Page 49 of 446 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Bryant Cook

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Won a small local event tonight, oddly enough I had two opponents play Blood Moon against me. Burning Wish for Reforge was a thing.

The Empty main deck won two games on it's own. I think I'm going to stick with this list for the moment, I don't think Therapy main would be the worst, but it's value really diminishes with less reveal effects.

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

The legacy event I went to didn't trigger due to most of the players went to a ptq, either way. I played against all in infect and goblins.

Goblins was pretty easy, probably because he's new with the deck. * had vial out and a wasteland as his only land, yet didn't wasteland my only land, I won the turn after he should have wasteland me*

All in infect was basically who's going to combo first it seemed like. His maindeck daze caught me off guard at first, but the next games I got him with a turn 2 win both times, obviously playing around daze... which he had.

I'm also trying out the therapies, but the list I've been playing around with might be slightly more controversial:

4 dark ritual
    4 rite of flame
    4 LED
    4 lotus petal
    3 chrome mox
    4 infernal tutor
    4 burning wish
    4 brainstorm
    4 gitaxian probe
    4 ponder
    4 duress
    3 cabal therapy
    1 ad nauseam
    1 empty the warrens

4 fetches
    2 underground sea
    1 volcanic island
    3 gemstone mine
    2 city of brass

SB
    1 past in flames
    1 time spiral / diminishing returns
    1 tendrils of agony
    1 empty the warrens
    1 hull breach
    1 grapeshot
    1 cabal therapy
    3 abrupt decay
    2 karakas
    3 xantid swarm

My line of reasoning for the therapy switch from silence maindeck include:
    1. Therapy is easier to cast, and you can cast it before the combo turn, freeing up extra mana for the combo turn.
    2. You can cast it off dark ritual.
    3. It makes empty the warrens better (flashback after the goblins to ensure the win)
    4. It's not a dead draw against non-blue decks.

That said, I'm still trying it out and I'm not sure whether it is right or not. The testing has gone well, and the plan post board is to bring in the 3 xantid swarms against the blue decks, which should invalidate all their counterspells / spell pierces / whatever.

I'm still trying to figure out my testing what situations DR is good in and what time spiral is good in. My findings include:
    1. Diminishing returns is better when you need to refill your hand, but more often than not you have to pass the turn afterwards, giving your opponent time to interact with his new hand.
    2. Time spiral is worse at that, but better used as a storm engine that generates a lot of mana when it resolves, making it more likely than diminishing returns to kill the opponent on the spot when you untap and draw your new seven.
    3. This makes time spiral probably better against the aggressive non-blue decks and decks that give you a lot of set up time and let you build up lands.
    4. Diminishing returns is better when you mulligan some and need it to restock your hand.
    5. Diminishing returns is better against discard decks that attack your hand because you need a cheap way to refill.

Also, I had a question... Was their a consensus a while back to run 3 fetches and 4 gemstone mine instead of 4 fetches 3 mine?

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Endure2004 View Post
    Also, I had a question... Was their a consensus a while back to run 3 fetches and 4 gemstone mine instead of 4 fetches 3 mine?
    Casting Silence is a cool thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Bryant Cook

My line of reasoning for the therapy switch from silence maindeck include:
    1. Therapy is easier to cast, and you can cast it before the combo turn, freeing up extra mana for the combo turn.
    2. You can cast it off dark ritual.
    3. It makes empty the warrens better (flashback after the goblins to ensure the win)
    4. It's not a dead draw against non-blue decks.

That said, I'm still trying it out and I'm not sure whether it is right or not. The testing has gone well, and the plan post board is to bring in the 3 xantid swarms against the blue decks, which should invalidate all their counterspells / spell pierces / whatever.
    1.) The counter argument is that now you're putting them on the live draw. Did they draw Spell Pierce/Force of Will?
    2.) It's much more vulnerable to hiding effects. (Brainstorm/Sensei's Diving Top)
    3.) Can't psuedo "Time Walk" he opponent.
    4.) Cards like Stifle, Envelope, REB/BEB, Surgical Extraction, Spell Snare, and others become a real card against you.

