Page 430 of 446 FirstFirst ... 330380420426427428429430431432433434440 ... LastLast
Results 8,581 to 8,600 of 8918

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Bryant Cook

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Bryant Cook

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

It is nice to see that I agree with sukenik that to combat wasteland IT IS NOT NEEDED to have both - island and swamp. not even basics... (curiously by here I was telling backwards by other super TES storm pilots...)
    nice read!

EDIT: I dare to say: island is a bad card in TES.

EDIT2:
    I've been smashing all around here with my TES build lately... uniquely Dragon Stompy I loose sometimes hard.... and lost to ANT but that was bad luck - and I want to avoid this... just sometimes one has the nuts and sometimes not - I saw Extract and included not extract but Sadistic sacrament to see if it works... (Telemin can also works but prefer Bribery vs Renimate and sneak... and playing both seems nonsense)

and I've been thinking in just playing cards vs these kind of archetype (trini/chalice).... and changing to Grixis shell.
    What I find is that sometimes I find that uniquely siding in the 13rd land (really doesn't matter which land it is) is enough to win grixis/delvers and co... so I've been thinking in just change from 2 decay/2ET to 4ET directly.
    and now the question is: which 13th land would you play in side if no green is involved? I played bayou but really don't know which land I could play as 13th land in a 3gemstones 5 fetches 4 duals base... maybe 3rd USea or 1badlands? really don't know.

Note: Other storm partner has been involved in testing the Timewister in side and well it seems it is doing its job... in my last 3 local torunaments 1 of them I used it 2 times and was tempted to use it one more - my partner used it once and won that game.

I feel so good in this non senseis era.... smashing everibody... I wonder why I don't see more storm pilots doing well in torunaments...
    Last edited by Pelikanudo; 05-17-2018 at 07:31 AM.
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build
    Yes, I am advanced and you know it...

Suggestion: Play Magic as a Hobby. Competitiveness is uniquely usefull in this Era and just to evolve the human being to a certain extent...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelikanudo View Post
    I wonder why I don't see more storm pilots doing well in torunaments...
    I don't bother posting when I do well in locals anymore, because nobody really cares, and there's not enough big events.

New TES Matchup Battles - Maverick

https://theepicstorm.com/tes-matchup-battles-maverick/

Thanks for reading!

- Alex Poling

I can make this pencil disappear.

Jul 2006
    Santa Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by Polski_ View Post
    New TES Matchup Battles - Maverick

https://theepicstorm.com/tes-matchup-battles-maverick/

Thanks for reading!

- Alex Poling
    Nice article. Here's what I would do:

Play: LP, LP, DR, LED, CoV(targeting KotR), GS (1 @ MoR, 2 @ Teeg, 3 @ opp), IT (break LED) -> EtW, ETW (16 gobbs)

I don't think Ad Nauseam from 7 is very likely considering you have 2 petals and an LED in your hand already; I'd take my chances with goblins.

Hmm, the other option is leading with Ponder and if you hit a LED or DR you can just kill him, and if you don't you can still do the above (minus bouncing KotR). This is probably better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    For example, if your friend steals your ice cream cone, and you start chasing him only to have a large weretiger jump out from behind a parked car and go "ROAR" in your face, only to then have said weretiger be struck by a bolt of lightning and be reduced to a smoldering catpile, you are probably going to be like "Wtf just happened" for at least a few brief moments while your friend escapes with your ice cream cone. And if you aren't distracted, you have Trample.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocide View Post
    Nice article. Here's what I would do:

Play: LP, LP, DR, LED, CoV(targeting KotR), GS (1 @ MoR, 2 @ Teeg, 3 @ opp), IT (break LED) -> EtW, ETW (16 gobbs)

I don't think Ad Nauseam from 7 is very likely considering you have 2 petals and an LED in your hand already; I'd take my chances with goblins.

