Page 269 of 446 FirstFirst ... 169219259265266267268269270271272273279319369 ... LastLast
Results 5,361 to 5,380 of 8918

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

great,was there any goblin fight between you and your belcher-opponents?

Jan 2014
    Spain

Hi there!

Despite I'm new here, I've been playing TES for some years. I don't know if you have seen the m15 spoiler, but there's a card that seems interesting. I'm going to test it, but I'm looking forward to hear your opinions. What do you think about Act on Impulse?

http://mythicspoiler.com/m15/cards/actonimpulse.html

It could be a little storm engine if we play Brainstorm or Ponder to put on the top a tutor and LED, Dark Ritual,... I'll run 1 in sb and then I'll tell you how it's going.

Regards.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by anakyn View Post
    Congratulations
    Seems like you won every hard matchup (BUG, Miracle) and lost to the only deck which is faster than TES (Belcher).

Do you plan to write a report?
    I don't plan on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sawatarix View Post
    great,was there any goblin fight between you and your belcher-opponents?
    Sadly, there wasn't, mostly be just getting Belch'd in the face on turn one a lot. I wish I was half as lucky as the two that beat me (They had some disgusting top decks).

Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Boghald View Post
    Hi there!

Despite I'm new here, I've been playing TES for some years. I don't know if you have seen the m15 spoiler, but there's a card that seems interesting. I'm going to test it, but I'm looking forward to hear your opinions. What do you think about Act on Impulse?

It could be a little storm engine if we play Brainstorm or Ponder to put on the top a tutor and LED, Dark Ritual,... I'll run 1 in sb and then I'll tell you how it's going.

Regards.
    If you want to play a 3 mana draw spell you might as well play cruel bargain/infernal contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Boghald View Post
    Hi there!

Regards.
    Infernal Contract, Meditate or Ideas Unbound are miles better than Act on Impulse. If you are seriously want an engine to build around Brainstorm + Wish, you need to look at Reforge the Souls. In rhe end, none of those is worth a slot
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=69800

11th is not too bad. That sideboard though, seams a touch light on cards.
    Seems that it's been corrected.

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

@Bryant:

Good job Bryant!

I'd like to ask:

a) how did you side vs Miracles? maybe: -1C.M.,-2C.R.,-1Ponder,-1EtW=+3A.Decay+1Tropical+1Grapeshot?
    b) how did you side vs BUG Tempo? maybe -1Duress=+1T.Seize?
    c) did you encounter any scenario in which you needed to use A.Decay vs c.b. or Senseis in order to win in 2nd match up vs Miracles?
    d) How usefull was C.R. vs BUG Tempo?
    e) it seems that you netiher have any issue vs D&T in 1st game, seems that C.R. instead of I.T and C.M wasnt taking out speed... how C.R. was in here if you drew it? that match up was one reason to leave c.m. and i.t. main... I would like to know how the games were develped in here... sure CoV will come in but Im more inclined that maybe the MAssacre route was used in some game maybe... playing 3 c.m. and 4th i.t. I even encountered sometimes problems vs D&T...

Thanks!
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build
    Yes, I am advanced and you know it...

Suggestion: Play Magic as a Hobby. Competitiveness is uniquely usefull in this Era and just to evolve the human being to a certain extent...

Decision Points and Mindbreak Trap

Hey guys, just wanted to get some input on some general strategy questions:

Against an unknown opponent, if you have the choice between cantripping and playing a discard spell, which do you lead with? Now, this is under the assumption that this is a hand where its unlikely you can just cantrip into a t1 combo, the cantrip would be setting up for the next turn(s). It's also assuming no Gitaxian Probes, obviously, I suppose you could just compare Duress vs Ponder, for simplicity. Against a combo deck, like Tin Fins or Belcher, I hate when they just go off on their turn when I had the opportunity to Duress them, but on the other side I could see how blowing a discard spell early against a control deck like Stoneblade may be bad value.

The other point of discussion I wanted to mention was Mindbreak Trap. Now, I don't actually like the card, I think it's pretty bad in a lot of the decks that sb it, but I've been running into it a lot on MTGO and wanted to know if I'm going about playing around it the right way. I'm of the opinion that if I can scout or discard the Mindbreak Trap, then fine, great for me. However, I think it makes sense to just try for the fastest combo as possible anyway, Trap or not, because Thalia/Eidolon/Thoughtseize are all regular and guaranteed threats, whereas Mindbreak Trap might not even be in their sb. Sorta like the OP mentions going in against a possible FoW that an opponent might have, the odds are in my favor to just go for it and waiting just lets all their fairer cards catch up to me.

Sadly, I've lost my last few matches against Elves/Goblins because I magically lose the ability to find discard spells when they board in Traps, but thats neither here nor there. I'd appreciate some feedback on these scenarios.

Re: Decision Points and Mindbreak Trap

Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post

Against an unknown opponent, if you have the choice between cantripping and playing a discard spell, which do you lead with? Now, this is under the assumption that this is a hand where its unlikely you can just cantrip into a t1 combo, the cantrip would be setting up for the next turn(s). It's also assuming no Gitaxian Probes, obviously, I suppose you could just compare Duress vs Ponder, for simplicity. Against a combo deck, like Tin Fins or Belcher, I hate when they just go off on their turn when I had the opportunity to Duress them, but on the other side I could see how blowing a discard spell early against a control deck like Stoneblade may be bad value.

