Thread: Legacy Aetherworks Marvel

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Legacy Aetherworks Marvel

So, I went and did something stupid last night and brainstormed (no pun intended) a Marvel deck. I threw 60 cards together (below) and jumped into a few games. I ended up going 2-0 against Deadguy Ale and Miracles (without a sideboard), so I thought: Either I just got extremely lucky, or there may be some merit to this. I started researching Marvel decks in Legacy, and was actually surprised at how little I found. Has nobody tried to make this work?

(EXTREMELY) Preliminary Decklist:

4 Aether Hub
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Taiga
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Forest
    2 Mountain
    2 Island
    4 Attune with Aether
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Harnessed Lightning
    4 Whirler Virtuoso
    4 Rogue Refiner
    4 Glimmer of Genius
    4 Aetherworks Marvel
    4 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
    4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Other possible inclusions:

Deathrite Shaman/Noble Hierarch/Birds of Paradise: Ramp into turn 3 Marvel
    Sol lands: Ramp into earlier Marvel; helps hard cast fatties
    Fetch lands: Add more since they trigger an active Marvel

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Jander78; 05-15-2017 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Added card tags

Re: Legacy Aetherworks Marvel

Marvel would definitely be competitive in Legacy if there were enough really good cards that generated Energy but were also just good on their own. Is Harnessed Lightning good enough on its own for Legacy? Is the 2/1 Servant of the Conduit good enough? You can't just run bad cards to enable Energy; they have to be good enough on their own regardless of whether or not you land a Marvel, imho.

You obviously should play a ton of fetchlands to further enable Marvel, too. Like I'd be playing 10+ fetchlands at the very least because each one being cracked adds an energy counter to the Marvel. At this point, it makes you wonder if you shouldn't just be playing Sneak and Show instead or if there is some advantage to playing Marvel to cheat your fatties out (the fact that you don't have to have both Marvel AND the fatty in hand because Marvel can search for your fatties?).

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Marvel would definitely be competitive in Legacy if there were enough really good cards that generated Energy but were also just good on their own. Is Harnessed Lightning good enough on its own for Legacy? Is the 2/1 Servant of the Conduit good enough? You can't just run bad cards to enable Energy; they have to be good enough on their own regardless of whether or not you land a Marvel, imho.

You obviously should play a ton of fetchlands to further enable Marvel, too. Like I'd be playing 10+ fetchlands at the very least because each one being cracked adds an energy counter to the Marvel. At this point, it makes you wonder if you shouldn't just be playing Sneak and Show instead or if there is some advantage to playing Marvel to cheat your fatties out (the fact that you don't have to have both Marvel AND the fatty in hand because Marvel can search for your fatties?).
    Definitely valid points. Servant is a 2/2, but your comment still stands. You'd actually be surprised at how good Whirler and Harnessed were. Harnessed kills everything Bolt can, and then some.

I'll definitely be adding more fetches. I just threw the deck together in two seconds. Also, the advantage of playing Marvel over Sneak and Show is that you get the cast triggers on your fatties.

In addition to this, you might want to consider the Chromatic items, as both fixing and energy generation under Marvel.

I'd also consider playing two Kozilek, Butcher of Truth and/or Jin-Gitaxias, to help refill your hand and as disruption.

I don't see quite well how you could have win...

The marvel is OK, but a pithing needle on it or even a wear // tear and it's gone for almost ever, finishing with 8 potential junk creature to draw...

If I was you:
    - definitely more fetches for brainstorm.
    - Attune with Aether and Harnessed Lightning and the hub land are the only one really usable energy producer, and even that it's not perfect.
    - The rest, I would start by playing Snapcaster to increase the value of "good energy producer" rather than relying on quite low quality one. Filtering with Ponder to remove junk before drawing them and so on.
    - A quicksilver amulet, or Belbe's Portal or Sneak Attack or nahiri, well a card that can cycle/use bad draw (big fatties) is something you want for a deck like this.
    - newlamog doesn't looks so great, compare to emrakul that can be cicle quite easily, newlamog is a junk card if you draw it in this deck. If you play one of the card above, I would choose the old ulamog instead due to annihilator.
    - You still get hit quite hard by Karakas in any of this possible way to go.
    - and you can't win on the spot if needed, you can only win by attacking.
    - you have no way to really protect yourself: you can't counter, and you don't filter the opponent's hand. It works with creature based deck as you are full of bolt, will not against any turn 2/3 combo...

I'm going back to the same path as MGB: it's the land of Sneak and Show, and Sneak & Show can achieve all of above in turn 2 if needed, without much build around it like this, has a way to be resilient to karakas, protect itself, and can dodge most of problem relatively easily.
    This deck can't in it's current build, and face the same hate as Sneak and Show (which means everyone has a way to deal with your deck somewhere in the 75).

Long story short: you get lucky without any doubt. But you can try to make it better, maybe there is path where everything will go together smoothly :)

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

It's very possible I just got super lucky in my limited testing. I know that this folds hard to fast combo, which is why I'd dedicate a lot of sideboard slots to disruption/counterspells.

I will definitely add more fetches and look into other fatties that end the game quickly.

Have you tested something like Ashnod's Altar along with recursive permanents like Bloodghast? Some way to recur permanents and pop marvel over and over.

bruizar

needs more greater gargadon !

Freedom is just as essential as air
    Jan 2013

I'm sure that you can cut all the Ulamogs because with all the filtering + Brainstorm in Legacy, it's pretty easy to just stack Emrakul to the Top of the deck. Also, I'd like to point out that the only reason Ulamog is being played in Aetherworks at all in Standard is because Emrakul, the Promised End was removed from that format. He's good, but honestly he's not Emrakul Good. I would say cut all the Ulamogs for four Force of Wills. Maybe keep one or so Ulamog in the sideboard. There's also Jace, the Mind Sculptor if you feel you need a fifth and possibly continuous Brainstorm.

EDIT: or you could Aetherworks into Omniscience.

I would also like to point out that since you're running basics and basic land tutors, your deck is prime to support Blood Moon.

I second the recommendation of Snapcasters, probably in place of the Glimmer of Geniuses because they're just the most expensive cards. Add two or three Snapcasters, and I guess a Jace is good fit. Also, if you really want to make sure that you hit Emrakul with Aetherworks, Worldly Tutor may be a something to keep in the back of your mind.

Finally, Ponder, Ponder, Ponder. You're essentially shelling a cheat deck (a la Show and Tell Family), and those have played Four Ponders + regularly creep into Preordain to smooth out their draws.

any trick to sneak into play an Omniscience different then Show and Tell, will never make sense. Furthermore, you can drop Griselbrand from SnT and win on the spot 50% of the time..

Can you Aetherworks Marvel into hypergenesis, ancestral visions, etc.?

Thread Information