Page 31 of 243 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Quote Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu View Post
    I kinda like the white choices, but stoneforge just seems weak; very hard to activate with the manabase. Canonist belongs more in sideboard. I think if you're going white you should also be going more towards armageddon stax.

Zelaous seems very good in the sideboard against certain matchups. Koth wins thru moat. This next decklist has much less mana acceleration and more locks; running Koth seems unreasonable. Not even sure what sort of deck this is. Probably not MUD anymore. Blummis needs to invent a name (Brown moon?)

My current decklist:

4x Cavern, Wasteland, Both sol lands and
    5x Mountain

3x Mox Diamond
    3x Grim Monolith

4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Lodestone Golem
    3x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Godo
    2x Batterskull
    1x Jitte
    1x Duplicant
    1x Steel Hellkite

4x Trinisphere
    3x Tangle Wire
    2x Impending Disaster
    2x Bonfire of the Damned
    2x Ratchet Bomb
    2x Crucible of worlds

SB:
    3x Chalice of the void (certain matchups)
    3x Ensnaring Bridge (show tell, animator)
    2x Koth of the hammer (controls (e.g. moat etc, also with bridge)
    3x Tormod's Crypt
    2x Thorn of Amethyst
    2x Flex spots
    impending disaster is interesting..

Except i dont know wich deck in legacy needs 4+ lands to function? I think it isnt worth the space.

Oh.. Those chalices belong main always! Its such a advantage against everybody!

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Holland View Post
    impending disaster is interesting..

Except i dont know wich deck in legacy needs 4+ lands to function? I think it isnt worth the space.
    I don't really understand why you say 4+ lands. It triggers on 7 lands in total, not on 4+ land controlled by your opponent. That means I can force a trigger with 4 lands on my side and 3 lands on his. Crucible of Worlds is a card.

Also: GSZ/Veteran Explorer/Entreat the Angels/Jace the Mindsculptor

Ok, the previous decklist was bad. Impending disaster is not good. Opponents can mostly choose when it's triggered so they get the advantage. I will also maindeck chalices.

Nov 2012
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by fogxanic View Post
    List is:

Lands

4x Ancient Tomb
    3x City of Traitors
    4x Darksteel Citadel
    2x Mishra's Factory
    2x Buried Ruin
    1x Rishadan Port
    2x Cavern of Souls
    4x Wasteland

Creatures

4x Metalworker
    2x Phyrexian Metamorph
    4x Lodestone Golem
    2x Steel Hellkite
    2x Wurmcoil Engine

Other

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Grim Monolith
    3x Thran Dynamo
    3x Tangle Wire
    2x Lightning Greaves
    2x Karn Liberated
    3x Staff of Nin
    3x Voltaic Key

I think here are not enough threads but don't know yet sure because I haven't tested this build.
    Now I did some play testing and results are: tangle wires are very strong against almost anything!, buried ruins doesn't impress me usually just makes mana maybe I'll replace them with factorys/caverns/ports, pox is hard matchup any ideas agaist it?
    I did some changes.
    - 1 voltaic key (usually I get it in starting hand with nothing that comboes with it or with sol-land and chalice so I play chalice@1 and key is useless again but sometimes it enables t1 lodestone golem with monolith)
    + 1 Karn, Silver Golem (haven't casted it yet but its for testing)

Oct 2010
    Moscow

hello, friends!
    i have just finished reading all this thread
    a lot of interesting things to think and discuss

what do you think about crystall ball? i use this card into stax_decks. may be it can be good in middle game with chalice? it is a great sorrow to play without top with chalice on 1 without creatures. only lands. ball can help us to improve topdecks.

and the second card is Aeolipile. trying to play stax and control mud i found, that teeg can be a great problem. and this card is a good solution. you can play it with welder or with academy ruins. it can beat delver, mystic, jace and so on. i like two copies of it in ub_tezeret_stax

so, what do you think about this cards?
    byes are for girls!

Hiya guys,

The tournament went as i suspected ended up crushing dredge and random.deck and losing to Goblins twice and dropping due this.
    Tangle Wires need to be creatures so im dropping them for more batterskulls and a Godo, perhaps adding one more Bonfire to maindeck instead Ratchet Bomb.
    Not sure if i want to play Wurmcoils without the fourth Monolith and/or Metalworkers.

