Thread: 5-0 with turbofog

Threaded View

Jul 2011
    Virginia Beach, Virginia

5-0 with turbofog

While the tourney may not be grand, I just want to share my experience anyway. Maybe some may find it a fun read at least.

Registration started at 1100 and, the game didn't really start until 1200. It's a 5 round of swiss apparently, I was there early for the registration and I just watched the tournament organizer play EDH with some people. The other side I didn't bother checking out as it's just some kids playing yu-gi-oh.
    I brought my standard cards with me and was trading for some legacy stuff (got my 4th Firestorm for my dredge woot!).

1st match versus GW Maverick
    This guy seems pretty nice as we talked a bit before the tournament, we were both surprised when we have to play against each other. But we shook hands and wished each other luck. Nice guy.

I won the die roll and chose to go first. I kept a hand with 1 draw engine several lands and some fog effects. Opponent spent some time thinking about his hand, before finally deciding to muligan down to 6.

Round 1:
    I played a Terramorphic Expanse, fetching myself a plain and passed the turn. Opponent played some fetchland, grabbing a dual land, cast Green Sun's Zenith for 0, grabbing a Dryad Arbor, and passed the turn. I dropped another land, played howling mine, and passed the turn. Opponent dropped another land. casted a Quasali Pridemage, and just stared at my howling mine for a bit, I think he may be wondering wether to let my howling mine stay or blow it up. He let it stayed stayed for several turns... several turns later, i'm at low life as I am using my hp as a resource
    while I build up more fog effects, until things becomes lethal. When things becomes lethal as he now has a good amount of creatures, I started fogging away each of his attacks. He finally figured out what kind of deck he's up against. He was unable to break through, and conceded to game 2.

Round 2:
    I Boarded in Gaea's Blessing, as I have a feeling that he'll go after my artifacts this time. He's more aggressive with trying to find his Pridemages this round, getting rid of my draw engine. I was actually unable to find any draw engine for many turns later as he nuked them all with Fauna Shaman grabbing the pridmages, and Scavenging ooze for my Moment's Peace. But fogs were buying me the time I need, though the single Leyline of Sanctity I have on the board is not really doing anything. He conceded when he saw me play Constant Mist, read it and just decided to concede. I think he was considering continuing and see how it goes, while he just sat there thinking, but just conceded. He congratulated me and wished me luck, and told him the same.

2-0
    Current standing 1-0

2nd match versus TES

This guy seems like a douchebag, didn't really say hi or anything, and flipped a custom playmat,so that the picture, which is a hand flicking someone off, would be facing me. He won the die roll and kept his hand, and so did I.

Round 1:
    I played a turn 0 Leyline of Sanctity, and he looked at it, reading it looked at his hand and picked up the leyline to read it again. He let out some sigh that seems like he's disappointed or irritated. He spent the next several turns brainstorming and pondering around. Then he initiated a conversation saying "You know, those howling mines and that enchantment is are helping me right?" with a condecending look. He played Burning Wish and go for empty the warrens. But I just fogged away each and every attacks.He rebuilt his hand back up and search for ways to get rid of my leyline as attacking is not working out for him.So he grabbed chain of Vapor from his wishboard to bounce back my enchantment. He played duress, but I responded with orim's chant. Then the next several turns is me chaining peace talks and orim's chant. He conceded before he decked out.

Round 2:
    For this round, I boarded in my Silence. I was thinking about peace of mind, but I don't think it'll be needed. I kept an opening hand of howling mine, several lands, 2 orims chants and peace talks. I didn't drop howling mine until turn 3, as I wanted to respond to his spells should he attempt to go off. Which he did try to on turn 2, but was foiled by orim's chant. The next several turns when howling mine landed was a series of chains, just toggling between:Silence, Peace Talks, more draw engines, and Chants. Opponent slammed his cards on the table, and "stormed" out (no pun intended), not even picking up his cards. I explained what happened to the tournament organizer and he apologized on the guy's behalf.

By the way, is his playmat even allowed?
    2-0
    Current standing 2-0

3rd match versus Reanimator
    Guy likes the playmat I was using, and asked some questions about it while we were shuffling. Gave him the website where I ordered mine form and informed him that I just sent a picture to that website to print as my playmat. Asked me some questions too how I did against the other previous rounds, if I was 1-1-1, 2-0 etc on those previous matches. I don't know if he's trying to pry information if i'm a fast deck or a slow deck or whatever but I went along with it anyways and told him.

