Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: Dark Ascension in Legacy

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Re: Dark Ascension in Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Seems like the 'increasing' cycle of cards leads to a functional difference between the oracle and print texts of Fork - "...Treat fork as a an exact copy of target spell..." can clearly be different than putting a copy on the stack.

That leaves me wondering whether the Master's Edition Version has the same weight as print ones as far as power level errata are concerned.
    Fork doesn't have power-level errata. It has errata because it's extremely confusing and poorly worded. The original wording creates a separate copy and then tells you to use the fork card to represent that copy on the stack. The current oracle wording is the accepted interpretation of the original wording as it fits into the current rules. It's very unlikely that they would change that interpretation in the future. This is different from something like phyrexian dreadnought because with that card they actually changed how it worked because it was too powerful. With fork, they didn't really change how it worked, and even if they did, it's because whatever it used to do doesn't work in the rules anymore.

Not really that excited about DKA...undying is cool, better than persist however with Swords and Path being played(Legacy), undying just seems pretty 'meh'....I wish the Strangleroot Geist was 1 colorless and 1 red mana (^_~)b

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Well, after getting my first FNM and a ton of play time in with a full set of Sorin's I can honestly say this guy only has a spot in Legacy if you make a full on tokens archetype. It's not going to slip into much of anything.

The Vampire it makes is handy, but meh. Elspeth, Knight Errant is one of my favorite cards of all time and it's just not all that comparable. Elspeth is violent compared to Sorin's slow push forward. Damage over time goes to Elspeth easily. Even taking the life difference in gaining some off the Lifelink Vamps. Elspeth will always be taken over Sorin in anything aggressive or controllish, which of course is just about everything.

Now on the other hand if you built a full token deck, he's actually pretty powerful. That Emblem ability is the saving grace. It's really, really strong. It basically says have a free Orcish Oriflamme for free that no one can get rid of. It's not too bad. I seriously doubt it's going to spawn anything new. It would take a little bit more token support.

Funny thing is even in standard, I wasn't all that impressed. He's decent, but nothing to shoot him up in price. Calling $25 overall price on him from here. He's pretty balanced.

I have a different take regarding this. Elspeth should be taken over Sorin in any control deck that doesn't run black. In a vacuum, Elspeth would kill Sorin in a snap. With regards to their first ability however, Sorin's vampires will take it home. Minute life gain is better than nothing at all.

In an aggro deck, there is no reason to take Sorin over Elspeth since her second ability trumps Sorin's +1/0, still an exception to this would be token decks that run black. In a controllish build, I would take in Sorin over Elspeth because 1) he ultimates one turn ahead which is just infinitely better in terms of this game 2) casting planeswalkers with an active Sorin on the table would be problematic for an opponent if he doesn't deal with him first, because of this 3) inevitability not limited to creatures only, Sorin would take lead in breaking of standoffs

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

A BW lingering soul deck arrived 9th at the latest SGC! And Mono white Thalia deck is a real thing in vintage, with johnny cage and thalia+arbiter+9 strip as a core of the deck.

Guess i called those right. Still no Sorin in sight though.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    A BW lingering soul deck arrived 9th at the latest SGC! And Mono white Thalia deck is a real thing in vintage, with johnny cage and thalia+arbiter+9 strip as a core of the deck.
    What's "johnny cage?" Thanks.

Grafdigger's cage

Jun 2010
    Central NY

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Name
    Enchantment
    Activated abilities of lands can't be played unless they're mana abilities.
    RR
    Sorcery
    Destroy target nonbasic land.

Simple, elegant, and solid.

Thread Information