Page 11 of 446 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    So my friend and I have been testing for an up and coming SCG event. He's playing Reanimator and I and playing T.E.S.. Upon testing the sideboard I find that I want Virtue's Ruin over Infest only when an equipment spell is play with the hate bear. Can anyone else share their experiences with infest vs Virtue's Ruin I agree that Infest is better overall but there are certain situations that Virtue's Ruin go's over the top.
    If you let them play an equipment, you probably punted.

@Emidln, Dark Ritual, everyone else: With my luck, I run into Chalice way more based on variance than I do Thalia. Think we have enough to deal with the latter and not the former. I just hate Wipe Away. Necessary evil? Mostly likely :/

Edit: Would it be a good time to revisit Defense Grid against tempo decks? Saying RUG is arguably our worst match up among tier one decks. Spell Snare. I know. Probably a shitty idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

May 2011
    Louisiana

The chant effects seem to be better than defense grids in most situations.

Aug 2010
    Colorado, bitches!

Defense grid has been the stone kold nuts for me.

My board plan vs. RUG has been:

-1 Ad naus
    -1 Chrome Mox
    -1 Infernal Tutor
    -1 Duress
    -1 Ponder

+2 Defense Grid
    +1 Past in Flames
    +2 Pyroblast

Defense grid basically invalidates RUG's entire deck. I board in the PIF since I often go off with low life. With 5 chants and 2 grid, I can still wish -> IGG if I don't have the setup for PIF.

Also: Reanimator has always been the toughest MU for TES (atleast in my mind).

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    Edit: Would it be a good time to revisit Defense Grid against tempo decks? Saying RUG is arguably our worst match up among tier one decks. Spell Snare. I know. Probably a shitty idea.
    I don't believe so. Between Snares/Pierce/Daze etc. I don't see it resolving, it's a lot invested in a card that can be ignored too. I'm happy with Inquisitions.

I have a slightly updated list that will be released sometime after this weekend.

Just now looking into the Des Moines tournament. So much RUG... Congrats on getting as far as you did, as the meta didn't seem too favorable for TES. Though, RUG seems to be skimping a bit on counters and I don't really see much hate in their side either. Maybe one deck running the Counterbalance package... Good stuff.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Just now looking into the Des Moines tournament. So much RUG... Congrats on getting as far as you did, as the meta didn't seem too favorable for TES. Though, RUG seems to be skimping a bit on counters and I don't really see much hate in their side either. Maybe one deck running the Counterbalance package... Good stuff.
    I was paired against the version playing countertop in the swiss.

The meta was quite favorable actually. There were plenty of decks that couldn't interact with me. Maverick was lightly represented, though one snuck into the top eight.

Many of the RUG Tempo decks finally cut Snapcaster Mage and added 4 Stifle, which I've advocated since the printing of Delver.
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

There's a Miracle Wheel of Fortune. 3RR Sorcery, miracle cost is 1R.

Obvious comparisons are to Diminishing Returns (good enough as a Burning Wish target), and Time Reversal (not good enough). As a Wish target, this costs full price unless you get really tricky. Maindeck, there's the obvious Ad Nauseam problem.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by joemauer View Post
    And?
    Awful. Want's a better mana base and probably SDT.

Might as well be running Marsh Goblins.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Keep in mind you can Brainstorm into it and cast it on the opponents turn. Pretty tech if you can set that up somehow.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

It'll be interesting to compare the casting cost requirements, 3RR vs 2UU despite being more costly may be more convenient considering you can cast it with Rite of Flame(s) and without Lion's Eye Diamond, and you also discard and draw 7 cards instead of reshuffling your hand and graveyard together, RFGing 10 cards and possibly removing Tendrils of Agony and then drawing 7 cards so any Rite of Flames you used to cast Reforge the Soul are left in the graveyard empowering additional Rite of Flames and you'll never have to Infernal Tutor -> Burning Wish -> Tendrils of Agony for the kill sequence.

The Burning Wish for Reforge the Soul, followed by Brainstorm putting the Reforge the Soul on top of your deck for a 1R casting cost is just wishful thinking IMO, but it may come up once and a blue moon.

The other thing that comes to mind is while it may not be an obvious inclusion in TES, it may be a definite inclusiong in R/g Belcher where a 3RR Wheel of Fortune actually matters given the synergy with so many red rituals, especially Seething Song, and the need for threat density combined with the sickest top deck of all time.

I think it's a fringe playable in Storm, if you play Ill Gotten Gains and Past in Flames together in the SB it's no less absurd than Diminishing Returns and Reforge the Soul IMO, and it may turn out to be really good in something completely unexpected like Sneak Attack.

Edit: Wow this is fucking busted with Personal Tutor.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    It'll be interesting to compare the casting cost requirements, 3RR vs 2UU despite being more costly may be more convenient considering you can cast it with Rite of Flame(s) and without Lion's Eye Diamond, and you also discard and draw 7 cards instead of reshuffling your hand and graveyard together, RFGing 10 cards and possibly removing Tendrils of Agony and then drawing 7 cards so any Rite of Flames you used to cast Reforge the Soul are left in the graveyard empowering additional Rite of Flames and you'll never have to Infernal Tutor -> Burning Wish -> Tendrils of Agony for the kill sequence.

The Burning Wish for Reforge the Soul, followed by Brainstorm putting the Reforge the Soul on top of your deck for a 1R casting cost is just wishful thinking IMO, but it may come up once and a blue moon.