As for Crystal ball: I used to play it in Dutch and Armageddon Stax where it belongs IMHO, but if one wants card filter/draw I'd go for Staff of Nin.

Has anyone tried out Mind Stone for ramp if yes, how did it perform ?

Greetings,

Yet another local tournament of 26 players behind, went 3-1.

Round 1. Combo Elves
    I lose the die roll.
    My opponent starts with Savannah in to Nettle sentinel, go. I begin the game with City of Traitors -> Chalice 1. He draws, attacks, doesn't lay a land and passes.
    I continue with another City breaking the previous one and cast a Lodestone golem. He draws and passes. A topdecked mountain in to Trinisphere makes him gather his cards.

Second game he mulligans to 3 while I begin the game with Chalice X=1 and the game is over.

2-0

Round 2. Zombardment
    G1
    I lose the die roll, keep a hand consisting Blood moon, few lands, Chalice, Lodestone, Trinisphere. The Chalice gets molested by a turn 1 Thoughtseize, on my turn I play a Mountain and pass. 2nd turn he lands a Gravecrawler. I get a City off the top and resolve a Blood Moon and pass.. After that the notes are hazy, Crawler beats for a while, I land a Trinisphere, he Entombs for Faithless looting and lands few Bloodghasts and a Bombardment which I am able to race with Moltensteel Helkite and a Revoker naming that Bombardment. My life totals go from 18,16,14,12,10 to 4 while his drop from 18 -> 10 -> 0.

G2
    He begins with a Faithless Looting discarding Vengevine and Bloodghast. I follow on my turn with Mountain, Mox Diamond -> Chalice for 1. Turn 2 he casts couple creatures that get countered but enable Vengevine, also Bloodghast jumps out of the grave, I drop to 16. On my turn I draw a Batterskull holding a Moltensteel, City and Mountain, I play the Mountain and pass. On his turn I drop to 10 life. I draw a blank and play Batterskull pass. Yet again my awesome notes are all messed up as my life totals go from 10 -> 6 -> 10 -> 6->10->18 while his go from 19->15->7-> -8 which means I managed to land the Moltensteel Dragon, trade my Germ Token for Vengevine and equip the Dragon with the Batterskull beating him down with an Firebreathing, Lifelinking, Vigilant 8/8 flyer.

2-0

Round 3. Goblins

G1
    Beatings, damage, despair, Miracle Bonfire X =3 followed by a Batterskull, Golem and another Bonfire. Next.

G2.
    Get run over by a horde of Goblins, next.

G3.
    2x Mountain,Mox, Trinisphere, Bonfire, Godo, Tomb. Keep.

I begin the game with Mountain, go. He follows up with Mountain, Lackey go. I draw a Cavern, play a Mountain, Mox discarding Cavern -> Trinisphere. He draws a Wasteland, attacks with lackey, drops SGC and pass. On my turn I play out Ancient Tomb in to Bonfire X = 2 he responds via shooting me with a goblin token dropping me to 15, I pass. He gets third land and resolves a Piledriver, pass. I draw a blank and resolve Batterskull. He draws, plays out Ringleader, gets few Goblins and passes. On my turn I draw a land, attack him to 13 while I go to 17, play the land, resolve a Godo fetching Batterskull. Turn after I topdeck another Bonfire sweeping his board and attack him for 22 damage.

2-1

Round 4. BUG Delver

G1
    I win the die roll, start out with Ancient tomb in to Jitte, my opponent plays a Misty Rainforest, fetches an UG sea and plays out Deathrite shaman and pass. I drop a Cavern of souls naming Human, Resolve an uncounterable Magus of the Moon and we're off to the second game after a minute of thinking.

G2
    I really need to start taking better notes. My Chalice gets discarded turn 1, 3-Sphere gets countered and my hand gets demolished by 2 Hymn to Tourach hitting my lands on consecutive turns. I die a quick death to Delver and Shaman followed by a Tarmogoyf.

