Thread: Legacy Shoal

Legacy Shoal

Hey I've seen blazing Shoal performing very well in modern and wanted to adapt the Deck and make it compeditive in Legacy, so here's my actual list:

Creatures:

4 Blighted Agent
    3 Progenitus
    1 Reaper King

Instants:

3 Blazing Shoal
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cunning Wish
    4 Disrupting Shoal
    4 Force of Will
    3 Pact of Negation
    2 Summoners Pact

Sorceries:

1 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain

Lands:

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    4 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Tolaria West

Sideboard:

4 Spellskite
    3 Surgical Extraction
    4 Stifle
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Blazing Shoal
    1 Searing Wind
    1 Pact of Negation

I play the blue Shoals go over Misdirection, because they counter Swords, Lightning Bolt, etc. even if the Opponent doesnt have a creature and Swords is the most relevant card to counter.

So, what do you think?
    I tested a bit with this Deck online and you get random protected T2 wins, easaly turn 4 protected and very often turn 4 doubleprotected Kills.

Obviously the deck has a lot of Problems, wich are counted up:

Dicard
    Wasteland
    Spot Removel
    Counter
    Jitte

Usually if the opponent has 2 of these cards you win, if he has 3, you loose. I just wonder if this might be good enaugh :S

I wish for construktive criticism, thx for reading :)

Re: Legacy Shoal

+ 4 Berserk
    + 4 Silhana Ledgewalker

as secondary WC

oh and obviously as every "all-in" deck you'll need

Dispel
    Flusterstorm
    Misdirection
    Snapcaster Mage (why not)

Berserk seems difficult witout any other Pump spell.
    I think before i get the shoal combo, silhana and a berserkt i'd rather win the usual way.

Dispel seems quite well, what would you like to cut?

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Here's the original thread.

I played the deck for a while to consistent top 8 finishes, but once RUG Delver and Maverick caught on, I had to put it down for a while. Too much to have to play through against those match-ups.

As far as Cunning Wish goes, Intuition really is miles better. I played with Wish at first, but eventually switched to Intuition. Having a real sideboard is better than the occasional flexibility Wish provides, since many times you're burning a wish to get a combo piece.

Also, Berserk belongs in a different deck.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Thx, sorry me for not finding.
    The last List looks quite good, maybe you can PM me about the relevance of crop rotation and the sideboardplans?

would be great :)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Agreed...Blazing Shoal IS this deck's Berserk.

Is 4 Blighted Agent and 4 Inkmoth Nexus enough? I would feel better having 4 more threats in the deck to combo with. Glistener Elf seems like a good candidate for getting 4 more must-answer threats in here.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

i went up against a similar deck at gp indy rnd 9 (i was playing punishing mav). He beat me last rnd in game3 to move on to 8-1 due to a lucky brainstorm into shoal + vines of vastwood (couldnt find ranger's guile apparently) to get around my active pridemage. I always had p_metamorph to answer his progenitus played game 2 and 3.

Although, I would call his deck Shoal and tell. (I saw that he used intutions, inkmoths and blighted agents, show and tell, progenitus, volcanic islands, underground seas, dismembers)

I played the deck to a 4-3 finish at GP Amsterdam and although it is a fine deck for your local tournament it doesn't work well enough at larger tournaments. Every top deck plays many cards (usually at least 10), which can completely blow you out. Flusterstorm is a must and is much better than disrupting shoal. If your combo already requires three cards and you have force as protection, how do you ever want to find enough cards for the combo, a force and a shoal? I would also highly recommend the black splash for thoughtseize. Intuition and show and tell are quite good as well.

I would dump out tolaria west as it is slow (intuition is much better). Summoner's pact is obviously bad then. I would also really recommend you play spellskite mainboard as pretty much every deck plays some form of creature removal, bounce, burn, artifact removal that can completely blow you out. Spellskite really helps with this.

I have been playing this deck to much greater success in vintage where the tutoring is better and the creature removal much less pervasive and I think this combo doesn't cut it in legacy (in the current metagame) as it has bad matchups against blade, threshold, burn, other tempo decks and doesn't really have any matchups it autowins.

Quote Originally Posted by DrHealex View Post
    i went up against a similar deck at gp indy rnd 9 (i was playing punishing mav). He beat me last rnd in game3 to move on to 8-1 due to a lucky brainstorm into shoal + vines of vastwood (couldnt find ranger's guile apparently) to get around my active pridemage. I always had p_metamorph to answer his progenitus played game 2 and 3.

Although, I would call his deck Shoal and tell. (I saw that he used intutions, inkmoths and blighted agents, show and tell, progenitus, volcanic islands, underground seas, dismembers)
    If his name was brandon large, I rode to the gp with him, he definitely ran 4 blighted agent, 4 chrome mox, 2 lotus petal, and some number of daze. 3 emrakul in sideboard, I think blasphemous act in board as well, mostly to pitch to blazing shoal. The entire deck was proxied in the car on the way there.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    The fairly obvious flaw in your reasoning is that Dark Ritual and Wild Cantor do produce mana. Pretending they don't won't change the function of the cards.

I did indeed Day 2 with this deck (8-1). The deck is basically a copy/past from what GerryT posted a few months back (HERE). I tweaked the deck a bit and came up with this:

2 Lotus Pedal

4 Blighted Agent
    4 Progenitus

4 Blazing Shoal
    3 Show and Tell
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Intuition
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    2 Misdirection
    4 Thoughtseize

3 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    1 Island

Sideboard

3 Emrakul
    1 Show and Tell
    2 Vines of Vastwood
    1 Flusterstorm
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Dismember
    1 Submerge

I have grinded a bunch of GPs already this year, and so I wanted this to be a fun one. I remember Gerry posting about this deck awhile back ago, so I figured it'd be a decent and fun deck to pilot with my 3 byes. Since the best deck in the format (Maverick) was it's best matchup, I was even more confident that it was a good deck choice.

My only loss in day 1 was what turned out to be my worst matchup, RUG delver. Sadly in day 2, I played 3 more of them and didn't money. Sorry to my Round 9 opponent! I did indeed get an insane brainstorm!

For those wondering, Vines is the result of the deck lacking answers to Wasteland. At first I was trying [card]Teferi's Response[/card], but it was too narrow in that it didn't also protect my blighted agent. I didn't care about the 2 cards, as if they were blowing up my inkmoth, i was fixing to win anyway. I chose vines because I currently use it in my Modern Splinter Twin deck, and figured it'd be perfect. I bought my vines, and then my buddies told me that Ranger's Guiles were strictly better because it gave the pump. However, I decided that it would never matter and saved myself the time it would take to find those cards in draft chaf. Though, during the day I realized that Vines was the one that was strictly better. Vines actually doesn't give hexproof like Guile does; instead it makes any creature immune to my opponent's spells, even my opponent's creatures. This actually came up, as I prevented my opponent from equiping a game-changing jitte for a turn.

I probably wouldn't suggest playing this deck any time soon. RUG is a terrible matchup, as is the lingering souls deck. Though, it was a fun experiment, and even though I was sad to not money, I had a great time!

great, did not see this, but the list seems quite perfect :D
    i will love to play it at my next tournament^^

both of the named ones are rare here in Berlin :)

Thread Information