Page 20 of 446 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Aug 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Quote Originally Posted by mike1987 View Post
    Usually how do you guys deal with maverick. More often than not, my opponent will always find a turn 2 Thalia. Means I have to either wish for deathmark or infest. I will find infest more useful as they tend to have MOM or gaddock teeg on board soon after. However, I will always end up spending much resources or turns to find infest that my life will be in the red zone. Or am I doing it wrong?
    kill them fast? i always just go for T1/ T2 ad naus and just kill them. and mulligan accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1987 View Post
    Usually how do you guys deal with maverick. More often than not, my opponent will always find a turn 2 Thalia. Means I have to either wish for deathmark or infest. I will find infest more useful as they tend to have MOM or gaddock teeg on board soon after. However, I will always end up spending much resources or turns to find infest that my life will be in the red zone. Or am I doing it wrong?
    I know I'm a heretic and all, but I haven't had problems with Maverick with my decklist, which is slightly different from Bryant's list and doesn't rely on Ad Nauseam that much (I maindeck Ill-Gotten Gains, because it's good with the Cabal Ritual that I run as a budget alternative to Chrome Mox).
    The land of waiting where the dead sit in their thoughts' shadow, by no moon lit.

Jun 2012
    Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by Awaclus View Post
    I know I'm a heretic and all, but I haven't had problems with Maverick with my decklist, which is slightly different from Bryant's list and doesn't rely on Ad Nauseam that much (I maindeck Ill-Gotten Gains, because it's good with the Cabal Ritual that I run as a budget alternative to Chrome Mox).
    then you are running ant

Quote Originally Posted by SaberTooth View Post
    then you are running ant
    I suppose I could go to the ANT thread with my decklist too, but it is still much closer to TES than ANT. I'm running less lands than ANT, no Grim Tutor, Preordain or Gitaxian Probe, ANT typically doesn't run Rite of Flame while I do, etc.
    The land of waiting where the dead sit in their thoughts' shadow, by no moon lit.

Hey everyone, I am going to Mythic Games in Elmira this weekend with T.E.S. Any new side board suggestions? I know the meta there is usually alot of Maverick and combo (Dredge and Sneak and Show). My main is the same as Bryant's minus 3 Duress for 3 Inquisition of Kozilek. My current side board is the following:

3 Duress
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Deathmark
    1 Massacre
    1 Infest
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Past in Flames

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by lambert101 View Post
    Hey everyone, I am going to Mythic Games in Elmira this weekend with T.E.S. Any new side board suggestions? I know the meta there is usually alot of Maverick and combo (Dredge and Sneak and Show). My main is the same as Bryant's minus 3 Duress for 3 Inquisition of Kozilek. My current side board is the following:

3 Duress
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Deathmark
    1 Massacre
    1 Infest
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Past in Flames
    The deck really needs Duress vs. Sneak and Show, Mavericks numbers have decreased a bit I wouldn't be playing four Inquisitions main. I'm playing a Duress in the side over Infest too.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasDowd View Post
    kill them fast? i always just go for T1/ T2 ad naus and just kill them. and mulligan accordingly.
    I see. Thanks man, will practice mulliganing

@ Bryant: thank you for the suggestions and will let you know how it turns out.

@ Bryant: thank you for the suggestions and will let you know how it turns out.
    If you're playing against a lot of Maverick, I find MDing the 4th Duress is better than the 5th Orim's Chant because discaring their Green Sun's Zenith on turn 1 or 2 is the game winning play more often than not.

IoK belongs in the board, you don't want to be dead to rights vs. Force of Will.

good suggestions....any other good tech versus maverick or sneak attack?

Sep 2010
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    If you're playing against a lot of Maverick, I find MDing the 4th Duress is better than the 5th Orim's Chant because discaring their Green Sun's Zenith on turn 1 or 2 is the game winning play more often than not.

IoK belongs in the board, you don't want to be dead to rights vs. Force of Will.
    If you're facing a lot of Maverick Inqusition in the main is better than the 4th Duress or 5th Chant. Duress only hits Green Sun's Zenith while Inquisition hits Green Sun and every hatebear Maverick plays. You don't lose much not being able to hit Force of Will. There are 7 other cards in you main deck that you use to beat FoW. Also Inquisition still hits Spell Pierce, Spell Snare, and Daze and all discard cards.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

We only had six people at my LGS's weekly Legacy event this week so I proposed we play for the Mana Drain in the case. After the six of us pitched in $20 we were off. I defeated a (rather poor) Esper Stoneblade player, a (somewhat unlucky) RUG Delver player, and then split being the only 2-0. Easy $60. I played the stock list with Duress in the Infest slot as Bryant has been suggesting.

