Thread: MTGO on OSX

MTGO on OSX

Has anyone gotten MTGO to work on a Mac? My next semester has promptly screwed me out of most terms of paper Magic tournaments so I figured I would give MTGO a try.

I saw an app called WinOnX that allows you to use Windows applications on a Mac so I figured this would work, but after installing MTGO is crashes every time I attempt to open in.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
    -cmordorf

Re: MTGO on OSX

Quote Originally Posted by cmorndorf View Post
    Has anyone gotten MTGO to work on a Mac? My next semester has promptly screwed me out of most terms of paper Magic tournaments so I figured I would give MTGO a try.

I saw an app called WinOnX that allows you to use Windows applications on a Mac so I figured this would work, but after installing MTGO is crashes every time I attempt to open in.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
    -cmordorf
    You could install Windows through Boot Camp, enabling you to dual boot into Windows or OS X.

Pros:
    Install is quick and easy
    MTGO works

Cons:
    Need a copy of Windows
    Runs pretty slowly, though I haven't tried it with more RAM yet.
    For some reason, my computer always defaults to boot in Windows. Even though Mac is set as the default.

Edit: I should mention, I am running Vista because that is what I had lying around. I'm sure XP or Windows 7 would run better.
    Last edited by GoblinSettler; 12-06-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Additional note
    "If magic is your crutch, cast it aside and learn to walk without it." —Teferi

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

There's no way to cheat playing MTGO without having a full Windows OS install.

That leaves two options:
    1) Dual boot
    2) Emulator/Virtual Machine

I prefer the 2nd option since it allows you to stay in OSX. Both require you to have the full OS software available however, so pick your poison.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    There's no way to cheat playing MTGO without having a full Windows OS install.
    That's definitely something I was trying to avoid :(
    I guess I'll see what I can do on trying to obtain a copy of Windows.
    Thanks guys!

EDIT:
    Would I have to run some sort of virus protection in the Windows emulation?
    Last edited by cmorndorf; 12-06-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Thread Information