Thread: Tournament Report - Dutch Legacy Championship Top8 - 145 Players

Aug 2011
    NRW/Germany

Tournament Report - Dutch Legacy Championship Top8 - 145 Players

Last Sunday we went with 8 man from Aachen to play in the Dutch Legacy Championship in Eindhoven.
    We arrived at 9:30 and registered for the event, but the tournament wouldn't start until 11, so we played a round of EDH first.

The first round began on time, we were 145 players so we played 8 rounds + Top 8 Single elimination.

Decklist First:

Lands
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    3 Mishra's Factory
    1 Dust Bowl
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Buried Ruins

Ramp
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Thran Dynamo
    3 Voltaic Key
    3 Metalworker

Tanks
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Steel Hellkite
    4 Wurmcoil Engine
    2 Platinum Emperion

Stuff
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 All is Dust
    2 Karn Liberated
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

Sideboard
    2 Sundering Titan
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    4 Trinisphere
    1 Karn Liberated
    2 All is Dust
    4 Cursed Totem

The description is not very detailed because I didn't take notes and I just have lives total, who went first etc., the rest is what I remember.

Round 1 vs. Blade Esper (Luke Broeke)
    G1: I won the die roll and both keep their starting 7. I shock myself a few times with my Ancient Tombs, and bring him down to 0 within a few turns.
    SB: +1 Karn -1 All is Dust

G2: I can't get a creature on the field or they get sworded/pathed. He knocks me to 0 with SFM + Batterskull + Snapcaster.

G3: Again everything gets countered or sworded, in the meantime I got to 26 life due to the swords, but he slowly nibbs away my life total. In the 5th extra turn he can bring me down to 0.

That was my first (and only loss) of the day.

0-1 1-2

Round 2 vs. GWB Maverik with Bob (Kim van den Eng)
    G1: I shock myself again a few times with my Tomb, but I can decimate her life total quite fast, my tanks are protected, because I have a revoker on Pridemage and a Chalice at 1.

SB: -3 MW -1 Steel Hellkite +4 Cursed Totem

G2: I mull to 6, holding a hand with 4 lands and 2 Lodestone golems. The opponent begins with a hierarch. T2 I can play a Cursed Totem, Kim does not know the card and must read it first. T3 is Lodestone Number 1, wich get pathed promptly. T4 Lodestone number 2, once again pathed. Meanwhile, I drew a Chalice and another Lodestone. So T5 first a Chalice at 1 followed by Lodestone Number 3. T6 she is on one life and I found the 4th (!) Lodestone, while my opponent was still on 3 lands. As a last desperate attempt she tries to sword one on them, but I just ypoint to my chalice1 and she concedes.

1-1 3-2

Round 3 vs. BUG Landstill (Jeroen van Beeck)
    This was probably my fastest match of the day
    G1: I win the dice roll. Me Land, go. He Flooded Strand , go. T2 I play a revoker naming SFM. The next turns I play a few tanks, one of them got forced . I kill him with wurmcoil and Lodestone in a few turns.

SB: +4 Trinisphere -something (all is dust or something)

G2: I resolve a Revoker, but because I didn't saw a white producing land in G1, I decide to name Deed instead. Next turn I played a MW, which got forced, then a second MW.T4 he plays a standstill, but then I show him enough artifacts with my MW for 2 big tanks who both aren't answered by him. My opponent scoops. After the game he shows me his hand with two Deeds.

2-1 5-2

Round 4 vs. GW Maverik (Tim Van Der Lans)
    G1: I win the die roll.. My life fluctuates a little getting shocked by my tomb and Revoker + MWgetting sworded, but eventually an engine sticks who brings him down fast.

SB: Standard Package for Maverik: -3 MW -1 Steel Hellkite +4 Cursed Totem

G2: I can atack him once with an engine before it gets sworded then he ran me over with Goyf. Was a relatively short game.

G3: I can cast a Cursed Totem, after my revoker naming pridemage got sworded. Then a Chalice comes down at 1 and 2, a Lodestone finish the game quickly in my favor.

3-1 7-3

Round 5 vs. GWU Maverik with Geist of Saint Traft (Has this deck a Name?) (Ward Poulisse)

G1: The Geist is a surprise for me, haven't seen him in Legacy before. thanks to Pridemage he hits me for 7 on turn 3, T4 another attack, this time with a few little friends beating me for 12 damage, game over. (I took 2 damage using my Tomb).

SB: Standard Package for Maverik: -3 MW -1 Steel Hellkite +4 Cursed Totem

G2: I play the bigger creatures, protected by a Chalice at 1. I roll over him, he has no chance.

G3: We are stalling a bit back and forth and it does not look good for me. However, I could resolve a Chalice at 1 and Cursed Totem. Then when a topdecked Emperon etb, he scooped, because he has no out.