G3

My first hand consists 5 lands, Mox diamond, Bonfire. Mulligan.
    Second hand contains 1 Mountain and a Mox.
    Mulligan in to 5 takes me to wonderland of no manasources.
    Mull to four and I get a hand of Magus, Ancient tomb, Trinisphere, Batterskull. Keep.
    I lead off with Tomb pass, he goes land Delver, go. I topdeck Ancient tomb and try to resolve a 3-Sphere which gets Forced. Topdecking a Cavern would have granted me a win, now I just die while an Insect Grinds me to death.

1-2

List:

// Deck: Moon.Mud (60)

// Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    9 Mountain

// Creatures
    3 Godo, Bandit Warlord
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Magus of the Moon
    1 Moltensteel Dragon
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Razormane Masticore
    1 Steel Hellkite

// Spells
    3 Batterskull
    2 Blood Moon
    3 Bonfire of the Damned
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Grim Monolith
    3 Mox Diamond
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    3 Trinisphere
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Bonfire of the Damned
    SB: 2 Crucible of Worlds
    SB: 2 Cursed Totem
    SB: 3 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 2 Koth of the Hammer
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Powder Keg
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt

As you can see I did some changes to the previously posted list. Blood Moons are more justified than Wastelands when you're playing a set of Maguses already. Never missed them.
    Moltensteel needs to be 2-of, Masticore will get the axe as I never wanted to play him if I had almost anything else to play out.
    The sideboard needs some tuning, I might get my face rolled against S&T decks.
    Bonfire of the Damned has been an allstar during the last couple tournaments and definately belongs as 4 in the 75.
    The SoFaI might get axed for 1 more creature/Batterskull, the threat density needs to be higher.

Apr 2012
    Schenectady,NY

It's been a long time since iv even messed with my MUD deck. I wanna pick up where I left off,I left off with a Forgemaster/COTV/Sylvain Library build.
    I really like Sylvain in the deck. When I was playing It I always thought it needs shuffle effects to improve Sylvan, thinking some Fetchs maybe?
    Also there has to be some other good Green support cards to complament the deck. I really just can't think of any besides the already suggested Summeners Trap.

Anybody.....lol? All ideas are welcome.

Super Secret Tech "Ooh...shiny!"
    Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

I don't think that you need to have the green for library if you're looking for the card advantage. Staff of Nin is great and it pings every turn. I would say that depending on your build, the staff could be amazing. I personally have a more combo version of the deck with Forgemasters and Metalworkers so I am able to tutor for them (I run two) and the extra draw a turn is amazing and you don't have to pay 4 life to get it either like Sylvan Library.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.
    Cockatrice: EMFry

Blommis,

These are good results, i never figured out moltensteel dragon works so nice with batterskulls lifelink! I think steelhellkite isnt necessary because bonfire already provides a good sweeper right?
    I still think adding some karn planeswalkers could help you with spot removal. Good idea to play 6x moon effects- thats crazy never saw that before. Do you feel tempted to go to eight moon effects ???? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Holland View Post
    Blommis,

These are good results, i never figured out moltensteel dragon works so nice with batterskulls lifelink! I think steelhellkite isnt necessary because bonfire already provides a good sweeper right?
    I still think adding some karn planeswalkers could help you with spot removal. Good idea to play 6x moon effects- thats crazy never saw that before. Do you feel tempted to go to eight moon effects ???? ;)
    The Steel Hellkite is there cause I really did not figure out better flyer that still packs in utility and going up to 3 Moltensteels could be overkill. Karn might be good in his place thou, but after you add one Karn to the list, you start wanting to add another also.

The Moon effects are just insane, but without any extra filtering (Conch Horn/Chrome Mox/Faithless/Trading Post) I wouldnt up the count on maindeck, unless your meta is 95% manabase greedy decks.

Nov 2012
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Blommis View Post
    The Steel Hellkite is there cause I really did not figure out better flyer that still packs in utility and going up to 3 Moltensteels could be overkill. Karn might be good in his place thou, but after you add one Karn to the list, you start wanting to add another also.

