Page 7 of 446 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Bryant Cook

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Quote Originally Posted by egosum View Post
    This is simply bad. The reason is because you are playing Infernal Tutors, so if you draw an early infernal Tutor, or have it in your hand when resolving Ad Nauseam, you either need to draw cards you can play (or a LED, and LED does not always happen to appear), flipping to the deadline may give you just too many lands or too many blue cards (with not enough blue mana). Summing up, what I mean, it that flipping (with at least 16 life) until you can't flip anymore may win most of times, but not always, just take this into consideration.

Greetings,

Iņaki.-
    I understand where you're coming from but how often does it come up that Infernal Tutor with no Lion's Eye Diamond, you can cast every card, and Ad Nauseam hasn't revealed multiple lands? Not very often. I usually reveal until I hit the stop number (Cards that can kill me + variables), then I showboat for awhile.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    ...then I showboat for awhile.
    In this regard also, Echoing Truth > Chain of Vapor.

The former lets you showboat while the latter does not. (And I guess sometimes it's relevant to obtain lethal storm.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

The odds that you WON'T flip a burning wish off of ad nauseam is pretty low unless you have somehow used a bunch of burning wish. That's the nice thing about BWish, you don't need to be hellbent for it to work you just need 6 mana total.

As for showboating with chain/echoing, it depends on how many lands you have and how many of a given artifact you have. If you have 2 lands, you can bounce at most 3 chrome mox/petal/LED's while with echoing truth you can theoretically bounce 4 of a kind, but how often do you have all 4 LED's/petal's/moxen in play? Not very often. Still, we're debating over how to showboat the best but I definitely like Bryant's plan of tendrils for 18, flashback ad nauseam, draw the rest, cast everything, grapeshot for 60. Still have yet to do that in a tournament, but the moment I do I'll probably be smiling and my opponent will probably life tilt afterwards.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    The odds that you WON'T flip a burning wish off of ad nauseam is pretty low unless you have somehow used a bunch of burning wish. That's the nice thing about BWish, you don't need to be hellbent for it to work you just need 6 mana total.

As for showboating with chain/echoing, it depends on how many lands you have and how many of a given artifact you have. If you have 2 lands, you can bounce at most 3 chrome mox/petal/LED's while with echoing truth you can theoretically bounce 4 of a kind, but how often do you have all 4 LED's/petal's/moxen in play? Not very often. Still, we're debating over how to showboat the best but I definitely like Bryant's plan of tendrils for 18, flashback ad nauseam, draw the rest, cast everything, grapeshot for 60. Still have yet to do that in a tournament, but the moment I do I'll probably be smiling and my opponent will probably life tilt afterwards.
    It happens often for me
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    In this regard also, Echoing Truth > Chain of Vapor.

The former lets you showboat while the latter does not. (And I guess sometimes it's relevant to obtain lethal storm.)
    As someone who has done it a lot of times, I can definitively tell you that Chain > ETruth for Storm ramping. The issue is TES really doesn't care much about that effect as it is rarely setting up for the direct IT/BW - Tendrils. For the 7 you pay to Chain, bounce stuff, Tutor, Tendrils you probably could have AdN killed anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I understand where you're coming from but how often does it come up that Infernal Tutor with no Lion's Eye Diamond, you can cast every card, and Ad Nauseam hasn't revealed multiple lands? Not very often. I usually reveal until I hit the stop number (Cards that can kill me + variables), then I showboat for awhile.
    I have yet to have this issue come up with TES, mostly because the main post AdN issue is finding 6 mana to Tendrils with. It's obviously optimal to always calculate if it is lethal and stop if a flip could take you off it, but it's extremely rare that happens in this deck. In ANT it happens a lot mostly because you tend to AdN with more floating, making the issue mostly finding a way to get the Tendrils.
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Until I can play storm perfectly, I have not played it enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kibler
    Funny enough I was 18 once too. It was sweet, but being me now is way sweeter.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

I'd just like to note that one of the few times I stopped flipping on Ad Nauseam as soon as it became clear I could kill my opponent (in the mirror), I got shit from Bryant for it.

Sometimes you just want to finish a match to go buy an $8 bratwurst from the shitty GP venue concession stand.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by AriLax View Post
    As someone who has done it a lot of times, I can definitively tell you that Chain > ETruth for Storm ramping. The issue is TES really doesn't care much about that effect as it is rarely setting up for the direct IT/BW - Tendrils. For the 7 you pay to Chain, bounce stuff, Tutor, Tendrils you probably could have AdN killed anyways.
    I should have been more clear. It's easier to Grapeshot/showboat someone for ridiculous amounts with Echoing Truth.

