Thread: MTG Toolbox available

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

MTG Toolbox available

Hey, Wizard's official App is available in the App store. You can download it here.

I haven't been able to check it out yet because my iPhone seems to have a problem with finding it in the App Store, but obviously it contains the basics: lifecounter, deckbuilder and a card database. For what I've heared you have to pay for each extension to the card database. Other than that it also contains an article reader where you can read the Daily MTG, and it's got an event and store locator.

So that's more or less what it's got. I think it's a pretty decent start. But I would like to ask Wizards to take it a step further, here is something it doesn't have and what I'd like to see:

It should be possible for tournament organizers to run a tournament with the help of this app. To start with, it could collect decklists. MTG Toolbox already contains a deckbuilder, why not let players pick one of the decks out of the deckbuilder and have the possibility to submit that decklist to a certain tournament. The tournament organizer automatically collects these virtual decklists with his end of the app, which automatically checks for <minimum of 60 cards maindeck>, <no illegal cards>, <sideboard = 0 or 15 cards>. This could save judges alot of time checking all the decklists, because the app can do that for them. If a list doesn't seem correct (note at 61+ cards, full alert at 59 or less cards for instance) these decks will pop up in a list so judges can decide to check them.

Further, with the current-location tool built-in, a tournament organizer can set the location of his tournament at the start, and players can automatically log in to the right tournament to submit their decklists.

You can take this another step further: in app result slips. If both players have the app, they can submit the score for their table at the tournament. This information goes directly to the tournament organizer where it's automatically uploaded to DCI Reporter.

Another step: since players are logged into a tournament (until they drop), they can see standings and pairings on the App. No need anymore to run like a madman to the pairingslist hoping you make it in time to your table.

(the text above comes from teamadhd.nl)
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Dec 2006
    Spain

Re: MTG Toolbox available

I'll wait for the Android one.

Someone should tell WotC and SCG about this Android thing. I hear it's catching on.

Share (%) of Smartphone Subscribers
    Aug-11 Nov-11 Point Change
    Total Smartphone Subscribers 100.0% 100.0% N/A
    Google 43.8% 46.9% 3.1
    Apple 27.3% 28.7% 1.4

http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events...r_Market_Share
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

Yes. If I wanted to lease my hardware I'd lease a Ferrari. Leasing an iPad then getting the blessed permission of Mr. Smith to place Matrix approved software on it is not my bag.

The only Droid app thus far (at least in market) is MT Tracker (sic). It's nice for quick oracle lookup and quick tcg price lookups.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I think all those are great ideas. Unfortunately the Apple Store app is developed by the same geniuses who put together Magic Online. The app right now is a nice skin with a ton of links to the built in browser that pulls up the official(ly slow) WotC site.

For example, searching for nearby tournaments pulls this awful page: http://ww2.wizards.com/StoreAndEventLocator/

Don't hold your breathe for any real functionality until version 3.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

I think it's disappointing that they don't offer anything new. They offer the same thing others have already made, except they have the arrogance that they do it better; otherwise why would you make the same thing as someone else.

They have the power to make a new app and change the way tournaments are organized, but they totally dropped the ball there. I hope someone from Wizards sees my suggestions and thinks "Hey, why didn't we think of that? Let's make this happen right now - because it's technically not very difficult and would actually make a difference!". But then again, sometimes I don't think people at Wizards think more than "derp." ...

That said; there are programs that convert Apps for Apple to other platforms like Android. Obviously it generates some bugs, but that shouldn't be too hard to iron out.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    I think all those are great ideas. Unfortunately the Apple Store app is developed by the same geniuses who put together Magic Online. The app right now is a nice skin with a ton of links to the built in browser that pulls up the official(ly slow) WotC site.

For example, searching for nearby tournaments pulls this awful page: http://ww2.wizards.com/StoreAndEventLocator/

yeah, i was really hoping the event finder and store finder were going to be a little more sophisticated. maybe i'm just dumb, but i could only make the event finder show me the large WOTC events that are upcoming - seems like it would be a good idea to use your GPS to be able to tell you what events local stores are running near you?

And opening up the browser for the store locator is just terrible. i don't understand what that isn't in-app...

the tournament organization idea that Skeggi put forth is a pretty sweet one!

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post

That's what surprised me the most. The locator is practically unusable unless you're on an iPad. Additionally, I don't think the stores on that page have been updated in a decade.

Such an overwhelming disapointment. Wotc just doesn't understand technology at all. Modo this app. Their web presence. Bleh

I think what Skeggi suggested is a bare minimum for the app to be successful resp. worth using.. it could also include

comprehensive rules, oracle, judge app
    generate ad-hoc non-sanctioned tournaments
    draft timer

electronic registration = tournaments start on time, all sanctioned events reported
    finished tournaments could have all decks - matches submitted resulting into overwhelming database for deckbuilding, match up analysis, bans based on facts and such...

so many opportunities to become complex mtg tool... I have tried dozen of apps both on Android and iphone ain't running any till it incorporates mentioned above resp. the environment is technology ready and friendly and wasting your battery and time using it pays off, until then paper is paper for writing down cards and numbers...

apparently, WOTC has been sending out cease and desist letters to developers of competing apps. developer of imtg got a letter. I use it since they have an offline cache option for pics and prices.

I tried the toolbox. The search function takes too long to load, and there's no way to keep inventory.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Sounds like they're doing the same thing they did back when Magic Online was first being published - killing all the good alternatives with C&D letters.

This effectively killed Apprentice as a means of playing online.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

they've only been hitting not he android apps thus far. All the iOS ones are still rocking. Decked build and decked drafter are just miles ahead of anything WOTC could put out.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Next to the fact that other database apps are faster, the lifecounter in MTG Toolbox is not very user friendly. Next to the + of the top player is the home button, next to the - of the bottom player there's some link no-one wants. So often in use, you press the wrong button, making you hate Wizards more and more with each use.

Thread Information