Round 1:
    I won the die roll, and started with a plain. He started his turn 1 with Urborg, tomb of Yawgmoth to Entomb to Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur... oh man... this looks ugly, so I thought to myself. Turn 2 I dropped howling mine. His turn 2, no other land drop but he reanimated Jin-Gitaxias. Turn 3 I wasn't able to hit any lands so I wasn't able to drop my Rites of Flourishing. So all I did was cast peace talks, and end up discarding all of my hand. He tried attacking the next turn but I reminded him about Peace Talks. He dropped a fetchalnd, grabbing an island and playing careful study and reanimating Sphinx of the Steel Wind, dropping his life down to 1. Not like it matters anyways, I don't really attack. He attacks but was not able to get through because I flashbacked Moment's Peace. I was in a very bad situation unable to keep any cards in hand. I can pretty much guess that he has a daze in his hand but was unable to use it because I had mana opened. So My guess was he was waiting for multiples. He's not able to get thropugh because of moment's peace that I'm being forced to discard, and the peace talks I am running across. He end up decking out and showed me a hand with a bunch of force of wills that he couldn't use, since he's at 1.

Round 2:
    I boarded in Silences and Sunstone. He went first opening with entomb into Iona. I had a turn 0 leyline of sanctity, and dropped a plain. Casting Chant on his upkeep. He dropped a fetchland and grabbed a dual and passed the turn.
    I dropped another plain, and casted chant on his upkeep. He countered with force of will, removing his other force of will. The reanimating Iona, he choose green as the color that I wont be able to play. That shuts down my future Moment's Peace and Constant Mist. So I just played howling mine and font of mythos which resolved.
    I end up dropping to 6 after 2 Iona attacks, I casted Silence followed by Sunstone (last card I drew... whew!). The Sunstone kept me alive. He spent his turns trying to find angel of despair, but by that time he I have a good amount of Angel's Grace and some white fog effects. So I was able to build up on fog effects which he has been countering instead of my draw engines. He started smiling and started talking about the Jin that's in his grave and that he's just looking for reanimate spells for it, since I am locked out on green.
    With howling mine and 2 font of mythos on the field (and me sitting on 1 life) we were drawing a lot of cards. He manged to find animate dead for it, but he had failed to factor in the careful studies, fetchland, and entombs that he used, along with the amount of cards he's been drawing, and the draw 7 by jin.I drew my extra cards but didn't run into any peace talks, I passed the turn and he was exactly 1 card short in order to survive the decking out. He counted again just to double check and he just started laughing saying that he had me.
    I laughed too in agreement.
    Fun game, fun game ha ha.

2-0
    Current standing 3-0

4th match versus Mono Blue Control w/ Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    OMG this guy is fat... like really... 0_0
    He seems so out of breath just sitting down, breathing so heavily.
    He's a nice guy though, it seems, but I can smell his sweat from across the table x_x"

Round 1:
    He won the die roll, and chose to go 1st.The first several turns was just use doing stuff. Him suspending Ancestral Vision, and me just dropping basics and casting howling mine, which he countered, and rites of flourishing, which he countered.Followed by Jace the mind sculptor later on...
    I decided to forfeit than rather than dragging the match, as control decks vs control decks from my experience, could easily go to time later. He shook my hand when I told him I'll concede, and that we'll go to game 2.
    ...OMG his hand is sweaty! x_x"
    ... and he smells...

Round 2:
    I boarded in silences, Gaea's Blessing, and Luminarch Ascension. He kept his hand but I mulligan to 6, I dropped a terramorphic expanse which i used to fetch for a plain. He did his usual, casting ancestral vision, building up his hand. Again he spent his counters getting rid of my draw engines.
    a 3rd turn drop of Luminarch Ascension, protected by Chant, gave me the edge. He bounced my tokens with Echoing Truth but I made more. I just couldn't attack all out due to him having Propaganda on the field.
    But eventually I managed to get him down to 0.

