Page 232 of 243 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,640 of 4851

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Apr 2018
    France

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkX9 View Post
    I've never been huge on voltaic key because of its conflict with our chalice on 1 all the time. On that note, I don't feel like key does anything relevant to what I want it to do in this match up, except untapped monolith once. If that's all we want it for, I think thran Dynamo is strictly better here.
    Hi,

I think voltaic key doesn't really fit our shell. I could see it in big eldrazi post where you have grim and basalt monolith with actually plenty of higher CCM cards.
    According to what has been discussed on the FB group the main idea is to have
    - against B2B : ratchet bomb and spine
    - control plan : thorn of amethyst, lodestone, chalice, 3Ball for preventing them to cast their Jace and cantrips
    - terminus : warping wail

Additionnaly, if you are on the lightning greaves plan I guess having defense grid can also be useful. Added to thorn and lodestone it seems quite difficult for them to have a response during your turn.
    Last edited by Jorruk; 01-28-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Feb 2015
    Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Jorruk View Post
    Hi,

I think voltaic key doesn't really fit our shell. I could see it in big eldrazi post where you have grim and basalt monolith with actually plenty of higher CCM cards.
    According to what have been discussed on the FB group the main idea is to have
    - control plan : thorn of amethyst, lodestone, chalice, 3Ball for preventing them to cast their Jace and cantrips

Additionnaly, if you are on the lightning greaves plan I guess having defense grid can also be useful. Added to thorn and lodestone it seems quite difficult for them to have a response during your turn.
    I've been having reasonable success in these matches (miracles and Helm combo UW, haven't seen Blade variants for a while) with basically stock list:
    MD 1 spine, 2 dynamos, 1 greaves, 2 ugin, 2 thorn, 2 3ball, 1 ballista. SB: 1 ugin, 2 karn liberated, 1 ratchet bomb, 1 ballista. Sideout wurmcoil, 3ball (because they will try to lock us with B2B).
    Up to the point that a miracles player I faced in a tournament just conceded when he was paired with me in the next tournament. He said it was pointless to play against my deck as he had no way to win.

Apr 2018
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Silverflame View Post
    I've been having reasonable success in these matches (miracles and Helm combo UW, haven't seen Blade variants for a while) with basically stock list:
    MD 1 spine, 2 dynamos, 1 greaves, 2 ugin, 2 thorn, 2 3ball, 1 ballista. SB: 1 ugin, 2 karn liberated, 1 ratchet bomb, 1 ballista. Sideout wurmcoil, 3ball (because they will try to lock us with B2B).
    Up to the point that a miracles player I faced in a tournament just conceded when he was paired with me in the next tournament. He said it was pointless to play against my deck as he had no way to win.
    Yeah I see your point. I think the main difference is the fact that you have access to dynamos.
    Can you share your list ?

Congrats on the insta scoop from your opponent ! haha

Feb 2015
    Brazil

I started with Malife's deck from page 230 and adapted a little bit. I'm trying to min-max the list to my playstyle and local meta, so I make small changes every week. I cashed out 3 of the 4 times I played this month on my LGS (today I got cocky and didn't mulligan a questionable hand against infect and eldrazi just rolled me).
    The list is very tight, but I believe I should try to fit in one more monolith. Most of the matches I lost with this build was either due to tomb's burn or not enough mana to cast something gamechanging.

61 cards,

20 Spells
    2 Sorcery Spyglass
    3 Chalice of the Void
    1 Lightning Greaves
    1 Spine of Ish Sah
    1 Coercive Portal
    2 Thran Dynamo
    2 Staff of Domination
    2 Ugin
    2 Thorn
    2 Trinisphere
    2 Grim Monolith

17 creatures
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Blighsteel Colossus
    2 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    4 Metalworker
    4 Lodestone Golem

24 Lands
    1 Inventor's Fair
    1 Buried Ruin
    1 Thespian Stage
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Vesuva
    3 Glimmerpost
    4 Wasteland
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cloudpost

SB
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Ulamog
    2 Walking Ballista
    1 Ugin
    2 Karn Liberated
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Faerie Macabre
    2 Torpor Orb
    2 Ensnaring Bridge

Apr 2018
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Silverflame View Post
    I started with Malife's deck from page 230 and adapted a little bit. I'm trying to min-max the list to my playstyle and local meta, so I make small changes every week. I cashed out 3 of the 4 times I played this month on my LGS (today I got cocky and didn't mulligan a questionable hand against infect and eldrazi just rolled me).
    The list is very tight, but I believe I should try to fit in one more monolith. Most of the matches I lost with this build was either due to tomb's burn or not enough mana to cast something gamechanging.

