Page 53 of 446 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 8918

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Bryant Cook

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Quote Originally Posted by rxavage View Post
    Koby has made top 8 of SCG Vegas piloting EPIC storm, I hope he takes down the whole thing.

@ Ari,

lol, yeah, I was there and playing Show and Tell with Omniscience. There were more Candles there than at a GP.

@Bryant,

What happened at SCG Prov? I was watching out for you to get you in a feature but your tie breakers must've kept you low on the list.
    I made top 32, I picked up my second loss round 6 or 7.

EDIT: Go Jacob! (Has he had any on-camera feature matches?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I made top 32, I picked up my second loss round 6 or 7.

EDIT: Go Jacob! (Has he had any on-camera feature matches?)
    No those SCG people didn't put him under the camera all day, although I bet he got the fake feature matches i.e. off camera ones that don't really matter since he was undefeated the entire day. I hope he has camera feature matches in the top 8 though, that would be great. Better than watching some of these other decks...

I want to see Koby grapeshot some people though all things considered.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

They just announced Koby beat Bant Maverick in the T8.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    They just announced Koby beat Bant Maverick in the T8.
    Here's the list:

13 Land
    4 Gemstone Mine
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 City of Brass
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Volcanic Island

47 Spells
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Silence
    4 Duress
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Ponder
    4 Rite of Flame
    3 Chrome Mox
    3 Burning Wish
    1 Ad Nauseam

15 Sideboard
    3 Chain of Vapor
    2 Xantid Swarm
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Karakas
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

The Enchanter
    Mar 2012
    Council Bluffs, IA

That list is wrapped in latex.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Congrats Koby
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Sideboard
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Stifle
    2 Through the Breach
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Shattering Spree

Seriously... the fuck...
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.

Buying cardboard >
    Jan 2011
    801,Utah

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    Sideboard
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Stifle
    2 Through the Breach
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Shattering Spree

Seriously... the fuck...
    Whose sideboard was this?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Sideboard
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Stifle
    2 Through the Breach
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Shattering Spree

Seriously... the fuck...
    There was no way i would have won this match. Point one: Mindbreak Trap. Point two: Flusterstorm. Point thee: Griselbrand lifelink + bargain.

In short, the match was one for the viewers. Karakas is a boss.

Back to my nap at a gas station 100 mi out from Vegas on a street called Ghost Town Rd. Famous last words?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jun 2012
    Argentina

no wincon maindeck? strange

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Northern Ireland

13 Land
    4 Gemstone Mine
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 City of Brass
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Volcanic Island

47 Spells
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Silence
    4 Duress
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Ponder
    4 Rite of Flame
    3 Chrome Mox
    3 Burning Wish
    1 Ad Nauseam

15 Sideboard
    3 Chain of Vapor
    2 Xantid Swarm
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Karakas
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    A summary of the differences that make this list notable from common lists:

//Main Deck
    -1 Empty the Warrens
    -1 Burning Wish
    +1 Duress
    +1 Fetch Land

//Sideboard
    -3 Cabal Therapy
    +3 Chain of Vapor

--

Even with my limited experience, I'll come right out and say it - no win condition main deck seems like a flaw. I've won quite a few games off the back of a hand that can generate 6 mana, tutoring into an Empty the Warrens.

Also, anything that shuts off Burning Wish kills this list. True that protecting from blow-outs like Surgical Extraction/Meddling Mage/Runed Halo shouldn't be too difficult, particularly as these cards see little play, but there doesn't seem to be much of a reward for this risk. Running less than 4 copies of Burning Wish doesn't help this approach.

I guess my main point is:

I don't think any possible gain that the exclusion of a main deck win-condition offers would outweigh the variety of options that having this single card slot brings. I feel that including one has little detriment to the deck, but provides significant benefits.

--

The exclusion of one Burning Wish is interesting. I doubt it is correct and I'm sure it would have been discussed before - but re-evaluating is rarely a bad thing. I'd be curious to hear other peoples opinions on this matter.

--

I can certainly see a situational merit of having 3 Chain of Vapor over Cabal Therapy. I think they both do a similar job against some decks like Maverick, but I personally feel Therapy is more versatile against a variety of other decks instead of just against permanent based hate. One is proactive rather than reactive which is an important distinction.

