Page 219 of 243 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222223229 ... LastLast
Results 4,361 to 4,380 of 4851

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    You can skip voltaic key, run chalice and voltaic servant.

Tomb, Grim Monolith, Voltaic Servant seems like an ok turn 1. Not as explosive as voltaic key, but still nice.

Tomb, Grim Monolith Voltaic Key Karn is much nicer though :-)
    Is voltaic servant in the dominaria set? I didnt find it when i searched for it.... also yea, mana rocks may become our best answer, sadly.
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

Feb 2015
    Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by malfie13 View Post
    Is voltaic servant in the dominaria set? I didnt find it when i searched for it.... also yea, mana rocks may become our best answer, sadly.
    Dominaria indeed

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Quote Originally Posted by Silverflame View Post
    Dominaria indeed
    Ah, there it is.

Anyone see the price jump in foil new ulamog? Jeez, buyouts.
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

Has anyone considered running phyrexian metamorph as a sideboard card or even a main board option? . Copy an opposed dark depths token. Copy an opposed fatty. Copy your fatty. Copy your own staff of nin or coercive portal. . . Mainly I'm thinking of it as a tutorable way to stone wall marit lage token.

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkX9 View Post
    Has anyone considered running phyrexian metamorph as a sideboard card or even a main board option? . Copy an opposed dark depths token. Copy an opposed fatty. Copy your fatty. Copy your own staff of nin or coercive portal. . . Mainly I'm thinking of it as a tutorable way to stone wall marit lage token.
    It's also nice to copy Lodestone, puts a lot of pressure on the opponent if it hits the board fast.

Against Turbo Depths I'm not sure it works that often, since they often make the marit lage token at the end of your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
    It's also nice to copy Lodestone, puts a lot of pressure on the opponent if it hits the board fast.

Against Turbo Depths I'm not sure it works that often, since they often make the marit lage token at the end of your turn.
    I assumed he intended to Forgemaster for it. I'm still waiting for an upgraded Duplicant that actually can hit tokens.

Jan 2010
    UK

just tutor for Emperion - they have no way to remove it neither first game nor after sb

Quote Originally Posted by AmokPL View Post
    just tutor for Emperion - they have no way to remove it neither first game nor after sb
    Every lands list I've faced as of late, turbo depths or RG lands, is packing 3-4 krosan grips in sideboard.

Feb 2015
    Brazil

Every lands list I've faced as of late, turbo depths or RG lands, is packing 3-4 krosan grips in sideboard.
    it is still more reliable as they MD karakas and can crop rotate for it. Metamorph is good on paper, but it never really worked for me.

Jan 2010
    UK

not sure about Lands but Turbo Depths used to play one copy of Grip mostly to fight CB lock. These days they usually count on Decays.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Lands definitely runs 1-3 Grips in the board.

bruizar

I know space is tight for utility land, but this one fixes a major issue of the deck (selection)

And the league promo..

Jan 2010
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I know space is tight for utility land, but this one fixes a major issue of the deck (selection)

And the league promo..

I'd choose one of at least six different (IMHO more powerful )lands (Buried Ruin, Thespian Stage, second Fair, Factory, Wasteland, Citadel) before this one but that's just me. I do love the flavour of it though.

Feb 2015
    Brazil

Played a 46-man tournament yesterday, got 3rd place. Hadn't played a tournament in 6 months, so I guess it was good. List is basically Malfie's:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Cloudpost
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Cavern of Souls
    3 Vesuva
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Wasteland
    4 Metalworker
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Grim Monolith
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    2 Walking Ballista
    1 Staff of Domination
    1 Coercive Portal
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Lightning Greaves
    1 Scrap Trawler

SB: 4 Thorn of Amethyst
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 1 Steel Hellkite
    SB: 1 Orbs of Warding
    SB: 1 Batterskull
    SB: 1 Spine of Ish Sah
    SB: 2 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 All Is Dust
    SB: 2 Ensnaring Bridge

Round 1 - Maverick
    G1: I start with cloud post, then chalice for 1, then I can safely play a metalworker + ugin. Game ends before I get to see if it's aggro loam or maverick as I only saw a couple moxen, reliquary and GSZ for dryad.
    Side In: in ratchet bomb, all is dust.
    Side Out: Trinisphere, 1 ballista.

