Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Ever Legacy Event - SCG Cincinnati

2nd Ever Legacy Event - SCG Cincinnati

Just finished my second ever legacy event at SCG Cincinnati playing U/W Thopters. I've been basing my lists off recommendations and ideas from sdematt -tips hat- and the rest of the guys in the thopters thread. Why do I play this deck, event though thopters are "bad"? Because it's my legacy deck :-) that, and I own Moat now.....

The list:
    Lands: 22
    5 Island
    2 Plains
    4 Tundra
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Scalding Tarn
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Ancient Den
    1 Academy Ruins

U/W Spells: 20
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Spell Snare
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Jace, the Mindsculptor

Tutor Package: 18
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Counterbalance
    3 Thopter Foundry
    1 Sword of the Meek
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Humility
    1 Moat

SB:
    3 Vendilion Clique
    3 Spell Pierce
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    1 Cursed Totem
    2 Noxious Revival
    1 EE

A little backround on my choices before I start spewing nonsense about my matches: I can't tutor for Wrath so instead I ran 3 Bridge effects. I really wanted Pithing Needle main, and I wanted to draw into the combo so I decided to cut 2 Counterspells to add the Needle and an extra Thopter Foundry. The sideboard as you will see is something I struggled to use correctly all day. Noxious Revival is something the Thopter guys wanted more testing on so I decided to make room and find out the hard way! Anyways, ONWARD....

Legacy Challenge

Challenge Round 1 - U/R Burn
    Game 1 - I'm on the draw and he leads with Misty fetching Volc into Delver, which turned out to be his favorite play every game. Pretty sure he's not playing waste so I play a Tundra and pass, Swords-ing his Insectile Aberration at the end of his upkeep. He plays a second Delver and passes. I brainstorm with my Tundra finding StP #2 and fetch some garbage away. I nail the Insectile Aberration again, where he reveals Bolt. I cannot for the life of me find the Counterbalance Lock, and sit with a dead Pithing Needle and Jace in my hand. After several Bolts and Chain Lightings I just die.

+3 Spell Pierce
    +1 Elspeth (Don't ask why I thought it was a good idea)
    +1 EE
    -4 FoW
    -1 Pithing Needle

Game 2 - I'm on the play here and open my hand with Top with CB and am itching for revenge. Turn 1 Island Top. His response is Misty fetching Volc into Delver. I upkeep Top seeing an StP and land a Tundra. I nail an Insectile Aberration end of upkeep, he plays a Barbarian Ring and passes. With Top up I play Counterbalance, he doesn't have the counter and responds with landing a Bolt to my face. After 5 or 6 turns of CB'd spells I land Jace and he scoops them up.

Game 3 - I'm on the draw again with only a CB and 1 Swords this time, He goes Misty fetching Volc into Delver and passes. I play a Tundra and pass, nailing another Insectile Aberration end of upkeep. He plays a scalding tarn and lands a goblin guides letting me reveal and draw a Plains. The pressure is on and I slam a blind CB which meets his fetch for a Volc and REB after which I pass. I top decks another Goblin Guide and I start taking 4 a turn. I don't have time to land moat or the CB lock and die to Double Goblin Guide.

0-1-0
    Challenge Round 2 - Eureka Show (Who also had the most epic El Insecto Beard I have ever seen)

Game 1 - I keep a land heavy hand with Jace and top on the draw. He plays a turn 2 Ancient Tomb into Show and Tell. He Flips Emrakul while I flip nothing. Top on upkeep sees Swords which certainly doesn't get there. I put him on Hive Mind as that's what I have experience against locally.

-3 Spell Snare
    -1 Pithing Needle
    +3 Spell Pierce
    +1 Ensnaring Bridge

Game 2 - A bit slower game with me on the play, we each lay some lands, he plays some cantrips. I Force a Show and Tell. Without any Soul Lands he simply fetches until he hits 4 and casts Eureka (Mind was blown). He puts Blightsteel into play, I decline, he puts Emrakul into play, I nail an Ensnaring bridge and that's all she wrote about that Eureka. I land a Jace and force him to keep cards on top which he fetches away until he can't anymore, he does not concede and instead waits until he draws out.

