Page 3 of 446 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

One of the few times I've played Dredge recently they had Leyline of Sanctity in game two. I bounced it and killed them.

I was joking about Rifter and Leyline Aggro. Just being passive-aggressive about the content of the opening post.

Has anyone played an event with Bryant's new sideboard yet? I'm interested to hear any stories where it turned out better or worse than his previous list.
    Last edited by thefringthing; 03-19-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Sep 2010
    Michigan

Bryant, why not 3 Inquistion and 1 Duress in the board so you can Burning Wish for discard and still hit Force of Will?

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by zmattk View Post
    Bryant, why not 3 Inquistion and 1 Duress in the board so you can Burning Wish for discard and still hit Force of Will?
    There's 8 maindeck cards that hit Force of Will. I want the best chance of discarding a turn two Gaddock Teeg/Thalia, meaning four Inquisition in the sideboard. How often do you actually Burning Wish -> Duress AND target Force of Will. It's slim. You'll want that extra percentage of discarding a hatebear against Maverick more often than you'll want to Burning Wish -> Duress a Force of Will.

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    One of the few times I've played Dredge recently they had Leyline of Sanctity in game two. I bounced it and killed them.

I was joking about Rifter and Leyline Aggro. Just being passive-aggressive about the content of the opening post.

Has anyone played an even with Bryant's new sideboard yet? I'm interested to hear any stories where it turned out better or worse than his previous list.
    I used to board in bounce, but less and less lists are actually boarding anything relevant in besides Firestorm. If they ever do go turn one Leyline, Ad Nauseam, play everything, Past in Flames, play everything, Empty the Warrens, upkeep Silence.

I've tested the new sideboard. It's been good.

Jun 2009
    Sao Paulo - Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    There's 8 maindeck cards that hit Force of Will. I want the best chance of discarding a turn two Gaddock Teeg/Thalia, meaning four Inquisition in the sideboard. How often do you actually Burning Wish -> Duress AND target Force of Will. It's slim. You'll want that extra percentage of discarding a hatebear against Maverick more often than you'll want to Burning Wish -> Duress a Force of Will.
    Why not 1 Seize and 3 IoK in SB?? Then you have BW -> Discard -> FoW and still has 4 discard spells to fight hatebears.
    Super Bizarros Team.
    HUEHUEHUE BRBRBR. VIVA DILMA!!! EM NOME DE JESUS CRISTO!

May 2011
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Shimi View Post
    Why not 1 Seize and 3 IoK in SB?? Then you have BW -> Discard -> FoW and still has 4 discard spells to fight hatebears.
    The two life matters.

Bryant Cook

I love how people keep posting ideas like I haven't thought of 95% of them already. I put a LOT of thought into every change I make, probably more than most people think. If you're going to post something, please make it insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Basaka View Post
    The two life matters.
    Not in this deck. Your AdN are very strong with the all the artifact mana. I've been playing a 2/2 split. The only matchup it will negatively effect is Thresh and UR Delver.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Final Ritual View Post
    Not in this deck. Your AdN are very strong with the all the artifact mana. I've been playing a 2/2 split. The only matchup it will negatively effect is Thresh and UR Delver.
    You're wrong. Two life is very important in a metagame full of RUG, UR Delver, Burn, and Maverick. Even Maverick can create a quick clock.

I've played a lot of UB Ant and since switching to TES I've never encountered the same problems with AdN killing me. Also my local scene is infested with UW mystic, if I have to cut pyroblast I need something I can hit Fow.

I've played a lot of UB Ant and since switching to TES I've never encountered the same problems with AdN killing me. Also my local scene is infested with UW mystic, if I have to cut pyroblast I need something I can hit Fow.
    You have access to 12 cards that shut down FoW without lifeloss, those 12 being silence, orim's chant, and duress. If that isn't enough, I don't know how to help you. 8 protection spells is often enough to push through your combo, and if not you can board up to 11 protection spells.

The lifeloss from thoughtseize does matter. I fizzled when I cast ad nauseam at 19 life on turn 1, and I fizzled out and died the next turn due to not hitting enough mana. Every point of life matters a lot in this deck.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Bryant Cook

Well it's a metagame call then. I'm not sure if it's still correct though.

