Page 213 of 243 FirstFirst ... 113163203209210211212213214215216217223 ... LastLast
Results 4,241 to 4,260 of 4851

Thread: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Re: [Deck] MUD (Metalworker)

Here's the deck, which got 22nd place at Eternal Weekend 2017 (Source)

Congrats to the finish!

2 Walking Ballista
    4 Metalworker
    4 Lodestone Golem
    2 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    2 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Platinum Emperion
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Blightsteel Colossus

3 Chalice of the Void
    2 Grim Monolith
    1 Lightning Greaves
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Staff of Domination
    3 Trinisphere
    1 Bottled Cloister
    1 Coercive Portal
    1 Ghirapur Orrery
    1 All Is Dust
    1 Spine of Ish Sah
    1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Cavern of Souls
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Cloudpost
    4 Glimmerpost
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Petrified Field
    1 Thespian's Stage
    3 Vesuva

Sideboard:

2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Platinum Angel
    1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Orbs of Warding
    1 All Is Dust
    1 Karn Liberated

Not sure, if the author is active here on The Source, I'd really love to hear his input here, too.

A few interesting considerations from the author:
    Thorn of Amethyst better than Chalice, hence only 3 Chalice.
    No Wastelands because ramp is more important than disruption.
    Last edited by sco0ter; 10-24-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

What a hero. Definitely lots of ideas I'd like to try out:

- As you mentioned, no Wastelands is interesting, especially given what he replaced them with. Petrified Field and Stage are awesome tech.
    - Thorn is interesting. It's obviously insane against all the Delver what was running around, but he's also got a pretty high concentration of non-creature artifacts that get taxed by it.
    - A little surprised by Blightsteel when he's only running 2 Forgemasters. Would love to know if that was ever a problem for him.
    - I love the Cloister/Portal/Orrery split.
    - I also like the All Is Dust. Even though I'm partial to 2-3 Ugin, All Is Dust gets the job done at a slightly cheaper rate.
    - Ulamog in the board is interesting. How castable is it and what's it in there for?

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Hello all. I'm the guy who got 22nd. I wholeheartedly wish I knew this enormous stream on the deck existed say maybe 3 weeks ago or 4 years ago. Ive been on this deck a long-ass time, with nobody else to really bounce ideas off of. I'm here to take my medicine, as I have a friend who clued me into this site's existence. Feel free to ask me any questions about my deck my choices and my experience. Ps that it's not really relevant anymore I'm going to read this rather massive Guide to the deck and see what I agree on and what I disagree on and what from your experiences I might be able to do to make my own deck better. As I said though, my deck is different for the reasons of my own tailoring which I'd be happy to defend

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    What a hero. Definitely lots of ideas I'd like to try out:

- As you mentioned, no Wastelands is interesting, especially given what he replaced them with. Petrified Field and Stage are awesome tech.
    - Thorn is interesting. It's obviously insane against all the Delver what was running around, but he's also got a pretty high concentration of non-creature artifacts that get taxed by it.
    - A little surprised by Blightsteel when he's only running 2 Forgemasters. Would love to know if that was ever a problem for him.
    - I love the Cloister/Portal/Orrery split.
    - I also like the All Is Dust. Even though I'm partial to 2-3 Ugin, All Is Dust gets the job done at a slightly cheaper rate.
    - Ulamog in the board is interesting. How castable is it and what's it in there for?
    I'll answer these things first.

1) Wasteland takes me off tempo, too. It was and is good when there are creeping tar pits and inkmoth nexi running around. There were not and I assume that there wouldn't be.

2) I like Thorn better than chalice (did I really say that? Yes, yes I did). It's harder to deal with and remove. TYes, I get taxed by it too, and it comes out in some matches, which is why I usually run a fourth chalice in teh board along with teh Sphere of Resistance.

3) Yes, all is dust is basicall a cheaper overall one time Ugin. I did have two Ugins until I put in the fourth thorn, because well, 4 thorns. I like 2 Ugins better than one tho, and will wind up with it back in.

