Thread: Reports from Legacy tournaments in a small country in Eastern Europe

Nov 2006
    Lithuania, Vilnius

Reports from Legacy tournaments in a small country in Eastern Europe

...named Lithuania.
    We don't have a big Legacy scene or anything, our monthly tournaments are good if we have at least double-digit number of players. Mostly due to older Legacy players abandoning Magic and newer players being wary of paying the entrance fee into format, especially due to lack of easy way to acquire staples.
    What we have here are:
    a) weekly Legacy events on Tuesday evenings. Usually less than 8 players, metagame mostly consists from aggro, midrange and combo decks that prey on aggro and non-blue midrange. That leads to nonblue aggro/midrange dedicating quite some SB space for combo hate, thus making chances more equal.
    b) monthly Legacy events on some weeken day. These are more competitive, with stronger players joining and blue decks entering the metagame for good - usually around half the decks play Forces, I think.

Therefore, this is a sad tale of trying to make Legacy existant and flourishing.
    I plan on doing reports from all the events I'll be playing in. If it gets too boring or nobody will read them, I might stop.

So, today we had 5 players, piloting DDFT (me), TES, Eva Green, Boros and Punishing Maverick.

Round1 - Boros
    g1 I somehow manage to miscalculate mana and realize that a bit too late. I have to pass the turn back to him and die.
    g2 he gets Nevermore into play naming Doomsday. I Git-Probe his hand and see Rebuff the Wicked. WTF. Meanwhile Steppe Lynx and friends are doing a job on my lifepoints. He also has Silence in GY, so I cant IGG-loop him. But he leaves only one mana open during my turn and I try to Chain of Vapor his Nevermore back to hand and he, after some thinking, Rebuffs. Nice IGG loop follows. In case of not Rebuffing, some kind of DD stack would have won me the game probably, so losing wasn't his fault anyway.
    g3 I keep a greedy hand without cantrips, but with doomsday, mana and stuff. I can't find enough gas in time before he drops Thalia. a pair of turns later I have 6 life and there's Thalia, Lynx and Jitte with counters on the board and SDT isn't doing anything good for me. I Slaughter Pact Thalia, but my hand is horrible and I can't find the way to win that turn. He has Lightning Bolt for me anyway.
    He's very happy about winning - we play during most Tuesday events and this is the first time he manages. That also explains the amount of hate he has in his SB. He then proceeds to win this 3 round tournament.

Round2 - bye. I get some food and watch how TES mulligans to 3 vs Eva Green g1, and gets raped by IoK-Hymn-IoK-etc g2 and still almost makes it (AdN from 11 life down to 2 and couldn't find any tutor from ~3 Brainstorms/Ponders).

Round3 - TES.
    g1 I keep a hand with Silence. He Duresses me, I brainstorm hiding business spells and show him 2 Silences. He discards one. Next turn I Infernal Tutor another Silence. He duresses again. I get fourth Silence on my turn. He duresses again. A pair of turns later he chants and I silence in response. All 4 of my silences are in my graveyard and I can't combo off. During my turn I play several cantrips, find SDT, put it in to play, then play out my hand into IGG without any mana left. He gets back Infernal, LED and Dark Ritual, I get back Lotus Petal and 2 Silences. Put Petal into play, after several turns Silence and win.
    g2 my opening hand has 3 Silences and I hardly can keep myself from rolling on the floor from laughter. He has no chance even after some duress.
    I haven't lost to TES in tournaments with DDFT so far. Usually match goes to the person with more chants, and SDT is incredible in achieving that. Also, filtering draws all the time instead of just several cantrips makes this matchup close to unwinnable for TES, I suppose.

That's it for this week, I'll continue next week with Tuesday and also Saturday events. Stay tuned, you bastards with regular 100-or-more person tournaments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Game 3: turn 1: Chalice@1, turn 2: Sea Drake, turn 3: equip Sea Drake with SoFI. Drakes from the sea with flaming swords which are also frozen at the same time cause destruction of Biblical proportions. Just the way God intended.

