Page 10 of 446 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    That's me. On the way home right now. I'll write something up later, but briefly:

Reanimator, 2-1
    UR Delver, 2-0
    Burn, 1-2
    RUG Tempo, 1-2
    Burn, 2-0
    43 Land, 2-0
    12-Post, 2-0
    Aggro Loam, 2-0
    Fuck yeah. Congrats. What happened against Burn? Couldn't get there with AdN?

Quote Originally Posted by DrHealex View Post
    I would express great sympathy for any poor girl that would have been named Kirby and not have commited suicide as soon as they were able.
    Fuck that dude. Did you take 11th at an SCG? No.
    Also, Super Smash Brother is awesome.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Bryant Cook

Fixed.
    Kirby Kaufman

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Fuck yeah. Congrats. What happened against Burn? Couldn't get there with AdN?
    I played against Burt, who top eighted. He's a friend from Omaha.

Game one I safely used an Iggy-loop. He had blanks in hand and sorceries in the yard.

During game two, I couldn't get hellbent for the life of me. He landed a Pyrostatic Pillar, and I couldn't recover. I had Echoing Truth because I knew his board before hand.

Game three, I mulled to four and saw double Pyrostatic Pillar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Indeed. Either way, congrats. TES hasn't been getting nearly enough attention these days. Its good against quite a bit of the DTB right now. If Temporal Mastery doesn't wreck Legacy (it won't) then I'd expect TES to making a big come back in the days to come.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

I'll have a report up later tonight. Probably gonna write while I do some TO stuff at my LGS tonight.
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.

Indeed. Either way, congrats. TES hasn't been getting nearly enough attention these days. Its good against quite a bit of the DTB right now. If Temporal Mastery doesn't wreck Legacy (it won't) then I'd expect TES to making a big come back in the days to come.
    TES has always been one of the best decks if not the best deck, but people often consider it too boring (because of the so-called lack of interaction) or too difficult to play, and/or weaker than it actually is. I'm not expecting TES to make a big comeback, but it would definitely deserve it.

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010
    Isla de luzón de filipinas

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Yes. This is what popped out of my mind when I saw Kirby's name in the list

*huh Kirby playing storm?! AWESOME!*

Kidding aside, congrats Kirby!
    Hopefully I'll make it to the Top in the upcoming April 22nd Legacy Tournament here in Manila.

Im expecting a meta full of: RUG, UR, UW, BANT, dredge, RDW, reanimators and mavs.
    Any tips there guys ;-)
    thanks
    TJB

http://deartiyopaeng.blogspot.com/ <---- (updated) MTG related blog. ^_^

TES: 102nd out of 2000 players at GP Kyoto 2015 (Legacy)

UR Storm: 37th of 950 players at GP Guangzhou 2016 (Modern)

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Anyone else think Wipe Away just really sucks right now? As of late, it's been my least favorite sideboard card.

Obviously a meta choice, but I think it'd be stronger as something else right now. Not sure what though.

We cut Krosan Grip, might be time to cut Wipe Away.

Also if I had three or more lands against RUG Tempo at any given moment, odds are I wasn't losing that game.

With six post board discard effects, it's easily discarded.

Mother of Runes + Hatebear isn't reason enough for me.

Wipe Away isn't an all star by any stretch... but cutting it for a bounce spell that costs 1 or 2 puts you at an awkward place sometimes vs CB or Chalice.
    Swim, Bike, Run, MTG

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by leegoo View Post
    Wipe Away isn't an all star by any stretch... but cutting it for a bounce spell that costs 1 or 2 puts you at an awkward place sometimes vs CB or Chalice.
    If someone lands a chalice at two, we're probably losing anyway. We can't wish for Shattering Spree. And our only hopes of winning are some wonky ritual chains that flop into an Ad Nauseam revealing Tendrils.

Yes, Wipe Away is an out to Counterbalance, but the current decks that play it don't have many twos to flip to counter Echoing Truth.

And drawing a miser's 3cc bounce spell doesn't seem too great against decks that are some how landing a chalice for two against us.

Loves Witchcraft. <3
    Oct 2010

Wipe Away is the only bounce spell that can help against Mother of Runes + Hatebear. Infest sure do does help, but you have to tutor Infest, pass turn. Play Infest, pass turn and hope that there won't be another Ethersworn Canonist. I myself have been really happy with Wipe Away with my limited testing. :-)

Feb 2012
    Northwest

Played TES again at the local tourney last night. Quick report -

Round 1 (vs a Modern W/U Token deck):
    Game 1 - Not much of a contest, he tried to get going and I went off on turn two with a Tendrils for about 24.
    Game 2 - I decided to try out the Inquisitions since it seemed that I didn't need the Chants. Not sure I made the right call. My opening hand wasn't great so I punted with a turn 2 Tendrils for 16 to buy me some time since he was coming out really fast. I was down to 2 by the time I put together the rest of it to Grapeshot him for 4 and end the game.
    (1-0)

Round 2 (vs U/W Control):
    Game 1 - He had a lot of counters and I drew like a chump.
    Game 2 - I came out swinging with a turn 2 Chant, then Tendrils for lethal.
    Game 3 - He drops a Leyline from his opening hand and I can't find the bounce I boarded in and die to counters keeping me from doing much since I can't Chant or Duress him.
    (1-1)

