Page 427 of 446 FirstFirst ... 327377417423424425426427428429430431437 ... LastLast
Results 8,521 to 8,540 of 8918

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

As a new-ish TES player, the flood of quality content you guys have been putting out has been great. Thanks for that.

I went 3-2 last night in our local monthly. I beat Elves, BUG Shadow Delver, and Enchantress and lost to ANT and Burn. I'm writing up a tournament tonight with the gritty details, but I wanted to go ahead and post this to get it off my chest (it's been giving me conniptions): I struggle to beat burn. The website (and common sense) say the matchup should be favorable for me, but I really feel like it's about 40-60 or worse. If I don't make a pile of goblins on turn 1, it seems like they always have the Eidolon on their turn 2, and winning through an Eidolon feels impossible most of the time. Sure, you can Wish for removal, but unless you're waiting until turn 3-4 to make those land drops, you're going to have to use acceleration to get there; that means taking usually 6 or 8 damage off the Eidolon just to remove it at a loss of bare minimum one tutor effect. God forbid they drop a second. Games 2 and 3, they bring in Pillars, and those are even harder to remove if you're not on the Abrupt Decay plan. Even if they don't have the Eidolon, the insanely fast life total pressure makes Ad Naus lines G1 significantly more risky.

Am I just playing this matchup completely incorrectly? I know my mulligan game is the weakest aspect of my play, but I've run this matchup dozens of times in the last month, and I think I've improved. Are there any particular play patterns or cards you guys look for/avoid that aren't obvious? I try to stay away from cantrips and Duresses in game 1 and I avoid Ad Nauseam lines unless I can get it off turn 1 or 2 with mana floating and a substantial life total. I go for Tendrils every game if I can, and if not I aim for 12 or more goblins to punch through their ground team.
    Riding the Spiral

Nov 2017
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by FavoredRevenant View Post
    As a new-ish TES player, the flood of quality content you guys have been putting out has been great. Thanks for that.

I went 3-2 last night in our local monthly. I beat Elves, BUG Shadow Delver, and Enchantress and lost to ANT and Burn. I'm writing up a tournament tonight with the gritty details, but I wanted to go ahead and post this to get it off my chest (it's been giving me conniptions): I struggle to beat burn. The website (and common sense) say the matchup should be favorable for me, but I really feel like it's about 40-60 or worse. If I don't make a pile of goblins on turn 1, it seems like they always have the Eidolon on their turn 2, and winning through an Eidolon feels impossible most of the time. Sure, you can Wish for removal, but unless you're waiting until turn 3-4 to make those land drops, you're going to have to use acceleration to get there; that means taking usually 6 or 8 damage off the Eidolon just to remove it at a loss of bare minimum one tutor effect. God forbid they drop a second. Games 2 and 3, they bring in Pillars, and those are even harder to remove if you're not on the Abrupt Decay plan. Even if they don't have the Eidolon, the insanely fast life total pressure makes Ad Naus lines G1 significantly more risky.

Am I just playing this matchup completely incorrectly? I know my mulligan game is the weakest aspect of my play, but I've run this matchup dozens of times in the last month, and I think I've improved. Are there any particular play patterns or cards you guys look for/avoid that aren't obvious? I try to stay away from cantrips and Duresses in game 1 and I avoid Ad Nauseam lines unless I can get it off turn 1 or 2 with mana floating and a substantial life total. I go for Tendrils every game if I can, and if not I aim for 12 or more goblins to punch through their ground team.
    I am not super experinced in this matchup, but I believe that an Ad nauseum when they have two lands is bad, and that past in flames is your friend. Also make some goblins!!!!

Don't be afraid to mulligan aggressively if you have a slow hand, going off quickly is key in this matchup. I'd also go for Empty the Warrens lines more often as most of the time it just wins the race. After sideboarding we have four answers to Eidolon and Pyrostatic Pillar, which is a lot.The best advice I can give though is definitely to mulligan slower hands more often, even if you mulligan into a hand that can only make ten goblins it's still better than not going off before the burn deck takes a heavy toll on your life total or drops an Eidolon or Pillar.

Also, I recommend checking out the sideboard guide on the website as it gives a great idea of our game plan after game one. You should also read Alex Poling's Battle Matchup article where he tackles the matchup more in depth.