Good job on the finish Jacob, I'd love to read a tournament report and hear your thoughts.

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

I'm against removing the EtW from the mainboard, because it's almost always a good card to draw, and it increases the strenght of Infernal Tutor. I don't really see a reason not to run it. The fact that the list can only win with Burning Wish is practically never an issue. Even if there's a Meddling Mage active, you can still Ad Nauseam and get the bounce/Decay you boarded in.

I have been playing with 3 Burning Wish for a very long time. I don't nearly like Wish as much as most people here. 80% of my Wishes go to EtW if they're not post-AdN. Drawing a second Wish is pretty much always bad, except when you want to go IGG (but then IT is still usually much better). I hate having to do Wish to Returns. I wouldn't cut Wish beyond 3 though, since the versatility of Wishtargets before combo is pretty relevant.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

May 2011
    Louisiana

Guys. Doomsday decks have been going without a maindeck win condition for a while now. It isn't that unheard of. It makes your Ad Nauseum even better too. Not saying it is right or not, but apparently it isn't bad.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Northern Ireland

Almost completely missed that the sideboard I spoke about had no artifact removal (Hull Breach/Shattering Spree/Revoke Existence). This allowed an extra slot.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by vercadium View Post
    Almost completely missed that the sideboard I spoke about had no artifact removal (Hull Breach/Shattering Spree/Revoke Existence). This allowed an extra slot.
    Between Abrupt Decay and Chain of Vapor, you hit the relevant targets.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by vercadium View Post
    A summary of the differences that make this list notable from common lists:

//Main Deck
    -1 Empty the Warrens
    -1 Burning Wish
    +1 Duress
    +1 Fetch Land

//Sideboard
    -3 Cabal Therapy
    +3 Chain of Vapor

--

Even with my limited experience, I'll come right out and say it - no win condition main deck seems like a flaw. I've won quite a few games off the back of a hand that can generate 6 mana, tutoring into an Empty the Warrens.

Also, anything that shuts off Burning Wish kills this list. True that protecting from blow-outs like Surgical Extraction/Meddling Mage/Runed Halo shouldn't be too difficult, particularly as these cards see little play, but there doesn't seem to be much of a reward for this risk. Running less than 4 copies of Burning Wish doesn't help this approach.

I guess my main point is:

I don't think any possible gain that the exclusion of a main deck win-condition offers would outweigh the variety of options that having this single card slot brings. I feel that including one has little detriment to the deck, but provides significant benefits.

--

The exclusion of one Burning Wish is interesting. I doubt it is correct and I'm sure it would have been discussed before - but re-evaluating is rarely a bad thing. I'd be curious to hear other peoples opinions on this matter.

--

I can certainly see a situational merit of having 3 Chain of Vapor over Cabal Therapy. I think they both do a similar job against some decks like Maverick, but I personally feel Therapy is more versatile against a variety of other decks instead of just against permanent based hate. One is proactive rather than reactive which is an important distinction.

Good job on the finish Jacob, I'd love to read a tournament report and hear your thoughts.
    First things first, congratulations Jacob/Koby.

I'll have to watch your one feature match that was on camera once it's online.

Now, while I'm ecstatic that you performed as well as you did with T.E.S. (Also, Rueben actually called it The EPIC Storm!), I don't like the deck list. I share a lot of the concerns that vercadium posted. No main deck win condition makes the list really susceptible to hate cards as well as limiting the deck's ability. The deck can no longer combo off on turn one with only four mana floating with Infernal Tutor, it also loses the option of just plowing through counterspells into Empty the Warrens. Which is one of the deck's biggest strength's right now, it's actually why I added a second copy to the sideboard.

Burning Wish is the only business spell in your deck, I can't understand why anyone would run less than four, especially with no main deck win condition. You can't reliably ever use it for utility without running the risk of not finding another. Not to mention, you shouldn't be playing Diminishing Returns with only three Wish and no win condition. The exile ten actually comes relevant. There's no sideboard discard spell to make Burning Wish in multiples better, losing the ability to become a protection spell can hurt. With Chain over Therapy you gain the ability to be better against decks like Maverick but Maverick's numbers are already declining and you lose the option of additional protection against blue decks. The lack of additional protection and Empty really make your RUG/BUG match-ups much more difficult.

