Thread: Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast

Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast

This has never come up for me while playing, but I am curious about the differences between Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast (as well as Blue Elemental Blast and Hydroblast). I've been told that these cards interact differently when some spells such as Misdirection and Phantasmal Image, but I don't quite understand how. What is the difference between "Counter target blue spell" and "Counter target spell if it's blue"?

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, but I browsed through the archives of this thread and couldn't find anything.
    I see more than others do because I know where to look.

Jul 2009
    NRW, GER

Re: Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    This has never come up for me while playing, but I am curious about the differences between Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast (as well as Blue Elemental Blast and Hydroblast). I've been told that these cards interact differently when some spells such as Misdirection and Phantasmal Image, but I don't quite understand how. What is the difference between "Counter target blue spell" and "Counter target spell if it's blue"?

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, but I browsed through the archives of this thread and couldn't find anything.
    "Counter target blue spell" means that the target must be blue to be valid. You cannot target a Lightning Bolt with Red Elemental Blast. However, you can target Lightning Bolt with a Pyroblast but it won´t do anything upon resolution.

So let´s say you have a Blue Elemental Blast and a Hydroblast in hand and your opponent has a Phantasmal Image in play. You can not kill the image with Blue Elemental Blast since it is not a red creature. Hydroblast can target it.

Pyroblast can be played to target a spell or permanent even if it's not blue but Pyroblast won't counter or destroy them. The least it can do is add to storm count when it matters.

REB must have a legal blue target in comparison. You can't target Phantasmal Image copying another creature that is non-blue with Red Elemental Blast.

Both can be misdirected to Misdirection itself (in effect countering them) if they are targetting a single spell, but not permanents in play.

Also,
    Painting the Town REB by Andy Probasco.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Endgegner
    Dec 2008
    Karlsruhe, Germany

"Counter target blue spell" means, you have to choose a blue target for the spell, while "Counter target spell, if it is blue" can target any spell, but just won't do anything.

Examples:
    You can Hydroblast a Wrath. This will not counter the Wrath (unless it is red for some reason) but will give you another card in your Graveyard for Lavamancer for example.

You can't Misdirect a Blue Elemental Blast on a Lightning Bolt, unless there is another Red spell on the stack. When playing misdirection, you can change the target only to another legal target and BEB only has red spells as legal targets, after it has been played on one of those...
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Everything is better with Pirates!

Driver of the Team SPOD World Raiding Tour

The word is "Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa!"
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by I am the brainwasher View Post
    With Pyroblast any card on the battlefield or stack could have been a legal target for the Misdirection.
    In this scenario Pyroblast's mode is set to counter, is the above statement true? Does it have to target a spell on the stack?
    "Attack with Order of the Ebon Hand."
    "K, block with Jotun Grunt?"
    "It has pro white."
    "Swords?"
    "It still has pro white."

Team OMRIAIGTWYFEWARTCAE Team RTD
    Twitter: @shawnldewey

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    In this scenario Pyroblast's mode is set to counter, is the above statement true? Does it have to target a spell on the stack?
    You're correct; both types of blasts are modal. When a mode is chosen on announcement, that mode is locked in and the other modes effectively no longer exist.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

And this is the reason why my post got deleted?
    Just wanted to help out you know, not a big deal... .
    In response...Hypothek!

Quote Originally Posted by I am the brainwasher View Post
    And this is the reason why my post got deleted?
    Just wanted to help out you know, not a big deal... .
    Responses that are substantially incorrect/mistaken are deleted to avoid confusion. Responses that are only minorly incorrect may be edited to be correct.

Wanting to help out is great, please continue to do so - just at the same try to be reasonably sure that you understand what's being asked and that you have a good understanding of the appropriate rule(s) (speaking in general, not regarding that specific post).
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information