The other point of discussion I wanted to mention was Mindbreak Trap. Now, I don't actually like the card, I think it's pretty bad in a lot of the decks that sb it, but I've been running into it a lot on MTGO and wanted to know if I'm going about playing around it the right way. I'm of the opinion that if I can scout or discard the Mindbreak Trap, then fine, great for me. However, I think it makes sense to just try for the fastest combo as possible anyway, Trap or not, because Thalia/Eidolon/Thoughtseize are all regular and guaranteed threats, whereas Mindbreak Trap might not even be in their sb. Sorta like the OP mentions going in against a possible FoW that an opponent might have, the odds are in my favor to just go for it and waiting just lets all their fairer cards catch up to me.

Sadly, I've lost my last few matches against Elves/Goblins because I magically lose the ability to find discard spells when they board in Traps, but thats neither here nor there. I'd appreciate some feedback on these scenarios.
    Unless you're trying to discard hate (Chalice, etc.) then you typically want to cast your discard as close to your combo turn as possible in order to remove the chance they have a counter waiting for you when you go off.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Unless you are playing in Berlin where you know that 1/3 of the players are on storm and another 1/3 pilot Miracles, you'd cast turn 1 Ponder on the play 100% of the time. On the draw this is a whole different Story as your opponent gave you already free information by his/her play so you can decide if it's wise to cast a Duress or make an educated Therapy guess. The rule of thumb remains to cast your discard close to your combo turn against control.

Mindbreak Trap is absolutely no threat if it comes alone. TES' usual problem appears if MBT is paired with another angle of disruption like hatebears (like in D&T) or discard (Elves 4 example). In that scenarios the probability that your opponent holds a MBT is far less than having a Hatebear and if you can try to win before a Thalia, Canonist or whatever comes down, do it. MBT is a card I usually blind-call with Therapy against non-blue decks (sans MUD) if I have the Chance/time/mana/go for goblins.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010
    Isla de luzón de filipinas

RE: Unknown Opponent

I’d do cantrip first. I’d save my discard spell in proctecting my win.
    If he has a turn one kill, then be it.

RE: Mindbreak Trap
    If you’re sensing that he uses Mindbreak Trap as his SB against you, then save your disrupt spells for it. Massacre / Grapeshot can take care of his hatebear dudes.
    TJB

http://deartiyopaeng.blogspot.com/ <---- (updated) MTG related blog. ^_^

TES: 102nd out of 2000 players at GP Kyoto 2015 (Legacy)

UR Storm: 37th of 950 players at GP Guangzhou 2016 (Modern)

Hello- I'm a longtime lurker and first time poster. I've been playing TES for about two years and am consider myself a proficient pilot. I'll be taking it to Dallas in August for a SCG Lately I've been seeing some talk of Sensei's Top in ANT lists, and given how the line between TES and ANT is becoming more blurred as Cabal Rituals are beginning to return in some number, has anyone tried dropping a Ponder for a Top? I get that TES is faster and more explosive than ANT, whereas ANT favors the T3-4 kill, and I get that top isn't known for its speed, but a reusable filter that can cantrip and synergizes well with fetches seems like it might have a place to try. I see that it's been tried in the past, but as the list has changed, is it time to revisit this card, if only as a singleton in place of a Ponder?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonclaw View Post
    Hello- I'm a longtime lurker and first time poster. I've been playing TES for about two years and am consider myself a proficient pilot. I'll be taking it to Dallas in August for a SCG Lately I've been seeing some talk of Sensei's Top in ANT lists, and given how the line between TES and ANT is becoming more blurred as Cabal Rituals are beginning to return in some number, has anyone tried dropping a Ponder for a Top? I get that TES is faster and more explosive than ANT, whereas ANT favors the T3-4 kill, and I get that top isn't known for its speed, but a reusable filter that can cantrip and synergizes well with fetches seems like it might have a place to try. I see that it's been tried in the past, but as the list has changed, is it time to revisit this card, if only as a singleton in place of a Ponder?
    Even ANT isn't replacing a Ponder with it but only a Preordain, a card which is often a boarding/filler slot anyways. The Filter of SDT is maybe even less relevant because TES has a higher business density than ANT ... aside the whole point you already made about the core gameplan

Join us at Facebook!

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

While it is reusable, it costs too much mana to use over the course of the game AND it does not net you a card for your trouble. The deck is also (in base configuration) light on fetches to shuffle. Top does not sing to me. I am sure others will put it more elegantly, but to me, no. Not something I would run. Slow, expensive and not really as abusedable as it is in decks with more lands.

Beaten to the punch.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Nov 2011
    Madrid (Spain)

not a gread playing a top of a gemstone to take a took on your second turn and then get the land blown up for having just maked a bad ponder and a duress.
    not?

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Unless you are playing in Berlin where you know that 1/3 of the players are on storm and another 1/3 pilot Miracles
    Sounds hardcore. I'd better not bring a knife to a gunfight then...

On Sensei's top. Even with a singleton you're not likely to see it in any given match-up. As others said, tough sell with Gemstone Mine and in a deck that tries to go off as early as possible (T1 goblins vs. D&T/Maverick after they board in 2,000 hate bears is the BEST feeling in the world...)
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Plague Sliver View Post
    Sounds hardcore. I'd better not bring a knife to a gunfight then...
    Yeah, taking Zoo with you for your trip might backfire badly ;D

Join us at Facebook!

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Yeah, taking Zoo with you for your trip might backfire badly ;D
    Trying to think what deck crushes both Storm AND Miracles...

12 hate bears.dec with 4x MD Gaddock Teeg? (joking)

Drawing a blank. Nothing, really. It does sound like some REAL Magic is being played in Berlin, then.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Drawing a blank. Nothing, really. It does sound like some REAL Magic is being played in Berlin, then.
    Pretty sure Angel Stompy would perform well against both of those decks. List here, along with a memorable tournament report (not mine):
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...th-M0AT_ST0MPY

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

12-Post MUD

Join us at Facebook!

Thread Information