I do think one thing about the list is interesting and that's potential bounce spells over Hull Breach. Cutting Breach and Ill-Gotten Gains (This card isn't needed, simply a safety net) from my list for two bounce spells may not be bad. I wouldn't run Chain of Vapor though, in New York there's plenty of Chalice of the Voids - I would be playing Echoing Truth.

I probably missed some things, this post was rushed considering I'm at work. I'll check back in later.

Once again, good job.

Quote Originally Posted by joemauer View Post
    Guys. Doomsday decks have been going without a maindeck win condition for a while now. It isn't that unheard of. It makes your Ad Nauseum even better too. Not saying it is right or not, but apparently it isn't bad.
    Doomsday also stacks the Burning Wish so you're guaranteed to find it. Ad Nauseam doesn't give you that luxury. When you're paying life to see more cards, extra copies of win conditions are a huge plus.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

All credit to the list goes to Kirby. I had nothing to do with the list :D #throwsunderbus

I did get lucky with my pairings yesterday:
    R1 dredge
    R2 GW Mongos
    R3 GW Mongos
    R4 Rw Goblins
    R5 BUG Still
    R6 Belcher
    R7 draw
    R8 draw
    Top 8 Bant with 2 fow main

I lost one game va Goblins to a whiff on DReturns. A second against BUG when I couldnt clear/Silence his hand of 2x Spell Snare. A third in Top 8 when I leaned on Xantid Swarm and my opponent Path'd it (? Previous leveled) ad had Safekeeper with Teeg going against Karakas. Then of course Sneak Show match, which from my testing with the deck comes down to one thing: Griselbrand is game for Storm.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Bryant Cook

All credit to the list goes to Kirby. I had nothing to do with the list :D #throwsunderbus

I did get lucky with my pairings yesterday:
    R1 dredge
    R2 GW Mongos
    R3 GW Mongos
    R4 Rw Goblins
    R5 BUG Still
    R6 Belcher
    R7 draw
    R8 draw
    Top 8 Bant with 2 fow main

I lost one game va Goblins to a whiff on DReturns. A second against BUG when I couldnt clear/Silence his hand of 2x Spell Snare. A third in Top 8 when I leaned on Xantid Swarm and my opponent Path'd it (? Previous leveled) ad had Safekeeper with Teeg going against Karakas. Then of course Sneak Show match, which from my testing with the deck comes down to one thing: Griselbrand is game for Storm.
    Some questions:

• Did you at any point want Hull Breach, Spree, or anything like that?
    • How were the bounce spells next to Decay?
    • Did you use Ill-Gotten Gains at all? (I rarely find myself wanting this card, it's only good in already good match-ups. I've gone through nine round events and never played it multiple times.)

I spent a good hour arguing with Kirby over facebook message about the list. Kid is hard to get through to.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Some questions:

• Did you at any point want Hull Breach, Spree, or anything like that?
    • How were the bounce spells next to Decay?
    • Did you use Ill-Gotten Gains at all? (I rarely find myself wanting this card, it's only good in already good match-ups. I've gone through nine round events and never played it multiple times.)

I spent a good hour arguing with Kirby over facebook message about the list. Kid is hard to get through to.
    Based on my matchups: I never wanted or needed artifact removal. abrupt Decay covers that sufficiently.

Bounce was great against Maverick to supplement ADecay against hatebears. One game went like this: Chain your Hierarch. chain your Hierarch. Karakas your Thalia and silence. Make 30 goblins

I used IGG once against Goblins to generate lethal storm from LED x 2 and BWish where PIF wouldnt work. I nevered wished for PIF in the tournament. PiF wouldnt have worked since I also had no Rituals to flashback.

Im def sure i misplayed and/or misboarded vs Sneak Show. I had no clue what to cut for karakas and xantid, was playing Magic for 12 hours at that point, tired, and had already split the Top 4. I want to review the tape to improve what went wrong there.

FWIW, i would have played 1 Tendrils main vs 1 Duress if I had more testing with the deck.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Thread Information