Thread: Trepanation Mystic?

Feb 2012
    Minnesota

Trepanation Mystic?

How would trepanation blade fair in a stoneblade deck as a one of, as a target after the norms ( Jitte, BS,So....)? Ive done moderate playtesting and it has done well so far (especially on Geist of St. Traft).

Jul 2004
    Corning, NY

Re: Trepanation Mystic?

Its effect is tad underwhelming honestly. It depends on what you are matched up against, obviously you never play it against dredge or storm (as they might run Past In Flames), but I am not sure where you want this card. The effect mills them, but it might not mill near enough to be relevant, damage boost or mill effect. Unless you get it out stupid fast and swing with it against Belcher or something (not exactly likely), I don't see it being very solid outside of the swords themselves, Jitte, or Batterskull.

Feb 2012
    Minnesota

in play testing I usually end up milling about 4-7 cards. That 4-7 extra damage, being an answer (imo) to Goyf, KotR, and other biggies out there. In a several matches against combo elves/high tide/mirror it dominated heavily.

That being said I do see where you are comming from. Its a bit unwieldy and its not a for sure mill/buff (Sword of body and mind).

SteelinSumOfUrTechKThxBai
    Jan 2008

in play testing I usually end up milling about 4-7 cards.
    Uh, yeah...

The average landcount among legacy-decks is about 1/3, even the most mana-tight decks like RUG-Delver, Burn or Affinity run around 17 lands, the high end being 24-25 in the midrange/control decks. (I'm not taking stuff like 43-lands or Belcher into account, as these are very rare and special cases)

So on average you will be revealing ~3 cards for a measly +3/+0 at the cost of a sword.
    Even worse, your opponent gets to see how much you flip before he decides if he wants to block, whereas you have no such information and have to run blindly into any blockers.

Unless you can backup your bold claims with some data, I suggest you analyze your testing a bit less biased.
    These vast exaggerations remind me of the "Infiltarion Lense"-discussion that came up a while ago, where people would essentially state that "Lense draws two cards on every attack AND makes your Goyf unblockable!".

All in all, I'd MUCH rather have a sword of any kind instead of the Blade, especially since Pro:Green shuts down Goyf/Knight/Ooze nicely and reliably.
    "Blue-Eyes White Dragon is a fatty that Jamie Wakefield seems to have overlooked. It has a tremendous power and toughness of 3000/2500, making it bigger than current threats such as Tarmogoyf or Mountain."

I thoroughly enjoy using surgical extraction with effects like this.
    However, I would still run Sword of Body and Mind every day of the week over trepanation blade, even if an extraction on a key milled card is an edge case.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Thread Information