Page 13 of 446 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

I'll try out these changes.

It seems strange to me to be tweaking the list in response to Burn, Deadguy, and Death & Taxes, though. I would have expected any changes to be attempts to improve the matchups against the current trio of top-tier decks.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

What do you guys side against burn? I was thinking +2 Echoing Truth and +4 IoK for -3 Orim's Chant, -2 Silence, and -1 Ponder. This seems correct against the average burn deck packing Pyrostatic Pillar. But, this formation would lose to Mindbreak Trap, which is popular in the U/R versions. So, what do you guys generally side? And, what approach do you take against the U/R version?

Much appreciated,
    Matthew

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

@Bryant:
    Regarding that result, to be honest, I don't think they're argument for changing the main, I mean
    You play a tournament, loose because of mistakes, and change the deck. Mistake or give more arguments.

@Rest:
    I again must agree with playing the 2nd A.N. instead of other card, althoutgh I wanted to play anyother card, the 2nd A.N is the best (I really wanted Other card becuase of loosing to myself...). Just as I lost once to 20 because of A.N, I simply do not expect to find that statistic until other few years, so that there is a good reason to play finally the second A.N.

I mean, play TES forever, loose to yourself revealing 20, and hate that deck, and inmediatly next, think, "well, this won't happen anymore in a few time if statistics is a branch of study...", and you'll be happy again.

The change I've been happy with is the Other card instead Wipeaway, the 3rd E.truth.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Probably a variance issue, but lately I've really wanted main deck Empty the Warrens against RUG Tempo.

Yeah, I know the second Ad Nauseam is better in all other match ups, but RUG is pissing me off.

I win the die roll. He mulls to five.
    I turn one Ad Nauseam. He Forces.
    He draws for his turn and passes.
    I turn two Ad Nauseam. He Forces.

Jajajajajajajaja.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Pelikanudo View Post
    @Bryant:
    Regarding that result, to be honest, I don't think they're argument for changing the main, I mean
    You play a tournament, loose because of mistakes, and change the deck. Mistake or give more arguments.

@Rest:
    I again must agree with playing the 2nd A.N. instead of other card, althoutgh I wanted to play anyother card, the 2nd A.N is the best (I really wanted Other card becuase of loosing to myself...). Just as I lost once to 20 because of A.N, I simply do not expect to find that statistic until other few years, so that there is a good reason to play finally the second A.N.

I mean, play TES forever, loose to yourself revealing 20, and hate that deck, and inmediatly next, think, "well, this won't happen anymore in a few time if statistics is a branch of study...", and you'll be happy again.

The change I've been happy with is the Other card instead Wipeaway, the 3rd E.truth.
    I made the changes before the event.

Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

That makes a little more sense, then. Going to edit the first post accordingly?
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Pelikanudo View Post
    Just as I lost once to 20 because of A.N...
    From Monday at my LGS, it's game three and I'm on the play. I fire off an Inquisition of Kozilek and nab Chalice of the Void. On turn two, I ritual into Ad Nauseam.

The flop reveals:

Ad Nauseam, 15.

Tendrils of Agony, 11.

Guess what?

I won.

@newchanges: They seem legit to me. I board out chant effects more than I do any card. So even though it may be by coincidence, the main deck IoK seems fine. Going back to four chants works, too. I feel like Inquisition (or more realistically the "reveal hand" clause) pulls more weight in the current meta. I like information.
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

T.E.S. took 2nd at at a 47 player event losing to Punishing Maverick in the finals:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...cks-amp-videos)

Also sounds like the guy playing it will be interviewed this week:

(Google translated)
    Some players noticed the trend and chose to play metagame Storm Combo. This allowed you could see different decks of this type. It is no coincidence that two of the three tournaments have played the final Eneko Mendibe with TES (whom we will hear this week in Infinite Mana).

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Whippoorwill View Post
    T.E.S. took 2nd at at a 47 player event losing to Punishing Maverick in the finals:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...cks-amp-videos)

Also sounds like the guy playing it will be interviewed this week:

(Google translated)
    Looks like his Punishing Maverick opponent was out to get him -- lots of hate.

Here's the board TES ran:

15 Sideboard
    4 Inquisition Of Kozilek
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Chain Of Vapor
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Silent Departure
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Virtue's Ruin

Here's the board Punishing Maverick ran:

15 Sideboard
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Choke
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Bojuka Bog

Also the usual main deck Gaddock Teeg and no Aven Mindcensor.

Loves Witchcraft. <3
    Oct 2010

In the chronicle it says (translated by google translate!):

The final Eneko and made ​​a pact at 20:00 Alain who made ​​the journey back to Guipúzcoa.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    That makes a little more sense, then. Going to edit the first post accordingly?
    Updated the opening post, you whiney fuck.

It includes my current strategy at combating Maverick with and without Mind Break Trap.

Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Mindbreak Trap is certainly frustrating. For some reason, that's the hate card that bothers me the most, despite being far from the most unbeatable. There's nothing quite like those times when their only out is to have ripped Trap on their turn and they have it.

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

@TheOneAbove:

One conclusion I reached is that M.B.T is NOT as good vs us,
    Things to have in mind:
    Ex: it counters 3rd spell, so in some situations you can play for example: land, LED, Chrome mox, petal on 1st Turn, land and I.T. -> A.N on 2nd turn , at this point you will be able to cast A.N which will be the 2nd spell. I main, in here the goal is to not to play A.N. as a 3rd spell, is rare, but is +1 to have in mind.

The rest of things are quite trivial.

Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

It is definitely possible to play around Mindbreak Trap. It's one of the easier hate cards to beat. There's just something about it that irks me on an emotional level for whatever reason.

Feb 2012
    Northwest

Can't you just chant 'em before you go off? Doesn't that stop them from playing the trap after you've run it all out? It seems pretty simple to answer to me. I know when I'm playing against blue I do everything I can to chant them first, period. That strategy has served me well. Seems like it would be the same thing in this case.

^ yes you can just chant.

But clearly the issue wasn't that a counterspell is hard for tes to beat. actually no one has said that, the issue from what i read was that it simply was an annoying card to lose too.
    no more no less.

The real thing that sucks is turn one mom turn two thalia/cannonist/tegg

Sep 2010
    LA

Virtue's Ruin or Infest beats that

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    Probably a variance issue, but lately I've really wanted main deck Empty the Warrens against RUG Tempo.

Yeah, I know the second Ad Nauseam is better in all other match ups, but RUG is pissing me off.

I win the die roll. He mulls to five.
    I turn one Ad Nauseam. He Forces.
    He draws for his turn and passes.
    I turn two Ad Nauseam. He Forces.

Jajajajajajajaja.
    Wow that's almost as annoying as Turn 1 Delver blind flip revealing Forked Bolt, eat 2 of my x/1's, 2nd Delver, FoW the StP targeting the first one, then blind flip the 2nd Delver revealing Bolt. Hurp-durp I R gud at Majic.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by COBBLER View Post
    Virtue's Ruin or Infest beats that
    :0 really?!

thank you i'm completely aware...

Sep 2010
    LA

Well your complaining about hate bears much easier to deal with then counterspells in general.

Thread Information