Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    I miss The Eternal Glory Podcast :(
    It was fun while it lasted.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Bryant Cook

Bryant Cook

Nice to see the deck keep putting up results! I like that we cut the fourth opal. I got my third comming in the Mail.

This month's "Infernal Tutoring" article is now live, featuring special guest ALLEN YEE (ROCKMAN000)! Check it out, and let me know what plays you would have made in our three latest scenarios.

https://www.theepicstorm.com/tes-infernal-tutoring-38/

Bryant Cook

Bryant Cook

Bryant Cook

I normally play Legacy locals on Monday nights, had the itch, decided to record a league:
    https://www.theepicstorm.com/legacy-...cook-03-23-20/

This month's "Infernal Tutoring" article is now live, featuring Storm expert ANURAAG DAS (Anzid)! Check it out, and let me know what plays you would have made in our three latest scenarios.

https://www.theepicstorm.com/tes-infernal-tutoring-39/

This deck seems incredibly well-positioned right now.

New Card! It's probably pretty good and companion is pretty interesting.

https://www.theepicstorm.com/card-re...the-dream-den/

(Does anyone read this thread anymore?)

Quote Originally Posted by Vivarus View Post
    Yes!!

I do, personally I think Zirda looks interesting, Grim Monolith is an already fringe playable card that fits into Belcher. If anything the companions are just great Force of Will fodder and make the opponent keep spot removal in their decks, so the biggest upside of these cards isn't even necessarily casting them.

Curiously, Vivarus also makes creature based Storm decks more consistent by always providing a creature for Culling the Weak - if you have a Lotus Petal it nets mana.

I am pretty sure this is getting banned in Legacy along with that 2U draw 2 cards sorcery, free resources don't fair wellwhen it comes to the ban list.

I also do :)

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    I do, personally I think Zirda looks interesting, Grim Monolith is an already fringe playable card that fits into Belcher. If anything the companions are just great Force of Will fodder and make the opponent keep spot removal in their decks, so the biggest upside of these cards isn't even necessarily casting them.
    Agreed that a big win of companions for us is the secret mode of never planning on casting it - it might make hand disruption better g1 as their kept hands may be clunkier than usual.

I am pretty sure this is getting banned in Legacy along with that 2U draw 2 cards sorcery, free resources don't fair wellwhen it comes to the ban list.
    Just to confirm, are you thinking of Of One Mind, the one that becomes U: draw 2 if you have a Human and a non-Human? While I think the card is definitely strong (and feels like a shoo-in for any Young Peezy decks), it doesn't strike me as something ban-worthy; needing 2 creatures on the battlefield isn't all that easy with the abundance of removal available in the format, and I think pretty much everyone would agree that Faithless and Thoughtcast (probably the closest analogues, being 1-mana draw-2s with some deckbuilding constraints) aren't close to being ban-worthy.

That being said, I'm also a bit apprehensive about companion staying long-term in legacy; I'm sure most of them will be fine (the banned-in-commander Lutri is certainly too low power-level _and_ weakens decks too much to be viable), but the very obvious power bump of "yeah some players can start with an extra un-discard-able card in hand" feels really risky, especially when WoTC's rather clearly embraced the idea of more powerful Standards at the cost of older formats.

I don't think the 2U draw 2 is getting banned seeing thoughtcast is unplayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I don't think the 2U draw 2 is getting banned seeing thoughtcast is unplayed.
    Thoughtcast isn't comparable, it takes a whole deck to cast it at all where Of One Mind gets enabled with Noble Hierarch and recurred with Snapcaster Mage. U for 2 cards is broken, and 2U for 2 cards is already borderline playable. I think it's closer to that U for 2 Delve card than people realize.

Thoughtcast isn't comparable, it takes a whole deck to cast it at all where Of One Mind gets enabled with Noble Hierarch and recurred with Snapcaster Mage. U for 2 cards is broken, and 2U for 2 cards is already borderline playable. I think it's closer to that U for 2 Delve card than people realize.
    Just to ensure I'm not missing something, how does Of One Mind get enabled with just a Noble? The cost reduction requirement requires both a Human creature (which Noble is) and a non-Human creature (which Noble isn't; although it certainly has non-Human creature types, it's not a non-Human creature, just like how Hogaak can't be Terror-ed because it's somehow a non-black creature).

I'd also argue that in our format, 2U draw 2 isn't really borderline playable, given how many 2-mana draw 2s are rarely played; Accumulated Knowledge, Predict, Night's Whisper, and Chart a Course all have seen some play in the past, but basically aren't played anymore. I agree that each had a hoop, but I'd argue that their hoops are smaller than Of One Mind's needing 2 different creatures on the battlefield (and rather importantly for AK and Predict, sorcery speed weakens the effect significantly in control shells).

But I agree that it's certainly a card to keep an eye on; U for draw 2 is certainly powerful, and it's possible that the hoops are smaller to jump through than people are currently giving it credit for (apparently the UR Delver discord has largely dismissed it despite its clear synergy with Young Pyromancer, which I found extremely surprising). Time will tell :)

Quote Originally Posted by notkevin View Post
    Just to ensure I'm not missing something, how does Of One Mind get enabled with just a Noble? The cost reduction requirement requires both a Human creature (which Noble is) and a non-Human creature (which Noble isn't; although it certainly has non-Human creature types, it's not a non-Human creature, just like how Hogaak can't be Terror-ed because it's somehow a non-black creature).

I'd also argue that in our format, 2U draw 2 isn't really borderline playable, given how many 2-mana draw 2s are rarely played; Accumulated Knowledge, Predict, Night's Whisper, and Chart a Course all have seen some play in the past, but basically aren't played anymore. I agree that each had a hoop, but I'd argue that their hoops are smaller than Of One Mind's needing 2 different creatures on the battlefield (and rather importantly for AK and Predict, sorcery speed weakens the effect significantly in control shells).

But I agree that it's certainly a card to keep an eye on; U for draw 2 is certainly powerful, and it's possible that the hoops are smaller to jump through than people are currently giving it credit for (apparently the UR Delver discord has largely dismissed it despite its clear synergy with Young Pyromancer, which I found extremely surprising). Time will tell :)
    Enable in the sense that it's one human that you can build your entire aggro-control deck around, between Noble Hierarch and Green Sun's Zenith it seems like a shoe in for BANT because you can play Hierarch and then just fetch for Arbor, reach for Vivarus or play Goyf and Draw 2.

Another interesting thought, Cabal Therapy just got a lot better in Storm because now every deck has a drop on 3 or 2 with Lotus Petal. Shit, there are going to be so many must counter situations between recurring Petal and getting in a free Therapy, this thing screams for Force of Will.

Bryant Cook

Sep 2011

Lurrus looks really strong for such low opportunity cost. Who knew the path to natural storm kills was turning sideways?

Imagine if this was in print before they banned Breach. "crack LED for my companion, replay Underworld Breach and win". Bonus Sevinne's Reclamation from the Command Zone.

Round 4 G2 vs Turbo Depths:
    What do you think about Wish for Echo (2 floating) over the 10 Goblins? Echo also lets you play Lurus in between, Empty doesn't. Even if you whiff, you have a full grip with Lurrus in play and mulliganned their hand, instead of gambling 10 Goblins on the draw races a hand they chose to keep. Having Lurrus must change the odds on the Wish lines.

Thread Information