Hope this helps!

http://theepicstorm.com/sideboard-guide/

http://www.theepicstorm.com/tes-matchup-battles-burn/

Burn is a difficult matchup because all of the Storm engines in the stock list aren't designed to take it into account, Empty the Warrens can lose on the ground if you don't play it by turn 2, Past in Flames is too slow vs aggro and Ad Nauseam is suicide so you should probably put a Diminishing Returns instead of a Telemin Performance in your SB since you're very likely to be able to win on T3 with it and as a bonus it's good vs Lands too.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Burn is a difficult matchup because all of the Storm engines in the stock list aren't designed to take it into account, Empty the Warrens can lose on the ground if you don't play it by turn 2, Past in Flames is too slow vs aggro and Ad Nauseam is suicide so you should probably put a Diminishing Returns instead of a Telemin Performance in your SB since you're very likely to be able to win on T3 with it and as a bonus it's good vs Lands too.
    I have an 80% win ratio against Burn in over 40 recorded matches. I wouldn't say it's a difficult matchup. Just need to learn how to mulligan aggressively and the strategy.

Bryant Cook

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

I just maybe have lost 1 among 10 match ups played vs burn... well D.R. is good vs burn as F.F says... IGG in base plus Tendrils is faster than PiF and vs burn is irrelevant so thats an option too, CoV is good as also generates storm in the combo turn to tendrils them...

anyway i dont think all these things are needed vs burn.
    what always will shock me is the way you all side vs burn - but anyway - I just take out 3 duress/2 ponder and put 2 decay 2 ET 1 bayou having then 1AN all GP total 13 lands still 1EtW. EDIT sure 4 CT

regarding the B.C, article: Nice article I have to say - even i understadn the decisions and context I just took other direction but hey! now I am at home and likely i am very optimistic
    but I would have kept all the hands!!
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build
    Yes, I am advanced and you know it...

Suggestion: Play Magic as a Hobby. Competitiveness is uniquely usefull in this Era and just to evolve the human being to a certain extent...

So 3 MD Warrens was pretty interesting today online,

3 Empty the Warrens
    1 Ad Nauseam
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Duress
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island

SB

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Grape Shot
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Telemin Performance
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Consign/Oblivion
    3 Echoing Truth
    2 Rending Volley

I stole a lot of games off the back of Warrens game 1, there wasn't really anybody playing Stifle so I opened up a lot of games just by pushing Goblins on them and then SBed out the extra Warrens for the pretty standard 7 discard package and just played the deck normally after that. I really like that manabase even tho' it doesn't have a basic to it, the off color fetchlands are a pretty interesting strategy because people see the off color fetchlands and just tap out for their 1 drops without thinking about Storm as a possibility.

I'm not going to really say this is the best list or anything, but I didn't have much problems with Ad Nauseam despite the extra copies of Warrens since I could just stop short and spit 20+ attackers on the board without worrying about them being able to sweep em game 1. It definitely looks viable tho', if you think you can take advantage of the meta being soft vs Warrens.
    Had a lot of fun with this list lately and thinking to bring it at the locals next week. I tuned it a bit tho.

3 Empty the Warrens
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Infernal Tutor
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Duress
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Simian Spirit
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    1 Swamp
    1 Island

Of this list I really love how it could consistently drop 10 goblins on turn 1-2.
    Another thing I like is that SSG doesnt use graveyard, its uncounterable and make fetching for basic island way better.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Jax- View Post
    Had a lot of fun with this list lately and thinking to bring it at the locals next week. I tuned it a bit tho.

3 Empty the Warrens
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Infernal Tutor
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Duress
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Simian Spirit
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    1 Swamp
    1 Island

Of this list I really love how it could consistently drop 10 goblins on turn 1-2.
    Another thing I like is that SSG doesnt use graveyard, its uncounterable and make fetching for basic island way better.
    While this list is explosive, it's essentially Belcher with less lines. It's so focused on ETW it can't do anything else, which makes it easier to defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I have an 80% win ratio against Burn in over 40 recorded matches. I wouldn't say it's a difficult matchup. Just need to learn how to mulligan aggressively and the strategy.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply burn was an unfavourable match up, I meant Burn is a difficult match up because if they do manage to reach turn 3 then you have to learn how to play around the soft lock and Ad Nauseam/Past in Flames/Empty the Warrens don't give you easy lines at the health and time you need to close out the game if you had to bounce a Pillar of Flames etc.