4) Dude, you do realize you can CAST blightsteel, lol. I won waaaay more games leadining up to teh event by floating a bazillion mana with metalwoker and staff and drawing my deck. Blightsteel got demoted to alt win con. With the two caverns main, I just cast Balista, make it uncounterable and ping to death. If balista gets needled or it is better to g1 not let an opponent know I run it, I default to drawing, casting, equipping and killing with blightsteel. People know that it exists, already. Forgemaster more often than not locks an opponent out with Sundering Titan under tax effects or hits a spine of ish sah so I can remove...whatever needs to die.

5) I mean, Ulamog CAN cast as early as turn 2-3 in a panic button sitcon. It's there to remove threats that are hard to deal with, or to deal with clogged elvie or fishie board states. I had a game that was a near mirror, vs eldrazi 10 post, where I exiled his win condition lands and then the rest of his deck. Really silly game.
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by malfie13 View Post
    Hello all. I'm the guy who got 22nd. I wholeheartedly wish I knew this enormous stream on the deck existed say maybe 3 weeks ago or 4 years ago. Ive been on this deck a long-ass time, with nobody else to really bounce ideas off of. I'm here to take my medicine, as I have a friend who clued me into this site's existence. Feel free to ask me any questions about my deck my choices and my experience.
    Welcome to The Source.

Let me ask you some questions please.

- What's your opinion on Moxen (Diamond and Opal)?
    - What can you say about different mana bases? It seems there are at least two different approaches:
    Sol-Lands + utility lands (also Wasteland), (aka traditional?)
    Sol-lands + 8-Post + Vesuvas (seems to be more popular since around 2015)
    - Have you ever played Goblin Welder MUD? Or splashed another color? If so, what's your experience?
    - Is there any way to find the singleton lands (Inventors' Fair, Stage, ..)? Does this deck need one at all?
    - What's your opinion on a more prison-style approach (e.g. Crucibles, Smokestack, Ensnaring Bridge, Ratched Bomb, Tangle Wire)
    - What about Voltaic Key and cutting Chalice, you don't like them anyway. I think older lists did it that way, too.
    - Explain us, how Petrified Field is better than lands like Mishra's Factory, Rishadan Port, Wasteland, Cavern of Souls.
    - What about +1 Steel Hellkite, -1 Wurmcoil Engine? Feels more flexible to me.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Fair enough.

1) Moxes are a no go. Chalice on zero happrns t1 way too often and they dont add enough value. Opal turns on when? T2 or 3? We are not affinity.

2) I blend 12 post with a few utility lands, hense why i only have 3-4 flex slots, imo. I run fair, field and 2 cavern in my flex land slots. The only one i was unsure of in this toruney was field. Its a hedge vs wasteland heavy decks, but i seemed to mainly avoid them.

3) Splashing colors is a generally terrible idea. Welder mud is a totally different stategy, which works better in painter than it does in mud.

4) Stax is not the stratgy I feel is strongest in legacy. It works well in vintage because although one might think its more explosive stax would be worse, but i disagree. When people count on explosions winning them the game stifling that is a great strategy. Ramp deck MUD strategies that just blow past traditional decks feels correct. Its why decls that run moxes, deathrite and or heirarchs do well, while others do not.

5) Chalice straight up wins g1s, or eats the first force. Some decks actually cannot beat it. I run 3x because i love to see it early, and occasionally for a late lock, but getting chalice flooded is a way to lose games. Dont let me running three make you think i dislike it. I dont particularly like key, and would just as soon run candellabra, at that point.

6) Field is not an attack land, its a defense land. It comes out untapped, and taps for mana and can get any land back from the pitch. It was a hedge that i only needed once. If i knew that was the track, i would have just run three caverns. As i said elsewhere, the heirarchy is 1. Cavern, 2. Factory, 3. Wasteland for utility amd power, imo.

