Page 98 of 446 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 8918

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Depends on the person reading it. The only thing that counts is the correct play, no matter whether it ends up losing or winning.

What I'm actually interested in is how you go about weighing the odds of just "going for it"; like when you made your opponent discard his last protection spell but still have to wait for a turn in which he plays Ponder and doesn't shuffle even though you look like you're about to go off. Do you go for it? What influences this decision? Against both blue and non-blue decks. Do you cantrip for additional protection even though you're at 12 life and the opponent has a flipped Delver? It's questions like these that I'm most interested in.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Depends on the person reading it. The only thing that counts is the correct play, no matter whether it ends up losing or winning.

What I'm actually interested in is how you go about weighing the odds of just "going for it"; like when you made your opponent discard his last protection spell but still have to wait for a turn in which he plays Ponder and doesn't shuffle even though you look like you're about to go off. Do you go for it? What influences this decision? Against both blue and non-blue decks. Do you cantrip for additional protection even though you're at 12 life and the opponent has a flipped Delver? It's questions like these that I'm most interested in.
    I don't need an article for this. You always go for it.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Regardless, it's more beneficial to read about games won than lost. If you're interested in reading about lost games, I recommend the ANT thread.
    *pew pew*

Shots Fired.

I mean I agree to the extent that figuring out the correct play is always right. Regardless of W/L. I played against miracles an got him to 3 with Goblins but they got terminused and he got a CB with a fetch open. I ended up winning by playing an unneeded chrome mox (he thought it was important) and it revealed a land so I went for it. He fetched hoping to blind flip but missed and I was able to make a 3 storm with Chrome Mox, Burning Wish, Grapeshot, which really was luck dependent. So plays like this that are probably still the correct plays would be alright to post about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I don't need an article for this. You always go for it.
    And I agree. Sometimes you just have to try and if it doesnt work, it doesnt work. Despite the feeling of invincibility that this deck can sometimes give you, you are still a combo deck that can be disrupted with enough counters/discard and it is inevitable that they will just have the right combination of disruption + pressure to just force you into a horrible spot.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Stop trolling my god damn thread.

In other news, I'm writing my article tonight. It's going to be a "Storm Hands", what match-up would you trolls like to see featured?
    I need help fighting through multiple chant effects and Leyline of Sanctity, so an Enchantress type deck packing Orim's Chants

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by jin View Post
    I need help fighting through multiple chant effects and Leyline of Sanctity, so an Enchantress type deck packing Orim's Chants
    Xantid Swarm + Chain of Vapor.

Xantid Swarm + Chain of Vapor.
    Damnit. Thanks.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Last 30 MTGO games with TES leaves me with a 63% win ratio 19-11. I am not playing the deck perfectly but I am definitely becoming more comfortable with it. The only deck I am consistently worried about is Esper Stoneblade, other than that it's pretty good against the mtgo meta. Here are the match ups.

Tournament Practice
    19-11

2-0 vs BG Pox
    0-2 12 Post
    2-1 Unsorted Countertop
    2-0 Deadguy Ale
    2-0 Jund
    0-2 RG Aggro
    2-0 GW Enchantress
    2-0 GW Enchantress
    0-2 Omnishow
    1-2 Junk
    0-2 Esper Stoneblade
    2-1 Esper Stoneblade
    2-1 Death and Taxes
    1-2 TES
    1-2 UB Stacks
    2-0 UR Delver
    2-0 Burn
    2-0 Goblins
    2-1 Death and Taxes
    2-0 Small Pox
    2-1 Junk
    1-2 RUG Delver
    0-2 Burn
    0-2 Esper Stoneblade
    0-2 Esper Stoneblade
    2-1 BUG Agent
    2-0 Bad Lands
    2-1 High Tide
    2-0 Esper Stoneblade
    2-1 Mono Black Dark Depths
    0-2 Burn

A lot of people are talking about the Esperblade match up. Is that really a problem? They don't even play that many counter spells. Preboard, they have 3-4 FOW, 0-2 Spell Pierce and 1 Counter spell. They also have 4 discard spells, but they aren't Hymn to Tourach. Post board, they bring in the 1 Cabal Therapy, the 2 Spell Pierce and the 1 FOW. Some might bring in Fluster Storm. To me, this is very similar to the Tempo Thresh match up, except they don't play Stifle on fetch lands and they don't have a faster clock. I think the usual, discard/Chant combo just crushes them. Discard spells don't mean much to a deck that's both fast and can replenish its hand with a big spell...