The Moon effects are just insane, but without any extra filtering (Conch Horn/Chrome Mox/Faithless/Trading Post) I wouldnt up the count on maindeck, unless your meta is 95% manabase greedy decks.
    Put Immolating Souleater in. After that add Fling for t2 kill

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Blommis View Post
    report + list
    Its really awesome to see that you're piloting these beautiful red cards. I think you are making a wise decision upping the moltensteel's to 2. I've been playing 2 Moltensteels for a while and they can really steal games. Bonfire of the Damned is an awesome awesome card. I'm currently redesigning my list and will test the 4 Conch Shells that came in today to set up miracles more consistently without Brainstorm. We'll see how effective that will be.

I am tempted to try and run moon effects again. I played them in the past but they were too easy to play around back then. Didn't your opponents crack fetch to grab basics in response to a moon effect?

Nov 2012
    Finland

I played yesterday with my mud at wpn premium event - poromagia and placed 11 out of 106. Match ups were:

2-0 UB Deathshadow
    0-2 RUG Delver
    2-1 UR Delvermagus
    2-1 12-post
    1-2 Jund zombies/vengevine
    2-1 Storm
    2-1 BUG control

Matches I lost were both using Ancient Grudges at side. So I figured that I need to use some better graveyard hate to take atleast flashback ability from ancient grudge. Relic cc is 1 so it doesn't work well with chalice 1 also surgical is out of use witch both would be very good. Maybe I should add 1 more mox and some white mana and try rest in peace, any thoughts?

MUD

Land: 22

4x Ancient Tomb
    2x Cavern of Souls
    3x City of Traitors
    1x Crystal Vein
    4x Darksteel Citadel
    1x Karakas
    2x Mishra's Factory
    1x Rishadan Port
    4x Wasteland

Creatures: 17

1x Karn, Silver Golem
    4x Lodestone Golem
    4x Metalworker
    2x Phyrexian Metamorph
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Steel Hellkite
    2x Wurmcoil Engine

Spells: 21

3x Batterskull
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Grim Monolith
    2x Karn Liberated
    1x Mox Diamond
    2x Staff of Nin
    3x Thran Dynamo
    2x Voltaic Key

Side: 15

1x Cursed Totem
    2x Ensnaring Bridge
    1x Phyrexian Metamorph
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Serum Powder
    1x Spine of Ish Sah
    3x Tormod's Crypt
    3x Trinisphere

Went 3-1 yesterday at my LGS, my list continue to have problems against active Knight of the Reliquaries, which is probably the place that wurmcoil engines really help (deathtouch) versus the godo in my list. However wurmcoil is a huge target for swords.

How are people dealing with Abupt decay(on chalice or 3sphere) and knight in these deathrite shaman brews. I just am not sure how to fix these Bant/BUG/BWG matches yet and looking for some idea's.

bruizar

I'd try Duplicant over Wurmcoil Engine I think. Duplicant ensures you kill at least something. Wurmcoil is great when it's good, but its terrible in the scenarios where its bad.

Mar 2011
    Syracuse, NY

I have actually been worrying about abrupt decay destroying our early mana and chalice. I have been using 3 spellskite to try to solve this problem and the card has been very good for me.
    Team NickErb - Howl At The Moon

Quote Originally Posted by AllIsDust View Post
    I have actually been worrying about abrupt decay destroying our early mana and chalice. I have been using 3 spellskite to try to solve this problem and the card has been very good for me.
    For the builds supporting blue I have be thinking about misdirection, but in my red build so far my solution is just messing with their mana.

As for duplicant, it does solve the problem of getting not getting value from wurmcoil, but I think I am still happy with godo...maybe a sword of X and Y to help with knights is best.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by dillonkbase View Post
    For the builds supporting blue I have be thinking about misdirection, but in my red build so far my solution is just messing with their mana.

As for duplicant, it does solve the problem of getting not getting value from wurmcoil, but I think I am still happy with godo...maybe a sword of X and Y to help with knights is best.
    Maybe sword of light and shadow might deserve a chance in matchups with knights or abrupt decay. Although it does not stop abrupt decay from destroying chalice, 3shpere or the sword itself.

Or maybe darksteel plate.

Although i am still not sure if goblin welder or buried ruin is a solid plan to fight decay and deathrite shaman.

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

I've always liked Spellskite, but if your main concern is Abrupt Decay, Welding Jar seems like a better answer. It costs 0, enables Metalcraft for Mox Opal, and you can sacrifice it to enable Goblin Welder shenanigans.

Thread Information