Don't get me wrong, I like Therapy, but I feel that Silence is too good to cut.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Your opponent is more likely to let Therapy resolve than Duress, IMO cause opponents are baddies.

Edit: Loving the shit out of Silence/Therapy.
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    1.) The counter argument is that now you're putting them on the live draw. Did they draw Spell Pierce/Force of Will?
    2.) It's much more vulnerable to hiding effects. (Brainstorm/Sensei's Diving Top)
    4.) Cards like Stifle, Envelope, REB/BEB, Surgical Extraction, Spell Snare, and others become a real card against you.

Indeed; lest we not forget about (concerning 'hiding' effects'), in addition to BS/SDT, Snapcaster Mage (in resp. to Therapy)—> Spell Pierce, Counterspell, etc. Chant effects are simply a cut above on a combo turn.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

1. True, but having a therapy in the yard and 1/2 counterspells in their yard vs. having a silence in hand and them having 1/2 counterspells in hand is pretty close. Silence is a better general answer to all things counterspell-ish, but it always has to be cast on the combo turn. I think this point is decently close...
    2. Agreed.
    3. How valuable is this effect?
    4. Many of those cards can be negated by the 3 sideboard xantid swarms that are freed up by therapy slots in the board.

Not arguing or saying that you're wrong or anything, just encouraging healthy discussion :)

Bryant Cook

1. True, but having a therapy in the yard and 1/2 counterspells in their yard vs. having a silence in hand and them having 1/2 counterspells in hand is pretty close. Silence is a better general answer to all things counterspell-ish, but it always has to be cast on the combo turn. I think this point is decently close...
    2. Agreed.
    3. How valuable is this effect?
    4. Many of those cards can be negated by the 3 sideboard xantid swarms that are freed up by therapy slots in the board.

Not arguing or saying that you're wrong or anything, just encouraging healthy discussion :)
    1.) Therapy in the yard has little or no value. If you can Flashback Cabal Therapy, you're probably already in good shape (You have Goblins or Bees).
    2.) Good.
    3.) It's incredible, you haven't done this yet?
    4.) Look at what decks are likely to bring in those cards. Tempo variants mostly, Xantid is traditionally not very good in those match-ups.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

They're not bees.

Bryant Cook

Cook’s Kitchen – Storm Hands I

They're definitely bees.

Blub.
    Oct 2010
    Germany

Hand IV – TES is on the draw against RUG Delver/Canadian Threshold. You probed (-18) and then said Delver attacks you for three to 17. Not a big deal, just mentioned it.

Those scenarios and thoughts are well written and nice to know, as well as the Ant thoughts/scenarios of Mon, Goblin Chief. Thanks, Mr. Cook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Are you guys fucking serious? Like really?

May 2011
    Louisiana

They're definitely bees.
    I enjoyed the article.

Only one nitpick, hand three is overly fictional. Two reasons why. Firstly, you wouldn't ever go that low with an Ad Nauseum in a real game. Secondly, there would have been a lot more showboating with all that mana floating.

Thanks for the article.

The merrits of Silence vs Cabal Therapy aside, one of the arguments for Cabal Therapy is that even if Cabal Therapy is a weaker disruption spell its a more mana efficient disruption spell, which opens the door to playing a 3 color deck, more fetch lands and basic lands to increase the efficiency of Brainstorm and the resiliency vs Wasteland.

I'm rather fond of Silence's synergy with Diminishing Returns and easy access to green mana for Xantid Swarms and Abrupt Decays, but maybe there's benefits to using Cabal Therapy that go beyond a direct comparison between it and Silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    The merrits of Silence vs Cabal Therapy aside, one of the arguments for Cabal Therapy is that even if Cabal Therapy is a weaker disruption spell its a more mana efficient disruption spell, which opens the door to playing a 3 color deck, more fetch lands and basic lands to increase the efficiency of Brainstorm and the resiliency vs Wasteland.

