Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [EDH] Oona, Queen of the Fae

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Re: [EDH] Oona, Queen of the Fae

Quote Originally Posted by Jivanmukta View Post
    Staff of Domination is unbanned. Does it have a spot as an extra Stroke of Genius when we combo off? Or maybe for utility?

Edit: I also realized it could replace Beseech the Queen as it does the same thing without hitting for 6 off AN.
    Yeah, I think Staff of Domination has a place in this deck. I've made some other changes too.

- Worn Powerstone
    - Necropotence
    - Consecrated Sphinx
    - Capsize
    - Oblivion Stone
    - Mycosynth Lattice

+ Staff of Domination
    + Everflowing Chalice
    + Phyrexian Revoker
    + Spellskite
    + Dream Halls
    + Enter the Infinite

Everflowing Chalice seems like an upgrade to Worn Powerstone and reduces CMC for Ad Nauseam. Necropotence isn't worth it when every other deck in the same tier in my playgroup is running Pithing Needle and Phyrexian Revoker. Consecrated Sphinx was expensive, unwieldy, and was usually stolen or killed after drawing me two cards. The deck has better bounce options than Capsize, especially Cyclonic Rift. I never really found myself needing a reset button or winning afterwards making Oblivion Stone an easy cut. Staff of Domination is pretty much a straight upgrade to Mycosynth Lattice although I'll miss the synergy with Hurkyl's Recall.

Since I only play this deck against Arcum Dagsson and other fast combo decks, Phyrexian Revoker and Spellskite make their way back in. I've also added Dream Halls and Enter the Infinite to give the deck some resiliency in the form of an additional kill combo.

Updated first post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Steve Carpenter's my friend.
    Feb 2009
    Poughkeepsie, Ny.

I've been playing Oona for a couple years now and have never really been happy with a ton of tutors, how have you liked the ALL tutor plan? I run all of them but Tainted Pact, Praetor's Grasp, Shred Memory, Dimir Infiltrator, Mystical Teachings, Increasing Ambition, Diabolic Revelation.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Quote Originally Posted by jimirynk View Post
    I've been playing Oona for a couple years now and have never really been happy with a ton of tutors, how have you liked the ALL tutor plan? I run all of them but Tainted Pact, Praetor's Grasp, Shred Memory, Dimir Infiltrator, Mystical Teachings, Increasing Ambition, Diabolic Revelation.
    I'm not the biggest fan of the sorcery speed tutors that show your opponents what you got, as you usually have to use them the turn you're trying to win to avoid suspicion. I'm not 100% sold on Mystical Teachings either, but it is instant speed, finds Ad Nauseam and if you flash it back it's card advantage. Diabolic Revelation is likely more mana than it's worth in this deck, but I'm not ready to cut a card that can tutor for an entire combo and the means to protect it.

Tainted Pact, Praetor's Grasp, and Increasing Ambition are the nuts.
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Yay Staff of Dominiation is unbanned. Looks like someone beat me to it though I agree with Kuma on
    +1 Staff of Domination
    -1 Mycosynth Latice

Considering Notion Thief but I think it costs 1 too much and the ability for Consecrated Sphinx to just mill you out has me saying nay.

@Jivanmukta
    I tried out Memory Plunder awhile ago. Memory Plunder is a mixed bag. Its high variance because it is dependent on what is in your opponents deck. The best cards to target can be in your opponents hand or cast already. The high colored requirement means that your not casting it till turn 3 or 4 and not likely able to protect it. I found it would cast it end of turn 4 or 5 and run into a counter most of the time. I did grab someone's Bribery once but the decks so tight now there really isn't any room for it.

Knowledge Exploitation is just too expensive. I can't remember the last time I was swinging with Faerie Rogues.

Staff of Domination is totally worth running. Dunno if I would cut Beseech the Queen for it though. Kuma's cut of Mycosynth Lattice is likely what I will do.

I like having lots of tutors. Deck is basically a pile of mana, combos and tutors with some protection thrown in.

@Kuma
    Have to figure out a cut for Lim-Dul's Vault. I cut it at some point.

I find a lot of card choices really depend on your local play group or what you expect to face.

