Thread: Damaged card help

Aug 2008
    Wilkes Barre

Damaged card help

So I have taken on the plan to Jap Foil my EDH deck and recently acquired a Top for pretty cheap, but with a downside. This top is creased pretty bad unfortunately and now is showing damage through the sleeve. It is obvious which sleeve is the top. Now I don't ever plan to cheat and my play group says they don't care, but I would rather it just not damage the sleeve. With that comes my questions

I am currently using Dragonshield Brown sleeves and the Top is double sleeved, do you think a textured back sleeve would be better? I refuse to you use any sleeve with a picture on the back, so do not suggest that.

Is there a way to somehow "fix" the crease to make the card lay better in sleeves? Someone mentioned ironing it, but not sure if they were serious or not.

Any suggestions are welcomed assuming they are meant to be helpful.

Thanks guys/girls
    Check out my Articles

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

Re: Damaged card help

You could try a big heavy book. Not to much works. Have you tried double sleeving. That might help "hide" the card.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I've also heard ironing a card through a couple sheets of material can straighten one out. I am thinking there might be some truth to that. As long as the iron doesn't actually touch the card itself it should work. Never tried it myself though.

bruizar

Using an iron on a foil card will probably destroy the card since foils warp with temperature fluctuations.

Mar 2011
    Boston, MA

I thought the reason foils bent was moisture doing work on one side more than the other. That's why people have problems with foils in humid regions.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Yes but temp. also is a roll. Leave a foil card out in the sun for a few hours, and you will have a nice little rolled up straw to snort your coke with.

I suggest pressing it with a nice heavy book as well. Better yet, a press of some sort. I have actually fixed a card or two putting it between 2 sheets of paper and leaving it at the bottom of my excersie machine weight stack for a week.

I'd try some combination of moderate heat and pressing effect... something like ironing through thick layer of cloth and dough press

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    I'd try some combination of moderate heat and pressing effect... something like ironing through thick layer of cloth and dough press
    DO NOT IRON!!!

You will curl your card like no other. The only way to avoid this would be to keep it pressed flat hard enough until it comes to room temp, and even then it might not work.

Ironing is fine for normal cards but not foils.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

You could always take a crap foil, create the same crease and then try to fix it using all of these methods.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Yes, listen to Phoenix Ignition. If you do any of these things, test them first on a junk foil card. (Just like how dye or furniture cleaner or similar products warn you to always test it on an out-of-the-way place. Sometimes things don't go as planned.)

Thread Information