Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Ascension in Legacy

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Dark Ascension in Legacy

Alright, a lot of cards are spoiled today from the mothership.

There's already theorycrafting involved with Faithless Looting. Possibly the card Goblin Welder and Gamble is waiting for to break out?

What caught my eye in today's spoiler was Gravecrawler. Maybe Zombies will be the new Merfolk? I have a feeling it's going to be an addition to Almost-Manaless Dredge decks.

Any hidden gems you guys see?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: Dark Ascension in Legacy

Strangleroot Geist gg
    Creature - Spirit Uncommon
    Haste
    Undying (When this creature dies, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.)
    2/1

Not great not bad. Undying is an interesting reverse of Persist.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Gravecrawler has a spot in eternal dredge decks, that's pretty obvious. Netter than bloodghast? Doubt.

I wished for a Long time that a mechanic awards low life to turn games or award suicide strategies; and here it is! Hopefully WotC forgot that Dark Confidant, Necropotence, Y. Bargain, Ad Nauseam and Death Wish exists and print some goodies for eternal combo decks.

Cabal Ritual with fateful Hour mechanic? Anyone?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Nov 2010
    Seattle

Gravecrawler makes me want to try Suicide Black again.
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

Chalice of Life//Chalice of Death may be good in Ascension. It's like The Rack but for lifegain.dec. Might be too slow for the lifegain part, but the lifeloss part gets around Humility/Moat/Jace bounce/creature removal/Ensnaring Bridge shenanigans.

Jan 2011
    Austria

I guess with four 2-power-one-drops it is quite possible to make a Zombie based Suicide Black.

Gravecrawler got my attention. A quick look at other zombie creatures that work well revealed:

- Carrion Feeder
    - Nantuko Husk / Phyrexian Ghoul
    - Fleshbag Marauder

Cabal Therapy loves Gravecrawler as well as Strangleroot Geist.

T1 Cabal Therapy,
    T2 play Geist, sac for Therapy, attack for 3

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

I check my look in the mirror.

Feb 2011

Wizards needs to print a Bitterblossom that puts flying 1/1 Zombie tokens into play instead of Faeries.

Flying Zombie tokens.
    One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Not great not bad. Undying is an interesting reverse of Persist.
    You want to field Sage of Fables and Ashnod's Altar with it?

Alas, they shuffled the color pie, and nerfed fast mana: It would have to be redder, and weaker.

A quick look at other zombie creatures that work well revealed:
    More possibilities: Zombie Infestation,Bridge from Below, Putrid Raptor ,Shambling Shell

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Gravecrawler has a spot in eternal dredge decks, that's pretty obvious. Netter than bloodghast? Doubt.

I wished for a Long time that a mechanic awards low life to turn games or award suicide strategies; and here it is! Hopefully WotC forgot that Dark Confidant, Necropotence, Y. Bargain, Ad Nauseam and Death Wish exists and print some goodies for eternal combo decks.

The flavor of Fateful Hour makes me think it's the human mechanic, so it's likely concentrated in white and green. I doubt we'll see anything Legacy-playable from it.

Nov 2010
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by pcccp View Post
    Cabal Therapy loves Gravecrawler
    I'm imagining a situation that goes like this:

Turn 1: Dark Ritual, Thoughtseize, Grave Crawler, Cabal Therapy, Flashback Cabal.

Turn 2: Zombie, recast Grave Crawler

A man can dream.
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

I'm totally going to build a Gravecrawler / Goblin Bombardment deck. I don't care if it's going to be awful and fragile to GY hate, it will be all sorts of fun.

Undying could be pretty exciting. Too bad it's not likely to come with a useful ability in addition to a palatable cost (e.g. Kitchen Finks).
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Gravecrawler also looks pretty neat with Phyrexian Altar to create an infinite loop.

Question is how to abuse it best, considering the combo would most likely suck very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Gravecrawler also looks pretty neat with Phyrexian Altar to create an infinite loop.

Question is how to abuse it best, considering the combo would most likely suck very much.
    Easy peasy. In fact, thank you for pointing that out, I've been wanting to make a deck based around this card forever and I just might because it's an interesting concept.

Bitter Ordeal Unlike other milling strategies, Phyrexian Alter + Gravecrawler + Bitter Ordeal exiles their library in one turn given you have 3 mana available.

It's not a particularly amazing combo, but it works.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Gravecrawler makes me want to play this:

4x Gravecrawler
    4x Carrion Feeder
    4x Stromgald Crusader
    4x Fleshbag Marauder
    4x Lord of the Undead
    2x Cemetery Reaper
    2x Death Baron

4x Sarcomancy

4x Dark Ritual
    4x Hymn to Tourach
    4x Thoughtseize

4x Wasteland
    2x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    14x Swamp
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Any Gravecrawler combo you might be considering is going to require another Zombie to be in play, so it's basically already a 3-card combo.

Fateful Hour looks flavorful but ultimately bad, if it doesn't offer a way to subsist on 5 life and genuinely turn the game around. Undying however looks bloody great, a real one-up to Persist.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    The flavor of Fateful Hour makes me think it's the human mechanic, so it's likely concentrated in white and green. I doubt we'll see anything Legacy-playable from it.
    You are right. I overlooked that the keywords are pretty focused on their tribe. If that's the case it would be a complete waste for a universal keyword to Be only GW because the other tribes have pretty creature exclusive keywords.

@rufus:
    I know that they stripped black from LD, tutors, mana acceleration and the "Life for profit"-Philosophy leaving the whole color only filled with creature removal and expensive drawback demons which is the reason for being the worst color in magic since years.

I just wanted to mention that "fateful hour" could fill some gaps in attrition battles and give Players a Comeback in One mechanic which is exciting because it feels like treshhold but more Natural to achieve. Due to the Nature of black this mechanic feels very synergetic with a lot of black strategies which desperately need a boost through all formats.

As mentioned above this personal words this seems to Be Part of the GW human tribe which is complete bullshit imo to print such a mechanic in the colors of Protection and lifegain. It's like printing a "green-only" mechanic that awards not having creatures.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    It's not a particularly amazing combo, but it works.
    It requires 4 cards: the altar, a zombie in play, the gravecrawler, and the wincard.
    It's got similar issues, but Glimpse of Nature would also be a fun effect there...

Gravecrawler makes me want to play this:
    I want discard zombie...something like:

4x Gravecrawler
    4x BloodGhast
    4x Rotting Rats
    4x Sarcomancy
    4x Diregraf Ghoul

4x Zombie Infestation

4x Smallpox
    4x Hymn to Tourach
    4x Blackmail
    4x Mind Swords