Round 1:
    Game 1: He Counterspells a Silence, doesn't have any other business. I make a billion Goblins and he scoops it up.
    Game 2: He makes some poor decisions with discard spells, taking my two Burning Wishes but leaving me with Infernal Tutor and Lion's Eye Diamond. I decide to go off after he taps out for Jace with only a few cards in hand. He Forces my Infernal Tutor. He fateseals Jace up to 11 before I draw Ad Nauseam. He's been drawing and playing lands for a few turns, so he has only three cards in hand, but these include Force and blue card.
    Game 3: He mulligans to five. I Inquisition and see Mindbreak Trap. I go off with Ad Nauseam as my second spell on turn three.

Round 2:
    Game 1: I wait for three turns trying to find protection while he beats me down to 15 with small creatures. I decide to just go for it and he has nothing.
    Game 2: He beats me down to 12 before I can go off. I can make 10 Goblins but he'll win the race. I cast Diminishing Returns with no mana floating, making his graveyard-dependant creatures small. The new hand has an Infernal Tutor in it and a Ponder a turn or two later finds two Lion's Eye Diamonds. I win with Ill-Gotten Gains.

Round 3: Split, my opponent scoops.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Quote Originally Posted by zmattk View Post
    If you're facing a lot of Maverick Inqusition in the main is better than the 4th Duress or 5th Chant. Duress only hits Green Sun's Zenith while Inquisition hits Green Sun and every hatebear Maverick plays. You don't lose much not being able to hit Force of Will. There are 7 other cards in you main deck that you use to beat FoW. Also Inquisition still hits Spell Pierce, Spell Snare, and Daze and all discard cards.
    I disagree, being able to discard a Gaddok Teeg or Thalia vs Maverick is not as important as being able to discard a Force of Will vs. all decks playing U, TES's primary concern game 1 is still Force of Will regardless of the presence of Maverick in your metagame.

Sep 2010
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    I disagree, being able to discard a Gaddok Teeg or Thalia vs Maverick is not as important as being able to discard a Force of Will vs. all decks playing U, TES's primary concern game 1 is still Force of Will regardless of the presence of Maverick in your metagame.
    Hatebears are just as effective at stopping you as Force of Will is. You still have 7 other ways at combating Force as well as a wishable Duress. The singleton IoK makes a big difference when you're not trying to drop games against a GW deck. With Maverick being the second most played deck, I think it's a good choice made by Bryant. IoK can also hit all other forms of hate so it's not like it can only be used to stop Teeg or Thalia.

Jun 2012
    Argentina

my main is 3 duress and one IoK, with 3 more in sb, and i think is good

maybe i'll remove infest... never used it, but i think that is because there's no maverick in my meta, a junk uses teeg... but idk, i killed him faster, or discarded it

what do u think, is pyroclasm a good choice?

I have been using Massacre and it has been alright...

Edit: This may seem bad but what about Sudden Shock in for the 2 Death Mark Spots.....stops Thalia before Mother of Runes ability...

Sep 2010
    Michigan

I have been using Massacre and it has been alright...

Edit: This may seem bad but what about Sudden Shock in for the 2 Death Mark Spots.....stops Thalia before Mother of Runes ability...
    Pyroclasm deals damage which Mother of Runes can prevent. Massacre cannot be cast under Gaddock Teeg. Sudden Shock costs 3 with Thalia out. I prefer Deathmark since its quicker meaning you win quicker. And if I'm paying 3 for a card it's going to be Infest and it will wipe the board. Honestly this has all been discussed before. Bryant has this deck figured out. I would suggest reading the previous pages as well as the old thread. It will really help you understand the entirety of the deck much better.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

No love for Virtue's Ruin at 3 mana? Infest is it's ugly but more well-known cousin.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

It's been mentioned before. If you read back far enough I'm sure you'll find some opinions.

In other news, I was crushed most spectacularly in a GPT yesterday. I mean, I somehow lost round one to cards I had to read. I ended up losing to Maverick splashing blue for Spell Pierce and Flusterstorm in the last round, out of contention for Top 8. Opponents had everything they could possibly have virtually 100% of the time while I drew garbage and flipped garbage to Ad Nauseam all day. Pretty frustrating.
    Last edited by thefringthing; 06-17-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=47078

Can we also Wish for a Reanimate?
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Until I can play storm perfectly, I have not played it enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kibler
    Funny enough I was 18 once too. It was sweet, but being me now is way sweeter.

Thread Information