61 cards,

20 Spells
    2 Sorcery Spyglass
    3 Chalice of the Void
    1 Lightning Greaves
    1 Spine of Ish Sah
    1 Coercive Portal
    2 Thran Dynamo
    2 Staff of Domination
    2 Ugin
    2 Thorn
    2 Trinisphere
    2 Grim Monolith

17 creatures
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Blighsteel Colossus
    2 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    4 Metalworker
    4 Lodestone Golem

24 Lands
    1 Inventor's Fair
    1 Buried Ruin
    1 Thespian Stage
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Vesuva
    3 Glimmerpost
    4 Wasteland
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cloudpost

SB
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Ulamog
    2 Walking Ballista
    1 Ugin
    2 Karn Liberated
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Faerie Macabre
    2 Torpor Orb
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    I see I see,
    I tried a similar list, but I disliked the fact to not have 4 kuldotha and 2 lightning greaves. Otherwise it felt nice to have 2 staffs.
    I should try yours.
    Do you feel the lack of cavern of souls ?

Feb 2015
    Brazil

I see I see,
    I tried a similar list, but I disliked the fact to not have 4 kuldotha and 2 lightning greaves. Otherwise it felt nice to have 2 staffs.
    I should try yours.
    Do you feel the lack of cavern of souls ?
    Not really, there's been an increase on grindy decks and a slight decline of blue control decks on my local meta, specially Blade variants that have counters and pressure at the same time. Grixis is a thing, but the cards we need to stick are Ugin and Karn Liberated so Wastelands ends up being relevant in more matches. If your meta is different, and in mol, it could be more relevant.
    Props to Malfie, I learned a lot by reading his insights :)
    I haven't tested Kid Karn properly, but it seems to be popping up more frequently. I'm thinkin on replacing the coercive portal for it, and maybe 1 more slot on the SB.

Nov 2012
    Franklin, MA, US

Hi,

According to what has been discussed on the FB group the main idea is to have

I've had a little success with super-voltaic key vs. B2B, i.e. Unwinding Clock. It is one of my weird SB cards that occasionally wanders in. I have not had much time to play lately, as I had a son last year and i've been working nights. I just played in SCG Worcester legacy classic to 3-3 drop, but I am so damn rusty I didn't expect to even do that well. I will be going to GP Niagara and there is a 50/50 shot at me playing MUD.

To just broadly address the last year of new cards and play, I can't imagine not playing 1 ballista. It is not forgemaster-able is basically the only downside. It is effectively modal removal, it can be uncounterable if you run caverns, and with active cloudposts it is just insane. Goblins is back and worse for us, because Trashmaster is a beating. A friend of mine t4'd the previous SCG Worcester with it, and the deck has wheels again.

I also really like 1 Staff of Nin, has been a staple for me for a long time. Elves/DnT have to answer it or suffer, and many answers to it still let you draw a card every turn which is sweet. I like 2x Staff of Domination a lot of people are running, that seems great IMO. Haven't had a chance to try little Karn but he seems great, I cut big Karn a while back and haven't really missed him, i ran him @ Worcester because I accidentally left Emperion in my Scapeshift modern deck and was too cheap to buy another. He was very unimpressive.
    Stage also seems great, as the 4th Vesuva would just be abysmal (tried it in the past, even with three I still draw double vesuva openers once every hundred hands or so and want to tear one up).
    Spyglass was also insane, i had 2 in the board but main deck seems great, I just hadn't checked the forum in forever and it never occurred to me. I haven't liked thorn except vs. Reanimator for a while, so another hateful cmc2 card is awesome. Needle was always mediocre because chalice is just so damn good. Actually lost a game to ANT in Worcester because I chalice'd on 1 and he went land, petal, LED, LED, Burning Wish discarding a cantrip, Empty for 10 tokens and wrecked me, but i got him G2 & 3.

Keep on dropping huge metal bombs people. If i play MUD in Niagara (and work doesn't bone me out of going) I will definitely actually prepare for the tournament, and write another detailed report. Cheers!

P.S. I hate foils, but I still KMC hard sleeve + DragonShield Matte my deck because it's ~$2k+ with none of them, and this adds a ridiculous amount of strength to them. Also glides nicely when shuffling, even if it does make my hands hurt to fade such a large pile.

Apr 2018
    France

Quote Originally Posted by forestfold View Post
    I've had a little success with super-voltaic key vs. B2B, i.e. Unwinding Clock. It is one of my weird SB cards that occasionally wanders in. I have not had much time to play lately, as I had a son last year and i've been working nights. I just played in SCG Worcester legacy classic to 3-3 drop, but I am so damn rusty I didn't expect to even do that well. I will be going to GP Niagara and there is a 50/50 shot at me playing MUD.

To just broadly address the last year of new cards and play, I can't imagine not playing 1 ballista. It is not forgemaster-able is basically the only downside. It is effectively modal removal, it can be uncounterable if you run caverns, and with active cloudposts it is just insane. Goblins is back and worse for us, because Trashmaster is a beating. A friend of mine t4'd the previous SCG Worcester with it, and the deck has wheels again.

