Page 12 of 446 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

63 cards in main deck?

I was thinking "wait, what did he cut for those? Everything else is still there" it must be a typo or something, I can't see 4 ad nauseam's being a thing 2 is the optimal number. Rolling with 4 ad nauseam's is something I wouldn't want to do almost ever.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    I was thinking "wait, what did he cut for those? Everything else is still there" it must be a typo or something, I can't see 4 ad nauseam's being a thing 2 is the optimal number. Rolling with 4 ad nauseam's is something I wouldn't want to do almost ever.
    Unless it's Vintage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Man of the Bounce
    Apr 2011
    City of Angels

I drove up to Phoenix with Weston. Its not 4 ad nauseums lol. He just writes in chicken scratch xD Its 2 Adnausem.

We were literally writing out decklists and trying to scrounge up our last sideboard cards albeit with some difficulty hence some more liberal SB cards (ex Darkblast). His deck was in fact 61 cards though because he registered a Gitaxian Probe that shouldn't have been. Don't know if Probe was a hindrance or actually helped in some weird way haha I didn't actually ask.
    WESTCOAST
    DREDGE Playlist

Sep 2010
    LA

Hi I am Weston don't play 61 cards it's Questionable as fuck but the probe was actualy fine.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    You can't compare Reforge the Soul to Diminishing Returns directly because you're casting Reforge the Soul specifically off of 2xRite of Flame where you couldn't cast Diminishing Returns absent Lion's Eye Diamond.

That said, I think you should probably build your Storm deck around Personal Tutor and Reforge the Soul instead of SBing Reforge the Soul in addition to Diminishing Returns in TES, playing a set of these things with Brainstorm and Personal Tutor as the "mana cheating engine" with Infernal Tutor, Past in Flames and Empty the Warrens as your back up win condition is bonkers.
    Except that Personal Tutor is terrible. Its not like Mystical Tutor where you can hide your business spell on top in response to discard. I think this card goes into a different deck with a different engine. Even if you manage to Chant them first, 7 cards isn't nearly as good as what you can draw with AdN.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    I don't think TES wants this card. But I think a Storm deck that focuses more on Past In Flames really, really wants this card. It's a fucking amazing engine, and once you go off you will likely draw your whole deck. I don't expect it to stay legal for long.
    This.

This Miracle card isn't RFG upon resolution so with PiF you can do absolutely retarded things like Noxious Revival --> Gitixian Probe-->LED Draw 7... x2 LED, discard your hand, Past in Flames... resolve your graveyard into BW--> Tendrils.

Wait.. isn't this card broken with Dream Salvage?
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Apr 2011
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Except that Personal Tutor is terrible. Its not like Mystical Tutor where you can hide your business spell on top in response to discard. I think this card goes into a different deck with a different engine. Even if you manage to Chant them first, 7 cards isn't nearly as good as what you can draw with AdN.

This.

This Miracle card isn't RFG upon resolution so with PiF you can do absolutely retarded things like Noxious Revival --> Gitixian Probe-->LED Draw 7... x2 LED, discard your hand, Past in Flames... resolve your graveyard into BW--> Tendrils.

Wait.. isn't this card broken with Dream Salvage?

This is wrong, unless you somehow skip your draw step. Miracles only trigger on the first card drawn that turn. The only real way to abuse it is with personal tutor, or with library manipulation (Top/Ponder/Brainstorm).

It costs too much to hardcast IMO, wishing into it with a couple floating would be a chore, and under almost any circumstance, would be worse then our other options (PiF/Iggy/DR).

EDIT: I'm retarded. Misinterpreted your post :P

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

You can Miracle on the opponent's turn, my bad. If you can find 2 more mana you can make that play that I mention, shouldn't be hard; Petal + IMS. ESG/SSG isn't hard to come by. Granted, you have to wait til your turn but you'll still start with 7 cards in hand.

Also, Belcher frequently resolves EtW for 3R mostly with some extra mana floating. It can also get to Belcher for 4. I'm fairly confident that you can get to 3RR, especially when you can just LED, LED into PiF and then do it all over again.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Some crazy land just spoiled:

Land
    As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
    : Add to your mana pool.
    : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast spells of the chosen creature type. If this mana is spent on a spell, that spell can't be countered by spells or abilities.

Not sure if confirmed, not also sure if is playable in TES. UB Storm maybe?

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by JJ-JKidd View Post
    Some crazy land just spoiled:

Land
    As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
    : Add to your mana pool.
    : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast spells of the chosen creature type. If this mana is spent on a spell, that spell can't be countered by spells or abilities.