7) The wurmcoil in the sb is usually a hellkite. I literally changed it while sitting in the room the morning of. I listen to my travelling companions and they were pretty low on elves and creature swarm decks. Ironically, i coulda used it vs fish. Death and taxes finds it s must answer as well, but wtv. Next go round its back in the board. I dont disagree.

In response to more than one tho, dont discount lifegain as a stategy in this deck. I was hovering bt 1 and 4 life on my opponents end step for multiple turns for multiple games in multiple non red matches. Having the utility 1 life gained each upkeep can be important, and one swing or block from a wurm can be game swinging, even if it does no damage to an opponent. For example i had a game where the board state for the duration of four turns before i won was me with no creatures managing the board with a staff, and a lot of mana drawing cards and running my opponent outta resources and my opponent with a stoneforge, a batterskull with a jitte and a snapcaster mage.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

If anyone is actively curious about how any specific matches fanned out, i did also post a tournament report. That is linked to the thread on reddit and i will link here. https://tinyurl.com/yav7r3je

Hi malfie13! Welcome to the source, and great job on the finish with MUD! It's my favorite deck and I have a lot of experience with it, though it's been on the shelf for me for a few months. I have a couple questions regarding your card choices.

How useful has petrified field been for you? What about inventor's fair?

Did you miss having the 2 other forgemasters so you can tutor your outs?

Did you play many matches against tempo/mana denial strategies like D&T or just decks with 4 wastelands? To me it looks like cutting 2 grim monolith could be pretty devastating.

Do you feel you still need 3 trinispheres along with the 4 thorn of amethyst?

I like the list, it kind of borrows some of the cards that a stax list might play, without the stax part (bottled cloister, ghirapur orrery, coercive portal, the crucible of worlds in the sideboard)

(I'm also very glad you mentioned MUD mulligans often in your report! That's a key part of playing the deck well, IMO)

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Thanks for your answers! You overlooked the one question about finding the singleton lands though, but there's probably no way.

1) Moxes are a no go. Chalice on zero happrns t1 way too often and they dont add enough value. Opal turns on when? T2 or 3? We are not affinity.
    Right. But Mox Diamond could come before Chalice on zero. I also assume that Chalice on 1 happens way more often than on 0.
    The idea is and was to facilitate turn 1 Trinisphere or Chalice on 1, if you don't have a Sol land.

Opal is probably bad here, unless you run Darksteel Citadel.

3) Splashing colors is a generally terrible idea. Welder mud is a totally different stategy, which works better in painter than it does in mud.
    Because why? Inconsistency issues? I think Welder MUD was the first deck, which made Forgemaster popular and I think in 2015 it was the more popular MUD deck. Nowadays people like more the monobrown Cloudpost MUD decks.

4) Stax is not the stratgy I feel is strongest in legacy. It works well in vintage because although one might think its more explosive stax would be worse, but i disagree. When people count on explosions winning them the game stifling that is a great strategy. Ramp deck MUD strategies that just blow past traditional decks feels correct. Its why decls that run moxes, deathrite and or heirarchs do well, while others do not.
    Not quite sure, what you want to say here. Is it like "better play threads, than answers"?

7) The wurmcoil in the sb is usually a hellkite. I literally changed it while sitting in the room the morning of. I listen to my travelling companions and they were pretty low on elves and creature swarm decks. Ironically, i coulda used it vs fish. Death and taxes finds it s must answer as well, but wtv. Next go round its back in the board. I dont disagree.
    I meant replacing one of the two Wurms in the maindeck with Hellkite, in order to have more tutor targets for Forgemaster.

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

If anyone is actively curious about how any specific matches fanned out, i did also post a tournament report. That is linked to the thread on reddit and i will link here. https://tinyurl.com/yav7r3je
    Thanks for the report! Interesting list.

I especially like the Ghirapur Orrery combined with Bottled Cloister. I was always afraid the opponent would also get to draw three cards hurting myself as well. Also Leovold scared me out of it, but depends on meta ofcourse.