I also really like 1 Staff of Nin, has been a staple for me for a long time. Elves/DnT have to answer it or suffer, and many answers to it still let you draw a card every turn which is sweet. I like 2x Staff of Domination a lot of people are running, that seems great IMO. Haven't had a chance to try little Karn but he seems great, I cut big Karn a while back and haven't really missed him, i ran him @ Worcester because I accidentally left Emperion in my Scapeshift modern deck and was too cheap to buy another. He was very unimpressive.
    Stage also seems great, as the 4th Vesuva would just be abysmal (tried it in the past, even with three I still draw double vesuva openers once every hundred hands or so and want to tear one up).
    Spyglass was also insane, i had 2 in the board but main deck seems great, I just hadn't checked the forum in forever and it never occurred to me. I haven't liked thorn except vs. Reanimator for a while, so another hateful cmc2 card is awesome. Needle was always mediocre because chalice is just so damn good. Actually lost a game to ANT in Worcester because I chalice'd on 1 and he went land, petal, LED, LED, Burning Wish discarding a cantrip, Empty for 10 tokens and wrecked me, but i got him G2 & 3.

Keep on dropping huge metal bombs people. If i play MUD in Niagara (and work doesn't bone me out of going) I will definitely actually prepare for the tournament, and write another detailed report. Cheers!

P.S. I hate foils, but I still KMC hard sleeve + DragonShield Matte my deck because it's ~$2k+ with none of them, and this adds a ridiculous amount of strength to them. Also glides nicely when shuffling, even if it does make my hands hurt to fade such a large pile.
    Thank you for your report :)
    I will try to find some time to test the other build. I will still stay with 3 kuldotha and maybe no thorn MD.

funny note : Yesterday I was playing with a friend and got my first T2 kill from all time with MUD (and God knows I have played the deck a lot).
    It was after side, on the play against turbo depth.
    I went T1 ancient tomb lightning greaves.
    He plays a land, map of expedition.
    T2: play a land, play metalworker, equip metalworker. Activate, reveals 4 artifacts, play metalworker and kuldotha. Sac Kuldotha, metalworker x2, take a blightsteel, equip => win :D

Thank you for your report :)
    I will try to find some time to test the other build. I will still stay with 3 kuldotha and maybe no thorn MD.

funny note : Yesterday I was playing with a friend and got my first T2 kill from all time with MUD (and God knows I have played the deck a lot).
    It was after side, on the play against turbo depth.
    I went T1 ancient tomb lightning greaves.
    He plays a land, map of expedition.
    T2: play a land, play metalworker, equip metalworker. Activate, reveals 4 artifacts, play metalworker and kuldotha. Sac Kuldotha, metalworker x2, take a blightsteel, equip => win :D
    T1 lightning greaves, or t1 monolith into metalworker, are our scariest plays. The have the possibility of the most explosive plays.

Apr 2018
    France

T1 lightning greaves, or t1 monolith into metalworker, are our scariest plays. The have the possibility of the most explosive plays.
    Exactly, even though I usually dislike playing monolith into metalworker. Most decks have response (FoW - removal) and you end up with a tapped monolith for "nothing".

Exactly, even though I usually dislike playing monolith into metalworker. Most decks have response (FoW - removal) and you end up with a tapped monolith for "nothing".
    I agree with you 100%. Monolith into metalworker isn't the most ideal play. I almost only ever make that play if I'm on the draw and their turn 1 tells me that they are turbo depths, elves, mono red prison, or a few other fringe decks that are either light on removal or a deck you have to drag race with. It's a risky play but sometimes it pays off on a gamble. I've t1 on the play jammed a monolith into a metalworker against a regular dnt guy at my shop, challenging him to have swords. He didn't have it, so I slammed a t2 ugin. It's super rare, super risky, but does happen on occasion.

Apr 2018
    France

I agree with you 100%. Monolith into metalworker isn't the most ideal play. I almost only ever make that play if I'm on the draw and their turn 1 tells me that they are turbo depths, elves, mono red prison, or a few other fringe decks that are either light on removal or a deck you have to drag race with. It's a risky play but sometimes it pays off on a gamble. I've t1 on the play jammed a monolith into a metalworker against a regular dnt guy at my shop, challenging him to have swords. He didn't have it, so I slammed a t2 ugin. It's super rare, super risky, but does happen on occasion.
    Yup, I think it's the most "high risk, high reward" the deck can go.
    I also did that to a merfolk opponent who had mulliganed to 6. If it got FoW'ed he had to start the game with 4 cards, and I was fine with that :p

Nov 2012
    Franklin, MA, US

Yup, I think it's the most "high risk, high reward" the deck can go.
    I also did that to a merfolk opponent who had mulliganed to 6. If it got FoW'ed he had to start the game with 4 cards, and I was fine with that :p
    Agreed, it's also fine if you're playing a 30/70% matchup like Reanimator or tight combo decks with very little versatility. We need to have solid starts to beat them. I just assume Metal Worker is going to die every time I play him, so that way i am pleasantly surprised about 1/3 of the time.

