Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any decent scene around the Portland area?

Apr 2011
    Portland, OR

Is there any decent scene around the Portland area?

As the title states, I'm looking for a new playground in the Portland area. I'm considering moving out there with some family and was just curious if there was anything happening.

Re: Is there any decent scene around the Portland area?

according to that show portlandia, magic the gathering SHOULD be huge out there.

Nov 2010
    Seattle

Which Portland?
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

Apr 2011
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by boneclub24 View Post
    Which Portland?
    Oregon.

I did some googling and found quite a few shops in the area (like 12 or something), but if they're anything like the ones around here... meh. Sure gigantic FNM's are cool, but I need a good Legacy scene that doesn't involve me driving 4 hours for a change.

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by iPhael View Post
    Oregon.

I did some googling and found quite a few shops in the area (like 12 or something), but if they're anything like the ones around here... meh. Sure gigantic FNM's are cool, but I need a good Legacy scene that doesn't involve me driving 4 hours for a change.
    USE the BARDO SIGNAL!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Nov 2010
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by iPhael View Post
    Oregon.

The only store around here that I know of that does legacy is Guardian Games... who only do it on the 3rd Tuesday of every month. They have said that if there are enough people wanting it, they can make it a regular thing and replace more TNMs.
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

Was just in Portland for a few months. For Legacy, you'd want to check out Portal Games, pretty much the only shop that continues to host the format, but it's a chill environment with a decent selection of cards. Guardian seemed more keen on EDH, Standard, and some Modern.

There are some cool dudes out there and a few of them (FromCairo, Lochlan, others) post in the boards. The events are 5 bucks every Saturday at 3, then the last week of the month is a 15 dollar tournament. Usually a turnout of 6-12 players. They have a thread going somewhere here...something like "Portland Legacy, WTF?" for more info.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Sad to say, but I'm not sure where -- if any -- the Portland Legacy exists these days. It periodically shifts between here and Vancouver (just over the Columbia River), but it's pretty dead now, as far as I know. In the past, it would pick up in the summer when people were between years in college, but I haven't been to a local Legacy tournament in 1.5 years.

If you find anything, let me know.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

http://portalgamespdx.com/portland_games/calendar.html

One day I'll get a deck and make it to one. This looks like the only regular Legacy.

Nov 2010
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post

One day I'll get a deck and make it to one. This looks like the only regular Legacy.
    Didn't know this was a store. Will definitely check it out. 10-proxy, eh? Makes quite a few decks very appealing.

Apr 2011
    Portland, OR

Yeah this has my attention, I'll definitely look into it if I make the move (which is looking more and more likely). Thanks.

Mar 2007
    RI

Cool, look forward to some new faces.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

The location is great. Have you or anyone played in any of their legacy tournaments? What's the scene like?

That's not my play, I'm just choosing to reveal it
    Oct 2011
    Portland, OR.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    The location is great. Have you or anyone played in any of their legacy tournaments? What's the scene like?
    I've played in most of their legacy tournaments. The attendees are competitive and friendly and the decks change a lot. It's always fun and 100% of the entry fees go to a prize of store credit--and the shop itself is excellent (although smaller than Guardian) with nice owners and a fairly good selection of singles.

@ Jak: There's half a dozen full-proxy house decks you can use if you don't own cards, so there's really no reason not to show up.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Will definitely try. I invested in standard last year since there was no legacy to be found, so eventually I'll make the transition back to the legacy cardboard. I just havent been interested in magic for a bit. This sparks it though. Hopefully I can make it to one soon! I do like the ten proxy rule because it will allow for some good experimentation. Haven't played in a legacy tournament since rocking Bant Survival ha.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2011
    Middle of Somewhere, Nowhere.

I would like to put in in favor of Portal Games.

The Legacy community there, while not as vast as some other places, (LA, NY) is very enthusiastic and the man who runs the store is a very honest and considerate person.

They give a very, very good trade in rate for cards, and also have very competitive prices.

I always make it a point to make a trip there, play some legacy/EDH, and trade in some cards when i go up to portland to visit family.
    "The last top 8 slot went to the winner of that Death and Taxes mirror, or as I like to call it, the White Supremacy Mirror.
    "Swiggety Swagtusk, Here comes the Thragtusk!"

In response to "What's the best replacement for Force of Will?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    Modern

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

I'll be at one of these in the future. Just started putting a deck together so once the cards get here I'll be slinging spells. Hope to see this great scene in action!

Nov 2010
    Seattle

I'll be at one of these in the future. Just started putting a deck together so once the cards get here I'll be slinging spells. Hope to see this great scene in action!
    Yeah, I'll probably be running something terrible. But what the heck, right?

Apr 2011
    Portland, OR

So I made the move and headed down to Portal last night for draft night. I was seriously impressed. They had basically everything I needed and had EXTREMELY reasonable trade in values. Plus the guys running the show are really really cool.

They said that the 10 Proxy Tourneys every Saturday draw between 6-12 people, which is a fine to start and grow upon. I'm very excited to see some other Sourcers out there, and my buddy Coraz86 here needs me to confirm Bardo and Pinder's "BAMFitude" hahaha.

See you all at the tables!

Nov 2010
    Seattle

I still need to find time to head over there.

Thread Information