Hmm, the other option is leading with Ponder and if you hit a LED or DR you can just kill him, and if you don't you can still do the above (minus bouncing KotR). This is probably better.
    In the second scenario, can't you win guaranteed with the following line?
    Lotus Petal (S1)
    Lotus Petal (S2)
    Tap Lands (S2, UB)
    Chain Petal, Sac Land (S3, B)
    Chain Teeg (S3, B)
    Lotus Petal (S4, B)
    Lotus Petal (S5, B)
    Dark Ritual (S6 BBB)
    Lion's Eye Diamond (S7, BBB)
    Tutor, Crack All Rocks (S8, BBBBRR)
    Burning Wish (S9, BBBB)
    Tendrils of Agony (S10)

I can make this pencil disappear.

Jul 2006
    Santa Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post
    In the second scenario, can't you win guaranteed with the following line?
    Lotus Petal (S1)
    Lotus Petal (S2)
    Tap Lands (S2, UB)
    Chain Teeg (S3, B)
    Lotus Petal (S4, B)
    Lotus Petal (S5, B)
    Dark Ritual (S6 BBB)
    Lion's Eye Diamond (S7, BBB)
    Tutor, Crack All Rocks (S8, BBBBRR)
    Burning Wish (S9, BBBB)
    Tendrils of Agony (S10)
    Ahh that's much better than my line; I forgot about the alternate mode on CoV (i.e. generate storm).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    For example, if your friend steals your ice cream cone, and you start chasing him only to have a large weretiger jump out from behind a parked car and go "ROAR" in your face, only to then have said weretiger be struck by a bolt of lightning and be reduced to a smoldering catpile, you are probably going to be like "Wtf just happened" for at least a few brief moments while your friend escapes with your ice cream cone. And if you aren't distracted, you have Trample.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocide View Post
    Ahh that's much better than my line; I forgot about the alternate mode on CoV (i.e. generate storm).
    Yeah, you can kinda think of it like Remand in Modern storm; it's a good, mana-efficient way to manage a threat, but then you can also sneak in a win with it now and again.

In other topics, I'm testing a list right now without Dark Petition. I haven't been Wishing for it at all, and siding out a Tutor for at least one extra EtW is a common enough thing for me against the BUx tempo/midrange decks that I haven't really felt the absence of Petition. 9 mana is also really demanding in combo matchups, so using Wish for something like Bribery has been faring better for me. I'm still tinkering with the exact replacement slot, but has anyone else been considering a SB without Petition?

Yeah, you can kinda think of it like Remand in Modern storm; it's a good, mana-efficient way to manage a threat, but then you can also sneak in a win with it now and again.

In other topics, I'm testing a list right now without Dark Petition. I haven't been Wishing for it at all, and siding out a Tutor for at least one extra EtW is a common enough thing for me against the BUx tempo/midrange decks that I haven't really felt the absence of Petition. 9 mana is also really demanding in combo matchups, so using Wish for something like Bribery has been faring better for me. I'm still tinkering with the exact replacement slot, but has anyone else been considering a SB without Petition?
    Haven't really played with Dark Petition at all this year, personally I like Diminishing Returns in that slot more because it's good against most of the decks that Empty the Warrens isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Haven't really played with Dark Petition at all this year, personally I like Diminishing Returns in that slot more because it's good against most of the decks that Empty the Warrens isn't.
    I'm currently thinking in about the same way, I've been rotating out Grapeshot and Petition and testing to see which combination of 2 from Telemin/Dim Ret/Bribery might serve the deck better. I think Diminishing Returns + Bribery might provide the most utility, so you can swing in with a good 6-/7-mana haymaker with any of your 8 tutor effects against most of the field.

May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

@wonderPreaux and FF:
    yeah, long time ago I took out DP...
    it is just not as efficient as I thought.. I always tend to think in terms of mana efficiency. in regards of engines.. and DP just does not worth it... becuase:
    a) if you BW it with the idea to be played on next turn, then you need to pay the tough 5 mana it costs
    b) if you use BW the same turn yu want to play it it is just 9 mana and absolutly needs LED.

