Page 429 of 446 FirstFirst ... 329379419425426427428429430431432433439 ... LastLast
Results 8,561 to 8,580 of 8918

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Bryant Cook

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Wow, Jarvis Yu on theepicstorm.com! https://theepicstorm.com/looking-glass-lands-jarvis-yu/

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I have to say thanks to Bryant for all the incredible and altruistic effort he continuously makes in his TES web site.
    Really incredible effort.
    I have not seen other person so much dedicated to a specific MTG Deck. and I as a dedicated TES player have to recognize that.

Sincerely Thanks Bryant.
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build
    Yes, I am advanced and you know it...

Suggestion: Play Magic as a Hobby. Competitiveness is uniquely usefull in this Era and just to evolve the human being to a certain extent...

New installment of Infernal Tutoring is here, check it out!

https://theepicstorm.com/tes-infernal-tutoring-15/

May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

Hi TES guys!

there I go with my new brilliant idea - remember last one was DD+AoI Tech! Didn't work - It' s curious how 1 card affects to the entire deck in here - but AoI (like Grim Tutor in older eras...) in base is just shit with potatoes.

I really have not played Vintage at all but I see this like a format where you just land moxen and play wheel or timetwister or otherhellofcard. you just play superthreats with no drawback .

In legacy we have DaysUndoing and that's it is a 7draw card by 3 with B.W. it is a 5 mana cost.

Next torunament I'll try 1 in side and I'll expose reasons to play the card:

1) If you have C.M.+B.W. and you are able to not to combo - but instead generate 5 mana and see what's on the Opp because of GP. then it is a +1 land advantage over Opp.

2) 1st is aplicable to whatever scnearios which involve other cards landed - LED, Petal and you can't combo off- let's say If you can generate 5 mana + LED then you sure can combo off instead using DU - absurd. BUT there will be scenarios which you can just pitch FoW with duress lay petals, moxen LEDs and then DU. because maybe opp has a fluster. It is just a matter of Mana availability.

3) there can occur scnearios that you see a hand with no FoW and C.Therapy + GP instead - then you can not combo before opp. can plays C.T., then you just DU and avoid C.T. and even you have landed a C.M. it serves as a role to change hands on deman with unique drawback of losing a BW.

I believe DU just allows to go other directions, it is likely the most mana efficient engine we have to draw cards because BW+DU is just 5mana. I saw list in vitage playing 4BW for just Yawmoths in side. sure you just sometimes do EtW for 1 more mana. but sometimes it is just is not enough and I see that those sncearios are covered by DU.

The strange thing is that I want to replace this card by one in my side, but even I play D.R. in side - I do not find this as the replacement as they are roles completely diffrent - I use D.R. as D.P. or other combo engine, DU is just more like a draw Engine OR Mox Jet/Sapphire/Ruby OR 'Well I don't like that ChaliceThron or 3CabalTherapy Hand' card.

Opinions? has any given it a try?
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

Suggestion: Play Magic as a Hobby. Competitiveness is uniquely usefull in this Era and just to evolve the human being to a certain extent...

Oct 2013
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Pelikanudo View Post
    Hi TES guys!

there I go with my new brilliant idea - remember last one was DD+AoI Tech! Didn't work - It' s curious how 1 card affects to the entire deck in here - but AoI (like Grim Tutor in older eras...) in base is just shit with potatoes.

I really have not played Vintage at all but I see this like a format where you just land moxen and play wheel or timetwister or otherhellofcard. you just play superthreats with no drawback .

In legacy we have DaysUndoing and that's it is a 7draw card by 3 with B.W. it is a 5 mana cost.

Next torunament I'll try 1 in side and I'll expose reasons to play the card:

1) If you have C.M.+B.W. and you are able to not to combo - but instead generate 5 mana and see what's on the Opp because of GP. then it is a +1 land advantage over Opp.

2) 1st is aplicable to whatever scnearios which involve other cards landed - LED, Petal and you can't combo off- let's say If you can generate 5 mana + LED then you sure can combo off instead using DU - absurd. BUT there will be scenarios which you can just pitch FoW with duress lay petals, moxen LEDs and then DU. because maybe opp has a fluster. It is just a matter of Mana availability.