TES doesn't die too often to Ad Nauseam, it's one of the beautiful things about the deck. However, if you start incorporating cards like Thoughtseize these odds of killing yourself increase. A healthy Metagame has decks like RUG, UR, Burn, Maverick, etc... that make the life total more valuable.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Jajajaja. Went X-1 at my LGS tonight.

Beat MUD 2-1.
    Beat UR Delver 2-1.
    Lost Maverick 0-2.
    Beat Tezzeret Control (with Chalice, 3sphere, etc.) 2-0.

I was playing with Pyroblasts, sadly. I killed one Trinket Mage that's it, pretty useless.

Maverick won the die roll and played turn one mom. All I did was stare at the fucking Duress in my hand as he played turn two Thalia. Infest wiped the board, but I quickly get eaten by two huge knights. Game three, I mull to five and lose.

UR Delver was just a race. Game one, I made 18 goblins. Game two, I won via Past in Flames.

Against the Chalice/3sphere decks, Echoing Truth was king.

Jajajaja.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Isn't Virtue's Ruin better than Infest against hatebears?
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Gui View Post
    Isn't Virtue's Ruin better than Infest against hatebears?
    If I was a moderator I'd take away your posting privileges.

Read the last page of this thread, then last three pages of the previous thread and you'll find your answer.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

If I was a moderator I'd take away your posting privileges.

Read the last page of this thread, then last three pages of the previous thread and you'll find your answer.
    You mean the first page of this thread, right? Ok, the search thread tool didn't work as intended, I found it now, w/e... In my defense, search thread tool doesn't work on previous now closed threads (when you use it in the new one).
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Out of curiousity Bryant.
    How do you see the % number for the matchup analisys in your primer.

Some of them look pretty strange to me:
    i.e: Goblins 70%, Zoo 75% while CB Top or Team America is even 50%.

To me it looks like the aggro matchup is to pessimistig while the aggro-control/control matchup is too optimistic. And in general very optimistic: having such an edge over the field should make TES a permanent DTB contender...

Did you think about this percentages you against the random opponent you face or you against someone else similar skilled in his own deck/legacy?
    Currently playing: Elves

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by catmint View Post

To me it looks like the aggro matchup is to pessimistig while the aggro-control/control matchup is too optimistic. And in general very optimistic: having such an edge over the field should make TES a permanent DTB contender...

Did you think about this percentages you against the random opponent you face or you against someone else similar skilled in his own deck/legacy?
    The percentages are pretty much right on. Each percentage could be plus or minus 5% based on list variation seeing as not every player plays the stock list. Countertop isn't as bad as people think, Team America isn't either since lists have moved away from Hymn to Tourach. TES doesn't actually have that hard of a time with blue decks, blue players really over estimate their combo match-up and get blown out a majority of the time. The deck isn't afraid of Force of Will.

I base my percentages based on past events, testing, and scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by catmint View Post

You also have to take into account some things that add/subtract variance from those %'s that, while important when you play any deck, are really important for combo decks. Pilot skill, mulligan skill and sometimes just what your deck hands you off the top on a given day can matter a lot. There's also the fact that storm in general and TES besides are not very popular decks. I'd say Bryants numbers aren't unrealistic by any means. I don't think I sit down from anybody (well...besides the douchebag that insists that stax is a real deck) with TES and think "I'm a dog" in this matchup.

More than any of that though, it's a %. 85% of them are made up.
    Swim, Bike, Run, MTG

Jun 2009
    Sao Paulo - Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Basaka View Post
    The two life matters.
    That's the standard automatic answer, what I want to say is that with one seize and 3 Iok the 2 life matters only when you open with your seize against hatebear.deck , but this one seize on SB matters always when BW to a Protec. It's a matter of testing and seeing what situation is more common and relevant.. I would put my chips on being the BW -> Protec one but I did not played enought pos-SB matchs against Maverick with IoK SB plan.
    Super Bizarros Team.
    HUEHUEHUE BRBRBR. VIVA DILMA!!! EM NOME DE JESUS CRISTO!

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Countertop isn't as bad as people think...
    Win the die roll and lead with Duress. If they don't Force, your win percentage goes up 700 percent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Thread Information