Re: Reports from Legacy tournaments in a small country in Eastern Europe

Do you play DDFT every week? I used to play Dredge a lot locally until people started doing what they're doing to you and sideboarding 8 cards.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

I surprisingly enjoyed this report
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Nov 2006
    Lithuania, Vilnius

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    Do you play DDFT every week? I used to play Dredge a lot locally until people started doing what they're doing to you and sideboarding 8 cards.
    Yeah, I've been doing that for a pair of months already with playing dredge instead maybe once. I do consider playing a different deck, but I really want to be able to play through hate. Especially a lot of hate - it's fun :) Combo hate wouldn't disappear from sideboards anyway, as TES player is quite regular too and usually we have Combo Elves as well.
    Game 3: turn 1: Chalice@1, turn 2: Sea Drake, turn 3: equip Sea Drake with SoFI. Drakes from the sea with flaming swords which are also frozen at the same time cause destruction of Biblical proportions. Just the way God intended.

Nov 2006
    Lithuania, Vilnius

So, here comes another week and this time we have 8 players, playing Manaless Dredge (me), Eva Green, Boros, Burn, TES, Combo Elves, UBr Faeries and Goblinstorm (basically a pauper combo deck with Ad Nauseam thrown in - quite fun to watch).
    Quite combo-ish metagame, I'll need to think of some deck that could abuse this...
    This week I picked up Manaless Dredge for several reasons: I got quite tired of playing agains tons of hate, I wanted to play something different (I'll probably play DDFT on Saturday in a more serious event) and I wanted to prevent Dredge decks from showing on Saturday - it's not too easy to win vs it with DDFT. Me playing with it today at least should remind people to add GY hate to sideboards - that leaves less place for combo hate :D

Of course, I'm cold to Leyline of the Void and I face the only person with it SB in
    Round 1 - Eva Green
    I'm loaning this deck to him and he's getting quite good with it (finished second second week in a row).
    Game 1 he plays Dark Ritual and Hypnotic Specter t1. Damn it's good not to be playing DDFT :D . I get double-LED and double-Desperate Ravings (dredge into second after first one) draw, get in for 18 damage (6 zombies plus Zealot, which gets chumped), rape his hand with Therapies and and reanimate a big Troll for next turn.
    Game 2 he opens with Leyline. I try cantripping into something in response cracking LED, but it's useless anyway, just to try and convince him that I can do something vs Leyline so he wouldn't want to mull otherwise good hands into it.
    Game 3 I watch his face as he's drawing his starting hand and somewhere around fourth or fifth card I clearly understand that i lose.
    1-2

Round 2 - Combo Elves
    Game 1 I get some damage from my cantrips and he also gets in with some elves once before I suddenly dredge almost whole deck (he had a decent start and needed to draw something to start combo after Glimpse-elf and he did not).
    Game 2 I have three cantrips soon and he kept a not bad hand without hate.
    2-0

Round 3 - UBr Faeries
    Game 1 he counters some of my cantrips while I slowly get some dredges, then start Therapying and while he also counters those, he forgets that Cliques are legendary and doesn't play a second one to remove my bridges. Soon he can't keep up with the zombies and ever-returning Ichorids.
    Game 2 we both keep, I get Leyline of Sanctity into play and show him Chancellor of the Annex. He plays t1 EE for 0, but has no pressure at all for quite some time while I slowly get to 8 cards in hand, and start dredging/getting Nether Shadows and Ichorids. He counters some Therapies and cantrips with Spellslutters, but I somehow get him to almost tap-out, dread return Angel of Despair on EE and some time later he's low on life and has to block-return slutter into hand without mana to play. I have to sac Angel to Therapy to get it out, but he's left without any gas. He gets some hate, but can't use it due to Leyline and soon gets overwhelmed with various Zombies and Horrors.
    2-0

I finish 4th due to bad tiebreakers, but hey, finally getting to 8 people is awesome.

Nov 2006
    Lithuania, Vilnius

Today we had our montly Legacy event and a whopping 18 people showed up! We haven't had such big Legacy event in a long time, so there's hope that we are on the right track with our Legacy promotion.
    I played UBW DDFT with a SB tailored to beat Maverick and some other decks that could show up and play Thalia. That part of SB I didn't put to use...