Round 3:
    Boarded in Krosan grip.
    He went first this time suspending ancestral visions... seems like his ancestral vision really likes him. 3rd time in a row on turn 1. All I can say about this match is it was a wall of counters versus a wall of silence/chant effects. He's trying to watch out for my Luminarch, but dazes and forces stopped my silence and chants. I gambled on an unprotected luminarch ascension that wenth through, he must have been out of counters. But replenished his hand after one of the other Ancestral Visions finally finished. He dropped Nevinyrral's Disk, and blew my Luminarch.
    I dropped a Rites of Flourishing which got past his counters? (still empty?) He then played Fact or Fiction at the end of my turn i gave him a a bunch of lands + daze and 1 force of will on the other pile. He grabbed the single force of will. Drew into another rites and a font. He countered the font of mythos but the rite resolved. After a course of of several turns, him casting another disc but my using Krosan grip on it. We built back up to more than a handful of cards in hand, and it was his counter magic versus my silence/chant effects.
    He used a counterspell and a force of will, but I had more effects than he does and luminarch resolved. Several turns later Jace, came out but with the amount of lands I built up thanks to rites of flourishing, I amassed an army at end of his turn and killed the planeswalker and him in several turns.

2-1
    Current standing 4-0

Final match versus Zoo
    This guy pretty much knows what he's going up against because he was sitting next to me on one of my previous matches. But the good thing is that I know what he's using as well too. He asked me if I want to go go for a draw and split the prize. I came here to play and have fun, taking a draw was not on my plans, plus I wanted to see how far I can go with the deck, I thanked him for the offer but told him I would have to decline.

Round 1:
    He won die the roll, and started beating me down with 3/3s. However, thanks to my turn 0 Leyline, he's unable to burn me out. He manged to nuke it with a quasali but insufficent mana to land a finish with a direct damage. I dropped another Leyline of Sanctity (and another, several turns later) and managed to get my engine going and he decked out eventually.

Game 2:
    I boarded in Peace of Minds.
    He started 1st again and started attacking me, I did not have Leyline but I have a pretty good hand of: 2 plains, 2 peace talks, a chant and draw engines. He manged to get me to a farely low life, but peace of mind, put me at pretty comfortable life points. He used up quasalis to blow up my Leyline and peace talks. I manged to draw into more peace talks, and thanks to my draw engines, I was able to replenish my hp slowly. Though he's doing a good job bringing it back down with direct damage and grim lavamancer.
    He eventually ran out of juice and unable to break through my fog effects and he life gaining I'm doing.

It's pretty obvious that he won't be able to break through, but he's trying anyway. He started asking me things like. How many cards are in my sideboard, as a last ditch effort to win. But my sideboard is all accounted for, and he just stood up and said good game.

I decided to call my friends and told them what happened, and how I won 5-0, and that I won a foil Jace, the Mind Sculptor. But I was asking them for advise what to do with the card as I don't really plan on using the card. I have several offers for a trade,
    however I don't play with those cards either. Could either sell it for cash, keep it just for the sake of having it, or trade it for either...2 tarmogoyf, which I don't use (or don't see myself playing with), or 3 wastelands.

Anyway, I had plenty of fun and had a good time. Thanks to the tournament organizer for setting up the event, and thanks for the person that gave me a ride so I could make it to the tournament.

Here's my deck I was playing with:

10 Snow-covered Plains
    9 Snow-covered Forest
    1 Riftstone Portal
    4 Terramorphic Expanse

4 Leyline of Sanctity

4 Font of Mythos
    4 Rites of Flourishing
    4 Howling Mine

4 Orim's Chant
    4 Peace Talks
    4 Angel's Grace
    4 Moment's Peace
    4 Constant Mist

//Sideboard
    3 Peace of Mind
    4 Silence
    3 Krosan Grip
    1 Gaea's Blessing
    3 Luminarch Ascension
    1 Sunstone

If I made some errors with typing or description, feel free to let me know.
    I wrote things out as fast as I can right after the match to try to remember what happened. But since it's usually in a rush, I may have made some mistakes with the things here and there.

But yey!
    My first expensive foil. ^_^
    Last edited by Claymore-One; 11-26-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Spellchecking
    LEDless Dredge
    Braids Stax
    Armageddon Stax
    Welder Stax

Thread Information