Game 3 - He opens with Misty go and I follow with Island Top go. Here I've got Jace and Moat in hand. He Ponders going Ancient Tomb into Show and Tell. He flips Progenitus I flip Moat and he stops to read it. I top on upkeep finding an Enlightened Tutor, if at any point he goes Eureka or S&T for Emrakul I can E Tutor in response and Top to put Humility into play, and in the event of him breaking the lock I can survive 1 swing from the Hydra and find bridge or Humility. Knowing I've got the game pretty locked up I play carefully landing Jace and Ulting him out of the game.

1-1-0
    Challenge Round 3 - Reanimator

Game 1 - I'm on the draw with a few lands StP and Jace. He opens with Marshflats into a swamp, leaving me a bit confused. I go Flooded Strand and pass where he ends my confusion with end of turn Entomb for Iona... On his turn he plays an Island and Reanimates Iona naming white. With StP now dead I go land pass. After 2 turns of beats from Iona I slam Jace on turn 4 and bounce Iona. After this attempts to dig but with Jace controlling his topdecks we get there.

-1 StP
    -1 Pithing Needle
    -2 Spell Snare
    -4 Counterbalance
    +3 Spell Pierce
    +3 Clique
    +1 Tormod's Crypt
    +1 Grafdigger's Cage

Game 2 - On the draw a second time I mulligan a hand with no business into 1 with StP and Jace. He again goes Marshflats for Underground Sea and Careful Studies Jin and Angel of Despair into the yard. I go Tundra and pass. He Turn 2 reanimates Jin onto the field but I nail it with Swords. He careful studies again looking for business and passes. I Spell Pierce an Exhume and land a Turn 4 Humility. After using a Top to filter for a Jace he eventually just scoops.

2-1-0
    Challenge Round 4 - TES

Game 1 - On the draw here and my inexperience shows, his turn 1 Gemstone Mine without a play leaves me super confused. I kept lands Top, Counterbalance Brainstorm. I go turn 1 Top and he doesn't Poker face well looking a little strained. When he follows it up with a second Gemstone Mine into Brainstorm I haven't a clue what is going on. I top on upkeep and see an StP which I draw. I play a fetch and pass. He fetches for Underground Sea, Ponders and passes. I play Counterbalance leaving my Fetch up a little less confused here. On his 4th turn he goes Chrome Mox - Imprint trigger on the stack then Ad Nauseam on the stack (sick play BTW). I respond with Fetch brainstorm and I get 1 choice for what to put on top and my options are 0, 1, or 2. I think a great deal and leave 2 for BW... He resolves Ad Naus seeing 3 BWs 2 Lotus petals 1 LED 2 Dark Rituals and 1 Cabal Ritual and some Cantrips. He Imprints Brainstorm onto Chrome Mox, then with a great deal of caution:
    "Lotus Petal?"
    "It's good."
    "LED?"
    "It's good."
    "Lotus Petal??"
    "It's good."
    "Tap Chrome Mox, Ponder????"
    "It's good."
    He looks at the top, rearranges and draws, I now realize I don't actually have the game like I thought I did... He plays completely around CB on 2 at this point having found Tendrils with Ponder and wins. As Mark Sun who was sitting next to me said after the round "This is how we learn."

-1 Moat
    -1 Humility
    -1 Ensnaring Bridge
    -1 Oblivion Ring
    -1 Pithing Needle
    -4 StP
    +3 Spell Pierce
    +3 Clique
    +1 Ethersworn Canonist
    +2 Noxious Revival

Game 2 - Open with Top, Counterbalance, Force, Thopter Foundry and keep on the play. I go Island Top, and he goes Fetch. I choose not to top on upkeep and slam counterbalance. He Ponders flipping a land and passes. I top on upkeep seeing Clique. He draws and brainstorms. Next turn I Clique him on his draw step seeing Gold land, Gold land, Burning Wish, Infernal Tutor, Dark Ritual, Duress, Chain of Vapor which I promptly relieve him of. He chooses not to go for the Duress and passes. I top on upkeep and seeing Ethersworn Canonist which I draw and play. He Brainstorms and passes. I beat with Clique while he searches for an answer. Eventually he goes Shattering Spree Copied once targeting Ethersworn Canonist and Top, I Tap Top in response (No 1's on top) countering 1 SS and Forcing the Copy, he tries to play something else in response but I point out Ethersworn is still in play and he concedes.