4-1 9-4

Round 6 vs. Delver Tempo first and only game against a non-Dutch (Marcel Kroll)

G1: I start trying Chalice at 1 in T1 which gets forced. T2 a 2nd attempt which is successful. I can throw more tanks on the field (including a revoker on Fireball :D) and he scooped.

SB: -3 Revoker -1 All is Dust +4 Trinisphere

G2: He starts with T1 Delver, my ramp and tanks get countered, so the Delver (flipped immediatley ofc) goes all the way.

G3: At least I could start this game, after mulling down to 6 I have a hand with a T1 Chalice at 1 followed by T2 Trinisphere and T3 Lodestone + Wasteland for one of his two tropicals. He scoops while still at 20 life. The Matchup is all about whether or not he can Force T1.

5-1 11-5

Round 7 vs. DDANT hybrid (Jamie Westlake)

G1: He wins the roll. T1 he puts Swamp + top. That can mean only one thing for me. T1 I cast Revoker naming LED + Chalice at 0. After a Turn 3 Lodestone Golem he scoops.

SB: +4 -2 Trinisphere Karn All is Dust -1 -1 Hellkite Steel

The head judge does a deck check and comes back five minutes later. The deck of my opponent is fine, I was asked to the Head station. In my Deckbox was a 16th Card (A previously lend Flusterstorm, of course not in the same sleeves as my deck). The Judge discussed a bit, but is mercifull, only giving me a warning, because I could not play the card (Thank God i don't play the blue MUD version). We get 10 minutes extra time (which I don't need in this Matchup anyway)

G2: He starts T1 Land + Top. I have a Chalice at 1 in T1, then a Trinisphere T2, Lodestone in T3, he scoops.

6-1 13-5

Round 8 vs. Delver Tempo (Jan van der Vegt)

We draw so we both get into top 8.

6-1-1 13-5

Top 8: We split the prizes and everyone gets € 175. Four Dutch want to play for the Cup, I don't need it, money is enough for me :).

Some thoughts:
    -During the whole Tourny I only had to mull 3-4 times, the deck ran really smooth.
    -I never got a single wurm token, either they were forced, sworded/pathed or I won the game, without the engines getting destroyed.
    -Dust Bowl wasn't needed at all, i think i'll play a 4th Mishras.

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

Re: Tournament Report - Dutch Legacy Championship Top8 - 145 Players

Fropper, great write up, and congrats on your performance!

I had a couple of questions about the good old decklist you played.

3 Metalworker/4 Thran Dynamo - I know Metalworker is more fragile, but it's the most explosive card in the deck, right? Wouldn't you want 4 of these, maybe at the cost of the fourth Thran Dynamo?
    2 Platimum Emperion - I didn't see these mentioned in the report at all. Do you think these would be better off as something else, like maybe Kuldotha Forgemaster or another All is Dust or something? The effect seems decent, but it doesn't seem nearly as good as Hellkite, Wurmcoil, Forgemaster, All is Dust, or Karn Liberated.
    4 Cursed Totem sideboard - this seems like it has poor synergy with your Metalworkers and Hellkites, but is this just the best card against Maverick?

Let us know. ;)
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

May 2010
    Sweden

Read your post in the MUD-thread as well, congratulations!
    I'd like to hear your thoughts on not playing Forgemaster + Blightsteel or Lightning Greaves, cards I found out to be very powerful.
    TTP

Aug 2011
    NRW/Germany

In Germany the classic list without the combo engine around Kuldotha Forgemaster is played alot more. I tested both lists and for me the one without forgemaster+greaves just runs more constant and smoother, especially with all the stifles running around these days. Getting this stifled is just bad, with this list I have actually a good matchup against tempo. Cursed Totems are boarded in against Maverick primarily and then I take out 3 MW and one Steel Hellkite. Against Maverick a Steel Hellkite + Cursed Totem is still a 5/5 unblockable (-Scryb Ranger). Cursed Totem is just too good against them, with them they are just a bad GW aggro deck, that gets owned by my Tanks.

Emperions were played, but got often sworded, seems I forgot too much about the matches already, should have taken notes after each round.

Metalworkers are removal magnet number 1, but are also dead lategame (even more then thran dynamo, because with an empty hand they tap for 0 unlike a thran dynamo), also they can't generate mana off all is dust and karn liberated.

Congratulations!

In your seventh round match, there is one other deck that can start the game with Swamp into Top, namely Junk. I'm not trying to criticize your play but I thought it would be good to know.

On the other hand, Junk has fallen off the wayside with the presence of combo and blue decks. For that reason alone you could ignore this possibility because you were at the higher tables (it was round 7 being 5-1, I can't see Junk performing that well).

Aug 2011
    NRW/Germany

You are right, could have been junk, haven't seen this deck in ages. Hadn't thought about this possibility at all. But at the same time no one of my opponents expected to play against MUD this high up the table in round 5+.

Thread Information