Page 52 of 446 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 8918

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Burn win next week. Non-basics everywhere.
    Exactly what I said when I saw the Top 16 lists. Copy-cat BUG lists and Burn with PoP to win the shindig.

@AriLax
    Can you share your list? It sounds substantially (3 cards is enough I guess) from Bryant's in the opening post. I agree with DReturns over Reforge as a "re-buy", especially since you can recycle LED's with the former. Are you running Tendrils main over EtW?

Cheers
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by AriLax View Post
    If anything, the results of the weekend make TES a much better deck. Less Miracles, more lightly disruptive, mediocre clock blue decks.
    I played in two Legacy side events and X-0'd them both. Destroying Miracles in one of the matches, felt good.

But I agree that TES is in a slightly better position in the metagame, there has been less Thalia as well as Counterbalance. My losses were to Spiral Tide (I wreck his hand and leave him with 0 cards, on my next turn go off, the card he drew was flusterstorm), Esperblade (Discard + Countermagic got there), and UB Tempo (Josh Cho's deck, see: Esperblade).

Thoughtseize paired with Force of Will was tough, but I was never out in either match - I only lost by a slight margin. Both rounds I had a window of 1-3 turns where if I drew a number of cards I won, but it sadly didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    @AriLax
    Can you share your list? It sounds substantially (3 cards is enough I guess) from Bryant's in the opening post. I agree with DReturns over Reforge as a "re-buy", especially since you can recycle LED's with the former. Are you running Tendrils main over EtW?
    MD:
    -1 Empty the Warrens
    +1 Tendrils of Agony

SB:
    -1 Reforge the Soul
    -1 Past in Flames
    -1 Grapeshot
    -1 Cabal Therapy
    +1 Ill-gotten Gains
    +1 Diminishing Returns
    +1 Deathmark
    +1 Thoughtseize

I'm also not sold on Therapy vs Inquisition vs Thoughtseize, but I know I want the Wish utility to choose between Seize and Therapy when necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Until I can play storm perfectly, I have not played it enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kibler
    Funny enough I was 18 once too. It was sweet, but being me now is way sweeter.

MD:
    -1 Empty the Warrens
    +1 Tendrils of Agony

SB:
    -1 Reforge the Soul
    -1 Past in Flames
    -1 Grapeshot
    -1 Cabal Therapy
    +1 Ill-gotten Gains
    +1 Diminishing Returns
    +1 Deathmark
    +1 Thoughtseize

I'm also not sold on Therapy vs Inquisition vs Thoughtseize, but I know I want the Wish utility to choose between Seize and Therapy when necessary.
    I'm running similar. I'm sticking with Tendrils main over ETW for most events almost fully out of personal preference.

I tried Reforge over Diminishing, but found the reshuffle and D7 plus reduced cost gave me a better shot at winning versus an easier to cast (color-wise) but ultimately more expensive D7 without a reshuffle.

Ill-Gotten has done more work for me than Past in Flames as well, I can't actually remember the last time I cast Past in Flames except to showboat, whereas there have been games that wouldn't have been won without IGG.

Agreed with Thoughtseize and Therapy mix. I'm doing the same.

I'm still playing Grapeshot over Deathmark, though.

Feb 2010
    Houston,texas

Reanimtor sucks for me! Just playtested a dozen games or so. We didn't keep numerical count but I won 2-3 of them. I don't own Karakas so my board is 4 xantid for now. The Main is Bryant's.

Iona is the killer here. If he lands entomb -> Iona -> Reanimation spell...I am screwed. Iona on Red...so retarded. Please help!

The ONLY thing I can think to do is mull more aggressively.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Oiolosse View Post
    Reanimtor sucks for me! Just playtested a dozen games or so. We didn't keep numerical count but I won 2-3 of them. I don't own Karakas so my board is 4 xantid for now. The Main is Bryant's.

Iona is the killer here. If he lands entomb -> Iona -> Reanimation spell...I am screwed. Iona on Red...so retarded. Please help!

Suggestions? Thanks!
    Getting Karakas is a good solution. So is sliding Tendrils main if he consistently calls red.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaka View Post
    Getting Karakas is a good solution. So is sliding Tendrils main if he consistently calls red.
    You could just run chain of vapor or echoing truth over karakas in the board if he keeps naming red, punish him for it. Or run maindeck tendrils of agony as you can then easily win through iona on red as all of our important spells are black mainly with the red cards being 4 rite of flame and 3-4 wish. Another plan against reanimator is to chant walk them after entomb or to discard their hand into oblivion then going off before they do. You should also be thankful that your opponent doesn't go for griselbrand, that guy is a nightmare to win through typically if you lack karakas. Seriously, obtain karakas as fast as possible. The card is insanely powerful in storm combo.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Suggestions? Thanks!
    Still like to steal games against Reanimator with a Bribery or Reanimate in the board.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Silence aggressively to Time Walk when they have a guy in bin, kill more on turn 2.