The other thing that comes to mind is while it may not be an obvious inclusion in TES, it may be a definite inclusiong in R/g Belcher where a 3RR Wheel of Fortune actually matters given the synergy with so many red rituals, especially Seething Song, and the need for threat density combined with the sickest top deck of all time.

I think it's a fringe playable in Storm, if you play Ill Gotten Gains and Past in Flames together in the SB it's no less absurd than Diminishing Returns and Reforge the Soul IMO, and it may turn out to be really good in something completely unexpected like Sneak Attack.

Edit: Wow this is fucking busted with Mind's Desire.
    I can't ever see my self tutoring for this over Ad Nauseam or any other of our storm engines that win on the spot. The wheel and deal method isn't worth drawing 7 at 5cc for a chance to win. At least Diminishing Returns is only 4cc.

I'd rather draw 20+.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

I don't think TES wants this card. But I think a Storm deck that focuses more on Past In Flames really, really wants this card. It's a fucking amazing engine, and once you go off you will likely draw your whole deck. I don't expect it to stay legal for long.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

I think the only realistic question is whether we want this over Diminishing Returns.

It costs one more, but doesn't require double blue. It does need triple red if you're casting it the same turn you're wishing for it, so it's not a whole lot less reliant on Lion's Eye Diamond. If you're way behind and have a Brainstorm and a Wish, you can cast it on the cheap the following turn, but I don't know if that's a worthwhile use of the two cards you spent to set it up. It doesn't have the irritating exile ten clause that Diminishing Returns comes with, and dumping things in the yard is better than shuffling them back in most of the time.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Jul 2010
    NV

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    I think the only realistic question is whether we want this over Diminishing Returns.

It costs one more, but doesn't require double blue. It does need triple red if you're casting it the same turn you're wishing for it, so it's not a whole lot less reliant on Lion's Eye Diamond. If you're way behind and have a Brainstorm and a Wish, you can cast it on the cheap the following turn, but I don't know if that's a worthwhile use of the two cards you spent to set it up. It doesn't have the irritating exile ten clause that Diminishing Returns comes with, and dumping things in the yard is better than shuffling them back in most of the time.
    I follow and agree, it certainly is worth trying, worse case scenario is I test it out a few locals, hate the fact that it costs 1 more mana, and go back to Diminishing Returns.

As for the brainstorming it on top to cast on the turn following a wish, I don't see that being very relevant often, though I can say that there are at least a couple times playing against deadguy or the rock that I'd been getting my hand torn apart and wastelanded a couple times. A 2 mana wheel could be sweet in that scenario.
    Decks that don't interact with me are unfun.
    Decks that counter my spells are unfun.
    Decks that kill my monsters are unfun.
    Decks that destroy my lands are unfun.
    Decks that are faster than mine are unfun.
    Decks that beat mine are unfun.

The only fun decks are ones that cast Craw Wurms on turn 6 and turn them sideways. Fox only, no items, final destination.

If you have 5 mana available, Diminishing Returns should win you the game with odds of around 45% and this new card with odds of around 20%. If you have 6 mana available, the numbers are around 70% and 45%. If you have 4 mana available, Diminishing Returns can win you the game with 20% odds, but the new spell cannot. I don't remember the exact numbers, but these are close enough (I think you can find them from the opening post).

The difference is quite big in my opinion.

May 2011
    Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Awaclus View Post
    If you have 5 mana available, Diminishing Returns should win you the game with odds of around 45% and this new card with odds of around 20%. If you have 6 mana available, the numbers are around 70% and 45%. If you have 4 mana available, Diminishing Returns can win you the game with 20% odds, but the new spell cannot. I don't remember the exact numbers, but these are close enough (I think you can find them from the opening post).

The difference is quite big in my opinion.
    I'm not advocating new wheel over diminishing returns, but your logic is somewhat flawed. The new wheel could help in more subtle ways because you keep your graveyard. This is revelant when looking to use the past in flames engine and when you have one or two rites of flames in the graveyard which could offset the initial mana cost of new wheel.

Don't forget you will have peace of mind knowing your tendrils will be in your library or graveyard after casting wheel instead of DR.

You can't compare Reforge the Soul to Diminishing Returns directly because you're casting Reforge the Soul specifically off of 2xRite of Flame where you couldn't cast Diminishing Returns absent Lion's Eye Diamond.

That said, I think you should probably build your Storm deck around Personal Tutor and Reforge the Soul instead of SBing Reforge the Soul in addition to Diminishing Returns in TES, playing a set of these things with Brainstorm and Personal Tutor as the "mana cheating engine" with Infernal Tutor, Past in Flames and Empty the Warrens as your back up win condition is bonkers.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

BAM.

Weston Brown, 15th at SCG Phoenix.

Artifacts
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

Instants
    4 Ad Nauseam
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Orim's Chant
    1 Silence

Sorceries
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Duress
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Ponder
    4 Rite of Flame
    1 Tendrils of Agony

Lands
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 City of Brass
    4 Gemstone Mine
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island

Sideboard:
    1 Darkblast
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Pyroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Silent Departure
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Thoughtseize

Maybe a typo on SCG's website, but 4 Ad Nauseam and 63 cards?

Jul 2011
    schenectady

I was thinking the same thing,lol. It has to be a typo.

Thread Information