I'm rather fond of Silence's synergy with Diminishing Returns and easy access to green mana for Xantid Swarms and Abrupt Decays, but maybe there's benefits to using Cabal Therapy that go beyond a direct comparison between it and Silence.
    This is exactly the line of reasoning my friends and I have moved UBr and out of 5 color. I was finding with the 4 or less fetch lands there just wasn't enough shuffle effects to really take advantage of Ponder and Brainstorm. With the 4 Probes, 2 Duress, and 1 Inquisition you have more than enough reveal effects for Therapy to hit almost every single time.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post

Playing a mana base with duals, 3.5 colors, and basics is just as awkward as playing a five color mana base. It's also just as susceptible to Wasteland.

Playing a mana base with duals, 3.5 colors, and basics is just as awkward as playing a five color mana base. It's also just as susceptible to Wasteland.
    I meant Fetchlands, Dual Lands and Basics foregoing White and Green altogether, essentially the UBR Tendrils decks where the only judgement call is between whether or not you want to play Cabal Ritual and 0-2 Chrome Mox or Rite of Flame and 3-4 Chrome Mox where you're left choosing between consistency and speed. Without extraneous color requirements, the deck's manabase should be more stable.

Essentially all black disruption lets you reconsider your manabase and subsequently your SB options, I'm not sure that's something TES actually wants, but it's there.

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

Hi all,

Regarding this list:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post684187

I used same but: -1 Empty +3rd Karakas.

I took then this to a small tournament and won,
    1) I won 2-0 to UGR Canadian
    2) I won 2-0 to UBW Blade with Inquisition Vendilion
    3) I lost to UBG 2-1
    4) Won 2-1 To Charbelcher

Key Notes:
    The 1) match up was key at the 5th Chants efffects avoiding a hand with Snare, Snare, Stifle and previously took out the FoW
    I didin't need the Empty Base neccesary to win vs this. maybe
    The only thing I side in was a -1 C.Moxen +1 Karakas as the Chant effects shine here and the Mox is better to use 3 than 4 in these kind of match up.
    I find that mosts of the times I don't think my opponent is going to play Karakas I always side +1 = -1 C.Moxen to gain consistency in land drops vs both tempo and control.

The 2) match up was incredible I only have to say I won with a total 3 moxen in hand and a Vendilion in play. My A.N at 8 lifes won me the game leaving me at exact 1 life. Great.
    I used in second the dimishing. Great also.

the 3) match up I as always win first game, I misplayed in 2nd game as I expected Pernicius in hand and didn't played Gobbos instead a Diminishing, that was a friend and I know he always plays Perni in base, althoutgh the diminishng was going to win me the game, the boy drew the FoW. and cut the key spell, sometimes happens that even opponent playing bad, he hits the spell to counter. All I can say that in that strange scenario if opponent was playing well I had won this match up, Strange.

In the 4) match up I drew this:
    Rite Of Flame, Rite Of Flame, Dark Ritual, I.Tutor, Grim Tutor, GemsTone, Petal. On the draw and drawing Ponder as 8th card. (only match up I drew Grim Tutor in hand.)
    This is a First Turn Win my friends, coincidence? maybe, After tournament I tested hands of 6 cards plus Grim Tutor, I think that card is fine, not the best one but fine and can behaves in many roles. Also you can play it on second turn bia Moxen or via D.Ritual to take the LED...
    At its worst it creates +1 storm and can filter mana, thing that is important. even post A.N. if needed.

I' ve been having in mind the Reforge the Soul when playing those match ups, but the feeling is that when you have played 2 LEDs to play the Diminishing you almost always want these LEDs back up in the Deck, and with Reforge this does not happen, also I like to play Moxen printing things that you see useless post Diminishng to avoid drawing them again (lands, mox->Orims, etc.)
    The fact is that at least 7 (cost 4 plus 3 to get 60% percentages) mana is neccessary to make Diminishing good in the turn you cast it to win that same turn,
    I think with Reforge you simply have less chance of winning because of Not Suffling effect and -1 mana.

What I think I'm going to test is Epic Experiment as I'd like to know the percentages with total 7 mana (same as Diminihing). and makes you draw 5 Free Casting as opossed to drawing 7 Not Free Casting.
    Anyone by here has tested this and know Win ratios with 7 or 8 mana?