I'm more concerned about the situations where the deck doesn't just goldfish a win vs aggro and has to deal with post-board hate.

@Jax

Yeah, I was never really serious about 3MD Warrens, I was just messing around with different ideas at the time and even tho' you will win a lot of really easy games G1 you're making your whole deck soft to Stifle and Flusterstorm.

I play a pretty conservative list usually.

3 Empty the Warrens
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Infernal Tutor
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Duress
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Simian Spirit
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    1 Swamp
    1 Island

If you're going this route, I don't think dropping Rite of Flame is correct. If you're trying to make goblins as early as possible, SSG is just netting you less storm and less tokens. If you're concerned about grave hate, the worst it's doing to you is making rite as good as SSG yet it still builds storm. Since you're trying to just spit out early Empties, do you even want basic island? Hands with an Empty and double SSG are going to make 4 less Goblins turn 1 than hands with Empty and double rite, I don't see how SSG could possibly be better than Rite here. I think you want to max out your Rites before adding any SSGs. I also don't think this list gains anything from playing basics.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_D View Post
    If you're going this route, I don't think dropping Rite of Flame is correct. If you're trying to make goblins as early as possible, SSG is just netting you less storm and less tokens. If you're concerned about grave hate, the worst it's doing to you is making rite as good as SSG yet it still builds storm. Since you're trying to just spit out early Empties, do you even want basic island? Hands with an Empty and double SSG are going to make 4 less Goblins turn 1 than hands with Empty and double rite, I don't see how SSG could possibly be better than Rite here. I think you want to max out your Rites before adding any SSGs. I also don't think this list gains anything from playing basics.
    If anything, he should've cut lands for the SSG's as explosive as this list is, you don't need to hit as many land drops. Each SSG is .5 lands.

Plus SSG pairs well with Rite of Flame.

As a back-up engine, I'd probably run Diminishing Returns (SB) and a fourth Chrome Mox.

Bryant Cook

Talking about stock list. Any way to make space for 1 board TS? MD Bayou?

No reason to use a worse than Swamp land in the MD, since SB space isn't at a premium. 2nd Warrens or Swarms can all be cut for a Thoughtseize

This is to answer the people who are PMing me for a list,

1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Empty the Warrens
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Duress
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Swamp

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grape Shot
    1 Dark Petition
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Consign/Oblivion
    1 Massacre
    2 Chain of Vapour
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Bayou

There's no "secret sauce," I just prefer the consistent land drops, additional Burning Wish targets and Diminishing Returns over Telemin Performance right now. I don't find Island, Badlands and Xantid Swarms to be reliable, sometimes the Island and Badlands cause mulligan issues that Underground Sea and Volcanic Island wouldn't and Xantid Swarm exposes the manabase vs Wasteland where Thoughtseize doesn't. I believe these things come down to personal experience, as all of the cards serve equivalent functions regardless of which cards you use.

May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

There's no "secret sauce," I just prefer the consistent land drops, additional Burning Wish targets and Diminishing Returns over Telemin Performance right now. I don't find Island, Badlands and Xantid Swarms to be reliable, sometimes the Island and Badlands cause mulligan issues that Underground Sea and Volcanic Island wouldn't and Xantid Swarm exposes the manabase vs Wasteland where Thoughtseize doesn't. I believe these things come down to personal experience, as all of the cards serve equivalent functions regardless of which cards you use.
    @Jax
    @Dr_D

I buy your list too! that is likely and sadly the 60 i would run with 13 lands... no sihty island and the option of Badlands/Swamp - but I would buy that basic! I would hate to play 3 B.W. or 2 C.M. One thing I thought long time ago was that really it is a shame to not to get the most of a card like CR now you play 8 fetch and likely adding a single C.R. instead of C.M. could be a good idea... but again you just loose speed...

I can say all master of the universe about TES thinks the same way...
    Even we all by here seem to discuss and disagree to death the reallity is that Typical lists vary from +1/-1 on Discard/C.Mox/B.Wish/Land in base from ones to others... YES Mr. B/My dear Lemnear/F.F. that's why -among other reasons - I find funny sometimes disccusions/disagreements with you all and company - I forgot the name shit - TankDiscussionMinds - joke - well maybe you FF dont belong to that...

Mine just has always been the same - I could say is like -1 Land +1discard from typical list at its simplest... sad but true guys!