Played at the Side Events of GP Toronto:

E1:
    R1: vs Yuriko and Tell (2-1) 1-0
    R2: vs UW Miracles (2-0, 4-1) 2-0
    R3: vs DnT (2-1, 6-2) 3-0

E2:
    R1: vs Moon Stompy (2-1, 8-3) 4-0
    R2: vs Applejacks (0-2, 8-5) 4-1
    R3: vs UW Stoneblade (2-0, 10-5) 5-1

E3:
    R1: vs UB Shadow (2-0, 12-5) 6-1
    R2: vs Merfolks (2-1, 14-6) 7-1
    drop for prize

E4:
    R1: vs Esper Control (2-1, 16-7) 8-1
    R2: vs DnT, rematch (2-0, 18-7) 9-1
    drop for prize

TT1: vs Infect (1-2, 19-9) 9-2
    TT2: vs Tin Fins/Reanimate Hybrid (2-1, 21-10) 10-2

E5:
    R1: vs Infect (2-0, 23-10) 11-2
    R2: vs Jeskai Helm (2-0, 25-10) 12-2
    drop for prize
    Last edited by darkgh0st; 02-21-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkgh0st View Post

E1:

E2:

E3:
    drop for prize

E4:
    drop for prize

E5:
    drop for prize
    I like the list. It's kind of on that mono brown superfriends that I was theory crafting. How do you like the planar bridge? How do you feel your numbers are of non- artifact colorless stuff in the same deck with metalworker affects it's Mana output for you?

Also, how bad is the pay out in Chucky cheese prize wall tickets for those events for those 3 round dumpster fires? We have magic fest Cleveland this weekend thats 30 minutes from me that I wanted to run mud in those side events, and am leaning towards not going because I don't feel it's worth the money for 3 round nothing's with those prize wall tickets as your reward. Thoughts?

I like the list. It's kind of on that mono brown superfriends that I was theory crafting.
    Your suggestion of having Crucible of Worlds and Karn Liberated has helped refined the deck better.
    How do you like the planar bridge?
    It is the bridge that connects the big mana into the finishers or SB cards, fetchable through Forgemaster or Inventors' Fair. It's pretty much game when I get to activate it. I also like how it can sneak in solutions without costing you 3 artifacts.
    How do you feel your numbers are of non-artifact colorless stuff in the same deck with metalworker affects it's Mana output for you?
    The 3 extra artifact lands mitigate the colorless count. 35 artifacts seems plenty and if you have to put in 4 colorless cards, you're probably siding out some Karns.
    Also, how bad is the pay out in Chucky cheese prize wall tickets for those events for those 3 round dumpster fires? We have magic fest Cleveland this weekend thats 30 minutes from me that I wanted to run mud in those side events, and am leaning towards not going because I don't feel it's worth the money for 3 round nothing's with those prize wall tickets as your reward. Thoughts?
    Lol. I think you have it right on. To make it worth it, you'll have to get the constructed fanatic package, make it for the double-ups (1 a day), and do well in those. The best value are still selling he boxes you win. There was an LED in the prize wall that was worth 900 tickets. 3-0 gets you 300 tix (600 on double-up), 2-0 split gets you 200 tix, 2-1 gets you 100 tix.

Feb 2015
    Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by darkgh0st View Post

E1:

E2:

E3:
    drop for prize

E4:
    drop for prize

E5:
    drop for prize
    Congrats on the results! I did terrible at a 6 round event so I changed a lot of my list because my meta is full of goblins, miracles is casting MD b2b and maverick is a thing again. I loaded on draws to make mw better and 4 voltaic keys SB and went 3-1.
    The interesting tech is Citanul Flute, you get a ballista for free when you drop it, next turn you get what you need. I'm running 3 ballista currently. The shuffle effect can also be used to try and get out of Jacelock.
    Gonna test it more before posting, but I had a degenerate G2 against maverick. He went wasteland, chome mox, chome mox, go. I went tomb, monolith, voltaic key, voltaic key, dynamo, mw. He wasted and decayed mw, and T2 I still had 7 mana, 8 with my land drop :)

Is there anyone that streams MUD on a regular bases? I'm not finding much on youtube and such.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppyWuppy View Post
    Is there anyone that streams MUD on a regular bases? I'm not finding much on youtube and such.
    I would like to know this also.

Feb 2015
    Brazil

It's not regular, but Mengucci posted a go in mol. He does some mistakes, but still gets 4-1:

Thread Information