I'm playing my 2-colorbrew MUD next month, I still like it (for reference see p.178)

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
    I'm playing my 2-colorbrew MUD next month, I still like it (for reference see p.178)
    Nice :-)

I love Cavern of Souls on "Artificer"! I've tried it sometimes in UR with Master Transmuter, but haven't found a satisfying list yet.
    I often found myself color screwed (guess I wanted too much, with 4 Wastelands).

And I can't use Cavern of Souls for the activation cost. But the same is true for your Stoneforge Mystic build, except it doesn't hurt as much.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

I walk away for five minutes....

Ok, so let me respond again, and here we go:

@ sco0ter

Cavern tends to go on Golem in gridny games and Construct in faster games. Both hit the majority of important targets. Construct is obviously usually more important under a thorn and chalice on one. Nice bolt/swords.

@ Airwave

I will check out the extra info on page 178, and as far as Leovold goes, just kill it and off to the races. Lol. I know, easier said than done. Ugin suddenly becomes the world's most expensive bolt. The bigger issue with Leo is that there are usually only two in an opposing deck, even if it is named 4c Leovold. The issue with the deck is K Command, not leo. Chalice on 3 hoses both, but then you're rliant on your cavern to cast workers. Depends on where you are in the game if that is a relevant consideration. I know I have personally been there.

@ Sco0ter's first series today

Wurms in the mainboard cannot be moved. If you have an elves and DT heavy meta I can see putting the Hellkite main. Even hits eldrazi from time to time. That said, Lifegain is a real issue mid game, and if we do not accrue some amount of it, mid game quickly becomes late game and we lose. I reallt want three wurms MB, but there's just no more changes I can make to get them in there, unless I remove a staff, which is the feel bads when you run two forgemasters.

I can absolutely see a Mox Diamon in teh MB as a maybe 2 of, but the issue is what to cut. Also, I would alter the build to MB the Crucible, then. And, then I'd be hard pressed to not include Wastelands with the MB moxes AND crucibles. Warrants thought.

As far as colorful metal goes, I think that colorless MUD's biggest strength, other than stupid amounts of ramp, and over the top spells, is not worrying about hitting color requisites. Once you have an online Welder, that's not really a worry. Until then you've got to have a fetch suite that eats into your land count. It would definitely be difficult in a post build, although great in a Dack UR build. At least as I see it. As far as what is the most popular or more popular of the builds, I have nothing for you. Lol. I really don't know the wider history of MUD, only the build I have been on for like 3 years.

Yea, I think what I am saying with the stax mention is that sometimes when you're playing a non-blue deck, it's like Judo. Pull until you push and then explode your opponent onto his or her back. A deck that is either overly aggressive or overly passive will have obvious and glaring weaknesses. They just will. I mean, my deck has holes in it. All Legacy decks have holes in them. It's not really possible for any deck to be weak to nothing.

As far as repeated mentions of the two forgemasters, they are a value engine to tutor answers when the night is blackest. They don't die to lightning bolt, but they don't also auto win games. I have come to the realization that the quickest, hardest, straightest path to victory is slamming someone to zero with a ballista. All other win cons have been marginalized. People who know of MUD decks, and their strategies, are usually expecting to be infected by a hasty Blightsteel Colossus. So, the first game I win, I tend to offer my opponent that fate if they haven't yet seen a balista in the deck, yard or my hand. I mean, floating a zillion mana, and playing every tax effect in the deck followed by all is dust, greaves and a blightsteel usually results in an auto scoop. Then I have the freedom to surprise my opponent with something else next game. PS, you can also equip the greves and pump your hellkite pre combat to a zillion/5 and kill them that way if they have no fliers. It also results in auto scoops with all the tax effects out.