G2: I start ramping with posts, he wastes a cloudpost and plays ramunap excavator. I sink in my chair. Luckily, he didn't start breaking my lands soon enough and I get a spyglass to stop the LD. But the missing post is enough so I never get to 8 mana on time, so he overruns me with gaddock and relicary.

G3: I start with tomb for spyglass, see a plowshares, qasali pridemage, and other stuff. I lock qasali and ramp with 2 wurmcoils in hand, then draw another one and start casting one for turn.

1-0

Round 2 - Dredge
    G1: He starts discarding about 12 cards, I play tomb and chalice for 1. He slows down a bit, and I recover hp with glimmerpost while being hit by an ichorid. I drop a platinum emperion and he thinks for about 2 turns, then see he have no way to remove it.
    Side In : faeries, tormod's, ratchet bomb, batterskull, orbs of warding, hellkite.
    Side Out: 3 spyglass, trinisphere, trawler, portal, 1 chalice.

G2: I mull to a hand with glimmer, fair, cavern, monolith, metalworker, wurmcoil. He therapy my mw and I'm now in a bad position. Luckily, I draw a cloudpost, then another glimmer so I can ramp into an orbs of warding, then kuldotha for a blightsteel.

2-0

Round 3 - Dredge

G1: I start with cloudpost, he therapy me for metalworker, hitting one, but I draw another and combo.
    Side: same as before.

G2: He starts discarding and dredging about 15 cards. I get a lodestone but he destroys it with wear/tear and gets too many tokens for me to handle on turn 4.

G3: I keep a land heavy hand and get lots of mana and hp from glimmer before he can get out of my soft lock. I slow him down with tormod, but next turn he has 12 cards in GY again and ichorids start attacking. I halt him with kuldotha for emperion. Then I misplay. I had a chalice on 1 and another chalice in hand. I should've played it for 4 to counter dread return as he had already discarded 2 wear/tear. I cast it for 2 then 2 turns later he dreads Ashen rider. I sac it with kuldotha find an emperion to buy time, but he flashbacks therapy saccing the rider to eat it. I try to stall until I get hellkite or wurmcoil as we are both at 4 life. Then I draw a kuldotha but it never gets to untap.

2-1

Round 4 - Eldrazi
    G1: He starts quick dropping mimics and thought-knot and starts bashing. I go to 1 life, then stall with a wurmcoil, gaining 1 life a turn with inventor's fair. Then I get emperion into play, stabilizing for several turns. I waste his eye, but He gets endbringer online, drawing 3 cards a turn. The board gets cluttered and I cast a hellkite, that can't attack due to endbringer, but makes him draw 1 card less a turn and I get to draw more with a staff. He finally gets a ballista for 4, 1 dmg from endbringer and spatial contortion to finish the platinum emperion that I sacc for a blightsteel, so he doesn't attack. EOT I sacc other stuff for a spyglass, lock his endbringer and alpha strike with hellkite.
    Side in: batterskull, ratchet, hellkite, 2 bridge.
    Side Out: 2 ugin, 3 chalice.

G2: I keep an unfair hand, metalworker, tomb, greaves, hellkite, monolith, cloudpost. he starts with tomb to endless one. I go tomb monolith. He plays eldrazi temple and taps 4, I freeze... He goes endless one for 4. T2 I go greaves, metalworker, equip, tap, hellkite, equip, attacks him to 11, activate for zero destroying his two endless one. Much wow. T3 he drops smasher, so we are both at 9 life. On my turn I buff hellkite to 9 and go ftw.