Edit: Tested recently, this card seems awfull to me... any other agree? But making it a Bomb on its own and not letting the Opponent to draw FoWs seems a great difference. Its a Shame the card doesn't recoup LEDs...

Apart, and regarding this:

They're definitely bees.
    I see this article as an excuse to going on playing those Gitaxian...
    Good luck at beating those RUG and BUG!
    Last edited by Pelikanudo; 11-18-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build
    Yes, I am advanced and you know it...

Suggestion: Play Magic as a Hobby. Competitiveness is uniquely usefull in this Era and just to evolve the human being to a certain extent...

Sep 2011
    Birmingham, AL

I just want to chime in here with some thoughts after not following this thread for a while due to me getting bored of TES recently. TES in its new form is sexy. Probes are great. MD empty is great. I've concluded this months ago. TES is also very customizable. The deck can be built many, many different ways. So people build it the way you want to play it and fit your playstyle and share with everyone. This is why this archetype is amazing it's super customizable to your preferences. Anyways love the deck love the thread. Keep it civil boys and stay at it because the day I come back to this beloved archetype I'll need the new list =D.

P.S. I'm so glad you fagbois are now playing Reforge the souls, it's the tits.
    P.P.S. Swag.

Played this for a Mox. I usually post my report on storm boards but I usually get no feedback.

1 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Duress
    3 Silence
    2 Orim's Chant
    2 Ad Nauseam
    4 Gemstone Mine
    2 City of Brass
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Rite of Flame
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Flooded Strand
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Grapeshot
    SB: 1 Diminishing Returns
    SB: 1 Chain of Vapor
    SB: 2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    SB: 1 Thoughtseize
    SB: 2 Karakas
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 1 Telemin Preformance

The sideboard is slightly different from normal. I ran one less chain one telemin. The Telemin was because there was 2 or 3 players I knew would be on storm and hypergenisis (no spirit guide). I cut carpet of flowers last minute. There is a super arrogant storm player, I will call him Dagbar Doubledick, and I refused to lose to him.
    Round 1- Maverick
    I went to sit down for my match and Dagbar Doubledick informed my opponent I was on "TPS" I told his opponent he was on storm. My opponents game plan didn't change too much because he was on maverick. His opponent was on stone blade and mulliganed to 5 to get Force. He had probe therapy (playing the list that won the European GP). I mulliganed and had a pretty terrible hand of 1 land 2 infernal tutor 1 burning wish 2 chrome mox. I proceeded to only draw lands while he aggressivly wastelanded me. I wished for diminishing returns to try to salavage my hand. His mulligans + his tons of wastelands left neither of us doing much of anything. He got ooze into play and started attacking for 2. I cast diminishing returns floating 2. My hand was more trash, lots of lands, lots of silences and a lone infernal tutor. I chant walked him for 3 turns while he attacked for 2. He cast jitte and attacked. Next turn I drew ad nauseam and cast it at 12 life. I was able to deal 18, and he was at 17, but he remembered jitte and I lost. Game 2 I boarded out duress, silence and a chant and boarded in inquisition, karakas, chain, and decay. I inquisitioned his cannonist and won on turn 2. Game 3 my opener had karakas and I brainstormed turn 1 setting up turn 2 through a thalia or teeg. He played teeg and I won next turn.

1-0 (2-0)

Round 2 GBx Loam

I kept an opener of mox mox silence brainstorm ponder brainstorm led. It was rather risky. I led with mox imprint ponder which resolved, ponder. I cast brainstorm. I drew gemstone rite of flame ad nauseam. I put back silence and ad nauseam. He played wooded foothills and passeed. I drew silence and played gemstone, led, mox imprint silence, rite of flame. I cast brainstorm and responded with led. He put a card facedown and card to his exile zone bluffing force. It resolved and i cast ad nauseam winning. I sided nothing. My opener was dark ritual, dark ritual, lotus petal, ad nauseam, rite, rite, rite. He played a wooded foothills. I drew something that wasnt mana. He drew and tanked. Then passed. I drew nothing. He fetched and cycled a thicket. Then he drew and told me to go. I drew underground sea and won. He was holding chalice waiting to chalice at 1.