Early game trinisphere tends to be where I wanna be. More decks have more trouble with trinisphere than any other tax effect as they are trying to cheat on spells. They only come out vs Show and Tell and other over the top decks. That's about it.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    Nice :-)

I love Cavern of Souls on "Artificer"!
    WR by Airwave list looks hilarious. Has it performed well in comp play? I mean, I can see when a meta adjusts to an artifact deck in its midst getting used to playing specific kinds of hate.... When you go into the deep waters, if often gets easier instead of harder to implement your diabolic plans. Lol I am legit curious how this performs for you, please keep us updated!

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

WR by Airwave list looks hilarious. Has it performed well in comp play? I mean, I can see when a meta adjusts to an artifact deck in its midst getting used to playing specific kinds of hate.... When you go into the deep waters, if often gets easier instead of harder to implement your diabolic plans. Lol I am legit curious how this performs for you, please keep us updated!
    I haven't seen anyone playing this.. like ever... and I don't play that much myself. But it has performed really well in a few smaller legacy tournaments I did take this list to.

It's nice to have an explosive list, there are many angles the deck can function around. Putting a lot of pressure on the opponent. It's surprisingly stable as well.

It is however more vulnerable against combo since both Trinisphere and Lodestone are lacking. Whereas Storm is sortof a bye normally for MUD, this is not the case with this list. Can't beat them all ofcourse

Oh btw I did make two changes compared to p.178 inbetween:
    -1 Staff of domination
    -1 Thousand-Year Elixir

+1 Smuggler's Copter
    +1 Thopter engineer

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Quote Originally Posted by ACME_Myst View Post
    Hey guys, whatsup?

So, I'm seriously considering getting back into Legacy after a 4 year break from Magic. Having always loved and often played Stax and it's various derivatives, I feel like it would be a really cool deck to pick up to get back into the game. Truth be told, budget concerns are not the least of my reasons, but having never played with Metalworker and Grim Monolith in this format, I'd like to see how that plays out.
    Anyway, not really having a team to seriously playtest with anymore, I'm turning to The Source to get some feedback on the list I'm working on.

My current draft of the maindeck:

// Lands (22)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Great Furnace
    2 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Mountain

// Engine(s) (11)
    4 Metalworker
    4 Goblin Welder
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster

// Moar mana (7)
    4 Grim Monolith
    3 Crucible of Worlds

// Beats (8)
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Steel Hellkite

// Bombs (2)
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Mindslaver

// Support/misc (10)
    4 Tangle Wire
    3 Lightning Greaves
    3 Faithless Looting

Some notes on the design philosophy I used:

- 22 lands is about 4-6 more than I've seen in most other lists. My reasoning was that
    a) In my (limited) experience, (Worker) MUD has a highly volatile manabase. Which is to say, it's super explosive, but equally fragile. Because I don't want to scoop to opposing Wasteland + counter on Metalworker, a more stable manabase seems really good.
    b) I hate forced mulligans because of manascrew. Contrariwise, it appears hard to be flooded in a deck with such high CMC cards.
    c) Half of your lands blow themselves up or get eaten by Welder and/or Forgemaster, and finally..

- .. neither Mox Opal nor Lotus Petal seems to really work for me. Opal is not proper acceleration, as it's virtually impossible to be metalcraft on turn 1 or 2, where it seems most useful. Petal is, obviously, but it's neither a persistent manasource nor really a target for Welder and Forgemaster.

- 3 Crucible seems really good, both to stabilize the manabase further and to do nasty trick with Welders and Wastelands.

- I'm running 4 Hellkite and have cut Wurmcoil Engine entirely. The reasoning here is that
    a) I'm severely lacking in board control, and this should remedy that somewhat.
    b) Because I'm trying to win by turning big dudes sideways, evasion seems really good.
    c) More board control synergizes better with my Tangle Wires and LD.
    d) Minor point, but it's Firebreath acts like a useful manasink.
    e) The above points outweigh both the increased synergy between Wurmcoil and Welder/Forgemaster, and the Wurm's lifelink ability.

- 4 Tangle Wire synergize with the overall LD plan, are insane with an active Welder, and just generally provide Time Walks all around.