3) there can occur scnearios that you see a hand with no FoW and C.Therapy + GP instead - then you can not combo before opp. can plays C.T., then you just DU and avoid C.T. and even you have landed a C.M. it serves as a role to change hands on deman with unique drawback of losing a BW.

I believe DU just allows to go other directions, it is likely the most mana efficient engine we have to draw cards because BW+DU is just 5mana. I saw list in vitage playing 4BW for just Yawmoths in side. sure you just sometimes do EtW for 1 more mana. but sometimes it is just is not enough and I see that those sncearios are covered by DU.

The strange thing is that I want to replace this card by one in my side, but even I play D.R. in side - I do not find this as the replacement as they are roles completely diffrent - I use D.R. as D.P. or other combo engine, DU is just more like a draw Engine OR Mox Jet/Sapphire/Ruby OR 'Well I don't like that ChaliceThron or 3CabalTherapy Hand' card.

Opinions? has any given it a try?
    Reset graveyards and give your opponent a fresh set of 7 cards, end your turn. Seems terrible.

[Card]Diminishing returns[/card] and [card]Reforge the Soul[/card] seem infinitely better since you don't give your opponent an untap. I mean, it's bad against blue and not really needed against non-FoW decks. Not sure what match up it'd be worth the SB slot.

May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Luklinda View Post
    Reset graveyards and give your opponent a fresh set of 7 cards, end your turn. Seems terrible.

[Card]Diminishing returns[/card] and [card]Reforge the Soul[/card] seem infinitely better since you don't give your opponent an untap. I mean, it's bad against blue and not really needed against non-FoW decks. Not sure what match up it'd be worth the SB slot.
    It seems that I am more optimistic than you. that's all.
    I play D.R. in my side along with 2 extirpate also and maybe you can just extirpate their fows so that D.R. is just better. since I played DP I have not find it to be usefull at all - I thoutgh it was!
    But the purpose of DU is different - just imagine the scenarios I exposed before and for those scenarios - DU is a puzzle piece. a different matter can be if those scenarios occurs the enough number of times to really worths the space. I agree in here.

I'll expose the following 6 scenarios and judge by yourself if those scenarious will not worth the space - as said - if those scnearios occur so few times then it does not worth - but this is something you can not know.

1) you face Eldrazi and keep a hand with LED, GP, land, RoF and B.W. OtP- if you GP and see thorn to be landed on next turn, would not you use DU if you can't combo off?
    2) you are in the process of combo, then you are stopped and as not expected (because you needed to pay for pierce or daze as example) can't reach the 4 mana and lot of resources were invested,would you not DU instead? I really don't find these scenarios as I am a Friend Of Statistics.
    3) 1) but when facing D&T and opp. is OtP- in here the odds are worse than in 1)
    4) you face grixis OtP 1st turn and see no fow but therapy+GP+Daze+YP as example.
    5) you have been ripped your hand via hymn/therapy and have no resources just a petal or LED landed and some lands, would not you DU if no other thing will save your ass?
    6) CM+land+LED+GP against anything on the play and see no FoW, - this is important - would you not DU?

For 2, 4 and 5 scenarios if in any a extirpate effect to FoW has occurred, then it is even better.

I mean maybe you are right and these scenarios just does not worth the slot as EtW is just +1 mana and I just have spent too many time playing TES and need to play some cards just to see what happens and for funny purposes.- as DD+AoI - but a matter of -1 mana or draw7 by 5 is just too good to be ignored - even if your opp also draws 7. But hey! apart from Bahamut and his team I was the 1st person proposing GP+Therapy package - sure still with no EtW and that was a good idea! don't you think?