Game 3 - On the draw I keep Fetchland, Noxious Revival, Counterbalance, thinking I'm super cool and my opponent will be blown away by my super-terrific tricks. He keeps and goes Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, LED, Burning Wish, Empty the Warrens, 14 Goblins go. I just wish I had sided EE...

2-2-0 Win a single Pack, go me!

Legacy Open

Round 1 - U/W/r Stoneblade (By a guy named Terrel)
    Game 1 - I'm on the play with a fetch for an Island, he plays Flooded Strand go (This was the start on a long line of U/W Games). I Fetch a second Island and go for Counterbalance he fires back with Spell Snare and I try for Force removing Thopter Foundry, he lets it go. He drops turn 2 Stoneforge finding Batterskull and I reveal a Top :-D. I play Top and pass, he says go. Top finds me an Ensnaring Bridge end of turn. I play it out and he speeds in Batterskull in response. With 1 spell snare stuck in hand he beats me with SFM for a few more turns playing out a Giest and another SFM. I land a Jace with a bunch of lands out and pass. He attempts to Repeal Ensnaring Bridge but I pull it out countering the Repeal with a Jace I find with Top. He scoops for time.

-1 Counterbalance
    -1 Thopter Foundry
    +1 Elspeth
    +1 Ensnaring Bridge

Game 2 - I am on the draw and keep a land heavy hand with Jace and Spell Snare. I manage to Spell Snare the first SFM but he lands a Snapcaster with which he brainstorms. He beats for several turns while I try to setup a CB lock because I have no Bridge/Moat effects. A finds and plays a Jitte and equips to Snapcaster. The clock is too much for my Bridgeless self and I lose.

Game 3 - The game started slow but I landed a turn 3 Ensnaring Bridge which he eliminated with O-ring, but I followed up with a turn 4 Moat to lock up his creatures. He fought back with Jace and I had to use my own Jace to planeswalker rule his away. Unfortunately (Dun dun DUN!!) he had a second Jace which warranted my own O-ring which I had hoped would save my Bridge... I landed an Elspeth but it was too little too late and we drew.

0-0-1
    Round 2 - U/W/g Stoneblade (Faeries Build)

We laughed about the draw bracket as we shuffled up, people laughing about drawing to Enchantress and Thopters, a gentleman near us spun a whimsical tale of a Japanese-Foil-Lands Player (as if, real Lands players haven't been seen in the wild for years.) We assured him it was likely just an enchantress player and the 1 mana green enchantments were just hard to recognize in Foil-Japanese....

Game 1 - He leads with a Scalding Tarn, I follow with an Island preparing to go T2 Brainstorm fetch. He plays a Tundra and passes, I laugh about how I'm probably going to be doing this matchup all day... I attempt to brainstorm but he flashes in Spellstutter and I bin Brainstorm. He beats for 1 plays a land and passes and he flashes a second Spellstutter. I play a land and Top and pass. He plays SFM for Jitte which I promptly Swords after which he plays the Jitte anyway, he beats for 2. I top for an answer and find Pithing Needle and hold it. He equips the Jitte and beats putting counters on the Jitte. I continue to look for answers and find an Ensnaring Bridge. He play it to which he attempts to Force, and I Force back leaving me with the Needle in hand, I play Needle on Jace and pass. With few outs he simply plays out his creatures and builds up the win on board, he attempts to shrink his Sprite to 0/0 with Jitte so he can attack under the Bridge but instead realizes his failure and just puts the Sprite in the yard. With a very fragile lock I use top to find lands to play each turn and attempt to not die, careful fetching moves the spell snares and forces off the top of my library. He lands Elspeth and makes himself some more board position solidifying my loss if Ensnaring Bridge were to break. He digs and can't seem to find his out, he implies he has only 1 out and that it's EE, the conversation went something like this -
    "How much time do we have left? I might have to concede for time..."
    "19 minutes"
    "I just have to find my 1 out..."
    "I know the feeling man, I just need to find an enlightened tutor :-)"
    He concedes with 18 minutes and 30 seconds on the clock and asked me what I would have done, I explained that because our games seem to take at least 18 minutes conceding meant the best he could do is draw the match, while if he stuck the last game out he could have gotten the win. He shrugged, smiled, and said "I guess I'll just have to win quickly"

-1 Counterbalance
    -1 Thopter Foundry
    +1 Ensnaring Bridge
    +1 Elspeth

Game 2 - I was on the draw again (Pretty much all day in fact), took a few Sprite beats and managed to land 2 Ensnaring Bridges which eventually took us to time.