From SDT banning/Grixis/4CC era and now ShitMiracles era I've not varied too much but my staples have been Decay/ET and varying from SE/IoK/DoubleTendrils/D.R. Sure I can handle XS but when played again Silence Experiment was mostly the same problem - just diff. angles. so no much change... but I enjoy at the same time XS as silence!

the base just changed from -1GM-1Fetch... sad.
    I really like as example changing my side! now I am toying with Infernal Contract! the other day as example i really like the way it worked for me...but there are also staples there...

Cards on te stack to test/try/funplay: Ground seal, DD (yees) because of next card: Act of Impulse! in 2nd games you just can add I.C/AoI then switch to grind UpTo2Lifes grindy mode!

i want to go back to my other pet deck DD with Conjurer's Bauble!!

Nobody ask for my list... snif... well done F.F.! someones just fall into oblivion... joke.

Please use proper capitalization and grammar in your posts. Thanks. -zilla
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

Suggestion: Play Magic as a Hobby. Competitiveness is uniquely usefull in this Era and just to evolve the human being to a certain extent...

1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Empty the Warrens
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Duress
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Swamp

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grape Shot
    1 Dark Petition
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Consign/Oblivion
    1 Massacre
    2 Chain of Vapour
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Bayou

There's no "secret sauce," I just prefer the consistent land drops, additional Burning Wish targets and Diminishing Returns over Telemin Performance right now. I don't find Island, Badlands and Xantid Swarms to be reliable, sometimes the Island and Badlands cause mulligan issues that Underground Sea and Volcanic Island wouldn't and Xantid Swarm exposes the manabase vs Wasteland where Thoughtseize doesn't. I believe these things come down to personal experience, as all of the cards serve equivalent functions regardless of which cards .
    I think that Badlands is way better than Volc post board in a lot of MUs.
    IMO the worst deck matchup right now is Grixis Delver and probably BUG. Cutting Island seems just wrong. With your list the only card you side in is TS, definetly worse than the 2nd EtW from stock list.
    Also I really dislike tutorable answers, they are slow in matchups where you want to be as fast as possible. I really like tutorable win conditions so Telemin Performance is pretty good.
    Xantid Swarm are not for wasteland decks but for S&T and Miracles, I don't think they are a flex slot right now, Miracles numbers are growing up because the deck is good and have a favourable Grixis Delver MU.

I think that Badlands is way better than Volc post board in a lot of MUs.
    IMO the worst deck matchup right now is Grixis Delver and probably BUG. Cutting Island seems just wrong. With your list the only card you side in is TS, definetly worse than the 2nd EtW from stock list.
    Also I really dislike tutorable answers, they are slow in matchups where you want to be as fast as possible. I really like tutorable win conditions so Telemin Performance is pretty good.
    Xantid Swarm are not for wasteland decks but for S&T and Miracles, I don't think they are a flex slot right now, Miracles numbers are growing up because the deck is good and have a favourable Grixis Delver MU.
    You're nitpicking the sideboard, running Xantid is not a necessity and the matchups you mentioned are perfectly winnable without it.

May 2008

Hi!
    I've been toying around with the idea of DD/AoI, and at its simplest there are some options:

beeing AoI and DD in side for 1st games:
    the common pile is having AoI in main: BW,LED,LED,GP,AoI, you just need: Cantrip+2R then U,
    the you can add more cantrips and/or IT to the equation and reduce mana costs: Ex.: Ponder+GP:, you just need: U! and the pile would be: BW,LED,LED,AoI,LED.

if these examples come from having AoI in base then you can use this strategy for 2nd and 3rd games, if not, then you have that path also but adding 1R to the mana cost.
    then you can have a hand like Ponder,GP,BW,Petal,RoF,D.R,Land and landed land and win. this is just an example of scenario but there are lots more!
    the important aspect is that you have lines with BW as a threat that do not go through GY/simetrical/LifeCost AND the manacosts just sometimes are ridiculous - you just can set up for DD with BW and just a GP + BBB2R is needed to win or BBBU with 1Cantrips+GP or BBBB1 with IT+GP...

One thing I like about AoI is that is perfectly castable and doesn't have impediments like IU or IC..., so adding 1 to the main even will increase speed.

well sure maybe this is nonsense... but i just like to try things to my inmutable TES deck... but having all these soo funny options at just the cost of 2 side slots... You know I'm very optimistic...

Opinions?
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

Thread Information