Page 99 of 446 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149199 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 8918

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

Stoneblade I feel is one of the MU's where your timing when going off needs to be perfect. While I dont think it is one of our hardest MUs, I think that it is one of the more skill intensive MU's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I would like advice on the following hand. I am using Cook's most recent list from D.C.

Mulligan to 6.
    Hand:

Ponder
    Chrome Mox
    Silence
    Rite of Flame
    Volcanic
    Gemstone

Volcanic into ponder you see

Ponder/Burning Wish/Ponder

What line of play do you all view as correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mario91234 View Post
    I would like advice on the following hand. I am using Cook's most recent list from D.C.

Mulligan to 6.
    Hand:

Ponder
    Chrome Mox
    Silence
    Rite of Flame
    Volcanic
    Gemstone

Do you know what your opponent is playing?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by mario91234 View Post

Mulligan to 6.
    Hand:

Ponder
    Chrome Mox
    Silence
    Rite of Flame
    Volcanic
    Gemstone

Draw ponder off ponder, BW on top.

Turn2: draw wish 4 turn, Play gemstone, ponder via volcanic, silence-Walk off gemstone (depending on the colors of opp Lands)

Turn3: depends on what the Last ponder revealed or if you shuffle-draw
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Won $50 for a top 4-split at my local legacy tournament with TES! Played the front-page list swapping a Cabal Therapy and an IGG for a Thoughtseize and a Hull Breach. Always a couple MUD and Enchantress players, wanted to be prepared.

Round 1 - MUD
    Scary matchup, but fortunately he's not very good. I scoop to Chalice on 1 and 0 g1. Thoughtseize him and take 3ball g2, leaving him Metalworker and 6-drops. He scoops after I Decay Metalworker and start to combo. G3 he mulls and leads on Metalworker, I kill him t1 with Ad Nauseam.
    1-0 (2-1)

Round 2 - Deadguy Ale
    G1 I make 10 goblins turn 1 and he scoops. I boarded out Empty, 1 IT, 1 Duress and 4 Silence for 3 Decay, 2 Chain, 2 discard, not sure if that's correct. G2 he snipes my Dark Rit to prevent me from casting the Ad Nauseam in my hand, then beats down with Canonist and Tidehollow. G3 I have a hand that could t1 Empty for 10 if I hadn't boarded it out. Have to go for DimRet t3 with 2 floating, draw no cantrips or tutors, he drew well.
    1-1 (3-3)

Round 3 - Elves (mono-G)
    Not the most up-to-date build, but fine. I chant-walk his turn 2 and kill him with Ad Naus. G2 I Ad Naus on turn 3 after bouncing his Thorn, but whiff when I can't find LED or Burning Wish. G3 I Ad Naus again on t2 after his mull to 5.
    2-1 (5-4)

Round 4 - Enchantress (Splashing RiP-Field)
    G1 I strip his hand and kill him with Past in Flames. G2 I chant-walk him, DimRet with Petal up but don't draw enough mana to continue that turn. So I Chant-walk him again, then kill with Past in Flames on my turn.
    3-1 (7-4)

Round 5 - Merfolk (with Standstill and Stifle)
    He mulled, then led on Cursecatcher. I would have had t2 goblins with DRx2, Wish, and Probe, but he correctly sac'd Cursecatcher to Dark Rit to keep me off R. Then he couldn't draw a land to play the infinite dudes in his hand and I Brainstorm-locked myself and couldn't draw mana. Finally got there with goblins. G2 he slammed Standstill t2, I Brainstorm into it. He draws nothing but some Stifles, so I'm able to Burning Wish for Therapy then Empty. He makes enough men to block and take himself to 2, but I Grapeshot for the win.
    4-1 (9-4)

Quarters - Junk
    G1 I Probe and see nothing of relevance, then make 10 goblins on turn 1. He rips Maelstrom Pulse after getting hit down to 7, but has to fetch a Shockland because he's poor. I have Wish in hand, 3 lands on board, just looking for a mana source. He slams Lili into Knight into Elspeth as I draw blanks. Lili ultimates, he plays another and pluses, and Knight puts me to 4. I had Wished for Tendrils a couple turns ago, so I called-shot Dark Ritual, slam the top card, and there it is. He's pretty upset about that. G2 he kept a 1-lander with E-Tutor and Thoughtseize, couldn't draw another land before I killed him with Ad Naus.

I was all set to play TinFins at SCG Atlanta, but this deck is just so much fun. Now I have no idea what to play.
    Last edited by phazonmutant; 03-28-2013 at 03:51 AM.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

His face when you rip Dark ritual...it was priceless.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Those are moments one remembers for the rest of their MtG days...

