Page 128 of 446 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 8918

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    He doesn't want to get blown out by City in a Bottle.
    Word. Mine are strictly worse. (Shout out to sdematt for the hook up, though!)

Back on topic - I've been really enjoying this deck, bad beat stories involving 2-outers notwithstanding - but hey, nobody wants to hear bad beat stories.

I do find myself maindecking/siding out Empty vs Tendrils depending on the meta. That's been discussed ad nauseam already. I think the standard build is still the best, especially for a large field.

I can't help but think that this deck will be even better positioned post-new rules and post S&T ban. Detention Sphere is a thing and if Omnitell fades then people will be less prepared for combo.

I know others have attested to it, but this is truly one of those decks that rewards playskill. I had been practicing for a year before playing it in a tourney, and 20+ rounds of sanctioned play later I'm just starting to come to grips with the deck.

It's like a nice old bottle o' wine - better with age. And still has a lot of surprise value when opponents don't know Empty is a card.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

PartyMonster
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig
    He doesn't want to get blown out by City in a Bottle.
    Japanese chronicles
    Chronicles actually counts as Arabian Nights for City in a Bottle because it has the Arabian Nights set symbol (CR 206.3).

I just upgraded to some Arab City of Brasses and they look sweet. They're beat to hell, but that just means they have character. I had been playing with some Italian Renaissance CoB and they look pretty good for the price. Picked mine up for like $11, worth it. There's black-border Italian, French, and German Renaissance City of Brass available and the much more expensive Japanese Chronicles.
    Edit - double-checked Librarities, looks like French and German Renaissance didn't include City of Brass. That set is so confusing.

I was dicking around with some friends playing TES against Drain Gush Control and actually won like 4 of 8 games. Empty is a hell of a card.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

May 2011
    New Zealand

Yeah, I use Italian chronicles. Does the job, and it ensures that I can fetch my duals up quick as they're the only WB cards in my deck now.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I mean these dudes watch this format every weekend... I feel like they should know what the decks are doing... Or not try to tell the viewers whats going to happen. If they don't understand the deck, they shouldnt predict plays.
    I want to upvote your post, but I don't know how. This is what I think every time I watch the videos. The commentators are really bad if they are being genuine. I just choose to believe that they are scripted that way so that they get a chance to inform the audience about what's going on in a more subtle way...

Apr 2011
    So Cal

Took TES to the mtgdeals tournament yesterday. I've been playing the deck for about a month but this is the first tournament with it. Punted a couple times, but still managed to top 8. The deck is was way more forgiving than I expected or it's just so powerful even i can't screw it up.

I read Bryant's sideboard guide the day before the tournament, it was one of the best articles I read on the TES and it helped me from screwing up my sideboarding choices (I might have over sided xantid swarms assuming people would side out removal). I noticed all day that most people have no idea how to sideboard against TES. Probes were showing me peoples hands with 1 or 2 dead cards and they were probably happy they drew their 'answers'.

I did have a couple questions.

On the draw against an unknown opponent (except I know they're running bayou) would you keep: gemstone mine, brainstorm, rite of flame, 4x dark ritual?

Does anybody have tips for matchups vs. heavy discard with a clock (Jund, BUG threshold, etc.) those were my hard matchups all day going 1-2-1 against the 2 jund and 2 bug thresh decks I faced.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

That's the kind of hand that makes ya think, all right.
    Your given info:
    Your hand consists of 4 Rits, 1 RoF, 1 Brainstorm and 1 Gemstone Mine. They run at least one Bayou. You're on the draw.

This is where your matchup knowledge will help you decide to keep or not.

Decks with Bayou are either popular decks like BUG variants or Jund, or niche decks like Nic Fit, or other four color monstrosities. Lots of those decks run discard so keep to play with that in mind. If they lead with a spot discard, you're relying on the top of your deck. If they play Cabal THerapy, they probably know how to use it and will miss the first time around. Most Therapy players will name IT or LED, provided they know what you're on. Let's just assume you'll be one card down by the start of your turn, most likely the Brainstorm. Would you mulligan a hand of Gemstone Mine, Rite of Flame and 4 Dark Ritual?