Chain of Vapor doesn't take you to value town.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    I should have been more clear. It's easier to Grapeshot/showboat someone for ridiculous amounts with Echoing Truth.

Chain of Vapor doesn't take you to value town.
    So you often have more of the same artifact in play then you have lands to sacrifice?

Huh.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Feb 2012
    Northwest

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Really? I only flip what I need. I'd rather not flip down and reveal the whole deck if I can help it. ....
    I figure by the time I've got to round 3, they have seen everything in the deck since it's pretty much 4x of each card in it (for the most part).

Loves Witchcraft. <3
    Oct 2010

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this deck, decided to sell my Maverick some time ago and bought up TES. I've read so much about this deck in this thread, the suggested articles, looked around some of the older threads and watched many hours of videos about the deck being played. I've just started goldfishing and cockatrice either gives me bad hands or I'm lacking something. Every time I get an opening 7, I get at least 4 lands with no filtering. If I get even remotely playable hand and go for it, I start flipping with ADN and always flip another one.

It's actually quite fun to try and learn how to go off from different situations, but I haven't seen (or I've missed) any sort of information about what people like to have in their opening hand. So, out of curiosity I'd like to ask, when do you keep a hand and what makes you mulligan?

Rapin' your villages, Burnin' your women
    Dec 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Machahiko View Post
    Hi,

I'm pretty new to this deck, decided to sell my Maverick some time ago and bought up TES. I've read so much about this deck in this thread, the suggested articles, looked around some of the older threads and watched many hours of videos about the deck being played. I've just started goldfishing and cockatrice either gives me bad hands or I'm lacking something. Every time I get an opening 7, I get at least 4 lands with no filtering. If I get even remotely playable hand and go for it, I start flipping with ADN and always flip another one.

It's actually quite fun to try and learn how to go off from different situations, but I haven't seen (or I've missed) any sort of information about what people like to have in their opening hand. So, out of curiosity I'd like to ask, when do you keep a hand and what makes you mulligan?
    Ill keep almost any reasonable hand with the AdN or LED in it. Reasonable being defined as able to kill by turn 3 at worst. So something like 3 land, rit, adnaus and stuff is reasonable to me. Beyond that you really just want your opener to have some sort of tutor/bomb and some mana. The best thing to evaluate with is to look at how long it'll take you to go off with the hand. If the answer is turn 4 or worse I usually ship

Hi,

TES is a little bit more difficult to just sit down and goldfish. The deck is designed to have options and multiple lines of play depending on the matchup you're up against. So unless you have a scenerio mocked up it will feel a little clunky. UB Ant is easier to fish because the deck is extremely linear, you setup by playing dig spells and discard then chain your tutors into tendrils or iggy loop.

The best way to get better with TES is to play actual games.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

The best way to Brainstorm with TES is to mulligan.

Hi,

For starters, cantripping is not a chore, it's an art, so don't go around shooting your cantrips unless you really need to use them. What does this mean?

Ponder when you need to shape your hand. Shuffle if you need more than 2 cards and the top three doesn't have them. If there are two bad cards and 1 good one, shuffle anyway unless you have a way to shuffle. You don't want to be sitting there, and drawing them. What I mean by good is, they have to be the exact cards you are looking for. Not just more double Dark Rituals. Sometimes this means business and mana, business and protection, protection and mana. It depends on the situation. Save your Brainstorms, they are useful for many situations which including hiding and turning 2 useless cards into 2 useful cards. They also get stronger as the game progresses because when you have no more lands in your deck, Brainstorm finds more business.

That said, any opening hand with lands and cantrip is a keep for me unless you need to be fast in that match up. In that case, you decide if you want to mull or not into a faster hand. If you have no cantrip, but have business (tutors/Ad Nauseam/wishes) and mana, that's also a pretty good keep.

TL;DR: hands with land and cantrips unless you need to kill fast.

Aug 2010
    Philippines

Just want to share:

Went 4-0 and swept all my games today @ a local Tourney with TES

Used practically the same list as the openning post except for -1 Iok, +1 Thoughtseize because I only have 3.