I'll give it a try and likely I'll go back to my still 3Gemstones list... well just likely.
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

Hallo,

after 2 years of a break with playing Magic I`ve decided to start again. I have always played T.E.S but it was in the time of the 5 Color/ Chant version. Now after testing the new 3-C list I think it`s really better. Manabase is more stabil and I`am most of the time able to cast my disruption against counters and other stuff, even with the inclusion of the basics I have a way to play arround Wastelands. I can not see how the Chant version would have a comeback. I am wrong and it is possible to play 5-Color TES again? I ask because I am thinking of selling my arabian nights citys and buying the needed duals for the money.

May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkhole View Post
    Hallo,

after 2 years of a break with playing Magic I`ve decided to start again. I have always played T.E.S but it was in the time of the 5 Color/ Chant version. Now after testing the new 3-C list I think it`s really better. Manabase is more stabil and I`am most of the time able to cast my disruption against counters and other stuff, even with the inclusion of the basics I have a way to play arround Wastelands. I can not see how the Chant version would have a comeback. I am wrong and it is possible to play 5-Color TES again? I ask because I am thinking of selling my arabian nights citys and buying the needed duals for the money.
    Hi, nobody plays now CoB, and gemstone - well - I believe I am the unique person that plays it. so not likely you'll see again the 5CV. Even I say that a new set released a better version of CoB. so confidently you are going to do better to trade those cards for duals.
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

Discuss the Play

Hey Everybody,

I just had a pretty interesting game on MTGO that I wanted to discuss, and I'm curious what thoughts people have on the hand I encountered. I'm going in blind on the draw, looking at the following hand:

Gitaxian Probe
    Chrome Mox
    Infernal Tutor
    Dark Ritual
    Empty the Warrens
    Rite of Flame
    Rite of Flame

The first question is: would you keep?

[spoiler]
    I did end up keeping this hand, even if it looks a little loose at a glance. My thinking was that I had 2 draws on what is basically a 19-outer on a second IMS, which would be huge given that I have business AND rituals for both colors. Moreover, I could also get a red card to imprint for the 2 Rites and throw out a small EtW, so that's another 6 low-end outs. If the hand didn't match so well on business to rituals, or had Wish instead of EtW, I could see shipping it back for a 6. Ultimately, I figure I'd be hard-pressed to get a more explosive hand than this, and natural EtW gives me a bit of cover against a blue opponent.
    [/spoiler]

My opponent serves up a Basic Swamp into Cabal Therapy, which is a bit unnerving given that I basically only play Storm and you can look up people's lists online. At least, it's unnerving until it registers in my head that the opponent targeted themselves and binned Griselbrand. Their remaining hand is as follows:

Reanimate
    Animate Dead
    Collective Brtutality
    Bayou

So, things are looking spicy already. My draw for the turn is a Bloodstained Mire; we're in business. Given that life-totals aren't too critical in this matchup, and we can probably agree the Chrome Mox will end up imprinting on red or black, I don't think we need to go ahead and discuss my lead of paying 2 life for Probe. My opponent's hand is the same as it was a moment ago and I draw a Duress. My hand is now the following:

Bloodstained Mire
    Chrome Mox
    Infernal Tutor
    Dark Ritual
    Empty the Warrens
    Rite of Flame
    Rite of Flame
    Duress

Now, the big question is: what do I do about my impending demon problem?

[spoiler]
    The first thing you'll probably notice here is, despite a Chrome Mox, it's kinda hard to get Hellbent with one awkward spell of each color (Empty the Warrens for red and Duress for black). Moreover, I'd be going and picking a fight with a massive lifelink-er, which isn't exactly a solid Goblin matchup. You can Duress and then Tutor, but you would only have enough mana to search for the now-likely-Imprinted Empty the Warrens, and one Duress isn't a solution for two reanimation effects.

After tossing that around in my head while chatting about my opponent's deck (my opponent was a very nice guy, made for a pleasant match for the 7 turns it lasted), I finally came up with this:

Play Bloodstained Mire, search Volcanic Island.
    Play Chrome Mox, Imprint Duress. (Storm 2)
    Play Rite of Flame. (RR, Storm 3)
    Play Rite of Flame. (RRRR, Storm 4)
    Play Dark Ritual. (BBBRRRR, Storm 5)
    Play Empty the Warrens. (BBB, Storm 6)
    Play Infernal Tutor, search Cabal Therapy. (B)
    Play Cabal Therapy, call one of the reanimation effects.
    Flashback Cabal Therapy, call the other reanimation effect.