Not sure if confirmed, not also sure if is playable in TES. UB Storm maybe?
    Let's wait for confirmation of the card and the actual text, but according to the templating you just provided, this land is basically an inferior Darksteel Citadel in this deck.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Let's wait for confirmation of the card and the actual text, but according to the templating you just provided, this land is basically an inferior Darksteel Citadel in this deck.
    Nah even if its confirmed, it isnt a "rainbow land" and UB Ad Naus needs blue basics for cantrips setting-up the eventual combo turn. Idk

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by JJ-JKidd View Post
    Nah even if its confirmed, it isnt a "rainbow land" and UB Ad Naus needs blue basics for cantrips setting-up the eventual combo turn. Idk
    Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you suggested that this would get played in TES or ANT (since you brought it up in this thread). Obviously a misinterpretation on my part.

Loves Witchcraft. <3
    Oct 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I have a slightly updated list that will be released sometime after this weekend.
    Any drastic changes or did these changes get axed due to new cards spoiled and should we expect big drastic changes to the deck? Not sure if I'm the only one who's been waiting for the changes, but this waiting is becoming unbearable. D:

Bryant Cook

An update.

This past weekend I played TES at the NELC to a measly 4-3 finish. The worst I've done in a long time, but it doesn't really tell the story of what actually happened. I was X-1 when I gave away game one against Burn, I was mid-combo, chaining Rituals, when I announce Duress, Duress, leaving me with three mana like an idiot with Tendrils in hand. Because of this I lost game one, smashed game two, then game three, kept a decent opener that needed to draw a non-land mana source to win the game turn one (with Nauseam in hand), instead I drew Ill-Gotten Gains (I boarded the second Nauseam out), then drew Infernal, Infernal, over my next two turns. While my opponent opened with double Goblin Guide, Lavaspike, Pillar, Fireblast, and Mountains. Disappointing. Lost my win-and-in to myself.

Next round was paired against BW disruption and got messed up. Bad match-up.

The changes I made I was very happy with were:

Maindeck:
    -1 Orim's Chant
    +1 Inquisition of Kozilek

Sideboard:
    -1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    -1 Wipeaway
    +2 Deathmark

The Deathmarks were huge for my round three against Eric Fry with 12 maindeck Hate Bears running Death & Taxes.

Yeah, I think having the most mana efficient answers to hate bears vs Maverick is far more important than having a more costly answer that side steps Chalice of the Void fwiw, you've always got Burning Wish -> Shattering Spree at least as an out. Think it was really only a matter of time until Wipe Away/Echoing Truth got the axe.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Yeah, I think having the most mana efficient answers to hate bears vs Maverick is far more important than having a more costly answer that side steps Chalice of the Void fwiw, you've always got Burning Wish -> Shattering Spree at least as an out. Think it was really only a matter of time until Wipe Away/Echoing Truth got the axe.
    My truths are never leaving. Chalice of the Void is still something that sees play in 'Cuse/Vestal. But the Deathmarks are better at the moment than Wipaway. The Inquisition was moved main deck to make room for a second Deathmark, I don't actually expect the main deck Inquisition to have an affect in the Maverick match-up. But if it does? Awesome.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Bryant, you're boarding in the Deathmarks, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

I'm assuming both Deathmarks come in and Infest stays as a fetchable answer? I like it. I almost want the second Deathmark to be Chain of Vapor... Just because it can hit Thorn and Pillar. Also, if a cheaper casting cost is our motivator, Chain obviously allows for EOT bounce, which frees up a mana. Though, I'm sure your change had more considerations than just CC. Either way, good riddance Wipeaway!

Thanks for the update,
    Matthew

Site Contributor
    Dec 2007

1 Thoughtseize Could be better than 1 inqusition of kozilek in main deck

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    1 Thoughtseize Could be better than 1 inqusition of kozilek in main deck
    Could be, but is not. Here are all the relevant situations you are facing when you have an Inquisition or a Thoughtseize on top of my head:

1. If your only protection spell is an IoK or a T-16, and
    a) Your opponent doesn't have any disruption: IoK is better
    b) Your opponent has one or more FoWs: T-16 is better
    c) Your opponent has a single FoW and one or more other counterspells that aren't FoW: IoK is better
    d) Your opponent has disruption, but none of which is FoW: IoK is better

2. If you have an IoK or a T-16 and another protection spell, and
    a) Your opponent doesn't have any disruption: IoK is better
    b) Your opponent has one FoW: IoK is better
    c) Your opponent has two or more FoWs: T-16 is better
    d) Your opponent has a single FoW and one or more other counterspells that aren't FoW: IoK is better
    e) Your opponent has two FoWs and one or more other counterspells that aren't FoW: IoK is better
    f) Your opponent has disruption, but none of which is FoW: IoK is better

1b might be slightly more common than some of the situations in which IoK is better, but that's not enough to make T-16 the right choice.

Thread Information