- Only 2 bombs/dedicated Forgemaster targets, mostly to keep the amount of dead draws to a minimum. Of the two, Sundering Titan provides LD and a great body, while Mindslaver provides Time Walks at worst, an alternative wincondition at best, and is generally backbreaking against both combo and control.

Some random musings:
    - I would love to find room for Chalice, Phyrexian Metamorph, Grim Poppet, Spine of Ish Sah, Batterskull and tbh also Wurmcoils, but the list feels really tight as is.
    - I'm very much opposed to running 2-offs of anything in a deck with as little library manipulation as this, which seems to be in contrast to a lot of other builds I'm seeing. I'm wondering if nobody else has a problem with this?
    - [I'm being ninja'd by JadeOberg as I'm typing] Blood Moon seems really good in a deck like this, but I feel might be better off in a more Stax-like build.
    - Staff of Domination seems really win-more. If you have an active Metalworker and Kuldotha to find the Staff, along with three artifacts in hand, you should be winning anyway. I see no reason to run potentially dead, conditional cards.
    - Blightsteel Colossus also seems really win-more, as he's a bitch to hardcast, the poison doesn't work very well with the deck's main route to victory which is damage dealing, and again, active Kuldotha (+ Greaves) should let you win with less conditional cards.
    - Myr Battlesphere hasn't been as insane as I thought he was, but again this is from very limited testing.
    - Overall, I feel the deck would improve in both consistency and stability by moving away from utility-oriented combo-esque builds, towards a more tempo-oriented aggro-control style version.

So, again, most of this is just theorizing as I've been out of the game for some time and am severely lacking in good playtest partners. Advice would be really welcome, especially with regard to specific matchups that I may have greatly weakened with this build. From what I can see, this is going to at least die horribly to Sneak Attack/Hivemind, but I feel most of the other DtB's aren't as bad, at least.

TL;DR: I'm trying to make this deck slightly less explosive, in return for increased consistency and stability. Thoughts?
    List looks interesting. Did you happen to see the list generated by one of my opponents in ew? He ran a mono black mudpost abyss braid stax deck. Super spicey. I believe he posted in the t64. It was good considering that there were like 750 players.

Anyway, there are a lot of matches where you need wurmcoil. Im a madman, and dont mine running several 2 to 3 of cards is im drawing tons or tutoring. Lifegain can be relevant and 1 life per staff activation isnt great.

I do like stax control if you can poop out prison pieces early, for sure. I know you say you dobt have a team to test with, and if you lived on long island id be happy to help, but proxying common and especially bad matches and running vs them helps a lot, evem vs yourself. I play 1 rd vs delver and 1 rd vs either lands or dd combo every morning with mud to keep myself sharp vs annoying common matches. I may also proxy d and t, as i have found it occasionally tricky on the draw.

Would you consider one fewer card, perhaps a city, for an inventors fair. Its a busted card bc of the tutor effect and the incidental lifegain seems relevant.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

For the sake, ive reverted to 2 ugin mb, and moved the spine to sb. Spine is much better when youve got 3 to 4 forgemasters mb and see them every game. I kinda. wanna jam a hellkite mb, too. Dunno what im moving for it other than maybe trinisphere, but three ball tends to win games.

Sundering titan can be the nuts. If your opponent is more than one color, and isnt lands anyway. It is a cunky monkey, anyway. Stays in evem vs d and t. Nice 4c deck, dude. Gotta deathrite on board? Keen. Ya gots no lands.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

I play 1 rd vs delver and 1 rd vs either lands or dd combo every morning with mud to keep myself sharp vs annoying common matches.
    WTF. I can't believe. Where do you take all this time from?

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Helps to work nights. I also sometimes vs myself using my modern dredge deck vs eldrazi and death shadow, which the also the worst and the most common matches for me with dredge.

Feb 2015
    Brazil

Malfie13 how has Sorcerous Spyglass fared for you?

Jan 2010
    UK

Wouldn't maindeck Spheres of Resistance be overall better than Thorns?

Thread Information