Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vision Charm and land types

Re: Vision Charm and land types

I am just trying to wrap my head around the rules when using vision charm against dual lands. Will the dual land still keep the ability to produce the unnamed land type?

As in, my opponent has Tropical Islands, I name forest to be changed to swamps. Would they still have the ability to tap their Tropical Island for Blue mana?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by notap123 View Post
    I am just trying to wrap my head around the rules when using vision charm against dual lands. Will the dual land still keep the ability to produce the unnamed land type?

As in, my opponent has Tropical Islands, I name forest to be changed to swamps. Would they still have the ability to tap their Tropical Island for Blue mana?

Thanks in advance!
    Vision Charm does not replace one basic type with another, as a few other effects do, but rather changes things of one type to another type. When you change a land into a basic land type, it loses all other abilities and gains the mana producing ability of that type. Tropical Island can only tap for black mana.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Vision Charm does not replace one basic type with another, as a few other effects do, but rather changes things of one type to another type. When you change a land into a basic land type, it loses all other abilities and gains the mana producing ability of that type. Tropical Island can only tap for black mana.
    So if I choose basic lands and then call forest that means all basics (including mine) turn to forests?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

So if I choose basic lands and then call forest that means all basics (including mine) turn to forests?
    Basic is a supertype. (as in Basic Land - Island). It is not a valid selection for Vision Charm. You can select one of the basic land types (Island, Swamp, Mountain, Forest, Plains) for the second part of the Vision Charm land-shifting ability. You choices for the first part are:

Island
    Swamp
    Mountain
    Forest
    Plains
    Urza's
    Power-plant
    Tower
    Mine
    Locus
    Lair
    Desert
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Basic is a supertype. (as in Basic Land - Island). It is not a valid selection for Vision Charm. You can select one of the basic land types (Island, Swamp, Mountain, Forest, Plains) for the second part of the Vision Charm land-shifting ability. You choices for the first part are:

Island
    Swamp
    Mountain
    Forest
    Plains
    Urza's
    Power-plant
    Tower
    Mine
    Locus
    Lair
    Desert
    That's how I thought it worked, did cdr's explanation of vision charm's interaction with dual lands work? Either way thanks for the help!

That's how I thought it worked, did cdr's explanation of vision charm's interaction with dual lands work? Either way thanks for the help!
    Let's try a fuller explanation. If you name "Forest" and "Swamp" with Vision Charm, it changes all lands with the subtype Forest to "Land -- Swamp". Tropical Island is a Forest, so it becomes a Swamp, with no other text besides "T: add B".
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Let's try a fuller explanation. If you name "Forest" and "Swamp" with Vision Charm, it changes all lands with the subtype Forest to "Land -- Swamp". Tropical Island is a Forest, so it becomes a Swamp, with no other text besides "T: add B".
    I appreciate the follow up guys. I just want to make sure I have my ducks in a row if I try Vision Charm out in a tournament.

May 2013
    Paris, France

So just to be sure I understood well the previous point on the tropical island becoming a swamp. Will this counter sort of wasteland ability as well ?
    Wasteland target -> tropical, you respond by vision charm for forest into swamp -> wasteland ability fizzle because there is no longer a legal target ?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    So just to be sure I understood well the previous point on the tropical island becoming a swamp. Will this counter sort of wasteland ability as well ?
    Wasteland target -> tropical, you respond by vision charm for forest into swamp -> wasteland ability fizzle because there is no longer a legal target ?
    Vision Charm will change the following:

Lands' sub-type (allowable types listed in previous posts)

Vision Charm will not change the following:

Lands' super-type (Basic, Snow, Legendary)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post

Island
    Swamp
    Mountain
    Forest
    Plains
    Urza's
    Power-plant
    Tower
    Mine
    Locus
    Lair
    Desert
    Gate

I am sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm trying to figure out card interaction between Vision Charm and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.

Urborg reads "Each land is a Swamp in addition to its other land types."

Vision Charm reads "Choose a land type and a basic land type. Each land of the first chosen type becomes the second chosen type until end of turn."

What happens if I target swamps and turn them into islands?

Thread Information