Round1 - Dredge
    A good player, but haven't played for quite a long time, therefore I get to win.
    Game1 I keep a double-Dark Ritual, double-Doomsday hand. He Therapies me soon and gets Infernal Tutor out of it, but he's bricking on dredges, so I have quite some time. Luckily he does not sees that he can kill me by reanimating zealot on the last turn and I IGG-loop him.
    Game2 I get maybe one turn, while he does what dredge does and rapes my hand with Therapy and kills me on third turn or something.
    Game3 I get a hand with cantrips and LED, and cantrips prove to be great and let me dark ritual-doomsday into pass the turn Lab Maniac pile while still being able to silence him on his turn. He also had found dredgers a bit too late.
    2-1

Round2 - Boros
    Game1 I win while still comfortable at 15 life.
    Game 2 I can't find what I need and get beaten by triple Goblin Guide plus Canonist, bonus Price of Progress.
    Game3 I IGG loop him still at 13 life through his hate on turn2 (he kept Mountain with Pyroblast mana ready, but didn't countered my only blue spell (Probe), which didn't matter anyway.
    2-1

Round3 - Combo Elves (Gu with Vengevines and Intuition)
    Game1 he draws badly and I silence him in response to his only Glimpse.
    Game2 he has very bad draws again and I Thoughtseize his only (Intuitioned at my EOT) Mindbreak Trap and go off.
    That was too easy, usually it's around 50-50 matchup and he plays quite some combo hate all the time. Dice roll is one of the deciding moments in the match :D
    2-0

Round4 - Burn
    ID

Round5 - Bant
    ID, even though he was late for the round and received gameloss, I decided not to push my luck and go get some coffee and food instead.

Top8 - FaerieNinjaStill
    Game1 I get to resolve DD with some mana floating after Infernaling for IGG and then going for lucky Ponder instead of continuing an IGG loop (because that wouldn't give enough stormcount vs jitte with counters), finding Meditate and drawing cantrips plus Doomsday off of it (although I'm pretty sure that I made a mistake of leaving UUB instead of UBB after casting meditate as my last card in hand), but can't find a pile that would win me the game with what I have, and after 10 minutes of thinking and judge telling me a stories about how much time I have and opponents reading some paper (he played me during the last tournament and brought the paper specially for match with me - to have something to do while I'm thinking) I put something together and realize it's wrong when I start to resolve spells. Brainfart #1, onto game2.
    Game2 I get SI, Emrakul and a pair of brainstorms in my starting hand. Fetch Sea, play Brainstorm, put Emrakul second from the top. Put him under SI next turn. From there all I needed was to find and resolve DD, which wasn't too difficult.
    Game3 I resolve Grand Abolisher while he's slowly poking me with some cheap little critters. At 10 life I draw Doomsday, but I don't have any spell that could cantrip me into pile. I look at his creatures on the table and (brainfart #2) somehow see 5 damage where in reality is only 4. Naturally, I pass the turn hoping to draw some cantrip and get Vendillion Clique'd and lose next turn.
    Lesson: learn to count better...

Nov 2006
    Lithuania, Vilnius

Today we had 10 players. I brought DDFT again.

Round1 - Goblinstorm
    He has no disruption MD and does not SB's in Duresses. Sadly, too easy, although it's good to see that he's willing to learn and we talked a lot about combo decks.

Round2 - Elves
    Well, we do play eachother during all the tournaments...
    Game1 - I am disappointed to see Chain of Vapor in my starting hand so I at least chain his turn1 mana elf at eot. On my turn2 I play ritual-doomsday-pass the turn pile. He plays a pair of elves on his turn and I win. Turns out he had a turn2 win if I hadn't bounced that elf.
    Game2 - I start slowly, luckily, he's not too fast either, drawing double Carpet of Flowers instead of business spells. I get beaten down to 5 life and with 6 damage on the table, I have to go for it. After ~10 minutes of thinking (am I glad people let me take time to figure stuff out :) ) I find a pile which loses only to MB Trap (I know he sided them in, but he let me resolve Doomsday...). It involves playing Doomsday, drawing Tundra from the top of library with SDT, passing the turn and chanting with kicker on his upkeep, next turn winning with Lab Man.

Round3 - Eva Green
    Game1 I get hymned and can't find good cards. Then I get hymned some more and he starts putting creatures into play.
    Game2 he discards and extirpates my Infernal Tutors. No problem, I win a pair of turns later.
    Game3 he keeps a bad hand (no business before turn2, and only then just creatures and no disruption) and gets punished for it on my turn 2 or 3. I think he wastelanded me on his turn2 and bought at least some time that way, but still no help.

I split prizes with the other 9-pointer (shop closes early enough so we don't have time to play the top2). Overall, I might have been lucky to avoid the blue decks, but I'm still proud of myself for making it through some really uneasy situations.

Until next week.

Thread Information