I found out Doubledick had been belched. lol
    2-0 (4-0)

Round 3 Rug

Game one I duressed him and his hand was daze, fow, spell pierce. I slow rolled him wishing for return and baiting chant. He let it resolve. Next turn I chanted and he forced. I cast diminishing with 3 floating, he spell pierced. I was dead on next turn to a team. With my new 7 I cast rite of flame. He dazed. I played a land and cast dark ritual, led. He dazed led, I paid. I cast infernal tutor using led to make black and get tendrils. I said storm was 13. He conceded. Tendrils would have been 14. I only had 3 mana. Game 2 I fought through his force, stifil, spell pierce and wastelands eventually going off with past in flames dead on board. He had surgical extraction. Game 3 My opener was petal petal ad nauseam land land inqusition mox. I inqusitioned him and his hand was fow goyf daze spell pierce ponder stifil land. I took his gofy and he didnt draw a threat for six or 7 turns. He played a land and cast delver. He had a fetch in play. I fetched and he predictably stifiled. With him tapped out I played the "Tendrils for the draw" casting petal petal mox tendrils for 8 going to 24. Time was called and his delver flipped. He cast 2 more delvers and they both flipped. He got me to 15 before the game ended in a draw. He asked if I wanted to concede. I said no, because fuck RUG delver.

2-0-1 (5-1-1)

Round 4 Stoneblade
    This guy made a very convincing argument that I should concede to him. It was something like "I don't care if its bad for you, its good for me so you should concede so I can draw in" I palyed. He went tundra factory and I played the SUPER long game with. Eventually I had 5 lands in play and after brainstorm my hand was quad chant effect 3 rite of flame wish ad nauseam. I put two chants back and played chant, it resolved. He vialed a batterskull. He attacked I went to 13. On my turn I went chant, resolved then I played rite rite rite wish past in flames rite rite rite ad nauseam and flipped the second ad nauseam as the frist card going to 8. I went to 2 getting double led and casting infernal into tendrils. Game 2 I wished for thoughtsieze and thoughtseized he mana leaked and I paid with a dark ritual. I took force. The rest of his hand was batterskull snapcaster and mystic. He played land 3 and passed. I went for it and he had force (he drew it for turn) Game 3 he played wasteland and passed I cast duress he said "Shit..." and took force of will. He played mystic gate and cast ponder. I brainstomed some bricks. He cast mystic and I was out of cantrips for 3 turns. I went for it and he had force of will. Turns out wasteland mystic does not make blue mana. He cheated there and I was bad for not knowing how lesser know crappy duals work.

2-1-1 (6-3-1)

Round 5 Rug
    I went tarn volcanic, "ponder" he asked, ponder I said and cast ponder. He wasted it. I played misty and fetched sea playing brainstorm. On his turn he wasted me. I played gemstone petal rite led wish for empty. He was kinda irritated. He had spell pierce in hand and had put me on rug. The next two games were land delver + 5 counterspells + stifiles and aggressive wastelands. If you have seen the deck play it isn't too hard to imagine.

I found after the fact Dagbar had got paired against my friend running standard bant with 2 flusterstorms 4 fow main. Side board crypts and a set of mindbreak traps. He easily beat Dagbar despite his claim that "Only bad storm players lose to mindbreak trap"

Props:
    Bryant for such a sweet deck
    Jeff Cosgrove's wife for sweet muffins
    Iven for killing ant with a (lets be honest) terrible deck running an assload of hate

slops:
    Dagbar Doubledick for being a Douchbag
    Stoneblade player for cheating with mystic gate
    iven for not getting me on the correct high way and letting me drive an hour in the complete opposite direction.
    Dagbar for being a tool box

Seriously this guy ad nauseamed to 1 at the last open and used a fetch land then said he was at 2 conceding when he opponent started to call a judge. He has also tried to use led as black lotus in the past.
    Last edited by a boss; 11-20-2012 at 05:03 AM. Reason: typo

Thread Information