They could also lead with a DRS, or some other spell that doesn't interact with you. If that's the case then that hand looks better and better. Given this situation I would not mull that hand. Not against a Bayou deck.

In discard heavy matches Past in Flames is pretty good. Either you fan open a hand that'll go off through a piece of discard turn one or two. Or you lay out all your artifact mana and play off the top of your deck. Rite of Flame and Burning Wish can get you there, Diminishing Returns and PiF will come out of your sideboard to get the storm up from nothing. That's another point, lay out your artifact mana so it doesn't get discarded. Watch out for Pernicious Deeds. Some matchups like BUG control are horrendous. They have all the things and if you don't draw the nut and go off turn one, the longer the game goes on the worse your life is.

Bryant playing the mirror right now !

Blub.
    Oct 2010
    Germany

and atm against Goblins. 1-1

"I think the goblin player is now boarding the relic of progenitus, because past in flames is the main way to win in ad nauseam tendrils"

bad commentator is bad. i hate them
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Are you guys fucking serious? Like really?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    and atm against goblins. 1-1

"i think the goblin player is now boarding the relic of progenitus, because past in flames is the main way to win in ad nauseam tendrils"

bad commentator is bad. I hate them
    so. Much. Fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

May 2011
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post

"I think the goblin player is now boarding the relic of progenitus, because past in flames is the main way to win in ad nauseam tendrils"

To be fair they did say it was kind of marginal but better than nothing.

So he top 8's!

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by JUNI0R View Post
    Does anybody have tips for matchups vs. heavy discard with a clock (Jund, BUG threshold, etc.) those were my hard matchups all day going 1-2-1 against the 2 jund and 2 bug thresh decks I faced.
    You may wanna read the Reports in my Signature (especially No. 4 for BUG) for that.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jun 2012
    Argentina

bryant is the best tes pilot out there, i really enojoy watching him

Apr 2011
    So Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    You may wanna read the Reports in my Signature (especially No. 4 for BUG) for that.
    I started reading those last week, too bad I didn't get to no. 4 yet. I'll bump that up on my reading list, thanks.

Congratz on the top 8 Bryant! Always good to see storm performing well and smashing people. I love these announcers. They say "oh there's lots of blue in the northeast, I wonder how storm combo can do so well." I destroy blue decks routinely, it isn't even hard short of the opponent being a lucksack.

I love how much they think ANT and TES are the same and that past in flames is the main engine. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

May 2011
    New Zealand

I win more against blue decks than I do against non-blue (truth)

Watching the replay of the storm mirror... pretty sure you go like -1 EtW +1 therapy or something?

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Back to back SCG events. Take it down!!
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Basaka View Post
    I win more against blue decks than I do against non-blue (truth)

Watching the replay of the storm mirror... pretty sure you go like -1 EtW +1 therapy or something?
    Sounds fine. And yeah the real problems were Thalias and Chalices for me... Countertop was pretty annoying, but it doesnt see much play anymore. Tempo was just basically up to how well the tempo player draws/how good the players are

But I think a good storm pilot beats a good tempo pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

May 2011
    New Zealand

I can totally agree with that. I had a friend who boasted that he was 80-20 against storm with RUG delver... I proceeded to crush him 2-0 for 3/4th playoff at the GP Sydney side event (SB'd Blue elemental blast and Tormod's crypt? Sure, I'll take those cards in your deck.)

Mar 2013
    Buffalo NY

When the video goes to blip can someone please hook me up with a link?

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post

Just watched that TES mirror. I was so hoping you were kidding about how bad the commentators are. That was fucking painful - they spent more time talking about how pretty the decks are than strategy!

Always interesting to see the mirror. I've played it a couple times and it's a lot of fun.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Thread Information