Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Bertoncini's serial cheating.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Alex Bertoncini's serial cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthuloo View Post
    Well, in this case 10,000$ at least
    That's blood money, my friend, lol.

Isn't there a much more profitable way to gain lots of money illegally? I mean come on, cheating at magic? I would think that stealing cars would allow for a lot more free time... (sarcasm)

Anyways, I was thinking satisfaction for doing a good job, internally not externally with cash/fame. I am internally motivated with magic and I have a hard time understanding the idea of external motivation for playing a card game competitively...seems like gravy to me.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post

Isn't there a much more profitable way to gain lots of money illegally? I mean come on, cheating at magic? I would think that stealing cars would allow for a lot more free time...
    You also get adoration, adulation, respect, fame. Hell I'm from Malaysia and even I know who Alex Bertoncini is. You don't really get that from stealing cars. Also you can't tell friends you "steal cars for a living". On the other hand, if you were a pro Magic/Poker player, that is some major Style points (amongst geeks of course).

I really feel like puking when I see him hold that trophy. I boot up SCG to check some prices, and see his ugly, sly mug holding that fat Cheque and power nine. Disgusting!

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I was attempting to be funny...I am habitually bad at jokes. I shall insert a 'sarcasm' note in my post...
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
    I haven't seen the video, but it has been inspected and the third card is crimped, as it's pressed against the table, making it look like two cards in this snapshot.

Again, I haven't seen the vid myself, but some respectable folks looked it over very closely and reported that Alex is Bstorming appropriately here.
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Personally, I think the brainstorm evidence is not conclusive, heres a quick csi:

I do see how it could be interpreted to have a card in between RY and YB, but the shadow between the yellow and blue is not present above his pinky finger, suggesting that it is just the sleeve warped, also note the slight deviation in the angle of the shadow as it passes his ring finger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevethedoer View Post
    http://imageshack.us/f/249/only3cards.jpg/

Crappy link i know... but it still only shows 3 cards.... in the other pictures the sleeves are just wrinkled from him bending them making them look like its 4 cards....
    Crappy links are crappy, watch the video: SCGAtl - Leg Rd 6 - Alex Bertoncini vs Alex Smith

Clearly in the video you can see him using Bstorm as Ancestral Recall, he then attempted to resolve Jin-Gitaxias trigger to cover his act (not sure if his opponent was paying attention) but the commentators were stupified. After that he Bstormed for 4 cards (at least).

Sep 2007
    MN

I have watched the video extensively at regular speed, and in short pausing bursts along with some screen captures. I am confident that he drew 4 off the brainstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post

Isn't there a much more profitable way to gain lots of money illegally? I mean come on, cheating at magic?
    The thing is that to cheat very frequently does mean not only a fact, but a way to think, a way to see the game and to live it. At this point, to cheat is not only for prize or glory, it becomes a kinda “sport into a sport” with its own adrenalin, feeling, glory, rules …
    It is a bit like to steal : when someone becomes to steal very frequently, it will becomes extremely difficult for him to stop to steal. Whatever if it is for a leaf of paper, a plastic pen, a golden watch or a TV flat screen. It could even become a psychic disease.
    I saw and heard similar reasoning / situation with some players in electronic sport competition. Years ago, there even was an article written by a multiple championship winner, where it clearly admits, although he stopped to play in the competitive world, that he cheated very frequently if not always, and won many prizes this way. He explained very well how he becomes a serial cheater from the first time he did it “just to test” to a the step he couldn’t play without to cheat, even when he will loose for sure. He grabbed a victory in a huge championship he eventually won, with a full relax attitude towards suspicion.
    From a lot of people who knew him well irl, this guy was a very cool guy, and probably still is. But strictly regarding competitive rules, he was a f$^*!king cheater, who didn’t deserve any respect (from his own words). The future will tell us if this mtg history will be another brick in a wall of shame or not.

Doesn't SCG want a regular group of 'characters' to win these things? Why else would they have given people byes for so long, appearance fees, etc.?

They want a stable of 'Magic Stars' because (and this is pretty sad in the big game of life) because people tend to barn up on these guys, especially the fringe players. It probably drives premium membership, attendance etc.. Maybe this zoloft snorting fool is the 'villian' of their little tour. With all the variance in magic (in both in game draws, your opponents draws, and most importantly your matchups) it's hard to imagine the same person winning multiple 8-12 round tournaments consistently without cheating a little bit.

Can't believe I smoked this dude out. Can't smoke out villains.

-1 for me.

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by snappingbowls | ಠ_ಠ View Post

Off topic, I kind of like yet another reason to ban Brainstorm. It is easier to catch the Cheatyface on a resolved Ponder or Preordain.
    On the Sep 2011 Ban List Updates,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    Yep DCI/Wizards never fails... those that cry the loudest wins!

Funny, i didnt notice before that he won a brainstorm along with the P9 (at the left of the black lotus on the picture)

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
    Look at who he hangs out with.

Oscar Flores has allegedly admitted to cheating off the record, Nate Pease got banned from Vintage (for cheating), and didn't either Max Tietze or Mike Posgay get DQed from Nationals or something?
    Yeap Yeap. One of my favorite MTG stories involves me watching Nate Pease cheat in the -first- T1 tournament he played in after being unbanned by the community. He pledged to not cheat stating that he had "grown up" - Lawls. People like this make me rather sick and deserve a major beatdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Dec 2009
    Denmark

I always wondered how this not-really-that-amazing player kept putting up these kinds of results. It's strange that he didn't pick up a Brainstorm deck sooner than he did. That card is basically a wet dream come true for sleight of hand artists (read: cheaters). He has taken a big dump all over the integrity of the SCG circuit, and everything they stand for is a total joke until they fix this situation. I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a flying fuck about getting DCI banned, because he was going to quit Magic anyway, but I really hope SCG can get their money and P9 back from him somehow.

May 2011
    Ontario, Canada

From his Twitter:

amentalmisstep Alex Bertoncini
    Quitting magic next year. Looking for people who can help me get on track for a real job. Anyone?

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

If I were an employer, I would not want to hire someone who cheats in a leisure activity. What does it say of someone's character? I certainly would not want a cheater working at or representing my company.

I heard David Copperfield is looking for an assistant. If everything around this story is confirmed, I guess it could be an idea to explore.

Jun 2010
    Germany

Omg in the reanimator vs. merfolk video,G1 Alex drew a total of 5 cards off brainstorm without taking a single card back. while he Force of Will'd the Merfolks FoW after drawing the first 3 cards. What the fuck...that is definitely a Game Loss

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

In response...Hypothek!

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Like it or not, this is only going to get worse as the game gets more popular. Prize payouts get higher, cards are worth more, and liars, cheats and thieves just can't resist the call of the green.

Money is a hell of a drug.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Epic Fizzle
    Feb 2007
    River Falls, Wi

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Like it or not, this is only going to get worse as the game gets more popular. Prize payouts get higher, cards are worth more, and liars, cheats and thieves just can't resist the call of the green.

Money is a hell of a drug.

See GP: Chicago.

At least they caught the guys stealing bags.

Thread Information