Round 3 (vs Mono W Lifegain):
    Game 1 - He comes out of the gate gaining a ton of life. I have to Grapeshot to clear the board, then Tedrils him back to a reasonable life total, all in one turn. A littel while later I manage to Tendrils for lethal.
    Game 2 - He mulls down to 5, I assumed searching for a Leyline. I turn 1 Duress him seeing a lot of lands and 2 dudes. After he drops a few dudes, I Grapeshot his board away and sculpt for a bit before I Tendrils for lethal.
    (2-1)

Round 4 (vs U/G something) (I say something because I didn't see much of it):
    Game 1 - With him on the play and me seeing blue mana on the board I turn 1 sculpt. Turn 2 was bloody, I Chant him and then Tendrils for lethal. The only thing I saw out of his deck was 2 U/G fetches that fetched U/G duals, so I really have no clue what I'm facing.
    Game 2 - He mulls loking for that Leyline and doesn't see it. So he mulls again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, down to 1 card. I'm looking at opening an hand of Lotus Petal, Rite, Rite, Ritual, Ritual, Burning Wish, Chrome Mox. He was on the play so he passes turn with his single card in hand and I turn 1 Empty for 10 Goblins. Not much of a game and I still have no clue what he was playing.
    (3-1)

I ended up 5th on tie breakers since the one round loss I had ended up going 2-2. It never fails that I brick against someone who places low. I'm either 1st or 5th.

Thoughts on choices I made; I liked the Inquisitions against a few decks but honestly the meta on this night didn't call for them. I played like crap facing a Leyline, not thinking things through. I need to get better there. The problem is what to do when you can't Chant or Duress your opponent and he gets to hide behind the Leyline and his counters and keep you from bouncing the Leyline. I tried to go Empty for the win but he was able to counter me before I could get going.

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

Fuck that dude. Did you take 11th at an SCG? No.
    Also, Super Smash Brother is awesome.
    Actually I did take 11th at a SCG, no my name is not Kirby, and yes the Nintendo character Kirby is awesome.

My post was regarding the absurd implication that the name Kirby was unisexual. There is nothing wrong with the name Kirby for a guy. Well... Maybe except for the fact that the 2 most prominent associations to that name are both known for their SUCKING ability (Kirby the nintento character, and Kirby the Vacuum Cleaner). Congrats btw :p

Has there ever been discussion about moving from 2 ET, 1 Wipe away, to 1 CoV, 1 ET, 1 Wipe away? are the benefits of ET just that much better than CoV in the matchups where you want the bounce?

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Opponent has Chalice of the Void at 0 and 1 in play.

Echoing Truth beats it. Chain of Vapor doesn't.

I don't see any real reason to play Chain of Vapor over Echoing Truth.

Opponent has Chalice of the Void at 0 and 1 in play.

Echoing Truth beats it. Chain of Vapor doesn't.

I don't see any real reason to play Chain of Vapor over Echoing Truth.
    Because you see 50 copies of Thalia for every 1 copy of Chalice of the Void?
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

I'm playing 3x Echoing Truth on my sideboard, because Dredge is very common in my meta, because I hate running lots of singletons in the maindeck (with this, I mean that I side them in and then they're in my deck; singletons are okay when they're in the sideboard and left there just for wishing purposes) and because I don't currently own any CoVs or Wipe Aways (but getting them wouldn't be a problem if they were that much better).

Aug 2010
    Seattle, WA

I hate wipe away so much. I have moved to a 2 /1 split on truth/chain (favor depends on the week) most of the time it's chain over truth.

Flipping a wipe away to an ad nauseum is also one of the worst feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Because you see 50 copies of Thalia for every 1 copy of Chalice of the Void?
    A thousand times this. Chalice isn't much of a concern for me at all, and at the GP I regretted running echoing truth and not chain of vapor, as chalice decks are very rare at GPs and such. The decks to beat for us are maverick, where chain of vapor shines, RUG, and other random permanent hate decks where you want cmc 1 bounce because it is the cheapest.

Also, I wouldn't even board echoing truth against dredge. You chant walk them until you win or you just goldfish them on turn 2. You aren't the control deck against dredge, you're the "I'm going to kill you as fast as possible" deck in the matchup. And echoing truth does nothing against therapies ripping your hand to shreds. And echoing truth deals 2 off of ad nauseam, while chant/discard deals 1.

I also hate flipping wipe away off of ad nauseam, and even when I draw it before I combo the card is typically bad as I have to jump through hoops to cast it with its 1UU casting cost, especially when I have to use a lotus petal or something to make the mana necessary. And wasteland is far too powerful against wipe away for my tastes, as your opponent drawing double wasteland or even one just shuts down wipe away unless you draw into lots of lands.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

So my friend and I have been testing for an up and coming SCG event. He's playing Reanimator and I and playing T.E.S.. Upon testing the sideboard I find that I want Virtue's Ruin over Infest only when an equipment spell is play with the hate bear. Can anyone else share their experiences with infest vs Virtue's Ruin I agree that Infest is better overall but there are certain situations that Virtue's Ruin go's over the top.

Thread Information