1-0-1
    Round 3 - U/W Stoneblade

Game 1 - The first 5 turns were Land, land, land, land, land, land, after which he finally where he joked I'd be hardcasting Force of Will. He finally went for Jace which we fought over but I had the double force. Geist of Saint Traft and SFM finding Jitte beat very very hard until I was at 2. But I managed to find Moat, which let me find Bridge which let me find Humility (Moat > Geist, BTW). While searching for the other lock pieces I attempted to land the Counterbalance by running Thopter combo into his spell snares and it worked perfectly afterwards I managed to use Enlightened Tutor to nail his Jace with Counterbalance grabbing Humility. With the board on super lock-down I eventually landed my own Jace and finished our long game with 9 minutes on the clock.

I decided to take out the Thopter combo because of all his Spell Snares and see what happened.
    -3 Thopter Foundry
    -1 Sword of the Meek
    +1 Elspeth
    +1 Ensnaring Bridge
    +2 Noxious Revival

Game 2 - I mulligan to 6 and accidentally draw 7, so I auto-mull to 5, on my notes I have scribbled "Went to 5 (You are bad)". He leads with a Mishra's Factory. I go Flooded Strand go. He lands a second land and beats for 2. I land an Island and try to play Counterbalance but it get's spell snared. He plays a land and beats for 2, end of turn I go Noxious Revival thinking I've got it. But this 1 get's Spell Snared again in turn time walking me. After he beats I go end of turn Enlightened Tutor for Ensnaring Bridge. I play Academy Ruins and play Bridge which he Spell Pierces but I have the Force and wittle my own hand down to 2. He goes SFM and for Jitte and beats 1 more time. I play Top and as Time is called he extends the hand.

2-0-1
    Round 4 - RUG Tempo w/ Stifle (Certainly the nicest guy all day)

Game 1 - I'm on the play and say Flooded Strand fetch for Island "Top?" he responds with a Force removing Stifle telling me immediately that he was RUG, I force back removing Jace. He follows with Misty fetching Volc into Delver. With the Force and Stifle out of the way I still had to play around Daze so I played a land and passed. He doesn't flip delver, beats for 1 and passes. I go for it fetching for another Island and slamming down Counterbalance and it resolved. He played a second Delver to which I revealed Brainstorm. Next turn I find 1 drops with my upkeep Top and set my library to leave Brainstorm on top. He flips Delver and beats for 3 and then checks the water with Bolt, I reveal Brainstorm and he passes. Enlightened Tutor end of turn gets me an Ensnaring bridge. I land the Bridge with 1 card left over and passed. He looked at the board and at his hand of only 1-2 cards left and concedes for time.

-3 Spell Snares
    +1 EE
    +1 Ensnaring Bridge
    +1 Noxious Revival

Game 2 - I was on the draw with an StP, Counterbalance and Jace in hand, he goes Misty go. I play Flooded Strand and say go (In retrospect I should have guessed he sided out Stifles). He double fetches to play 2 Delvers and passes. I brainstorm finding Top and Fetch away garbage. On his upkeep he flips both Delvers and I Swords 1. He Ponders and beats for 3. I play a land and go for Top which he nails with Force removing Brainstorm, so I only land Counterbalance. On his turn he draws and goes for REB on CB, I raw-dog it revealing a 2nd Top. He sighs, smiling and says "It happens." I play it next turn and proceed to swords the second Delver and lock the game up.

3-0-1
    Round 5 *Feature Match* - Bobbie "Lands Guy"

Surprisingly being my first ever feature match didn't really phase me, I was considerably more baffled by my opponent than anything else.