Bryant Cook

Article.

I storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Article.

I storm.
    Partially agree with cutting swarm; on the one hand, it is very good against the BUG decks since they're probably boarding out abrupt decay against us, but on the other hand because deathrite shaman bug decks are becoming so popular reanimator seems like a poor choice which means the swarms would be boarded in less. I think the sideboard cut might be Karakas instead of swarm though if reanimator does just fall off the map, it's not really that good against Show and Tell because they have omniscience and maverick is dying out and we have abrupt decay to deal with hatebears if the game goes that long. Swarm is good against both BUG variants and U/W variants, both of which are harder matchups than maverick.

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

I read your Baltimore article, Cook. I do agree that xantid isn't what it use to be and needs to be switched * even though I love the bug*. Another thought is to run 4 cabals sideboard and only sideboard in 3 so you can wish for one post sideboard. I found this to be effective in the little testing I've done. I'm playing the 4th over 2nd Karakas as I only own 1.

Also, what's your thoughts on the turbo eldrazi deck that's being played? How would you side against it? What would you fear more to be played against you, a Mindbreak trap, or a flusterstorm?

If you could give some light on the matchup, I'd appreciate it.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by r3dd09 View Post
    What would you fear more to be played against you, a Mindbreak trap, or a flusterstorm?
    Silence.
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    Too bad the deck doesn't run white. I stated the two cards as that's what is being discussed in the Eldrazi Ramp deck.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Too bad the deck doesn't run white. I stated the two cards as that's what is being discussed in the Eldrazi Ramp deck.
    Silence beats both?

You shouldn't be scared of terrible cards.
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Bryant Cook

I read your Baltimore article, Cook. I do agree that xantid isn't what it use to be and needs to be switched * even though I love the bug*. Another thought is to run 4 cabals sideboard and only sideboard in 3 so you can wish for one post sideboard. I found this to be effective in the little testing I've done. I'm playing the 4th over 2nd Karakas as I only own 1.

Also, what's your thoughts on the turbo eldrazi deck that's being played? How would you side against it? What would you fear more to be played against you, a Mindbreak trap, or a flusterstorm?

If you could give some light on the matchup, I'd appreciate it.
    The fourth Cabal has the same problem as the fourth Duress in the sideboard. There just aren't enough cards to sideboard out to bring them all in.

Flusterstorm is probably tougher? I'm not really sure. MBT is only good if the storm player isn't expecting it. Combo players expect counterspells from blue decks.

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    The fourth Cabal has the same problem as the fourth Duress in the sideboard. There just aren't enough cards to sideboard out to bring them all in.

Flusterstorm is probably tougher? I'm not really sure. MBT is only good if the storm player isn't expecting it. Combo players expect counterspells from blue decks.
    Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing, and if we have the mana to cast silence first, we'd do it anyways 1. storm count 2. it's just to be safe.

When I was running 3 Cabals, I did leave one in the side still to be able to wish for it. I liked having more access to it versus having all of them in post sideboard. But that's just me.

100% agree on cutting Swarm for major events. I don't think I've seen a Show and Tell list in an SCG top 8 for a long time, meaning the only deck I've seen in those events I want it against is High Tide. Not only is that a good matchup already, but I don't think it's a real metagame factor for most events.

Disclaimer: New England has some obscene Candelabra surplus (last event I played had 5 Turbo-Eldrazi and 3-4 High Tide out of 44 players) and a bunch of Show and Tell fanatics, so I'll likely keep two copies for local events.

Bryant Cook

100% agree on cutting Swarm for major events. I don't think I've seen a Show and Tell list in an SCG top 8 for a long time, meaning the only deck I've seen in those events I want it against is High Tide. Not only is that a good matchup already, but I don't think it's a real metagame factor for most events.

Disclaimer: New England has some obscene Candelabra surplus (last event I played had 5 Turbo-Eldrazi and 3-4 High Tide out of 44 players) and a bunch of Show and Tell fanatics, so I'll likely keep two copies for local events.
    I wouldn't even want it against High Tide. Silence, Duress, and Therapy provide disruption as well as protect your self. That match-up is all about being faster or crippling them.

I don't see Tide/Turbo Eldrazi at weeklies or even Jupiter events (Maybe two people total, sometimes). I just don't see a good reason to continue playing the bugs.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Koby has made top 8 of SCG Vegas piloting EPIC storm, I hope he takes down the whole thing.

@ Ari,

lol, yeah, I was there and playing Show and Tell with Omniscience. There were more Candles there than at a GP.

@Bryant,

What happened at SCG Prov? I was watching out for you to get you in a feature but your tie breakers must've kept you low on the list.

Thread Information