] Mountain (3)

// Creatures
    4 [INN] Snapcaster Mage
    3 [TO] Grim Lavamancer
    4 [ISD] Delver of Secrets
    4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide

// Spells
    4 [DD2] Magma Jet
    4 [LG] Chain Lightning
    4 [EX] Price of Progress
    4 [U] Lightning Bolt
    4 [5E] Brainstorm
    4 [AP] Fire/Ice
    2 [CHK] Lava Spike

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 [NPH] Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 [COM] Flusterstorm
    SB: 4 [AL] Force of Will
    SB: 3 [SHM] Smash to Smithereens
    SB: 1 [5E] Pyroblast
    SB: 1 [U] Red Elemental Blast

Nov 2011
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by unicoerner View Post
    My current build. Control is completely in the side. The 2 slots i am not sure about are the Lava Spikes. I am thinking about Hellspark Elemental or that Barbar in this slot. Any other ideas?

// Lands
    4 [R] Volcanic Island
    3 [A] Island (2)
    3 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
    3 [ON] Polluted Delta
    4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
    2 [U] Mountain (3)

// Creatures
    4 [INN] Snapcaster Mage
    3 [TO] Grim Lavamancer
    4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide

// Spells
    4 [DD2] Magma Jet
    4 [LG] Chain Lightning
    4 [EX] Price of Progress
    4 [U] Lightning Bolt
    4 [5E] Brainstorm
    4 [AP] Fire/Ice
    2 [CHK] Lava Spike

// Sideboard
    I dont think you should cut the spikes. Delver needs instants/sorceries for flipping and if you cut the spikes you only have 24 left MD. Otherwise I think your list is fine. Maybe the Fows in the side could also be Spell Pierces.

Quote Originally Posted by unicoerner View Post

// Lands
    4 [R] Volcanic Island
    3 [A] Island (2)
    3 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
    3 [ON] Polluted Delta
    4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
    2 [U] Mountain (3)

// Creatures
    4 [INN] Snapcaster Mage
    3 [TO] Grim Lavamancer
    4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide

// Spells
    4 [DD2] Magma Jet
    4 [LG] Chain Lightning
    4 [EX] Price of Progress
    4 [U] Lightning Bolt
    4 [5E] Brainstorm
    4 [AP] Fire/Ice
    2 [CHK] Lava Spike

// Sideboard
    Drop something for Fireblast, at least a 3 of. Tap 2 mountains, float 2 mana, double lightning bolt + fireblast = 10 damage.

Jan 2010
    Davis, CA

4 Bolts
    4 Chain Lightning

This is optimus prime. You can race anything with Snapcaster and 8 bolts.

I've also tried out a more Thresh version of this deck.

4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Vendilion Clique

4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Spell Snare
    4 Daze
    3 Fire//Ice
    4 Force of Will
    1 Preordain

2 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Firespout
    2 Hibernation

As you can see, it runs 19 lands and plays like traditional thresh minus the green. I feel that cutting the green would be stabilise the manabase and allows for Snapcaster to be used.

A problem that I have run into in testing is Green Aggro, in particular GW variants. It is just difficult to deal with green fatties. Another problem is removal.dec against my creatures

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by yutang View Post
    I've also tried out a more Thresh version of this deck.

4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Vendilion Clique

4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Spell Snare
    4 Daze
    3 Fire//Ice
    4 Force of Will
    1 Preordain

2 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Firespout
    2 Hibernation

As you can see, it runs 19 lands and plays like traditional thresh minus the green. I feel that cutting the green would be stabilise the manabase and allows for Snapcaster to be used.

A problem that I have run into in testing is Green Aggro, in particular GW variants. It is just difficult to deal with green fatties. Another problem is removal.dec against my creatures

Any ideas?
    If you cannot counter the fatty you are going to have to double up Lavamancer AND bolt. Also, If you are trying a more tempo/thresh build, I would recommend trying stifles. Will Post more of my testing results tomorrow night, Have to wake up early for work. Good night Sourcers.
    Belcher
    Delver
    Dredge

Only time will tell

Thread Information