Rd 1 Burn
    G1: T3 Adn -- tendrils
    G2: I started with duress first and found no Pyrostatic pillar. Went off with Adn to tendrils on my second turn.
    2-0

Rd 2 Bant w/ wasteland
    G1: After a few draw go's from him and me cantriping for a few turns, he played Clique on my draw step in which I responded with Orim's that resolved. my hand was 2 LED, Infernal, Burning wish, and dark rit. He chose IT and i drew a 3rd LED. Played everything and showed him IGG since I had another copy of Infernal in my yard. He conceded.
    G2: He started with Noble and showed an early clique on my second turn. I bluffed I was going off by responding with Orim's which he dazed. He decided I should keep my hand. After a few draw go's, and going down to 5 from his clique, I decided to go off on my next turn. I started off with Rite of flame, then Duress. I saw FOW, snare and Daze. I nabbed FOW. Rite of flame, Rite of flame, Burning wish(he snares), mox (no imprint), tapped city for B, LED, Infernal(crack LED in response for BBB), Tendrils for 20.
    2-0

Rd 3 GW Mavs
    G1: T1 ETW for 12. On to G2
    G2: He started off with a Land. I started with duress and saw no hate from him. Went off with Adn on my next 3 turns for a Tendrils for 32 (he had a jitte in play with 2 counters).
    2-0

Rd 3 High Tide.
    G1: I started off with duress. I saw 2 merchant scrolls, a main deck fluster storm, islands and 2 cantrips. I chose the obvious. I manged to resolve a Silence, then went off with AdN and went down to 1. I pondered into LED which I needed, since I didn't have any black mana available and only have ROF, and petal from the flop.
    G2: we both mulled to 6 and I kept a hand of dark rit, Adn, gemstone mine, duress and 2 Iok. I drew duress on my first turn and decided to play attrition with him. my 2 Inquisitions met his flusterstrom and intuition. Then my duress met his FoW. Rite of Flame, Dark rit, Ad Nauseam. I only went down to 8 this time, and played to a lethal tendrils.
    2-0

I got a handsome amount of store credit and converted half of it to cash.
    Thanks for reading and sorry for a long report on a mini tourney.

I've read previous posts about the 2 Ad Naus and thoughts of replacing it with others. All I can say is that the 2 Ad Naus makes this deck more damn powerful.

Sep 2011
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by aljiichiban View Post
    I've read previous posts about the 2 Ad Naus and thoughts of replacing it with others. All I can say is that the 2 Ad Naus makes this deck more damn powerful.
    I love having the 2nd ad nauseam. For one it makes your DR win higher due to having another business spell, and two it makes your opening 7's better as a natural ad nauseam and any mana source is win. That and most people argue hitting the 2nd ad nauseam matters but it really doesn't. The deck only cares about flipping ad nauseam when you are going off at under 10 life, and even then if you get lucky you can still easily win.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Round 6 - Bryant Cook (TES) vs Pat Cox (GW Maverick)

Pat had the following:
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Wasteland
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Gaddock Teeg

Postboard:
    3 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Ethersworn Canonist

Pat later tweeted he won on a mull to four on the draw. Bryant had a turn one Inquisition of Kozilek.

How did this match pan out?

Pat was the only Maverick deck with MBT that I know of. The rest were playing a slew of (splash) hate cards, which included Rule of Law, Leyline of Sanctity, Angel's Grace and other hate bears.

Bryant Cook

G2, I managed to get out of Cannonist/Teeg to find a Mind Break Trap.

g3, I kept a hand of Scalding Tarn, Inquisition of Kozilek, Lion's Eye Diamond, Lion's Eye Diamond, Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Ad Nauseam.

I went fetch, go. He went Forest, Hierarch. I drew a second Rite of Flame. I fetched, Inquisition. I was doing this to play around Wasteland. Gnab GSZ. He plays a Pridemage, I draw a Chant, he draws a land and attacks. I draw some other useless card, He draws Thalia, then Wasteland.

I was on a draw 1 of 80% of my deck for three turns that we're a mana source, Dark Ritual, Infernal, or Burning Wish and I won that game. Unfortunately, the deck shit the bed.

Played a local legacy event yesterday and stubbornly used Pyroblasts over Inquisitions in the SB.

Went undefeated except for a loss vs. Maverick, the Inquisitions definitely would have been the difference, where as the multiple games vs. Blade.deck pyroblasts were overkill as chant effects crushed them.

Has any thought been given to Deathmark as a SB choice beyond a wish target?

Cheers,

Aug 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by adrock View Post
    Played a local legacy event yesterday and stubbornly used Pyroblasts over Inquisitions in the SB.

Went undefeated except for a loss vs. Maverick, the Inquisitions definitely would have been the difference, where as the multiple games vs. Blade.deck pyroblasts were overkill as chant effects crushed them.

Has any thought been given to Deathmark as a SB choice beyond a wish target?

Cheers,
    read the first post. inquistion does the same thing only proactively. and hits more. if anything it should be a silent departure for that spot. read the first post.

read the first post.

Thread Information