3-1

Round 5 - Sneak & Show
    My opponent asks to ID and I deny, as it is not sure to lock in top 8 although I'm on table 2. He doesn't seem happy with that.

G1: I play a spyglass that eats a fow and start ramping for lodestone as he ponders. Lodestone comes down with greaves, then another lodestone and the game ends.

I'm not sure what he is on, so I sideboard lightly.
    Side in: 4 thorn.
    Side out: -2 kuldotha, -2 ugin.

G2: I burn some life with tomb to cast a metalworker and go for wurmcoil, but he S&T an emrakul. I'm at 14 life. I draw an invento'rs fair, but I don't have enough mana to fetch a staff, cast it and have 4 to survive.

Side in: spine, hellkite, 2 bridges.
    Side out: trawler, emperion, trinesphere, coercive portal.

G3: I spyglass. I see he have S&T, sneak attack, misty rainforest, scalding tarn and cantrips, so I name scalding tarn. He EOT BS, draw and go. I cast a chalice for one. He sighs, plays tarn and go. I build my board with 2 thorns and some other stuff for a few turns, as he can't play anything with an island and 2 scalding tarns in play. I misplay and give him one turn more than needed as I had staff combo assembled. that almost is enough for him to go off and win. Almost.

4-1

round 6 ID.
    I'm on table 1. Hooray!

top 8

Miracles
    Same guy I Id'ed. I played him years ago in the top 8 of a bigger tournament. He is skilled.

G1 - I burn some life with tomb, to cast a metalworker and lodestone with greaves, holding another one in hand as I saw a portent, so I know he is on miracles at turn 3. He casts terminus. 2 turns later, I play cavern, kuldotha, and fetch a blighsteel ftw.

SideIn: 4 thorns, ratchet bomb, batterskull.
    Sideout: Trawler, 1 grim monolith, 1 ballista, emperion.

G2 - I cast a thorn, He BS and allows. As I try to build my mana, he casts clique and takes away my lodestone. I start drawing cards with staff and he plays monastery mentor. I cast a spyglass on something I don't remember, and see jace and plowshares in his hand. he can't cast plowshares because of chalice. I play a cavern to kuldotha again, greaves, trinesphere, fetch blightsteel and my opponent tilts, trying to rollback an action to cast the plowshares before the trinesphere to get a token. I allow.. He chumpblock, and in his turn cast the jace, but he can't bounce blighsteel because of greaves.

Top 4

Burn
    Before I could get up and stretch my legs, the judge says we can start the match as the other tables are still playing.

G1 - I keep a post hand and get punished, as I don't get to attack fast enough.
    SideIn: Orbs of warding, 4 thorn, batterskull, ratchet bomb.
    Sideout: 2 ugin, trawler, 3 spyglass, coercive portal.

G2 - I play cloudpost and he goes goblin guide. I play glimmer and cast a chalice on 1. Next goes cloudpost into lodestone, then thorn + kuldotha. He gets slowed enough so I can cast an orbs of warding and emperion on the same turn and then ballista for 4 in the next, closing the game.

G3 - I keep a reasonable hand with a metalworker turn 2 and lodestone. But he gets T1 monastery, t2 monastery + lava spike t3 smithereens + rift bolt, t4 smithereens....
    Overall, the list seemed solid. Trawler only appeared in two matches and it wasn't relevant as I was already going to win anyway (eldrazi destroyed my emperion, so I kuldotha'ed, getting a wurmcoil back). I expected much more midrangey decks, where it could shine.
    metagame was:
    1 DAT
    3 Burn
    1 MonoRed Prison
    2 Dredge
    1 Lands
    1 MUD (me)
    4 Miracles
    2 Goblins
    4 Grixis Delver
    2 TES
    4 S&S
    3 ANT
    3 Elves
    1 Aggro Loam
    2 BR Reanimator
    1 Maverick
    1 Soldier Stompy
    1 RUG Delver
    1 Show and Tell
    1 BG Depths
    1 Cephalid Breakfast
    1 BUG Delver
    1 Eldrazi
    1 BUG Control
    1 Steel Stompy
    1 UW RIP
    1 UWx Stoneblade