I just suggest you to test Days Undoing. I lateley have been playing more times this card than DR even! I play Bribery also. and lately I've been testing Sadistic sacrament to just have better odds vs ANT as I exposed before as I'm seeing this match up as a straight 50% where just sometimes they have the nuts or backwards and want to avoid this... still not feedback on this anyway...

Apart: I think I am going to play a Grixis configuration and just say good bye by the moment to Decay - just 4 ET. and about the 13th land in the side, I think I am going to try Swamp. suggestions on 13th land in side are welcome - I do know I want a 13th land but really don't know which and also don't mind much which it will be...

@Dr_D: yeah! who cares... I just play for the sake of fun...
    the other day I played a local in modern and played - dont know if you know the deck it is called the Gridfather - well I reached turns and I was going to win on turn 3 with Tezz the seeker ultimate -5 and on turn 2 opp plays Repeal - well a friend was looking at the game and - we all know it was 2nd turn - and opp.said it was 4th turn - I just said to opp it was 2nd turn and my fellow insisted - I just didnt mind and agreed it was 4th turn - what I mean is that who cares who wins or gets good results- for me the funny thing is just trying things and see if they work or not and -man I spend a good time both demonstrating things work and backwards! I just likely play MTG and I take it seriously too little...

do you think my english gets better?
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

Suggestion: Play Magic as a Hobby. Competitiveness is uniquely usefull in this Era and just to evolve the human being to a certain extent...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelikanudo View Post
    @wonderPreaux and FF:
    yeah, long time ago I took out DP...
    it is just not as efficient as I thought.. I always tend to think in terms of mana efficiency. in regards of engines.. and DP just does not worth it... becuase:
    a) if you BW it with the idea to be played on next turn, then you need to pay the tough 5 mana it costs
    b) if you use BW the same turn yu want to play it it is just 9 mana and absolutly needs LED.

I just suggest you to test Days Undoing. I lateley have been playing more times this card than DR even! I play Bribery also. and lately I've been testing Sadistic sacrament to just have better odds vs ANT as I exposed before as I'm seeing this match up as a straight 50% where just sometimes they have the nuts or backwards and want to avoid this... still not feedback on this anyway...

Apart: I think I am going to play a Grixis configuration and just say good bye by the moment to Decay - just 4 ET. and about the 13th land in the side, I think I am going to try Swamp. suggestions on 13th land in side are welcome - I do know I want a 13th land but really don't know which and also don't mind much which it will be...
    Idk that I'd want Day's Undoing, I can't think of a single deck I'd feel comfortable passing the turn to. The particular issues I'm hoping Diminishing Returns can solve are issues where I'm trying to win right away, usually where the Wish > DP > Ad Nauseam line is too pressured to be practical, which is what led to me dropping DP from my sideboard. For example:

Post-Board Lands: Telemin, which was my DR slot before, is too chancy for this when they can just main a single Tireless Tracker. Moreover, 9 mana is hard to come by while dealing with Port/Waste and answering/racing Thorns. Additionally, Rotating in Bojuka is a real thing against Spell Mastery.
    Post-Board Elves: Similar problem, the discard can slow you down to the point where the DRS machine-gun can put Ad Nauseam and PiF in an awkward state. Again, this isn't something to pass the turn on, this is something to try and give Wishes the ability to take the game.

May 2008

Idk that I'd want Day's Undoing, I can't think of a single deck I'd feel comfortable passing the turn to.
    well, I don't think is bad to pass the turn if it is turn 1 or turn 2 and prior to this you've done your stuff. I tend to think on this card more like a BS EoT to win next turn or a setup Ponder to win on next turn. just think on this card as a setup card which serves to win you on next turn.