May 2011
    Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by jin View Post
    A lot of people are talking about the Esperblade match up. Is that really a problem? They don't even play that many counter spells. Preboard, they have 3-4 FOW, 0-2 Spell Pierce and 1 Counter spell. They also have 4 discard spells, but they aren't Hymn to Tourach. Post board, they bring in the 1 Cabal Therapy, the 2 Spell Pierce and the 1 FOW. Some might bring in Fluster Storm. To me, this is very similar to the Tempo Thresh match up, except they don't play Stifle on fetch lands and they don't have a faster clock. I think the usual, discard/Chant combo just crushes them. Discard spells don't mean much to a deck that's both fast and can replenish its hand with a big spell...
    It depends on how the Esperblade deck is built. One time I played against an Esperblade deck that was packing Meddling Mages and Ethersworn Canonists in it's sideboard.

Sometimes they have the perfect combination of discard, countermagic, with Stoneforge Mystic.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by joemauer View Post
    It depends on how the Esperblade deck is built. One time I played against an Esperblade deck that was packing Meddling Mages and Ethersworn Canonists in it's sideboard.

Sometimes they have the perfect combination of discard, countermagic, with Stoneforge Mystic.
    Meddling Mage is terrifying. I don't know why more people aren't playing it. Some Euro lists are also playing Flusterstorms in the board.

Quote Originally Posted by jin
    A lot of people are talking about the Esperblade match up. Is that really a problem?
    I'm never incredibly unhappy to see Esperblade, but it's not the greatest matchup ever. They have a reasonable answer to Goblins in the form of Batterskull (and sometimes DSphere), which definitely makes it harder.
    I've played a lot of different combo decks against a lot of Esperblade and it always feels like they're generally disadvantaged because most of their cards are blanks, but not by a whole lot. Very draw dependent.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Last 30 MTGO games with TES leaves me with a 63% win ratio 19-11. I am not playing the deck perfectly but I am definitely becoming more comfortable with it. The only deck I am consistently worried about is Esper Stoneblade, other than that it's pretty good against the mtgo meta. Here are the match ups.

Tournament Practice
    19-11
    FWIW, The Tourney Practice room is filled with an overconcentration of Burn and Monoblack. Be aware of this fact when looking at the results.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    FWIW, The Tourney Practice room is filled with an overconcentration of Burn and Monoblack. Be aware of this fact when looking at the results.
    Considering that 1/5 of the decks I've played were burn and Monoblack, and that the number of Esper Stoneblade decks was the same, I'd say that I was paired with a semi diverse field of decks to test against. Agreed that compared to a real life event I wouldn't see many of these decks, but again it's still only 6 out of 30 matches.

May 2011
    New Zealand

I also think Esper Blade is one of the toughest matchups, just because EtW isn't a viable plan half the time (SFM + Bskull), plus the disruption + counterspells. I'd still put it around 50/50 though.

Game 1 it's not as hard as they have plenty of dead cards, but one of the strengths about esper is the sideboard to shore up any matchup post boards - basically the deck scarifices some win % game one to have a shot against each deck type and can tune the deck to beat any archetype with the sideboard.

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant View Post
    I'm never incredibly unhappy to see Esperblade, but it's not the greatest matchup ever. They have a reasonable answer to Goblins in the form of Batterskull (and sometimes DSphere), which definitely makes it harder.
    I've played a lot of different combo decks against a lot of Esperblade and it always feels like they're generally disadvantaged because most of their cards are blanks, but not by a whole lot. Very draw dependent.
    Tendrils is the main win condition here. Just because Empty the Warren is cut off doesn't mean it's a bad match up. They also have to get the batterskull on the Table first before ETW is bad. ETW for 12 goblins first turn can still get there..

I would too consider the match up is so bad for them. That just sounds like a player who knows his Esperblade decks. If he's not packing hate bears along with his counter magic and discard, I wouldn't think it's such a bad match up.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Stop trolling my god damn thread.

In other news, I'm writing my article tonight. It's going to be a "Storm Hands", what match-up would you trolls like to see featured?
    What ever deck you enjoy playing second most.

Loves Witchcraft. <3
    Oct 2010

My suggestion would be sneaky show I guess.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

You can still empty against stoneblade. Just don't get too comfortable. I dont hate the MU it is just very dependant on what their hand is

Jun 2009
    Sao Paulo - Brazil

I think Esper is a good matchup.. I lose when I keep a weak 6 card hand and they have T1 Discard, T2 Stoneforge, T3 Clique(or snap + discard) with FoW backup.
    Super Bizarros Team.
    HUEHUEHUE BRBRBR. VIVA DILMA!!! EM NOME DE JESUS CRISTO!

May 2011
    Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Shimi View Post
    I think Esper is a good matchup.. I lose when I keep a weak 6 card hand and they have T1 Discard, T2 Stoneforge, T3 Clique(or snap + discard) with FoW backup.

Thread Information