Maybe someone asked but is anyone in this thread going to Strasbourg?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Report feat. Bribery
    Last edited by Lemnear; 03-29-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Oct 2010
    Bergen County - NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    FWIW, The Tourney Practice room is filled with an overconcentration of Burn and Monoblack. Be aware of this fact when looking at the results.
    After playing 50 Matches and going 31-19, I've come the conclusion that

A. I love this deck more than I did in the past.
    B. Koby is right Burn floods the tourney practice.
    C. Burn is a very easy deck to beat, you have to draw badly against them to lose.
    D. Storm Mirrors, specifically TES and High Tide, are super fun and quite interactive matches to play and watch.

I've found a LGS in Brooklyn NY that has bi-weekly tournaments which I will be attending as often as possible. I will be bringing home any reports that I capture. Also I have been keeping a spreadsheet for all of my MTGO matches with the deck. Everything from player name, games won versus lost, mulligans, and sideboarding choices. I will post ever 100 matches to help anyone with questions. I am still a newer storm player and have much to learn but I hope to educate and learn more about my favorite legacy deck in doing so.
    Last edited by Darkness; 03-30-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Bryant Cook

Storm Hands V

Forgot to post this yesterday. Whoops.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Sample hand 1:

Would not keep. All in on one Chrome Mox and a cantrip. Even on the draw, I think six would always be better.

Sample Hand 2:

So keep. So much gas, even in the dark I'd keep this on the draw or play. I'd save the Probe for a drawstep or two, depending on what they play and reveal themselves to be. The Silence could be used proactively in the mean time. I'd keep Mox in hand for Brainstorm, which, save for Ponder, is probably the best card to draw.

Sample Hand 3:

A turn 1 hand in the dark. No reason to ship it given the matchup. You can first turn wish for a Therapy for protection later on, or go all in on Ad Nauseum. On the draw, a Probe or piece of protection from the draw step would be ideal.

I would have played all the hands out in the article as they were written, however the very last one I would have punted. At the point of making 28 goblin tokens, I'd basically be crossing fingers and praying that they wouldn't topdeck an answer, and settle for that. It didn't occur to me to Silence on their upkeep to keep all possible topdecks from helping them not lose.

Hey guys!

I'm a new T.E.S player and I got a question.

What's the point of playing empty the Warren maindeck?

I think it's a bad AdN flip and a bad draw middle game!?

The french Canadian!

Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

I suggest reading through Bryant's primer in the opening post of the thread, it should answer a lot of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Gatz View Post
    I suggest reading through Bryant's primer in the opening post of the thread, it should answer a lot of your questions.
    Thanks.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Seeing as there is no Legacy Open today, I guess Storm has a Giant Bulls Eye on its head going into SCG ATL.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    Sample Hand 3:

A turn 1 hand in the dark. No reason to ship it given the matchup. You can first turn wish for a Therapy for protection later on, or go all in on Ad Nauseum. On the draw, a Probe or piece of protection from the draw step would be ideal.

I would have played all the hands out in the article as they were written, however the very last one I would have punted. At the point of making 28 goblin tokens, I'd basically be crossing fingers and praying that they wouldn't topdeck an answer, and settle for that. It didn't occur to me to Silence on their upkeep to keep all possible topdecks from helping them not lose.
    This is not the correct line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    This is not the correct line.
    Opening Hand III – Gemstone Mine, Infernal Tutor, Dark Ritual, Lotus Petal, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Burning Wish and Rite of Flame.

I'd go with:

Play Gemstone mine
    Lotus Petal (1)
    Dark Ritual (2) (BBB)
    Rite of Flame (3) (BBBRR)
    Infernal Tutor (4) (BBR) for LED
    LED (5)
    LED (6)
    Burning Wish (7) (B) sac. LED's for BBBRRR for IGG
    IGG (8) with 3 mana in pool -> 2 LED + Infernal -> wish -> Tendrils for 26.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Opening Hand III – Gemstone Mine, Infernal Tutor, Dark Ritual, Lotus Petal, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Burning Wish and Rite of Flame.

I'd go with:

Play Gemstone mine
    Lotus Petal (1)
    Dark Ritual (2) (BBB)
    Rite of Flame (3) (BBBRR)
    Infernal Tutor (4) (BBR) for LED
    LED (5)
    LED (6)
    Burning Wish (7) (B) sac. LED's for BBBRRR for IGG
    IGG (8) with 3 mana in pool -> 2 LED + Infernal -> wish -> Tendrils for 26.
    Correct. But personally, I think it's right to Rite of Flame first 95% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Correct. But personally, I think it's right to Rite of Flame first 95% of the time.
    Well if we're on the play with this hand it doesn't matter but you're right, Rite should go first most of the time.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

So G1 Blind on the play you just go for it right?

Thread Information