This left me with 11 Goblins and the opponent's hand clear.
    [/spoiler]

So that's what I did, but I'm curious if there was another line that might have been better? Infernal Tutor doubling Duress, for example, is a slower option that preserves the Rites while still leaving you sweating his draw steps. It's also worth noting that, if the opponent doesn't top-deck an out, they can two-mode the Collective Brutality and discard whatever they draw to buy a whole extra turn, barring a Wish > Grapeshot/Tendrils of Agony finisher.

[spoiler]
    For those wondering, the opponent immediately topped Exhume and destroyed me.
    [/spoiler]

Thanks for reading, looking forward to your comments.

New TES Matchup Battles - Elves

https://theepicstorm.com/tes-matchup-battles-elves/

Thanks for reading!

- Alex Poling

Re: Discuss the Play

@Preaux, it's a shame you lost after such a clean line, that was certainly the best thing I could come up with after looking at your puzzle for a few minutes.

In other news, I'm taking TES to the Atlanta open this coming weekend. Will anyone else who lurks here be there?
    Riding the Spiral

May 2008

To whom may interest:

well, just to know the other day I tested Days Undoing and among the 5 rounds ups I faced, this card made me win 2 match ups of 1 single round - it was not blue sure but I can guarranty that no other way I could have won both of these games. It is nice to have a 3 manacost card that reads: reset the game / don't mind your therapies hymn / play 1 land and draw 2 cards OtP / mulligan.

Then, I'll stay with DU by the moment, I suggest you all to test this card.

Having in mind this. DU could be a fine adition to the new version Bryant TES version - the only problem is that now plays 3 BW... so getting up the number of side cards is nonsense
    It may seem logic the inclusion of 2nd EtW and 4th CM to get better vs grixis.
    One thing everybody needs to understand about this match up is that - at least for me - the differences between winnng this match up and losing it is just Cabal Therapy - then on this aspect it may have sense or just enterely not - to add more CM to that equation between speed and beeing wrecked.

My latest build just took out extirpate for more value cards - just 1 single Carpet of flowers and the 13th land is fine vs grixis. Sure also DU gets better grixis a litle.

that shit day I took 2nd place but what shocked me was that I faced by 1st time a Red Dragon Stompy and miserably lost, I've been thinking in cards against this deck which still are polivalents.
    I already play ET in conjunction to AD. but vs trini I want something proactive like serenity or seal or primordium so I thouthg in taking out some decays. then I suddently remembered Teferis Realm! so I'll give it a try also I want to see what this does as still didn't test! it is just a proctive catch all answer!

any opinion about Dragon Stompy? apart of already known strategies - well likely there is just not new strategies against this...

regarding side I play spree as my preferred anti artifact card, but I recognize pulverize is superior by adjusting the manabase. however everithing is nonsense in the face of trini.
    I hope I don't have to play Ingot Chewer! as long time ago I didnt face trinis...
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

Isn't Diminishing Returns straight better than Days Undoing? I think I miss sometimes a win con that doesnt care about my life total, but giving a free turn to my oppo is not a solution.

May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Jax- View Post
    Isn't Diminishing Returns straight better than Days Undoing? I think I miss sometimes a win con that doesnt care about my life total, but giving a free turn to my oppo is not a solution.
    I do play also DR. The card I dont play is DP.
    The fact that it costs 3 mana and dont retire 10 cards allows you to not to be frightened of loosing AN and beeing quicker. Sure this does not win you the game that turn but yes on next one. The fact is that having this in side changes your mind regarding new evaluations.

You dont give a free turn to your opp. It is like playing aff. We are a deck that can land lot of cards so you are putting yourself in a better position than opp. depending on resources invested by you/opp.

Imagine aff emtying hands and next DU.
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Jax- View Post
    You need more than PIF, spellchain and EtW to choose from as non-AN playlines?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Bryant Cook

Thread Information