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I haven't played legacy in a while but I feel like contributing with this: Weatherlight

With Sol Lands/Metalworker, it can easily come down early. Hard to remove as it becomes a non-creature at the end of turn (Mishra's Factory can man it if needed), it filters through the deck and grabs what you need (both artifacts and Ugin/Karn)

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I haven't played legacy in a while but I feel like contributing with this: Weatherlight

With Sol Lands/Metalworker, it can easily come down early. Hard to remove as it becomes a non-creature at the end of turn (Mishra's Factory can man it if needed), it filters through the deck and grabs what you need (both artifacts and Ugin/Karn)
    I think if we can crew this we would rather be attacking. Also we are not looking for specific things, more just a quantity of our cards so the howling mine effects do a pretty good approximation of the combat trigger. I think the new Karn is better suited to the deck than anything with the crew mechanic.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Apr 2018
    France

Hello everyone,

First of all, as this is my first post on this forum, thank you for all the analysis provided here. I really enjoyed reading your comments :)
    I am a MUD player for approximately 3 years now and I really love this deck. My best perf was at the first eternal week end (Europe) where I top16ed. I lost my final round on a misplay (being featured )
    Anyway, for now I run a list that is something like this :
    // Arpenteurs (2)
    2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    // Créatures (19)
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Steel Hellkite
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Metalworker
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    // Sorts (15)
    1 Staff of Nin / Coercive portal depending on my mood
    1 Staff of Domination
    2 Trinisphere
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Lightning Greaves
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Chalice of the Void
    // Terrains (24)
    2 Vesuva
    4 Cloudpost
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Wasteland
    4 Glimmerpost
    3 Cavern of Souls
    1 Inventor's Fair
    // SIDE DECK (15)
    SB: 1 Duplicant
    SB: 3 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Spine of Ish Sah
    SB: 1 Batterskull
    SB: 1 Orbs of Warding
    SB: 1 Coercive Portal
    SB: 2 Warping Wail
    SB: 1 Defense Grid
    SB: 1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    SB: 2 Thorn of Amethyst
    SB: 1 Ratchet Bomb

So as you can see, I didn't reinvent the wheel. Last friday I did a 3-1 and lost to the first (Czech pile). Usually I end at 4-0, 3-1 or 2-2.
    However I am feeling less and less confortable with the Czech pile MU. (as well as lands and maverick but those are the unwinnable MU :p)
    How do you usually play against these types of decks ?

Feb 2015
    Brazil

oh boy... EOT Ugin/blighsteel

Feb 2015
    Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Jorruk View Post
    Hello everyone,

First of all, as this is my first post on this forum, thank you for all the analysis provided here. I really enjoyed reading your comments :)
    However I am feeling less and less confortable with the Czech pile MU. (as well as lands and maverick but those are the unwinnable MU :p)
    How do you usually play against these types of decks ?
    Hello Jorruk, please post more often if you're able, every input is important.
    About the czech, they are very weak against land disruption, so any wastelands or sorcerous spyglass on their fetch can be fatal. Also they have zero ways to remove an Ugin. Since they're a grindy deck, I try to ramp with a trinisphere into wurmcoil or ugin. Use caverns for construct or wurm, as you may need ballista to remove strix and pws. You should be slightly favored against them.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Silverflame View Post
    oh boy... EOT Ugin/blighsteel

Just to slow - that one mana changes everything ~this~ vs metalworker:
    - Worker can just tap for mana and you can cast multiple threads
    - ~this require 4 more mana - compare it to quicksilver amulet - similar effect for creatures and see 0 play in legacy (lol - it was reprinted - I remember that card from Urza's Legacy).

Thread Information