Bryant Cook

[Article] Cook's Kitchen - Reality Check

Article

Info on my GP: Indy experience.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Re: [Article] Cook's Kitchen - Reality Check

I like the changes. Inquisition is a fine answer against Maverick, and hits all of the cards that are relevant. Thalia is pretty good and we convinced our car mate to go from two to three as well on the ride over.

I do feel a little bad, if I had the Japanese Foil Infest on Friday night...

PS. Get a Twitter account.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid- View Post
    I like the changes. Inquisition is a fine answer against Maverick, and hits all of the cards that are relevant. Thalia is pretty good and we convinced our car mate to go from two to three as well on the ride over.

I do feel a little bad, if I had the Japanese Foil Infest on Friday night...

PS. Get a Twitter account.
    I actually did some testing tonight during the weekly legacy event vs. Trevor Brown and Nick Patnode. Out of about 20 games, I lost five with the new sideboard. All post-board.

Maverick had...

3 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Thalia
    1 Teeg
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    X Normal Maverick Crap.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Is the Pyroclasm in the new sideboard list a mistake? The earlier part of the article suggests it should be Infest.

Also, there are some spelling/grammar issues that could be cleaned up. Hassle the copy editor at Jupiter.

Obviously I traded in all my Inquisitions toward FBB duals at Indy. Time to hit up Troll & Toad.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Aug 2010
    Colorado, bitches!

Have you tried chain of vapor?

Like, all my games against Maverick are a joke. They play some irrelevant hate bear on two, I bounce EOT and just go off. Outside of chalice on one, or multiple leyline (in which case, empty the warrens is still an option), I don't see how truth is better than chain.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    Is the Pyroclasm in the new sideboard list a mistake? The earlier part of the article suggests it should be Infest.

Also, there are some spelling/grammar issues that could be cleaned up. Hassle the copy editor at Jupiter.
    It will be changed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown of Tresserhorn View Post

Like, all my games against Maverick are a joke. They play some irrelevant hate bear on two, I bounce EOT and just go off. Outside of chalice on one, or multiple leyline (in which case, empty the warrens is still an option), I don't see how truth is better than chain.
    I had some bad luck man, it happens. But I play in metagames with Chalice of the Voids. Truth won't be leaving my lists anytime soon.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I really enjoyed this article. The most important innovation often comes from reflecting on disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown of Tresserhorn View Post

You obviously never played against a maverick player prepared against combo. A vast number of games will start with T1 mother of runes T2 hatebear.

Nov 2007
    Finland

I think that GW hasn't been an easy matchup for storm combo for quite some time. It has relevant bears and a decent clock as well as Wastelands. The thing is that if you can't combo before their turn 2, you might never get the chance again. It is still unable to interact before turn 2 so speed is the key here.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

I still think that it's a very decent matchup but you'll have to spend a few sideboard slots against them instead of just going for the "my bounce will deal with wathever they throw at me" mentality.

Aug 2010
    Colorado, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by Dia_Bot View Post
    You obviously never played against a maverick player prepared against combo. A vast number of games will start with T1 mother of runes T2 hatebear.
    You obviously can't do math.

See? I can be condescending too.

Don't tell me that a "vast" number of games start with a specific sequence of at most 7 cards in a deck with no manipulation. Even if you lose game 2, Maverick has no way of playing a turn 1 hatebear, leaving you ample opportunity to go off on your turn 2 (or just finding a bounce spell with your 8 cantrips.

Bryant: I enjoyed the article. As always, I appreciate your insight into TES. Bad beats at Indy, but I'm sure you'll find your groove in no time.

Thread Information