The particular issues I'm hoping Diminishing Returns can solve are issues where I'm trying to win right away, usually where the Wish > DP > Ad Nauseam line is too pressured to be practical, which is what led to me dropping DP from my sideboard. For example:
    the reality is that with DR and having 3 mana left you are about 65% win rate, less than 3 mana is much likely to not to occur, but still an out - pass the turn and win next one. with DP means likely more odds to win having exact the same mana left (6+3) - the good thing I find about DR is that you can BW for DR and play it next turn (avoiding 2 mana - in here DP is a little worse just because it is +1 more mana but casting DP makes you win more likely than DR having left 3mana) to win on the spot - but then we are again in the same position as DU - which is mainly its purpose - land CM, a land play DU 1st turn and pass the turn to win on next turn.

Post-Board Lands: Telemin, which was my DR slot before, is too chancy for this when they can just main a single Tireless Tracker. Moreover, 9 mana is hard to come by while dealing with Port/Waste and answering/racing Thorns. Additionally, Rotating in Bojuka is a real thing against Spell Mastery.
    Post-Board Elves: Similar problem, the discard can slow you down to the point where the DRS machine-gun can put Ad Nauseam and PiF in an awkward state. Again, this isn't something to pass the turn on, this is something to try and give Wishes the ability to take the game.
    [/QUOTE]

well, those match ups are in deed not a problem for TES. so I really do not find them a reason to play DR or other card - but sure DR will improve those!

I am thinking in DU as a different card. and now - once I've proved its potential - I am evaluating other possibilities with this card. as example - next torunament I'll try a 4 CM/11 lands build just to potentiate those Turn1/2 DU. because DU makes you faster - sure you won't win on this same turn - but almost guarranties a next turn very good setup. and well the card advanage DU provides can be huge.

for your particular case I really think you don't have any problem and the possible fixes likely are just worse configurations - for example moving an IT to the side or play IGG...

as said, still more testing needs to be done to see if finally DU is a card to have in mind.

Apart,
    @F.F.: please join to me in testing DU!!!
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

I'm using Dimishing Returns and have no interest in testing a pass the turn D7, considering the deck has 4 Empty the Warrens I'd rather see goblins on the board immediately - no reason to pass on 4+ storm and X life for 1 mana IMO.

May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    I'm using Dimishing Returns and have no interest in testing a pass the turn D7, considering the deck has 4 Empty the Warrens I'd rather see goblins on the board immediately - no reason to pass on 4+ storm and X life for 1 mana IMO.
    I really am lazy to expose arguments. so it is fine.
    I am using DU in 1st or 2nd turn uniquely (really don't see scenarios where it is worth to play this card from 3rd turn up, but sure there will occur...) - DU is a different card than DR - as said I do also play DR. it is a quick setup card.
    the thing I do not understand is that it is just 1 card in side that provide insane plays in 1st 2nd turn. it is much better to have this instead of 4th EtW which are mainly for Grixis (math up where I don't bother in adding even more than 1 side card...)

as said my next level test is 4 CM just to see how much potential has this card, I've dimissed other cards but really believe this has potential...
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

Bryant Cook

May 2008

Hi guys,

I'd like to know your impressions about:

[M19] Amulet of Safekeeping

(likely the same as me...)

my beliefs are:
    well I just prefer to cast AN under this than under chalice, thorn, null rod, MM, etc.
    BUT,
    well this is a card that handles both EtW and Tendrils at the same time.

I don't think Chalice decks will play this card instead of thorn/chalice/trini - it would be a hell if they start playing the card in adition to those cards.
    but my concern is if grixis/4CC start playing this card - not likely to see this in these builds as I just think it could be a Toxic or Fluster or null rod slot for them. but the scenario again will be: still prefer they to have in hand this card instead of null rod / fluster.

I think I will gain very few value from my already existing SS in my side - but this is my anti artifact card and likely a must if I see this card from opp. sides.

I anyway think that if WoC realeases a 2 artifact colorless card that reads: Storm players can't win and spells to play cost 10 mana more. we still will win ;)
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

It does less than Stifle, and people don’t even use that. Even as a permant based hate card in BUG at 2cc, what does it do in any match up besides Storm?

Thread Information