Thread: [Deck] Turbofog

Hybrid View

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

[Deck] Turbofog

I've had a blast (most fun playing magic in quite a while) playing Turbofog in Legacy. Legacy, obviously, has fog spells with more bells'n'whistles, but the deck also has more to worry about in that format (thus, it needs those buffed fog effects more). Porting over, the deck maintains a solid draw engine and Leyline (a damn fine card) - defensively it isn't as powerful, but still decent.

Here is a list:

// Lands - 22
    4 Sunpetal Grove
    2 Wooded Bastion
    5 Forest
    11 Plains

// Draw Engine - 15
    4 Howling Mine
    4 Rites of Flourishing
    4 Temple Bell
    3 Font of Mythos

// Defense - 23
    4 Ethereal Haze
    3 Fog
    4 Holy Day
    4 Dawn Charm
    4 Pollen Lullaby
    4 Leyline of Sanctity

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 Krosan Grip
    SB: 3 Torpor Orb
    SB: 3 Luminarch Ascension
    SB: 3 Elixir of Immortality
    SB: 3 Peace of Mind

The general gameplan is to play draw pieces, fog when necessary, and snowball into more fog effects, draw artifacts, and lands. Rinse and repeat (for the most part). You win by decking your opponent out. The deck looks slow, but it isn't (it can certainly win 2 of 3 in 50 minutes). Once the snowball gets rolling, you win very quickly.

As I've said before, the draw engine is cool in that it kills your opponent before it kills you, which is obviously the hilarious way to turn the major drawback of these cards (that your opponent draws first) into a benefit (namely, a win con).

The deck folds to plenty of combo decks. It happens to have a pretty decent matchup against decks which win with creatures (be they aggro, aggro-control, or even dedicated control). Admittedly, the Zoo/RDW matchups are not a cakewalk - I'd like to improve these.

From reading comments in the respective Legacy thread, it is obvious that most people haven't a clue about how to play or build the deck. I'm guessing the same will be true for the Modern forum here. I warn you now: this deck does not play magic as usual (it is norm-breaking like Dredge, in my opinion). You should probably take the deck for a spin before making suggestions.

As to immediate changes I'm working on: 1 Dual/4 Fetch is not out of the question. You want to minimize effects which decrease your library size (be they fetch, draw, opposing Goblin Guides, etc.) because you need to make sure your opponent draws out before you do. Also, I'd like a Privileged Position-type effect. I may just go with Greater Auramancy to protect Leyline (when I really need that card), but I'd like something which protects my artifacts as well.

peace,
    4eak

Re: [Deck] Turbofog

Have you considered Reliquary Tower? It would allow you to keep all those fog effects in your hand.
    It's also scientifically proven that resolving Nicol Bolas during a competitive legacy event causes the caster's penis to grow a good two or three inches.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

When you play the deck, you'll find that if you have 8 or more cards in hand, then you already have the ball rolling. You have at least 2 if not 3 draw engines in play by the time you start having that many cards in hand. Tower is almost always win-more at that point. I can see 1, but even then, you will likely prefer the color consistency instead.

I think the trick is to finding cards that help us get the balling rolling.

peace,
    4eak

Sep 2007
    GA

I used to be an avid player of Turbofog back during the std of TS/Lor and Lor/Ala. I haven't updated the deck in a while, although I can probably at least pitch around ideas until I update it for Modern.

If I was to update the list, it would probably look like this

Lands: 22
    4 B/W dual - most likely Godless Shrine for Modern
    3 Swamp
    3 Ghost Quarter
    2 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
    10 Plains

Creatures: 4
    4 Martyr of Sands

Draw: 11
    4 Howling Mine
    4 Temple Bell
    3 Spiteful Visions

Defense: 23
    4 Pollen Lullaby
    4 Dawn Charm
    4 Batwing Brume
    3 Chronomantic Escape
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Runed Halo
    2 Sunscour

Sideboard: 15
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Peace of Mind
    3 Elixir of Immortality
    3 Torpor Orb
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Leyline of the Void

It has a very similar playstyle but it also can kill with damage. I've actually been able to finish a game in under 10 minutes with this configuration. While losing green makes me lose K. Grip, I now have proactive protection. It's also wonderful to let someone build up an army, then kill them on their attack step with Batwing Brume (Once caused a player to lose 21 life on the attack and he didn't see it coming).

The use of Martyr was actually very good for me in that era due to instantly giving me loads of life, allowing me to gain loads of time to get the Chronomantic Escape lock online.

The old version of the deck had issues with reactive control decks like Fae with Bitterblossom, but it played pretty well against the field. It also had Oblivion Ring to deal with problematic permanents and Idyllic Tutor to find enchantments like Story Circle, and other hoser enchantments.
    Last edited by MGC_player; 12-11-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added stuff about deck

Will the deck benefit from running blue?

Perhaps it would be possible to cut green, as white already has strong fog effects (Pollen Lullaby, Ethereal Haze, Angelsong, Holy Day, or even Blessed Reversal). One could run Jaces (both could be viable), Snapcasters, and possibly Cryptic Command (the tap all mode is a fog effect).

Jace draws as many cards as rites of flourishing, may be a bit harder to cast due to UU, and doesn't allow additional landdrops (but also doesn't allow this for your opponents). It does die to creatures/removal (if you don't have leyline out), but its ultimate can be used four turns after it comes down and would likely cause them to lose on their next draw-step, it can also win the game on your turn (highly trivial, but worth noting, I suppose ).

I think it would be stronger than straight-up blue mill because of the fog effects and possibly better than GW because blue is so much stronger. Really the only effect you lose is Krosan Grip, but I can't think of any artifacts/enchantements that would be game breaking in a way that Wipe-away or Disenchant can't fix. Cryptic Command also adds more utility, and drawing 2/3 cards a turn should make it pretty easy to fulfill its UUU cost.

Perhaps something like this:

UW turbofog

4x Glacial Fortress
    4x Mystic Gate
    8x Island
    6x Plains

4x Jace Beleren
    4x Howling Mine
    4x Temple Bell
    3x Font of Mythos

4x Holy Day
    4x Ethereal Haze
    4x Pollen Lullaby
    4x Dawn Charm
    3x Cryptic Command

4x Leyline of Sanctity

On my own buddy list
    Jun 2007
    Bristol RI

I personally love turbofog, Ive played it a bunch online for modern and I think in the right metagame it could do well. I have found that it does not do well against artifact or enchantment destruction, because of this I would highly suggest using either Apostle's Blessing, or Rebuff the Wicked in the side.

Thread Information