Page 422 of 446 FirstFirst ... 322372412418419420421422423424425426432 ... LastLast
Results 8,421 to 8,440 of 8918

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Apr 2014
    Seattle area

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

That was a good listen until everyone started butchering Doomsday without explaining how bad the deck became after Top got banned. My first storm deck was burning-ANT with a minimum doomsday package. I loved it, but switched to TES since it was obviously better, but I always kept doomsday built because it was A) really fun and b) made me look smart, as you so put it. Doomsday is awful now that Top is gone.

New Article Up! Sideboarding and how card values change contextually: http://theepicstorm.com/sideboard-mu...g-card-values/

Been playing a lot of TES lately since my local meta has been primarily fast combo and permanent based hate. I have to say, I've been way more impressed with Grapeshot than I expected it to be. I thought it was kind of a meme slot for showboating and maybe killing Teeg once in every hundred games, but I've found it very useful for wiping boards as well as finishing off a weakened opponent.

Sorry for the double post. Won a local 5 rounder with the website list -2 Rending Volley, +2 Surgical.

R1: Infect 2-1
    R2: MUD 2-0
    R3: Mono U Omni 2-1
    R4: DnT 2-0
    R5: TES Scooped to opp since I was the only 4-0 and locked for prizes but played for fun and went 2-1

Empty kills: 3
    Ad Naus kills: 5
    PiF kills: 1
    Telemin kills: 1 (stole Emrakul from Omni)

Of note, rounds 1, 3 and 5 I lost game 1 then came back after boarding.

Bryant Cook

Apr 2014
    Seattle area

I don't know if I agree with Hand 9.

You really only have the scry and one draw step to win before their turn 2, since you're on the play. So you only get to see 3 cards with the probe. 16 outs out of 54 cards isn't the worst odds possible 10 of those being solid outs and the 6 cantrips if you draw well off of them.

But considering you already lost game 1, would you possibly risk your tourney life on that?

I'd be tempted to ship it back.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by d0nkey View Post
    I don't know if I agree with Hand 9.

You really only have the scry and one draw step to win before their turn 2, since you're on the play. So you only get to see 3 cards with the probe. 16 outs out of 54 cards isn't the worst odds possible 10 of those being solid outs and the 6 cantrips if you draw well off of them.

But considering you already lost game 1, would you possibly risk your tourney life on that?

I'd be tempted to ship it back.
    ...and you would be wrong.

16 outs with 3 looks is good enough. Your odds of a better five card hand are much lower.

Apr 2014
    Seattle area

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    ...and you would be wrong.

16 outs with 3 looks is good enough. Your odds of a better five card hand are much lower.
    10 hard outs, and 6 soft ones. There's no guarantee you get a win by drawing into the cantrips. I think if the probe is a brainstorm/ponder, then I feel a lot better about snap keeping that hand as I want to see at least 5 cards with those odds.

But hey, good discussion.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by d0nkey View Post
    10 hard outs, and 6 soft ones. There's no guarantee you get a win by drawing into the cantrips. I think if the probe is a brainstorm/ponder, then I feel a lot better about snap keeping that hand as I want to see at least 5 cards with those odds.

But hey, good discussion.
    Do me a favor, shuffle up your deck and draw 10 five card hands. Tell me how many can win the game on turn 2 (on the play).

Your expectations of a five card hand being better than the proposed six card hand is unreasonable.

Bryant Cook

Hey guys, the next installment of Infernal Tutoring has gone live. I would love for you to check it out, thanks!

http://theepicstorm.com/tes-infernal-tutoring-11/

Question for you all: What would the meta have to look like for you to drop the basic island? What would the meta have to look like for you to cut both basics and play something like 8 Fetch, 2 Sea, 2 Volc, 1 Badlands?

Bryant Cook

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

Very interesting content, as always.
    Thanks!
    This sort of article are great for improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_D View Post
    Question for you all: What would the meta have to look like for you to drop the basic island? What would the meta have to look like for you to cut both basics and play something like 8 Fetch, 2 Sea, 2 Volc, 1 Badlands?
    In a meta full of Wasteland and Blood Moon?
    The basic lands are great.

Excellent exercise! Hand 5 (on the play) really leave me in doubt, even after the explanation to mull it.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_D View Post
    For me the need for basics is related to the number of lands you run, how crippling Wasteland is for your manabase/-density and how much you value the T1 cantrip (which is obviously related to the number of Ponders/Preordains in your storm deck).

So if you run 14 lands and think that 1 wasteland isn't enough to stop you, one can get away w/o basics at any point
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    For me the need for basics is related to the number of lands you run, how crippling Wasteland is for your manabase/-density and how much you value the T1 cantrip (which is obviously related to the number of Ponders/Preordains in your storm deck).

So if you run 14 lands and think that 1 wasteland isn't enough to stop you, one can get away w/o basics at any point
    With the number of Ghost Quarters seeing play and now the new one (D&T might play it since it's card parity), it's foolish to not run at least 1.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

With the number of Ghost Quarters seeing play and now the new one (D&T might play it since it's card parity), it's foolish to not run at least 1.
    So you fetch a basic in order to evade wasteland just to get hit with ghost Quarter and cant dig up a second basic. So you either run 2-3 basics or can't get around the LD anyways unless you just Sandbank fetches
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    So you fetch a basic in order to evade wasteland just to get hit with ghost Quarter and cant dig up a second basic. So you either run 2-3 basics or can't get around the LD anyways unless you just Sandbank fetches
    Why don't we just run 14 fetches | 0 actual lands and call it a day? hm?

How to fight against a plethora of BUG/Pile/4C Control full of discards, counters and maindeck sweepers?

Thread Information