Mindtwist actually is pretty good with all the fast mana you can Mindtwist the player that looks the most dangerous often taking them out of the game. This can leave you vulnerable as you have to tap out to do so usually. Not a fan of 1 for 1 discard in multiplayer though.

I found Consecrated Sphinx to be game winning if unanswered. I think its totally worth the risk. It is annoying if someone steals it though.

I like having the Oblivion Stone reset button available in case you play vs Sharum's many artifacts or my friends annoying enchantress + enchantments combo deck featuring Solitary Confinement and Leyline with Privileged Position + Sterling Grove enchantments. Having the reset button available is worth the slot in my opinion.

I'm not sure about Dream Halls as it can backfire since your opponents can use it too.

I like Mystical Teachings because it does find Ad Nauseam or a counter at instant speed. If you need that Force of Will to counter someone's game winning spell it finds it. Casting it twice is just icing on the cake. It is annoying when it gets Mana Drained though.

I found you have to burn fast mana like rituals or tap pay to untap mana rocks to cast Diabolic Revelation the few times I cast it but the ability to get the game winning combo with one card is good. It does sting if it gets Mana Drained.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    I like having the Oblivion Stone reset button available in case you play vs Sharum's many artifacts or my friends annoying enchantress + enchantments combo deck featuring Solitary Confinement and Leyline with Privileged Position + Sterling Grove enchantments. Having the reset button available is worth the slot in my opinion.
    There are situations where I'd want the reset button. The problem is I never won after resetting the board because it was too much of a blowout on my end too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    I'm not sure about Dream Halls as it can backfire since your opponents can use it too.
    I'd never cast Dream Halls unless I was immediately following it with an Ad Nauseam or Enter the Infinite. That way your opponents don't get to use it.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

- Tainted Isle
    - Pithing Needle
    - Phyrexian Revoker
    - Phantasmal Image
    - Everflowing Chalice

+ Cephalid Coliseum
    + Shizo, Death's Storehouse
    + Gemstone Mine
    + Fellwar Stone
    + Temporal Mastery

Tainted Isle didn't consistently provide colored mana, which was a huge problem. The deck needs more lands in general, so I've gone back up to 35 by adding Cephalid Coliseum, Shizo, Death's Storehouse and Gemstone Mine. Pithing Needle and Phyrexian Revoker weren't necessary to beat Arcum Dagsson and so they're easy cuts. The main reason the deck was running Phantasmal Image was to kill Arcum Dagsson, which no longer works under the new legend rule. Everflowing Chalice was almost always cast for two mana, which makes Fellwar Stone more appealing. Temporal Mastery belongs in every blue EDH deck, and even though the CMC is high, being able to take an extra turn when you need to is crucial.

Updated first post.

Dementia Warden
    Nov 2012

So the two cards in Theros I think we can find use for are Curse of the Swine and Swan Song.

Song in particular seems incredible. Curse may just be too cute.
    "The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Jivanmukta View Post
    So the two cards in Theros I think we can find use for are Curse of the Swine and Swan Song.

Song in particular seems incredible. Curse may just be too cute.
    Swan Song is probably going to find its way in here. Curse of the Swine I'm pretty sure is too cute. We'd be better off with Damnation if we wanted that effect.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    Swan Song is probably going to find its way in here. Curse of the Swine I'm pretty sure is too cute. We'd be better off with Damnation if we wanted that effect.
    The thing about Curse of the Swine though is that it's exiling all kinds of indestructibles or denying recursion and saying, "here, have a pig instead." So maybe it is a meta call, but man oh man lately there has been so bloody much graveyard tricks every time I go out to play cards that it's like Bojuka Bog was never even printed. Or people just don't even care about Relic of Progenitus or Nihil Spellbomb anymore and they just do what they want. I dunno, it's crazy.

But yeah, I think Curse of the Swine is going to show up a lot, even in decks where you wonder why they didn't just cast Wrath or Hallowed Burial or something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

- Mystical Teachings

+ Diabolic Tutor

Same mana, but one searches for everything. I don't think I ever flashed back a Mystical Teachings anyway.

Updated first post.

Thread Information