Game 1 - I was on the play with both Thopter combo pieces and a CB. I went land go. He lead with Mox Diamond discarding a cycle land to play Exploration (Japanese), he asked if I knew what it did and I said yes, looked at my Force-less hand, and said "Resolves." After which he went Rishadan Port, Land go. He tapped my Tundra on upkeep and I was forced to fetch for an Island and say go. He Wasted my tundra and went for Life from the Loam which I met with Spell Snare. He tapped my Island but I managed to find some more land and assemble the combo. He answered my Counterbalance, Thopter Foundry, and SotM by transmuting Tolaria West for an EE, which, while it makes sense now, blew my mind at the time. After dealing with the token makers he Transmuted again for Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale to kill my tokens. What followed after that was another 25 minutes of me not doing much and him dredging Life from the Loam. Once Crucible was online he proceeded to resolve his Ghost Quarters individually for the most time-value. I had no idea when I was beat so I kept playing, and by the time I realized I had to concede I had 10 minutes left.

-4 StP
    +1 Tormod's Crypt
    +2 Noxious Revival
    +1 Elspeth

Game 2 - On the play I had a slightly better Idea of what I had to do, I nailed his Exploration with a Force, and hit a Chalice on 1 with Spell Snare, to which he asked "You kept those in??" On Turn 4 I played a Tundra to go with my Basics and landed Jace, and for the first time that day actually had to Brainstorm with him. I need an O-ring to hit his Crucible or he would slowly Ghost Quarter me out. I didn't find it however and instead found Force for his second crucible. He found Oblivion Stone and passed and after a fetch I found my O-ring which had to hit his O-stone, he was actually surprised at the O-ring thinking it was a different 3 CMC enchantment (Hint: Starts with "B" and ends in "ack to Basics"). But he eventually Transmuted for EE again nailed my O-ring. Time was called and I immediately extended the hand.

He told me the obvious afterwards, I let game 1 go too long, like the guy in round 2 had done against me.

3-1-1
    Round 6 - U/W Stoneblade

Game 1 - A very slow start with nothing happening other than a Top from me and various U/W lands and a Moorland haunt from him. When we hit 4 lands he went for the Jace which I planeswalker ruled with mine. Then on his next turn he landed a second Jace which warranted my Pithing needle naming Jace. After all this he Landed a Geist of Saint Traft to which I couldn't find any lock pieces, and Geist is a very short clock.

-1 Counterbalance
    -1 Thopter Foundry
    +1 Ensnaring Bridge
    +1 Elspeth

Game 2 - On the play I mulligan to 6 and keep with Jace, Force, Thopter Foundry, and Spell Snare. I nail his Turn 2 SFM with Spell Snare, and his first Geist with Force, but the 2nd Geist lands and beats me senseless over only 3 turns.

3-2-1
    With this round over quickly I opted to drop and go to dinner with my dredge buddy rather than possibly get close to top 32. Another guy from our shop was on fire and headed for Top 8 anyway, so we figured have an amazing dinner, then watch him lose to Prosak playing Dredge ^.^

Things that got there:
    Moat - It wins the Stoneblade matchup all by itself. Even if Insectile Aberration flies over it that's what my StPs were there for.

Pithing Needle - Was a house whenever I played it, I'm super glad I made room in the main deck for a 1 of.

4 Top 4 Counterbalance - Even with the more spread out CMCs these days it was still awesome to be able to land these game 1 against matchups like RUG and Delver Burn before they have a chance to do anything like REB. I mean, if Spell Snare is so good, so is Counterbalance.

3 Enlightened Tutors - It felt like the perfect number all day, not too many, but they're there when I need to find something.

Running so many Basics - Playing more than 2 colors means less basics and after playing against all the wastelands, I just could not justify running more duals.

Stuff that didn't really get there:

Grafdigger's Cage - I don't have tons of room in the sideboard, and having Relic instead would have been better in random matchups like Lands instead of just shutting off GSZ and Dredge.

Cursed Totem - I just never had a need to side it. I never faced Bant, Maverick, or Metalwork.dec where the card would be relevant. Had I played 3 consecutive rounds against Maverick instead of Stoneblade I might feel differently.

