Thread: [Article] Cook's Kitchen - Zombies.

Bryant Cook

[Article] Cook's Kitchen - Zombies.

Re: [Article] Cook's Kitchen - Zombies.

The comics are 100x better than the show. Hate me if you disagree.

I liked the article. You did right in the scenario. "It's rough out there" is the attitude I take when it comes to competitive play as well. It's more than possible to play tightly without being an asshole (not saying you are one. Far from it, you taught the guy a valuable lesson).

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Cue every Vintage player ever saying your opponent is a Scrub who doesn't Play To Win.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I loved it. Actual article writing with a proper message is so rare in our community. Furthermore, relating one genre you love with another you love is the kind of creativity that makes an article stick in a reader's head beyond the time it takes Firefox to load the next page. There's no need to be long-winded or sophisticated.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jun 2009
    Quad Cities, IA

I've never read the comics, but I'd like to. Is the show staying on track with the real story thus far?

Nice read though. The Walking Dead and Magic are two of my favorite activities and the parallels between them are fun to discover, to say the least.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyQuinn View Post
    I liked the article. You did right in the scenario. "It's rough out there" is the attitude I take when it comes to competitive play as well. It's more than possible to play tightly without being an asshole (not saying you are one. Far from it, you taught the guy a valuable lesson).
    I liked it too.

it sort of ties in to this weird overarching theme I feel like I've noted in recent posts, of people getting into that headspace where shortcuts and algorithmic tells are supposed to determine the outcome of a given match.

For example; the Burning Wish/Spell Snare example you describe, where a concession is apparently implicit in that match? Reminds me of another parallel in a 'recent' work of fiction - Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

***Potential spoiler, but probably not.***

The situation is Sherlock and Moriarty staring each other down, silently sizing each other up; Sherlock goes into his "plan of attack" mode and plots a fight strategy as he often did in the first movie, but as it turns out Moriarty engages him in that game as well, and through an apparent series of facial tells they have an almost telepathic exchange wherein the winner of the battle is determined before it even begins. Moriarty tries to glean the implicit win at this point, and Sherlock's response is one which changes the outcome entirely away from their mutually agreed projection.

***Exeunt spoilers***

We do exactly this way too often, in life and in Magic; we think we know exactly what the right play is, and we talk ourselves out of engaging the situation at hand and being willing to move a step backwards, or two or three, in order to move forwards. Sometimes the apparently suboptimal play is the right play.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

I mean... what an idiot for showing you the Snare. If you're passing him priority, you're unable to use the two LED, and probably didn't have enough floating to do anything. Smart thing for him would be to let it resolve, even after showing you, because he has to know you'll go for the win right? You did absolutely nothing wrong, got yourself out of an impossible situation, and completely outplayed him. It should've been fairly obvious what you were attempting, imo.

Since when did Jedi Mind Tricks become Grimey? Yeah it's gotta hurt to be so outplayed, but lashing out was wrong.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Nice article! I'm also a fan of the show and was fortunate enough to get the first 3 volumes in paperback for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    Since when did Jedi Mind Tricks become Grimey? Yeah it's gotta hurt to be so outplayed, but lashing out was wrong.
    To keep things related to Walking Dead... ***********Spoiler I guess***********
    The opponent had already won in his mind and moved into the next round. Bryant stole the game from him by making the right plays based on the information available to him. Consider the parallels between the opponent and Shane when Rick finds his wife and wants to continue his life with his family. Shane had already made Lori and Carl his family and snapped when it was taken away. Some people just react better to this than others...

The article is a great lesson in limiting the information you give your opponent.

Thread Information