Not knowing when to side out Forces - How much do I need to resolve the silver bullets I play? I couldn't make up my mind all day.

Noxious Revival - The one time I thought it would get there for me, it ended up time-walking me. Maybe I just don't know what to do with it.

Clique - I just didn't know when it should be coming in and the times I did I felt like I was already winning.

Stuff I wish I had:
    More things to sideboard against Dudes.dec - I had this whole anti-combo package with Cliques, Spell Pierces, and Ethersworn Canonist but then Stoneblade just plays Dudes and Planeswalkers and I just wanted more Anti-dude stuff.

Back to Basics - Lands Players are real, they exist in the wild and are very dangerous, you need to be prepared.
    Last edited by Dalapin; 02-15-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Re: 2nd Ever Legacy Event - SCG Cincinnati

Excellent report, I love it! I think Revival is interesting to test still, but slots are oh so tight.

I don't really think you want Relic over Cage, since you nuke your own graveyard. I think Cage is fine, since it's a T1 play/T2 after tutor. Plus, they can't flashback Grudge on it.

Do you feel like you wanted more maindeck counters? As in, would you have preferred 2 Counterspell/Mana Leak?

Other than that, nice job! Sucks when you hit the random Lands/Enchantress player :(

-Matt

Solid report, I saw you playing exceptionally all through the day.

Quote Originally Posted by juppal View Post
    Solid report, I saw you playing exceptionally all through the day.
    Except for those Brainstorms eh? :-) And not boarding out Force like every match.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Nice report and congrats on your feature match! I remember sitting across from the same guy with the El Insecto Beard round 1 of the legacy challenge. Luckily, I never allowed him to get to four mana to play the Eureka and I hear a Terravore races against a Progenitus pretty well off of the Show and Tell.

A question I had for you was how was the single cursed totem. I have been trying to evaluate that card and I can't decide if it's worth having in the 75.

Oct 2010
    Athens, Ohio

Nice report. I'm the Round 4 RUG player, you played pretty tight, hope we get to play again sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    Nice report and congrats on your feature match! I remember sitting across from the same guy with the El Insecto Beard round 1 of the legacy challenge. Luckily, I never allowed him to get to four mana to play the Eureka and I hear a Terravore races against a Progenitus pretty well off of the Show and Tell.

A question I had for you was how was the single cursed totem. I have been trying to evaluate that card and I can't decide if it's worth having in the 75.
    The problem is it's only relevant against Maverick, which it's supposedly insane against. But as you can see I never sided it in because it never hit anything more than Pithing Needle could.

The sideboard spots are already tight, so I dunno if I can justify running it over an extra Pithing Needle, let alone another card.

Quote Originally Posted by Arew View Post
    Nice report. I'm the Round 4 RUG player, you played pretty tight, hope we get to play again sometime.
    Hey thanks! After all the Stoneblade nonsense that RUG match-up was stellar :-)

Apr 2011
    Århus, Denmark

Cursed Totem also locks out Combo Elves, although to be fair, that isn't the most common matchup either.

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Excellent report, I love it! I think Revival is interesting to test still, but slots are oh so tight.

I don't really think you want Relic over Cage, since you nuke your own graveyard. I think Cage is fine, since it's a T1 play/T2 after tutor. Plus, they can't flashback Grudge on it.

Do you feel like you wanted more maindeck counters? As in, would you have preferred 2 Counterspell/Mana Leak?

Other than that, nice job! Sucks when you hit the random Lands/Enchantress player :(

-Matt
    To finally get to your questions Matt:

I actually agree with the Relic assessment upon further thought. But you have to remember when you run less than 3 colors, EE + Academy runes is a lot less important, very rarely do I care about blowing up my graveyard.

I'm certainly not cutting Revival yet, but I can't sideboard to save my life so, I'll wait for someone else to figure out what I'm suppose to do with it.

Having hard counters main would have been nice in some matches (Combo, Stoneblade, anything with Planeswalkers) but awful for others (RUG, Maverick, Tribal?) and to be honest I would have personally liked playing 2 Counterspell (The non-pimp ones with Jace on them) but in most cases it really simplified my lines of play and kept me focused on resolving Counterbalance. Instead of holding 2 mana open for something else my opponent can Spell Snare I just tapped out for useful stuff like Thopters and Counterbalance which would eat Snares and Forces on turn 2 and let me slam Bridge effects turns 3 and 4.

Unfortunately Spell Snare is too good right now or I would cut all 3 for 2 Counterspell and some other good card. Though SS is really good with Top (T1 Top into Top on upkeep to smooth draw while holding SS up, into T3 Counterbalance with SS/Top up.)

And it does suck to get the Random, but nice, Lands guy... but that's what's awesome about this deck, with the Tutor package it has a solid chance against anythng :-) Assuming you know something about the match-up....

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Against lands:
    why not just resolve jace and protect it while ramping it to ultimate? Seems like you wasted your counters on irrelevant stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    Against lands:
    why not just resolve jace and protect it while ramping it to ultimate? Seems like you wasted your counters on irrelevant stuff.
    Second game I attempted to do that, but I was scared of exploration more than his later plays which was probably incorrect.

Maybe I should just side Ankh of Mishra against Lands.....

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Entertaining report. I'm your Legacy Challenge buddy

I know Bobby and he's been playing/tweaking/mastering that deck for a long time. I'm sad you didn't have your own Crucible! Humility and Moat are pretty dead in that matchup, I would have looked into boarding in at least some Vendilion Cliques (steals Loam inside their draw step).
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid- View Post
    Entertaining report. I'm your Legacy Challenge buddy

I know Bobby and he's been playing/tweaking/mastering that deck for a long time. I'm sad you didn't have your own Crucible! Humility and Moat are pretty dead in that matchup, I would have looked into boarding in at least some Vendilion Cliques (steals Loam inside their draw step).
    Thanks Mark! I had no experience with the Lands match-up and with this deck I can't really afford to not know what's going on :-)

Humility felt really dead, and the Cliques are certainly great there I'll be sure to have a better idea what's going on next time ^.^

And Back to Basics is hitting the side-board for sure.

Nov 2011
    San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowPenguin View Post
    Cursed Totem also locks out Combo Elves, although to be fair, that isn't the most common matchup either.
    So does keeping a one drop on top

Humility is just better than totem, I don't think it needs to be run.

@Dalapin Nice write up, thanks! Better luck next time.

I am totally in agreement with you Teknique, and thanks for the support! I'll just keep playing, and with more experience I'll win more games :-D

by the teeth of my skin
    Oct 2011

I was the OTHER Lands player you ended up sitting next to in the 3-1-1 bracket after your feature match. Great report, and the only thing I'd recommend is not boarding out all of your STPs against Lands because a majority of builds bring in men (Dark Confidant/KOTR usually) post-board as alternate card advantage engines since we're often facing a lot of grave hate and since they can surprise opponents who board out all their removal.

And the "protect Jace, win" plan works more than you'd think. He gives us a bit of a problem :P

Feb 2010
    Fürth, Germany

Nice to read, although it's your 2nd legacy tourney:

Quote Originally Posted by Dalapin View Post
    Challenge Round 2 - Eureka Show (Who also had the most epic El Insecto Beard I have ever seen)
    Game 1 - I keep a land heavy hand with Jace and top on the draw. He plays a turn 2 Ancient Tomb into Show and Tell. He Flips Emrakul while I flip nothing. Top on upkeep sees Swords which certainly doesn't get there. I put him on Hive Mind as that's what I have experience against locally.
    Why didn't you show and tell Jace in and just bounced the Emrakul?

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by daPaule View Post

Because one cannot put planeswalkers into play from Show and Tell.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by daPaule View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Because one cannot put planeswalkers into play from Show and Tell.
    What this man says is true, that's why S&T doesn't play Planeswalkers of it's own and why Eureka decks can play a 1-of Nicol Bolas Planeswalker.

Feb 2010
    Fürth, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Dalapin View Post
    What this man says is true, that's why S&T doesn't play Planeswalkers of it's own and why Eureka decks can play a 1-of Nicol Bolas Planeswalker.
    So same problem that deed has with Planeswalkers.. rtfc.. sorry then ;)

Thread Information